PDA

View Full Version : 5 Ridiculous Gun Myths Everyone Believes (Thanks to Movies)

jackb
06-24-2011, 10:06 PM
http://www.cracked.com/article_18576_5-ridiculous-gun-myths-everyone-believes-thanks-to-movies.html

Myth #3 begins "Somehow your best laid plans have gone awry, and now a bunch of Libyans in a Volkswagen van are out for your blood."

6 Deadly Injuries You Think You'd Survive (Thanks to Movies) (http://www.cracked.com/article_18862_6-deadly-injuries-you-think-youd-survive-thanks-to-movies.html) also mentions BTTF.

Roman Legion
06-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Whoever is writing these articles is generally correct and a very pissed off person.. I like that! lol

Renee_1632
06-25-2011, 10:54 AM
They're sort of right about most of our (military) weapons not having automatic ability. It's a question I get a lot, but the M4 Carbine (what I shoot) and the M-16A2/A4 only have an option for "semi" and "burst". "Semi" is normal as in, one trigger pull=one shot. Burst is one trigger pull=three shots. It's really fun on the one or two times a year I fire on burst, but if you aren't muscling the weapon correctly, the M-16A2/A4 can knock you on your butt, particularly smaller shooters.

Roman Legion
06-25-2011, 11:22 AM
They're sort of right about most of our (military) weapons not having automatic ability. It's a question I get a lot, but the M4 Carbine (what I shoot) and the M-16A2/A4 only have an option for "semi" and "burst". "Semi" is normal as in, one trigger pull=one shot. Burst is one trigger pull=three shots. It's really fun on the one or two times a year I fire on burst, but if you aren't muscling the weapon correctly, the M-16A2/A4 can knock you on your butt, particularly smaller shooters.

The first time I fired my weapon on burst was a M16A2 and I cannot even tell you where the rounds hit.. For the most part, we (Army) keep our weapons on semi, which I am sure the Marines do as well. Burst is worthless and a waste of rounds, but like automatic fire, can be used for suppresive fire. The other time I used burst was with the M4 and I was only doing it after qualification to burn off the unit's extra ammo as we cannot turn in opened ammo. Ever notice how in movies someone can pick up a dead guy's weapon and hit things dead on.. The weapon is not zeroed for him, so his aim would be somewhere, doubtful it would where he wanted it to be..lol

jmrydholm
06-25-2011, 07:00 PM
I don't currently own any guns, but if I did, I'd really love a good, old, well-maintained Springfield 1903 or a similar copy. (With a Carl Zeiss scope!) :cool1: My dad has one of their .45 XD model pistols.

-John

SamHill
06-25-2011, 11:21 PM
The first time I fired my weapon on burst was a M16A2 and I cannot even tell you where the rounds hit.. For the most part, we (Army) keep our weapons on semi, which I am sure the Marines do as well. Burst is worthless and a waste of rounds, but like automatic fire, can be used for suppresive fire. The other time I used burst was with the M4 and I was only doing it after qualification to burn off the unit's extra ammo as we cannot turn in opened ammo. Ever notice how in movies someone can pick up a dead guy's weapon and hit things dead on.. The weapon is not zeroed for him, so his aim would be somewhere, doubtful it would where he wanted it to be..lol

Heh, M4s. When I started my first job in the 90s, all our M4s had full auto. (Not so today!) Have always hated them. The point that auto was worthless except for sound and fury was driven home rather quickly when the instructor quickly sprayed the targets for demonstration and nothing hit. And I hated that they seemed to jam all the damn time. Doubtless that the things weren't even properly cleaned (the "total" breakdown that takes several hours, that is. I could never do that.) I've never been SWAT so I have no idea how to zero in a rifle. All in all, just give me a shotgun and a handgun and I'm happy. If it's over 50 yards, I'll be in the rear with the gear.

dvonk
06-26-2011, 12:30 AM
haha, loved those articles. thanks for the laugh. :biggrin:

Dracula
06-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Heh, M4s. When I started my first job in the 90s, all our M4s had full auto. (Not so today!) Have always hated them. The point that auto was worthless except for sound and fury was driven home rather quickly when the instructor quickly sprayed the targets for demonstration and nothing hit. And I hated that they seemed to jam all the damn time. Doubtless that the things weren't even properly cleaned (the "total" breakdown that takes several hours, that is. I could never do that.) I've never been SWAT so I have no idea how to zero in a rifle. All in all, just give me a shotgun and a handgun and I'm happy. If it's over 50 yards, I'll be in the rear with the gear.

Now imagine using an M4 for a year in desert conditions where sand gets EVERYWHERE and you carry the rifle constantly through God-only-knows-what. Mine would jam after EVERY SINGLE ROUND, even when it was just cleaned and if I had ever needed to shoot it repeatedly to save my life, I was screwed. Now, it's not like this was a worn-out used one, either. It was brand new and unused before I received it. Though, I'd have felt safer with a baseball bat.

Renee_1632
06-26-2011, 11:53 PM
Now imagine using an M4 for a year in desert conditions where sand gets EVERYWHERE and you carry the rifle constantly through God-only-knows-what. Mine would jam after EVERY SINGLE ROUND, even when it was just cleaned and if I had ever needed to shoot it repeatedly to save my life, I was screwed. Now, it's not like this was a worn-out used one, either. It was brand new and unused before I received it. Though, I'd have felt safer with a baseball bat.

Really? I just went on our qualification range last week with an M4 for the first time (I'd used a M-16A2/M16A4 prior to this.) I found it vastly superior. Previously I'd shot a low Marksman (our lowest classification), but shot expert with the carbine. I also only had one jam, still MUCH better than with my A4. Granted, I didn't get the M4 until after I returned from deployment, but there was still decent carbon buildup and dirt throughout the shooting week.

Was your weapon ever LTI'd?

Roman Legion
06-26-2011, 11:59 PM
I have only used the A4 once, my last unit was combat support, so we had the M4; this new unit has the old A2's and I still shoot Sharpshooter.. Always just barely miss Expert.. :angry4:

Also,

"LTI'd"?

Dracula
06-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Not familiar with "LTI" either. The M4 did fine prior to the deployment; my qualification suffered because we were required to use the CCO, but by the first month it was worthless.

Renee_1632
06-27-2011, 12:28 AM
Not familiar with "LTI" either. The M4 did fine prior to the deployment; my qualification suffered because we were required to use the CCO, but by the first month it was worthless.

Not sure what the Army calls it. It's when your armory function checks your weapon beyond a regular function check (the put it on safe, pull trigger, take it off safe, listen for hammer...etc) I'm just saying it sounds like an issue with your M4. Or your magazines. Did you stretch your springs out regularly?

Roman Legion
06-27-2011, 02:50 AM
Not sure what the Army calls it. It's when your armory function checks your weapon beyond a regular function check (the put it on safe, pull trigger, take it off safe, listen for hammer...etc) I'm just saying it sounds like an issue with your M4. Or your magazines. Did you stretch your springs out regularly?

No idea, I do my own functions check to whatever weapon they hand me to sign out.. I have no weapon that is 'mine'..lol So I am used to getting a neglected rifle.. Last one still had sand from New Mexico in it.. Someone failed to clean anything, must have been HHC's weapon before; you should have seen the amount of carbon and sand in the star chamber alone.. WOW! Talk about filthy.. Also, I don't think I have ever stretched out my springs before..