PDA

View Full Version : General Courtesy light switch enhancement

rockola1454
11-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Hi, all! Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong location, just figured I should share.

I've had trouble over the last couple years with the courtesy light switches. They work for a few months, but slowly "sink" into the soft gray piece until they eventually get too far away from the door to disconnect. I've bought a couple rounds of new switches and scooted my gray piece as far toward the door as I could, but the switches always become problematic in the end for me.

I noticed over time they don't sink straight into my gray piece, but rather pivot at the screw. I assume this is because door-closing naturally applies downward force.

Rather than try replacing my gray piece, I created a backing piece for the switches out of Lexan I was able to pickup at Lowe's. Using a dremel tool, I made a shape like the surface of the gray piece, then just drilled holes for the switches and screws. I was able to use all the original hardware.

It's been on since April, and the switches still work fine, no longer "sinking". The result isn't bad-looking to me, and has the added benefit of scooting the switches toward the door another 1/8". So if anybody else has this problem and doesn't mind the appearance, enjoy! :)

-Chris

Dangermouse
11-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Nice solution, thanks for sharing

Ryan King
11-09-2012, 02:54 AM
My car has a similar modification that to my knowledge was done at DMC-CA. Ill try to post photos later on.