PDA

View Full Version : The USS Enterprise....

thirdmanj
11-05-2012, 10:00 AM
...no bloody "A", "B" , "C" , or "D"

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/05/y9avavut.jpg

Kenny_Z
11-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Very cool. It'll be sad to see the old girl torn down.

thirdmanj
11-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Very cool. It'll be sad to see the old girl torn down.

It'll be a long time before that happens. Hopefully they'll turn her hulk into a reef and send her down in style a la "Star Trek III" style.

You know if there's enough interest, I could probably contact the Norfolk Naval Base PR office and see if we could get a bunch of DeLoreans together for a photo op/car show. Not sure what the two really have to do with one another. But any excuse to get a grouping is cool!

jackb
11-05-2012, 11:49 AM
...no bloody "A", "B" , "C" , or "D"
:rofl: LOLOLOL

thirdmanj
11-05-2012, 12:02 PM
:rofl: LOLOLOL

Somebody get Michael in on this, so I can say, "Mine's bigger than yours"!!! :hysterical:

Edit: "Relics" is perhaps my favorite TNG episode.

Dangermouse
11-05-2012, 12:14 PM
It'll be a long time before that happens. Hopefully they'll turn her hulk into a reef and send her down in style a la "Star Trek III" style.

You know if there's enough interest, I could probably contact the Norfolk Naval Base PR office and see if we could get a bunch of DeLoreans together for a photo op/car show. Not sure what the two really have to do with one another. But any excuse to get a grouping is cool!

park them all in a row with the doors up, carefully positioned so it looks like the ship is resting on the doors. You picture is almost there.

Nicholas R
11-05-2012, 12:32 PM

Edit: "Relics" is perhaps my favorite TNG episode.

DAMN you beat me too it!

Is it sad that I knew exactly what episode this quote was from, lol? Relics is by far one of the best TNG episodes of all. It's got Mr. Scott, a Dyson Sphere, the TOS bridge, and Scotty and Picard drinking!!!

thirdmanj
11-05-2012, 12:33 PM
DAMN you beat me too it!

Is it sad that I knew exactly what episode this quote was from, lol? Relics is by far one of the best TNG episodes of all. It's got Mr. Scott, a Dyson Sphere, the TOS bridge, and Scotty and Picard drinking!!!

Yup. Every time I see it I get this peculiar urge to get my vacuum out and clean... While drinking.

Nicholas R
11-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Yup. Every time I see it I get this peculiar urge to get my vacuum out and clean... While drinking.

HAHA!!! TNG really does have a way of sucking you into the action.

Tillsy
11-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Synthetic scotch, synthetic commanders...

Kenny_Z
11-05-2012, 04:08 PM

If I remember the article I read right she's considered too radioactive to turn into a reef and the way they have to remove the reactors is going to severely impact the structure so she may not even be able to be towed to a reef location.

It'd be awesome if they could all get up on deck. Obviously not going to happen without a crane and some cash greasing some wheels. Imagine the image of a Delorean wings up ready to launch off the deck. That'd look cool.

Nicholas R
11-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Synthetic scotch, synthetic commanders...

Actually, if you watched the episode, you would know that this is one of the ONLY episodes where they drink real alcohol. :biggrin:

Mr. Scot: "What is it?"
Data: "It is green"

Picard later says that it is Aldebaran Whiskey and that he gave it to Guinan.

thirdmanj
11-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Actually, if you watched the episode, you would know that this is one of the ONLY episodes where they drink real alcohol. :biggrin:

Picard later says that it is Aldebaran Whiskey and that he gave it to Guinan.

Nerds.

(Guilty )

Tillsy
11-06-2012, 06:46 AM

I was quoting Scotty - Data grabs the real stuff immediately after Scotty makes that remark, which is in response to Data's clarification to why Scotty hates what he was served (Laddie I was drinking scotch a hundred years before you were born and whatever this is ain't scotch).

