PDA

View Full Version : Malcolm Bricklin is Ridiculous!

tyb323
06-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Watch this video, listen to what he says about DeLoreans near the halfway point...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NosbiOsjO4

Way to make these claims once DeLorean can't fight back...

louielouie2000
06-25-2011, 01:15 PM
I remember when this first aired on tv a couple of years ago. I don't doubt most of what Bricklin said is true... DeLorean was always known to be a bit flakey, very self-motivated, etc. I wouldn't doubt DeLorean used Bricklin as a stepping stone to leave GM & build his own car. Regarding the DMC-12 being "an exact copy" of Bricklin's initial prototype though, that's obviously absurd. The absolute only thing the two cars share is gullwing doors.

However, perhaps Bricklin meant DeLorean stole the whole "safety" theme of the Bricklin and simply rebadged it as "ethical." (Not a very 'ethical' thing to do, is it?) I can't say I doubt John did exactly that. It was his way to get his foot in the door of car building; it was the schpiel he could sell. That being said, Bricklins and DeLoreans couldn't be any more structurally or mechanically different. DeLorean may have stolen the concept, but he certainly made it his own in the end.

Dracula
06-25-2011, 03:43 PM
The profiles also have a little in common, but, mechanically, there are a few things in common: both use R12 refrigerant, run on unleaded gas, have electrical issues, and gullwing doors. There may be a few more, like both use rubber tires, but you get the idea.

pezzonovante88
12-11-2011, 04:51 PM
They're definitely similar in many ways, but also very different. I can't say that I doubt JZD had some 'inspiration' when designing the DMC-12. However, the D is most definitely a finer, more refined vehicle regarding styling, engineering, and build. Interesting stuff anyway.

Michael
12-11-2011, 06:25 PM
1972? Didn't Giorgetto Giugiaro design the car after the company was founded in 1976, and continue to tweak the design until the late 70's?

thirdmanj
12-11-2011, 06:58 PM
1972? Didn't Giorgetto Giugiaro design the car after the company was founded in 1976, and continue to tweak the design until the late 70's?

That was my thought too.

DMCVegas
12-16-2011, 10:32 AM
The only item that ever bared any resemblance between the SV-1 and the DeLorean project was a prospectus that laid out the uses of GRP and had a picture of a fake sports car. But even that's a stretch with it's Countach wing on the back. From there Giugiaro started with the clay mock-ups with I believe the first one having a "JZD" badge on the front grill. After this initial design was complete, Bill Collins stepped in and implemented HIS design of the two separate sub-frames that would be held together by the composite body.

The only other footnote I'm 90% sure of as De Lorean himself and the DMC-12 relate to Bricklin and the SV-1 is the fact that yes, De Lorean and Bricklin were in discussions to have JZD come and work for Bricklin. However after seeing the car, he was appalled by it's interior. Even Bricklin himself was quoted by magazines as say something like he 'wanted to build cars for people who didn't know shit about cars: Me.' and referenced himself. After seeing how kit car-like the interior was with the VDO gauges everywhere, that's when he decided that with the DMC-12 he wanted every thing that a person could touch or see to be unique to the car. But for reliability purposes, standard off-the-shelf parts and gear for the hidden mechanicals.

I don't know JZD personally, but from what I've read I'm sure that his goal wasn't simply to take over BMC, but he probably initiated impossible demands to either get himself out of his prior commitment rather than bow out, or to give himself control to complete the project as it needed to be done if Bricklin had caved into his demands. I can also easily believe that once BMC went under, that JZD would have tried to buy the rights to the SV-1. It would have been a cheap way to add to DMC's portfolio of cars, and he could very easily have improved the car beyond what Bricklin was capable of. Partnering Giugiaro with Lotus gave us the necessary version of the DMC-12. But there would have been another beauty in the stable if Herb Grasse could have been partnered with Bill Collins to further the SV-1's development and eventual evolution.