PDA

View Full Version : General Newbie: where to start?

Dave T
06-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Just a newbie. Where to start?

I suppose it's just reading posts. Trying to find out what parts are hard to find, what things to look for in buying a Delorean, where people bring their car for service, etc. People may offer suggestions but I'll also just browse.

1batt4u
06-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Exactly!!!! :thumbup: Welcome and good luck!!!!!

DMC3165
06-25-2011, 08:49 PM

I suppose it's just reading posts. Trying to find out what parts are hard to find, what things to look for in buying a Delorean, where people bring their car for service, etc. People may offer suggestions but I'll also just browse.

Hi newbie! I would say depending on your location would dictate where you should go. For the most part, most Parts are pretty easy to get, some a little more expensive then others but generally not unreasonale. Some body panels are a little tough to get but not impossible. when looking to buy a D check the frame first then look under the oil cap at the little plastic screen. If it's melted the motors been overheated. Other then that this website is one of the greatests tool for any Delorean enthusiast. I'm sure you'll find it extremely useful and most members very helpful. Good luck!

Michael
06-25-2011, 09:20 PM
look under the oil cap at the little plastic screen. If it's melted the motors been overheated.

Im learning things everyday here

Kukem
06-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Im learning things everyday here

You're right, Michael. I never heard of that either. Good to know and I'll keep that in mind when I go to look at a DeLorean.

TTait
06-25-2011, 10:10 PM

You could meet a few owners and see their cars - where are you?

Dave T
06-26-2011, 12:58 PM
You could meet a few owners and see their cars - where are you?

Seattle. I'm planning a garage. The building permit is not yet approved. After it's finished, I will have a nice space.

mluder
06-26-2011, 02:17 PM
If you're in Seattle you're in luck. Go visit Toby at DMCNW.
He's an invaluable resource for parts and knowledge. He was very helpful when I bought my DeLorean back in March.

You might also want to check out the Pacific NW DeLorean club (http://www.pndc.org). They have "tech sessions" pretty regualrly which is a good place to meet other owners, see some cars, and if you're a member (which costs basically nothing), even get some work done.

BTW, I'm down the road in the Portland area.

Steve

DeLorean03
06-26-2011, 03:45 PM
All the suggestions here have been great. I'll give a piece from my own experience: do NOT be in a hurry to get one of these cars. I have noticed a very strong correlation: those who are patient and really research this car and get to know it are in MUCH better shape financially and emotionally. If someone rushes into buying one of these cars and doesn't know a thing about them - dude - they have a very big, long, and hard uphill battle.

Make friends, ask questions like your life depends on it, go to any clubs or gatherings in your area, and obsessively research these cars into dust. DO NOT make a rush purchase - there will be a DeLorean waiting for you when it's time. They are not going to all just vanish into thin air. I learned that the hard way.

mluder
06-27-2011, 04:02 AM
If you're in Seattle you're in luck. Go visit Toby at DMCNW.
He's an invaluable resource for parts and knowledge. He was very helpful when I bought my DeLorean back in March.

You might also want to check out the Pacific NW DeLorean club (http://www.pndc.org). They have "tech sessions" pretty regualrly which is a good place to meet other owners, see some cars, and if you're a member (which costs basically nothing), even get some work done.

BTW, I'm down the road in the Portland area.

Steve

OOPS... I had the wrong web address for the Pac NW Club... See the corrected link above.

jmrydholm
06-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Welcome from me as well! I've owned mine for 7 years (driven for about half that time) and I'm also still learning things.

-John

dhaney
06-29-2011, 02:26 PM

My car has been in the family since 1985 an I still learn new things all the time.

Welcome!

Dan