PDA

View Full Version : GOOD/POSITIVE DeLorean stories

Pages : [1] 2

Cory W
06-25-2011, 10:46 PM
It's not as busy as the stupid comment thread, but it's time to start a thread of good or positive encounters. This was on the old forum known as "What are your BEST DeLorean stories"

I was out on yet another Saturday night drive. I usually wander aimlessly around town, listening to whatever music suits me at the time, occasionally heading to one of the other towns 'close' by (an hour or more).

Tonight on my travels, I went down a dead-end residential road along the lakefront, and circled back at the park at the end.

Along my way back, I see a family of four in front of their house, at the edge of the road. As I get closer, I move over to give them safe berth, and they all hold out a thumb like they're hitchhiking. It's the mother and father, and their two kids. They're about the same age as my kids (5-8 ). I can't resist, and pull over.

Turns out they were leaving DQ right when I drove by, and followed me along, right to their house. Knowing I would have to come back that way, they went to the road to wait for me.

So, I open the doors, and give them the tour of the car, right at the side of the road. (It's limited traffic, low speed, and everybody knows each other along this road.) The kids sat in the car, asked all sorts of questions, and couldn't get over the doors. They also liked the two-seater configuration, since they'd have to sit up front, even at their age. (Most kids these days are stuck in the rear seats)

When I was underhood, I picked out a couple Hot Wheels and gave them to the kids. This totally made their night. The mother told me that the fact I stopped made their night. They were both surprised to hear the car is local, and has been around for three years. Apparently I'm never out and around where they are, and I've driven roughly 10k miles each year!

The kids and parents thanked me for stopping (and the 5 year old held his hand out for me to shake it - priceless!) and I went on my way, reminding them to look down when they're out in traffic; I may be there.

Over my last 3 years of ownership, I've had people flash their high beams at me at night to make me pull over to talk, try to block me in a parking space to talk, or linger around me and the car during shows, making it hard to talk to other people. I've even had a person in another vehicle almost cause two collisions trying to "direct" me while driving along a highway so they could take pictures. This random encounter was probably the best one I've had so far.

Canon20DFan
06-26-2011, 09:29 AM
There is a local guy who has always admired Deloreans. His wife, for his 30th birthday, contacted our best known local Delorean owner, Dan H. Props to the Ohio Delorean Club, I think she contacted them first and they bounced her to Dan. In any case, she asked if Dan could surprise her husband and show up to her house driving his Delorean. Dan told all the Colorado owners he could, and 5 of us showed up in a Delorean parade. Dan even got a Delorean model to give the guy, and let him drive his car. This totally made this guy's birthday, and I always thought his wife was very thoughtful to do that for him...

Kenny_Z
06-27-2011, 11:33 PM
My very first D experience was before I even bought the car. I was at the bank getting it inspected for the loan. A truckload of young kids were sitting one space over and were trying to figure out what kind of car they were looking at. The lady asked to see the odometer and I knew what reaction the kids were going to have. I lifted the door up and all you heard was 'THE DOORS GO UP!' along with laughter from their mom. The loan officer didn't have a clue what she was looking at but those kids made my day.

That's my favorite part of owning this car. I've been on the looking end and every time I saw a Delorean I was a little kid again falling for the D's unique look and charm. Knowing that this car is doing that for other people makes my day.

sdg3205
06-27-2011, 11:40 PM
I was over at my insurance broker the other day. It was sunny out and apparently I parked in such a way as to bounce the sun light off the hood and directly into the window of a business a few floors up.

This particular woman tried looking out her window but said it was making her blind, so she came down to the parking lot, with guns blazing thinking she'd find a mirror or something. Instead she finds my car. Full 180! She was a car enthusiast too and we talked about DeLoreans and Triumphs for 30 minutes before she and about 10 other people remembered they were suppose to be inside working.

vwdmc16
06-28-2011, 12:45 AM
At a cruise in in Davis, a woman in her 50's came up to me as i was explaining some of the cars features to a couple of guys. she says:

Her "Wow, just wow, that is incredible amount of work you've done to this car, did you do it all yourself?"

Me "Yes i do all the work on my cars, but what are you referring to in particular?"

her " well everything, the bare metal, the custom front end, and the doors, those are super custom! i dont think ive see a car this customized ever!'

Me " Actually its nearly completely stock i just lowered it and upgraded some things"

her: "Bullshit they never made cars like this, then who built it?"