From memory Data stutters the line as - "it is... it is... it is green", which I recall Scotty making a similar remark in the original series so obviously a joke reference :)

That said, while Relics is one of my favourites it also shits me. The Enterprise becomes trapped inside the Dyson sphere and barely pulls itself into orbit of the enclosed sun because its systems were overloaded by the tractor beam, putting the crew and ship in grave danger because they cannot get any further away from the sun, yet:

1. When Geordi and Scotty wedge the Jenolan in the way of the hatch the Enterprise is immediately able to fly over to it - so pretending systems were restored by this point why didn't Picard already move them away from the sun? Frustrated me they set up such a major plot element and then completely forget about it.
2. They need to destroy the Jenolan for the Enterprise to get through the hatch, even though you can clearly see the shields are not extended over the entire hatch opening and the Enterprise could have fit through
3. The Enterprise beams Geordi and Scotty off the Jenolan while its shields are UP!!!
4. The transporter effect onboard the Jenolan was from the original series, which was a nice touch but flawed because the Jenolan was fitted with Undiscovered Country era technology (not LCARS but clearly an evolution toward it, so should have had Undiscovered Country era transporter effect).

We do know #3 is theoretically possible, O'Brien was able to do it to get onboard the Pheonix in The Wounded when Maxwell wouldn't drop their shields, but O'Brien was a transporter legend AND he personally knew how to specifically put the effort in to achieve that... given O'Brien is chief engineer of DS9 at the time I have to pretend he programmed his theory into the transporter system for them to have so easily done this.

ramblinmike
11-06-2012, 06:54 AM
I was quoting Scotty - Data grabs the real stuff immediately after Scotty makes that remark, which is in response to Data's clarification to why Scotty hates what he was served (Laddie I was drinking scotch a hundred years before you were born and whatever this is ain't scotch).

From memory Data stutters the line as - "it is... it is... it is green", which I recall Scotty making a similar remark in the original series so obviously a joke reference :)

That said, while Relics is one of my favourites it also shits me. The Enterprise becomes trapped inside the Dyson sphere and barely pulls itself into orbit of the enclosed sun because its systems were overloaded by the tractor beam, putting the crew and ship in grave danger because they cannot get any further away from the sun, yet:

1. When Geordi and Scotty wedge the Jenolan in the way of the hatch the Enterprise is immediately able to fly over to it - so pretending systems were restored by this point why didn't Picard already move them away from the sun? Frustrated me they set up such a major plot element and then completely forget about it.
2. They need to destroy the Jenolan for the Enterprise to get through the hatch, even though you can clearly see the shields are not extended over the entire hatch opening and the Enterprise could have fit through
3. The Enterprise beams Geordi and Scotty off the Jenolan while its shields are UP!!!
4. The transporter effect onboard the Jenolan was from the original series, which was a nice touch but flawed because the Jenolan was fitted with Undiscovered Country era technology (not LCARS but clearly an evolution toward it, so should have had Undiscovered Country era transporter effect).

We do know #3 is theoretically possible, O'Brien was able to do it to get onboard the Pheonix in The Wounded when Maxwell wouldn't drop their shields, but O'Brien was a transporter legend AND he personally knew how to specifically put the effort in to achieve that... given O'Brien is chief engineer of DS9 at the time I have to pretend he programmed his theory into the transporter system for them to have so easily done this.

Just wow.

Rhsxo
11-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Just wow.

Yea I said the same thing.

It's sad that I was actually able to follow along with that entire post. lol

That's what you get when your a kid and obsessed with Star Trek. :)

thirdmanj
11-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Just wow.

:werd:

I thought there was a pretty good nerd vibe going from the start... but jeezus.

