View Full Version : How To: Cargo Net Refurbished

Byrne H&A
10-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Tools Needed:
2 small needle nose pliers.
1 large pliers
1 scissor
Materials Needed:
Black Stretch Cord (Harbor Freight 99891)
½” I.D. thin wall copper or aluminum tubing 1 1/2” long
Cut tube open on side and spread sides into a “U” shape.

Is the net beginning to sag due to loss of elasticity of the outer stretch cord? The cord along the outer edge of the net can be replaced with a 5/16” diameter stretch cord available from HF and the amount provided is sufficient for two nets. Remove the complete net by separating the stretch cord from the four “S” shaped hooks along the bottom edge of the net. Open that part of S hook that holds the cord but do not open the portion that secures the hook to the anchor ring. Lay net on a floor and place an object on each of the four corners without stretching the net. Cut HF cord in half and weave into net beside side of OEM cord. There will be excess cord to cut off after inserting each end through the “U” shape tube. Do not cut off excess cord until installed and tension adjusted. Cut and remove OEM cord. Reinstall net and place on net hooks located below window. Distribute netting evenly between window hooks and bottom hooks. Draw opposite cord ends through tube to create uniform tension between all hooks. Maintain tension and crimp the “U” shaped tube to hold cord ends. Cut off excess cord lengths.

Nicholas R
10-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Have you any pictures of this process? That would certainly be extremely helpful.

Byrne H&A
10-31-2012, 02:33 PM
Have you any pictures of this process? That would certainly be extremely helpful.

Pictures were not taken. Suggest you look at the net and read the procedure. I would happy to provide answers to questons. Byrne

Shep
10-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Pictures were not taken. Suggest you look at the net and read the procedure.Any chance of doing another one and taking pictures? Reading the verbage here, it's hard to figure out what's happening without pictures of the process :hmm:

Nicholas R
10-31-2012, 11:52 PM
Any chance of doing another one and taking pictures? Reading the verbage here, it's hard to figure out what's happening without pictures of the process :hmm:

That was my thought. :reading:

wrkey
05-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Want to say thanks for this handy How-To.

I went to Harbour freight and bought the cord he recommends and while it was a tad bit larger than the original, it works very well. I followed his instructions and had no difficulty in getting it done.

Basically, you simply lay out the net with the old cord still in place and as you feed in the new cord you pull out the old cord. I cut the old cord in the top center and started my 'threading there. This allowed me to thread in on half from one direction and the other half the other direction. Thus I wasn't trying to pull the whole lenght of the cord through all the net loops as I neared the end of the effort.

My net now fits and looks great, except for the passenger side. But this is because the PO either busted out or removed the 2 left most 'O-Screws' that the 'S-Hooks' fit into. But I'll soon replace those and I'm sure things will look great.

Pictues on this wasn't necessary for me and I suspects others will find it just as simple.

Thanks again for the post the 'cheap fix'!

ALEXAKOS
05-14-2013, 12:26 PM
What? Another one did this procedure and we missed it? Damn! hahaha
Okay, next one reading this thread on how to, PLEASE do us the favor and spare a couple of minutes taking pics.

Dearly appreciated:)

Stainless
06-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Here's a thread with pictures of how I ended up replacing the bungee cord around the cargo net:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?4499-Luggage-net-anchors-hooks/page2