Me: "its a 1981 Delorean, thats stainless steel."

her " no your putting me on, this is a one of a kind custom i know it"

i attempt to give her bttf refences and such and still he was unconvinced, even when i grabbed the dealer brochure that i had on display in the driver seat, she accused me of fabricating the booklet too until she looked at it closely and finally was convinced.

wierd

jmrydholm
06-28-2011, 12:31 PM
I went to my credit union last week after getting my car back this month. First time I had ever really driven it anywhere in a while. There was a lady in the drive-thru that opened her door and said how great it was to see one (even though mine looks pretty shabby at the moment.) I told her that it's not the greatest car in the world and has its fair share of 30-year old problems. Lots of effort, care, and cash is needed to upkeep one of these, but she said, "It's worth it though, isn't it?" I looked over at my fiancee in the passenger seat and said, "As long as she lets me keep it!" It's nice to hear positive comments from both my future wife and a total stranger.

Then I drove through town and wowed a bunch of little kids who were pointing at it and grinning from ear to ear, so that was fun. I love kids' reactions to it. :)

Sidaries
06-29-2011, 05:53 AM
Well, this was a while ago and a very good experience to me.
A guy with a BMW came next to me, while waiting for the red light.
- He started to watch me and race the engine. I did the same. (I can do this too)
- Then he started to play that he starts and then stops the car. I did the same. (I can do this too)
- Then he again started to race the engine. Then I opened the door. (Let's try something different)

- He watched me a bit and left quietly on the green light. :)

Canon20DFan
06-29-2011, 08:44 AM
That's a good one...

- He started to watch me and race the engine. I did the same. (I can do this too)
- Then he started to play that he starts and then stops the car. I did the same. (I can do this too)
- Then he again started to race the engine. Then I opened the door. (Let's try something different)

Stainless
12-28-2011, 05:48 PM
I have found that I have become pessimistic about what people are going to do/say when they come up to me when I'm driving the DeLorean. I dug up this old thread to try and get myself thinking positively about people again. Since we still have no snow on the roads, I've been lucky enough to keep driving my car every weekend. It seems like it garners a lot more attention right now than it did in the summer. Maybe it's because the car show season long ago ended and you don't see any cool cars on the road this time of year.

Anyway, besides all of the thumbs-up, smiling, pictures (while they are driving) and pointing that I get, I like it when people are just floored that they are seeing a DeLorean for the first time. I pulled up at Costco yesterday to fill up and the gas station attendant stared at me as I pulled in. After I got out and started the transaction, he came over and asked if he could take a picture of my car. Then he said that he couldn't believe that he was seeing a real DeLorean in person, and that was that.

I'm the type of guy that appreciates a nice, but brief interaction about the car. I've found that usually the longer the conversation, the more I am bothered by what is said. This one just made me appreciate my car. I hope to have more positive experiences that I can post about because I'm heading over to the "stupid comment" thread right now to add in another one of those. :)

Karin
12-28-2011, 11:58 PM

I swear, I laughed hard at that one. He's like, "Yeah, can your car do what mine can?" *you open the door* *he got sussed* (something from Conker)

He may have a fast car but its doors can't go up. XD

SoCalDMC12
12-29-2011, 12:44 AM
2 years ago I was at a car show that benefitted cancer research. At one point all the Deloreans did a drive around the fairgrounds. As we were getting ready, a guy asked me if his son (a big Delorean fan) could ride along. Seemed like good people, so I figured "why not".

The kid was awestruck, his folks snapped a bunch of pix, and nice conversation was had by all. At the end of the ride, his uncle insisted on thanking me with some cash. I refused several times, then finally asked him to give it to the cancer charity instead, and he obliged.

I had a nice time at the show, a ride along made a kid's day, and some money went to cancer research. One of many positive experiences I have had with my car(s).

Michael
12-29-2011, 08:21 AM
2 years ago I was at a car show that benefitted cancer research. At one point all the Deloreans did a drive around the fairgrounds. As we were getting ready, a guy asked me if his son (a big Delorean fan) could ride along. Seemed like good people, so I figured "why not".

The kid was awestruck, his folks snapped a bunch of pix, and nice conversation was had by all. At the end of the ride, his uncle insisted on thanking me with some cash. I refused several times, then finally asked him to give it to the cancer charity instead, and he obliged.

I had a nice time at the show, a ride along made a kid's day, and some money went to cancer research. One of many positive experiences I have had with my car(s).

I love those kinds of stories. I have to admit, the positive experiences I have had FAR FAR outweigh the few negative comments I have had(which I can count on one hand).