Dangermouse
11-06-2012, 07:54 AM
I want to to think that there was extensive research and thought put into that post, but I know that Chris just typed it from memory. Weirdy impressive

Tillsy
11-06-2012, 08:12 AM
I want to to think that there was extensive research and thought put into that post, but I know that Chris just typed it from memory. Weirdy impressive

I want to think that too, but alas you are spot on - watching every TNG episode so many times as a teenager leaves a rather permanent imprint of every scene, detail, and flaw even 20 years later! :eek7:

Dangermouse
11-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Were your ears burning as we typed the above few posts halfway around the world :)

Michael
11-06-2012, 12:08 PM
As someone who has not one but 2 lighted model Enterprises in his office as well as a Millennuim Falcon....this is just too nerdy for me.:yoda:

thirdmanj
11-06-2012, 12:09 PM
As someone who has not one but 2 lighted model Enterprises in his office as well as a Millennuim Falcon....this is just too nerdy for me.:yoda:

Nicholas R
11-06-2012, 12:38 PM

My apologies for doubting you, and let me just say that I am impressed.

Does anyone remember when Andrew Probert gave his talk about his work on STTNG at the 2010 DCS? Man I wish he would give that presentation again.

dmc6960
11-06-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned yet the HUGE loophole this episode setup the series for with the movie Generations.

After Scotty is rematerialized on the Jenolan, his first though is that "Captain Kirk himself probably led the rescue party" (quote from memory as well, could be a little bit off).

Years later in the movie, Generations, Scotty is present for the death of Captain Kirk onboard the new Enterprise B, which would of had to had taken place before his marooning on the Jenolan.

Sidetracking (or sidetrekking?) a bit, does anybody else really like the background music for the episode "Booby Trap"? Better yet, anyone have high-def recordings of the music?

Tillsy
11-06-2012, 03:32 PM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned yet the HUGE loophole this episode setup the series for with the movie Generations.

Oh god don't get me stated, Generations IS a fault - what a disaster of a movie... :(

Data decides he wants to try his emotion chip AGAIN. Okay no worries let's go get it - err, why is it now like 10 times the size it was a few years ago?!?

Let's kill off Picard's brother and nephew he had touchingly reunited with back in The Family purely to get Picard upset. Seriously?

Soran wipes out entire worlds to make the Nexus come to him because you can't fly into it with a ship as the ship would be destroyed - why would he care about the ship, as long as he ends up in the Nexus? And of course, the entire reason he knows about being in the Nexus is that is exactly HOW he got into it in the first place.

Picard beams down to Veridian 3 in a prisoner exchange with Geordi. One would think this was via the Klingon ship, but Picard rematerialises on Veridian 3 with a federation transporter effect not Klingon. Okay so he went direct - so why does he no longer have his communicator on? FFS...

The Klingon's fit a transmitter to Geordi's VISOR and see perfect video (well other than dropouts here and there), but we know from TNG that the VISOR does not see video it sees an insane amount of spectrum which we saw once when a transmitter was fitted previously.

The Klingon's see the Enterprise's shield modulation and fire through it - ugggghhhh, the Borg did that four years prior and the crew very quickly realised to change their modulation. PLUS, it became standard issue for starships to be retrofitted with shields that constantly change modulation. But let's pretend all that failed, AND the crew just didn't think to change it when Worf says "the Klingons have found a way to penetrate our shields". Yeah no worries Riker, let's just order a move out of orbit that you'll continue to be shot up during.

For that matter, when they set up their means to destroy the Klingon ship Riker orders Worf to fire torpedos the "instant they begin to cloak". But when the ship starts to cloak there is that pause as we look at all the actors standing there dumb, then Riker has to order "fire" because Worf didn't do a thing but stand there looking at the view screen as well.

And of course they do get damaged and are about to have a warp core breach - so hey, why bother ejecting the warp core let's just evacuate to the saucer section and try and fly away from a reactor explosion at impulse... so of course that doesn't work and both halves end up destroyed in the process. No friggen worries., bye bye almighty galaxy class Enterprise D :( :( :(

Don't get me started on the constantly switching uniforms - one minute TNG era uniforms the next they were DS9/VOY uniforms the next back to TNG?!

Yep, Kirk dies WITH Scotty onboard to fully be aware of and thus creating a conflict with Relics written two years earlier!