Kenny_Z
12-29-2011, 10:46 AM
I took Red to the parts store because I needed some stuff for my daily driver. The assistant manager walked up to the front counter to ring up a guy he was helping. I snickered when I heard him say "Is that what I think it is outside?" After I got my parts all the employees came outside to see the car and take pictures, the store was empty. That was a few weeks ago, fast forward to yesterday. The daily needs a new radiator, just another part of my overheating problem. I took my Mustang because there's no way a radiator is going to fit in my Delorean. The same assistant manager brings me my radiator and has another employee ring it up so he can clean up some spilled battery acid. Except he sees the Mustang outside and runs out to look at it and take pictures (not sure this guy ever really works). I pay for my radiator and head outside. As I'm unlocking the Mustang he goes "This is yours too??" We talked about his 65 while I attempted to stuff a huge radiator into the small Mustang.

Karin
12-29-2011, 01:51 PM
I have to say, the older Mustangs from the late 60's would be another dream car I'd like ever since I saw Bullitt. The remakes are a bit scrunched up.

DMCVegas
01-01-2012, 04:59 PM
We had an argument going at work a couple of days ago about Sci-Fi movies that quickly became a debate about who loved what movie more. When Back to the Future came around my one coworker said that nobody there loved BTTF more than her. She owned copies on VHS & DVD, could quote every movie from beginning to end, and she was even going to buy a Flux Capacitor. So I told her I still had something better than a replica flux capacitor, to which she demanded to what?

http://fortnightlitpress.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/knapp01.png?w=480

I pulled my key out and laid it on the workbench for all to see.

"A real DeLorean."
:yesss:

It's a positive story because we all had a good laugh.

stevedmc
01-01-2012, 05:33 PM

Brilliant.

Kenny_Z
01-02-2012, 10:59 PM
I have to say, the older Mustangs from the late 60's would be another dream car I'd like ever since I saw Bullitt. The remakes are a bit scrunched up.

Mine is a 66 coupe. She's not like Bullitt but I'm not really a fan of fastbacks. I've never actually seen that movie...

Michael
01-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Mine is a 66 coupe. She's not like Bullitt but I'm not really a fan of fastbacks. I've never actually seen that movie...

Having a classic mustang and not seeing "Bullitt" is like owning a Delorean and not seeing BTTF.

In fact, no matter what you drive, not having seen Bullitt means you loose two man cards.

Farrar
01-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Having a classic mustang and not seeing "Bullitt" is like owning a Delorean and not seeing BTTF.

In other words: awesome.

;)

Farrar

Lenny
01-03-2012, 08:45 AM

In fact, no matter what you drive, not having seen Bullitt means you loose two man cards.

1. Turn off the TV, Radio, Etc
2. Expand this to full screen
3. Turn up your computer speakers
4. Buckle the seatbelt on your chair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWgR2vYE2_o

5. Spend the next 10 minutes with a smile on your face.

Citizen
01-03-2012, 09:09 AM

I was going to say...it's like owning a classic Challenger and not having seen "Vanishing Point".

robvanderveer
01-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Or... It's like owning a blender and never having made Margherita's

Karin
01-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Now you guys made me come up with something.

It's like owning a KITT and haven't watched Knight Rider.

Or it's like having a cake and eating it, too. ;)

Stainless
01-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Now you guys made me come up with something.

It's like owning a KITT and haven't watched Knight Rider.

Do you mean that it's like owning a 1982 Pontiac Trans Am or 2008-2009 Ford Shelby GT500KR and haven't watched Knight Rider? Owning either doesn't make it a KITT, just like owning a DeLorean doesn't make it a time machine :) I'm being very nitpicky :read:

SamHill
01-03-2012, 02:28 PM
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife

Kenny_Z
01-03-2012, 02:56 PM
It takes a lot for me to watch a movie. I haven't seen any of the Star Wars movies all the way through. I have seen all of the Star Trek movies but I missed a lot episodes of the different series and I pretty much skipped Enterprise. I have to be interested in something to see it and even then I hate watching movies or tv. Last night I finally caught up on some stuff on my DVR while I tore down an old go kart engine in the living room.

I'll check out that youtube link when I get home.

SamHill
01-03-2012, 02:58 PM
I hate watching movies or tv.

That's not a bad thing. It really is a demon time-waster.

opethmike
01-03-2012, 03:01 PM
That's not a bad thing. It really is a demon time-waster.

YOU'RE a demon time waster, poopy-head.

dvonk
01-03-2012, 03:13 PM
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife

too bad Alanis Morrisette didnt look up the definition of "irony" while writing a song about it...

it shouldve been called "Unfortunate" instead.

robvanderveer
01-03-2012, 03:19 PM
too bad Alanis Morrisette didnt look up the definition of "irony" while writing a song about it...

it shouldve been called "Unfortunate" instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT1TVSTkAXg

SamHill
01-03-2012, 04:07 PM
YOU'RE a demon time waster, poopy-head.