Not worth wasting further time on that movie... :( :( :( :(

thirdmanj
11-06-2012, 03:38 PM
And doesn't it bug you how the Klingon bird if prey explosion was the exact same one they used in Star Trek VI?! Yeah I agree, that movie was a complete abortion. Perhaps even worse than V. Word to wise, never let Shatner get creative. (mad cow disease)

Edit: Tillsy is my match in Nerdvana.

dmc6960
11-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Hmm, with that kind of knit-picking its hard to imagine you enjoying any movie.

I for one enjoyed Generations as my favorite TNG movie. Sometimes you just gotta relax and enjoy the big picture, not all the little ones.

dmc6960
11-06-2012, 03:40 PM
And doesn't it bug you how the Klingon bird if prey explosion was the exact same one they used in Star Trek VI?!

Yes, I definately do agree with this.

thirdmanj
11-06-2012, 03:43 PM

I for one enjoyed Generations as my favorite TNG movie. Sometimes you just gotta relax and enjoy the big picture, not all the little ones.

He's not really nit picking. That thing with Scotty on the Enterprise B is a HUGE plot hole. You can let a few things go sure but too many glaring potholes and you lose the suspension of disbelief of it all.

Dangermouse
11-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Mental note : stop clicking on this thread, Dermot! Nothing to see here......

Tillsy
11-06-2012, 04:21 PM

it's the other way around - I was so obsessed with TNG and the detail and effort they went to with it that it was WHY I would get caught up in it and in the process spot the flaws. I could write an equally big list of things I loved...

The new Enterprise B now had the TNG era door sound effect - one of countless evolutions bridging between the two eras/generations of Star Trek such as computer consoles, etc.

While sifting through wreckage Picard picks up the statue (cant recall the name of it) professor Galen gave him in The Chase.

LCARS was updated to turn a red theme at red alert (probably not practical but looked cool, might be why this no longer occurred in first Contact).

The modified bridge featuring extra stations on the sides was great!

The computer announcing the saucer separation was a great touch that I always presumed took place during the separation preparation (sorry for another nitpicking but why did Beverly evacuate sickbay during the separation anyway, it IS in the saucer section, and why were kids in the star drive section too and needed evacuating?)

The quality of the LCARS panels were stunning - especially on the holodeck arch.

The saucer crash sequence was very cool - despite being unnecessary.

The champaign ceremony for the Enterprise B in space dock was awesome!

The jokes with Kirk being applauded for ordering the departure, being fidgety in his seat, etc were great!

Scotty saving the day for the last time with everything he could muster was fantastic!

The effects were top notch (yep excluding the recycled Undiscovered Country Bird of Prey explosion).

Bringing back Lursa and Beatua (however you spell them) was a fantastic bit of continuity, likewise the reference to Encounter at Farpoint (even though I don't recall the Ferengi monkey suit joke actually being in the episode).

The Stellar Cartography room was an awesome way to look at star charts - the equivalent on the Enterprise E in Nemesis didn't do it for me.

Data hunting down Spot was a nice touch tonhow much his pet meant to him.

The gathering of people and shuttles on top of the saucer section was great.

The promotion of Worf, let alone the ceremony, was both funny and touching. Never understood why Worf's leg was bleeding when he climbed out of thecwater though, hit the bottom of the holodeck?

It's a nice movie I just wished they didn't destroy the Enterprise D I lived that ship.

Now First Contact, I dont think I sawca single flaw with that it was TNG's ultimate movie!

SamHill
11-06-2012, 06:19 PM
The TNG Star Trek movies just seemed reeeallly cheap. I didn't get that feeling about II, III and IV. Nemesis is unwatchable.

Edit: I agree with this guy. He speaks for me in all things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZjkHUrEuHc

thirdmanj
11-06-2012, 06:30 PM
The TNG Star Trek movies just seemed reeeallly cheap. I didn't get that feeling about II, III and IV. Nemesis is unwatchable.

I'm with you, but I'm a II, IV, VI fan. VI was by far the best. But IV is a close second. I also enjoyed First Contact and Insurection, but just because F Muray Abraham was the villain and he gave a performance that was on par with Christopher Plumber.