I know.

Hijack... Anyone have a Roku yet? My parents bought one and I have to say it's not bad for just $80. I liken it to 100 channels of UHF. I've caught some good documentaries on it.

T_Stanley
01-03-2012, 05:50 PM
I'll add one of my favorite stories. I was at Downtown Disney for the BTTF showing at AMC back in 2010. I was there pretty early and I was just hanging out in the D. The parking lot was pretty empty as well. All of a sudden I hear "A DeLorean!" and it came from a little girl not much older than 5. I was amazed she said DeLorean and not the BTTF car. Turns out her older brother educated her on the DeLorean because it was his dream car. Anyway, the whole family comes over and strikes up a conversation. I offer to let them sit in the car if they wanted. I didnt know that the brother was actually filming the whole time. I thought he was just taking pictures. But anyway here is the video on youtube. Thanks to Jammer96 for finding this for me!
Oh and I was wiping the car because it had just rained although you cant really tell...typical Florida weather!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtlnqcNXfN0

dvonk
01-04-2012, 12:39 AM

haha, awesome. never seen that before! its so true. that song always bothered me.

DL4567
01-04-2012, 01:19 AM

Awesome indeed. I wanna shake that guy's hand.

Dangermouse
01-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Funny accent.

Karin
01-04-2012, 02:42 PM
I'll add one of my favorite stories. I was at Downtown Disney for the BTTF showing at AMC back in 2010. I was there pretty early and I was just hanging out in the D. The parking lot was pretty empty as well. All of a sudden I hear "A DeLorean!" and it came from a little girl not much older than 5. I was amazed she said DeLorean and not the BTTF car. Turns out her older brother educated her on the DeLorean because it was his dream car. Anyway, the whole family comes over and strikes up a conversation. I offer to let them sit in the car if they wanted. I didnt know that the brother was actually filming the whole time. I thought he was just taking pictures. But anyway here is the video on youtube. Thanks to Jammer96 for finding this for me!
Oh and I was wiping the car because it had just rained although you cant really tell...typical Florida weather!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtlnqcNXfN0

That made their dreams come true. Every time I've seen one, I always thought it made my dreams come true instantly.

whocruiser
01-04-2012, 04:41 PM
That made their dreams come true. Every time I've seen one, I always thought it made my dreams come true instantly.

If you're still in contact you really ought to tell them about DCS Orlando this June. 100 or more Deloreans next to Downtown Disney should just about blow their minds, lol.

Chris Burns
01-04-2012, 04:43 PM
If you're still in contact you really ought to tell them about DCS Orlando this June. 100 or more Deloreans next to Downtown Disney should just about blow their minds, lol.

I'll be there even if I have to hitchhike!

Kenny_Z
01-26-2012, 12:00 AM
I was fighting with Red earlier today trying to get the center console back together so I can drive her to work tomorrow. The daily is getting on my nerves with her finicky attitude so I wanted my D back. I was fed up, tired of the struggle, but I did get Red back together. She needed gas so I went down the road. A family of four walked out of the station while I was filling up and all of their eyes lit up. They came over, asked if they could take a picture, and talked a little about Red. After a few days of downtime it was nice to drive her again and see their reaction. It made all the struggling and fighting worth it.

Jimmyvonviggle
01-26-2012, 12:56 AM
I was at Judo with my kids and as they were doing their thing us parents were talking. One of them says he was at Comic-Con here in Montreal, and quickly went on to recite all the cool things he saw.

So he goes on to say they have the ghost busters van, the batmobile, and the DeLorean. At that moment I pipe in and say "Oh I have one of those". He looks at me and laughs and says "oh sure". "No I'm serious its sitting at home in my garage". From that point on to the end of the class he is very serious and quiet.

Next week my wife fills in for me at class, and first thing he asks her "Does your husband really have a DeLorean"? Wife pulls out her iPhone with six million pictures.

Jonathan
01-28-2012, 11:38 PM
I came across a picture I took from this past summer. It was from a young fan and my D. His name was Alexander and he and his Dad chatted with me for quite some time one night at a cruise night near where I live. The Dad had lots of good questions on the car itself, its history, and other trivia, while Alexander posed questions more along the Back to the Future lines.

Alexander was pretty excited when I handed him a Hot Wheels DeLorean. And the grin got even bigger when I suggested he have a seat in the car. He was a little hesitant at first, but then got in. He soaked it in for a few moments and that's when I took the picture.

His Dad thanked me a number of times for making Alexander's day, and then I said I could email him the picture if I got his address. Sure enough, I sent it to him and he replied back with this message:

Greetings Jonathan,
I want to tell you how appreciative Alexander and myself are for all the information and opportunity to sit inside your wonderful automobile. It was a highlight for Alexander's holiday. When he has a passion , look out. Whether it be golf , lane swimming or collecting G1 transformers. He finds the car meets most interesting and now has a new appreciation for the DeLorean. Who knows where it will take him. Again , thanks so much for the photo.
Regards David and Alexander Jacobi

I did not see them again later in the summer, but one of my ODOC chums made an "associate member" certificate up for him that I hope to get signed and present him once the car season begins again.

I'll take the close together pedals, slow PRV, angle drive issues and fingerprints so long as the smiles keep coming :)

DMCVegas
01-29-2012, 02:03 AM
I was in a training class this past week and a discussion came up about temperatures inside of parked cars. I made the comment that some cars can exceed 200 degrees in the summer. The guy next to me replied, "What in the hell do you own? A DeLorean?!"

I whipped my key out again and put it on the table.

sdg3205
01-29-2012, 02:27 AM
I'll take the close together pedals, slow PRV, angle drive issues and fingerprints so long as the smiles keep coming :)

You made that kids world, man. He'll remember that for the rest of his life and we'll probably see him on here not too many years from now.

The first DeLorean I ever saw was in Richmond Hill, Ontario in 1993. The owner (or owners farther perhaps) didn't speak a word of english but could still understand my excitement (an understatement) over the car. Because of his generosity and kindness I have this picture and some memories that both made the car a reality and affirmed my love of the vehicle. I'm pretty sure you did the same thing on that day for that kid!

Chris Burns
01-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Great stories guys! I wish I had a picture from my 1st Delorean experience back in 93 in WV. Here is a picture that was taken a year or two later at a Beckley WV dealer. The Delorean in the background was an 82 with the NCT radials. I remember the car sat in their showroom forever, because they wanted too much for it.

SIMid
01-29-2012, 07:29 PM
A female friend of mine is a real 80s fan of all things and i caught up with her over the weekend having not heard from her in 12 months. We were having dinner and i told her that i had bought a classic 80s car. So she starts guessing without hitting the bullseye. (previously i have told friends by showing a picture on my phone and they had blank faces). Well, with her, it was priceless!

"give up?"
"no idea."
Handed her my mobile with the pic of the Delorean.
Long pause......
"you have a Delorean?"
"yes."
Another long pause....
"a real delorean?"
"yes!"
Another pause...
"a DELOREAN???"
"YES!"
"are you fucking SERIOUS???"
"yes! I bought a Delorean, registered and runs!"

I think she came in her underwear a couple of times.

"next time we meet, i'll bring the Delorean. Would you like some alone time with her?"
"yes please!"

LMFAO! It was priceless from her reaction and our conversation! :D

Stainless
06-26-2012, 06:24 PM
I haven't had a good story to tell in a while, and it appears nobody else has either :)

Decided to take the DeLorean to a local car show last weekend. Overall good experience. In my experience, the guys are the ones that care about the car and are the most excited while the women don't seem too interested. Well this lady that looked like she was in her 50s came up to the car with her family. I was sitting about 15 feet away in the shade, but I could hear her talking to her family about the car. I overheard her say "this is my dream car." I decided to talk to her about the car and asked her why she liked it. She then explained how she had fallen in love with the car, even before the BTTF movies came out. I could tell that she was genuinely excited to see the car of her dreams. I explained to her that it was the car of my dreams too and that I was so happy to make my dreams a reality. I then explained to her what I loved about the car and then she took pictures and went on her way. It was really fun.

There were some other kids that just really loved the car too, so I was able to give away some DeLorean hot wheels to them. It was a super hot day w/ the AC not working in my car right now, but it was worth it for those moments.

pezzonovante88
06-26-2012, 11:15 PM
I haven't had a good story to tell in a while, and it appears nobody else has either :)

Decided to take the DeLorean to a local car show last weekend. Overall good experience. In my experience, the guys are the ones that care about the car and are the most excited while the women don't seem too interested. Well this lady that looked like she was in her 50s came up to the car with her family. I was sitting about 15 feet away in the shade, but I could hear her talking to her family about the car. I overheard her say "this is my dream car." I decided to talk to her about the car and asked her why she liked it. She then explained how she had fallen in love with the car, even before the BTTF movies came out. I could tell that she was genuinely excited to see the car of her dreams. I explained to her that it was the car of my dreams too and that I was so happy to make my dreams a reality. I then explained to her what I loved about the car and then she took pictures and went on her way. It was really fun.

There were some other kids that just really loved the car too, so I was able to give away some DeLorean hot wheels to them. It was a super hot day w/ the AC not working in my car right now, but it was worth it for those moments.

I've been having some positive car show experiences, too. I've taken the D to about four cruise-nights and have only heard positive things. It's a crowd pleaser and I'm pleased I haven't gotten too many stupid jokes or offensive comments.

Nick774
06-26-2012, 11:23 PM
The first time I had ever got to sit in a Delorean I was about 11 years old, I was on my way to the hobbie shop with my father to pick up parts to build a pinewood derby car for cub scouts. The entire car ride I had yapped about how I wanted to make a Delorean of course. At that very moment of explaining what I was going to carve my car into we pass a house with a beautiful silver D sitting in the driveway! My heart stopped but my mouth was firing like a machine gun! We pulled up next to it on the way back and the owner a nice young man waved to us in a "come on up" motion and graciously gave me my first ever encounter with a Delorean. Ironicly being a very aerodynamic model car it decimated all at the races bringing home first place and a nice plastic trophy:race: Since then I had been on the hunt for my own.

Fast forward fourteen years later: I am the ride operations manager/ Mechanic here at Iplay America in Freehold and we have a 4d simulator ride. While working on one of the motion seats the two teenage guys working the ride were talking about how cool it would be if it were like the bttf ride. One of them says "too bad that was never a real car". I stand up, pull out my phone and present a picture of 774 and simply say "Really, then this is a hell of a hologram". Owned :whip:

Kenny_Z
06-29-2012, 09:55 AM
I've owned Red for a year this passed Monday. She went from a basket case of a neglected Delorean to a car more reliable than my daily driver. I owe that progress to this forum. All of you have helped me make my dream car a fun car to own. Thanks to everyone but a special thanks to Delorean03 and Casey for getting me pointed in the right direction.

A year ago:
http://uploads.m-cgi.com/kennyz/Delorean/delorean.jpg

Now:
http://uploads.m-cgi.com/kennyz/Delorean/bay03.jpg

Onward to years of D ownership. :D

thirdmanj
06-29-2012, 08:32 PM
A female friend of mine is a real 80s fan of all things and i caught up with her over the weekend having not heard from her in 12 months. We were having dinner and i told her that i had bought a classic 80s car. So she starts guessing without hitting the bullseye. (previously i have told friends by showing a picture on my phone and they had blank faces). Well, with her, it was priceless!

"give up?"
"no idea."
Handed her my mobile with the pic of the Delorean.
Long pause......
"you have a Delorean?"
"yes."
Another long pause....
"a real delorean?"
"yes!"
Another pause...
"a DELOREAN???"
"YES!"
"are you fucking SERIOUS???"
"yes! I bought a Delorean, registered and runs!"

I think she came in her underwear a couple of times.

"next time we meet, i'll bring the Delorean. Would you like some alone time with her?"
"yes please!"

LMFAO! It was priceless from her reaction and our conversation! :D

Please tell me you at least hit that.

jawn101
08-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Haven't had any positive stories for a while so here's a doozy!

I finally fixed my cold start and alternator issues this afternoon and was so pleased I decided to venture onto a highway and see how things went. They went great.

I was pulling into the downtown strip of a small town near home called Winters when I hit a stoplight. I was in the left turn lane and an older gent in a slammed Suburban pulls up next to me. I see him hang out of his window and start shouting at me and gesturing wildly. Great, I thought - either my motor is on fire or I'm about to get yet another lame ass joke. I roll down the window since it's obvious that I saw him.

"HEY, YOU NEED A REPAIR MANUAL FOR THAT THING?"

harr harr harr. "No, it's running just fine, thanks"

"NO, SERIOUSLY - FOLLOW ME!"

What the hell, I think. It's a busy night on the street and I doubt he's going to murder me with his grandkids in the car. I follow him about 500 yards to his house, where he gets out and proceeds to tell me all about how he used to have a DeLorean but got into trucks in the 90's, etc. etc.

"Hold on, I have something for you" and disappears inside the garage. 30 seconds later he comes out with these.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12436&d=1344657036

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12437&d=1344657040

Original and complete 30+ year old service and parts manuals!

Turns out he really DID used to have one! He was very knowledgeable and an overall very nice guy.

So what started as an incorrect assumption and anticipation of a lame joke turned out to be a pretty cool experience!

Tillsy
08-11-2012, 12:21 AM
"Hold on, I have something for you" and disappears inside the garage. 30 seconds later he comes out with these.

That's an awesome story jawn101!!! :thumbup:

Nice to see the old covers used to state what is inside - I'll need to make up a label for the spine on mine as I find it frustrating not knowing which of the three folders is which.

vwdmc16
08-11-2012, 01:36 AM
Damn Jon, get anything for me?? lol nice story

DavidProehl
08-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Unbelievable! Cool story! Those books are in perfect condition. The closest thing I can get to that is that recently went to a locksmith to have an ignition key made, he told me he had a DeLorean many years back but it was obvious he didn't want to talk about it.

DMCMW Dave
08-11-2012, 11:23 AM
I kinda wanted to see a photo of the slammed Suburban.

vwdmc16
08-11-2012, 11:57 AM
yeah me too, I have seen a late seventy's one near my work. it wasn't really slammed but it had to duellies the back. why you would need for tires the back of the suburban I don't know.

jawn101
08-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Sorry to disappoint guys, but it was a 90's model and wasn't all that awesome. I didn't think to take a picture. But Clint, he had a pretty nice air-cooled 70s VW wagon at his house that I bet you'd dig.

Domi
08-11-2012, 12:18 PM
That's a very cool story, how lucky you are!
Maybe you will be able to keep contact with this nice guy in the future and talk to him of his old DMC.
Did he told you what VIN he has?

jawn101
08-13-2012, 11:03 AM
That's a very cool story, how lucky you are!
Maybe you will be able to keep contact with this nice guy in the future and talk to him of his old DMC.
Did he told you what VIN he has?

He didn't remember what the VIN was, as apparently they didn't have it long. They apparently had their first kid shortly after getting the car and moved it on for practicality reasons.

DMCVegas
08-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Not to threadjack here, but does anyone have any information on Sun Enterprises? I know that they went out of business a years ago, but the only information that I've been able to find on them was a quick blurb in SSI, and a couple of flyers that were hidden away in my car. Once of which advertised the book itself for only $14.95.

I'm looking to get even more information about my car, though I'm sure if their old records could ever be located we might have a good chunk of post-factory DeLorean history.

Shep
08-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Not to threadjack here, but does anyone have any information on Sun Enterprises? I know that they went out of business a years ago, but the only information that I've been able to find on them was a quick blurb in SSI, and a couple of flyers that were hidden away in my car. Once of which advertised the book itself for only $14.95.

I'm looking to get even more information about my car, though I'm sure if their old records could ever be located we might have a good chunk of post-factory DeLorean history.I'm lost here, where did that come from? :confused0:

jawn101
08-14-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm lost here, where did that come from? :confused0:

One of the pics I posted showed a label indicating the manual came from Sun Enterprises' De Lorean National Service Center.

DeLorean03
08-14-2012, 09:48 PM
I'm lost here, where did that come from? :confused0:

Give it time. That junk happens here on nearly every single forum thread on the entire site. You could say it's part of the territory here -____-

DMCVegas
08-15-2012, 06:40 PM
See what happens when I don't write long-winded posts that include every single detail? :wink:

jawn101
08-15-2012, 07:19 PM
See what happens when I don't write long-winded posts that include every single detail? :wink:

Hey man, I was tracking. Not your fault people didn't look at the photos :lol:

I've never even heard of Sun Enterprises so I'm curious to find out about them now too.

SIMid
08-15-2012, 07:28 PM
Please tell me you at least hit that.

Unfortunately no. She wanted the Delorean, not me.

jawn101
08-15-2012, 07:29 PM

Oh... then please tell me you didn't hit it with your car. :)

dmc6960
08-15-2012, 07:29 PM

Package deal man. It's a package deal.

DMCVegas
08-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Hey man, I was tracking. Not your fault people didn't look at the photos :lol:

I've never even heard of Sun Enterprises so I'm curious to find out about them now too.

Indeed you were, and thank you! It's rather interesting because I know that SSI has a picture of some of Sun's mechanics posing with a painted black car, and there is also an ad for Crest Chevrolet where my car was also originally sold. Pretty neat I always thought.

Anyhow, I know that Sun Enterprises was the parent company, but haven't ever found out anything else other than when they were incorporated and their former address.

SIMid
08-17-2012, 02:07 AM
Haha!! I'll keep the thread clean and keep my mouth shut. :hihi2:

SIMid
09-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Took her to the Brockys Big Day Out Car show on Sunday and like always, swamed with people trying to get a picture and touch the car (like the pope).

Was expecting to get an ear bashing as there were a few Holden diehard fans, but she was well received!

http://i49.tinypic.com/4rtg1t.jpg
Found a pic someone took, me in the back with my Delorean cap (still they asked who the car belonged too :ehh: )

But one bloke came up and we chatted for a bit and finished the conversation "I have seen a couple of Deloreans for the past 20 years, but this one is in an immaculate condition, I am impressed. Thank you for bringing it to the show." I thanked his compliment.

Shep
09-11-2012, 10:30 PM
me in the back with my Delorean cap (still they asked who the car belonged too :ehh: )Try wearing a shirt with a giant DeLorean on it. I doubt they'll be asking once they spot it. :wink: (By the way, I have that hat too, and besides the website on the back, it's not obvious that it's a DeLorean hat.)

SIMid
09-12-2012, 12:03 AM
Try wearing a shirt with a giant DeLorean on it. I doubt they'll be asking once they spot it. :wink: (By the way, I have that hat too, and besides the website on the back, it's not obvious that it's a DeLorean hat.)

I had a DMC t-shirt on, but being cold, I was wearing my hoodie. Next car show will be slightly wamer so I will test it with the t-shirt. :)

Mike C.
09-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Was sitting in lab the other week, and heard a couple of guys in the next room talking cars, and one of them said the D word... so I walked in and listened in for a while. Younger guys, since im one of the two older guys in the program, and they were talking generalities, including BTTF. The one guy was talking how it was his favorite car, and how he was putting one together in cousin's shop. Well, that peaked my interest. So I start asking him questions about the car, and it's an 85.

Hmm... that's pretty interesting. He bought it for cash 'years ago' (mind you, the guy has got to be 18...) and he's putting a 911 motor into the car, from his dad's GT3 that he wrecked..... since the drive train of the two cars is pretty similar. I just nod and say "oh really? I didnt know that."

That's some car! I asked if it was hard to get tech info and parts for a DeLorean these days, and he said he personally knows a guy in Tennessee that has all the original parts in stock, and he is building new cars too. So apparently DMCH moved and became DMC Tennessee... but why not... It's nice to know that since they are old family friends, he gets his parts for free. He plans on drag racing and road racing the D, because it's the best handling car he's ever driven... next to the GT3.

So, being the fun loving guy i am, I had my laptop set up in lab. This laptop has all my DMCTalk stuff on it, all the pics of my car, wiring schematics, etc, plus all the pics from car shows and such.

I really want to play and be that guy. I go and pull the laptop and join them again. The other guy who has been pretty quiet has been polite and listening to everything this kid is saying... blah blah turbos, blah blah nitrous...

I asked him if he's going to relocate the battery from the engine compartment to the trunk for better traction, and apparently he's already done that..... So I mention that I REALLY like the delorean too.

In my recalled words, "I hate to tell you kid, you're full of shit."
"Seriously, I have a D at home. It's Sick! And im not full of shit" Now remember, I have no idea who this guy is. Im just jumping into his conversation from my lab into their lab.
So I pop open my laptop, and log into my car forum profile. This is where I keep all car stuff, from Supras to DeLorean. I open up the folder to the D information, and proceed to start class.

"First of all, your dad's porsche powerplant won't fit. It won't bolt in, and the original power plant in 'your' D was not made in Stuttgart. Here's a stock D engine. Here is the diagram of the stock D engine. Here are the part numbers for your stock engine. Oh, here's the portfolio for my DeLorean. Feel free to correct your story."

"No, you have a different model". So this was going to be one of those arguments you can't win.

I just told the kid to just stop where you're at, because you are about to fall into a hole you can't dig out from. So I logged into our wonderful little forum. I showed him all our wonderful tech info, the listing of all our members, our general discussion section, then the post I made about Chad leaving, and pointed over to my screen name. "Yeah kid, I kinda know the DeLorean world... and I bet the people you are thinking about in TEXAS, not TENNESSEE, are programmed into my cell phone if you would like to call them and get some of your free parts."

At this point, the other kid is just sitting there laughing at the kid, who just had nothing to say. So I told him if you REALLY want to learn about the cars, start on this site. Make a log in, ask questions, and find out some real facts. Then I told him to not try his BS there, because if you think I just embarrassed you, wait until you talk crap on the board!

The other kid asked if he could have some of my info from my laptop, so I gave him a bunch of diagrams, pics, and such.

Cliffs notes:

- Made a kid feel like a douche
- Made another kid a D fan

Stainless
09-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Mike, that story made my day. Thank you :)

OverlandMan
09-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Mike - Great work! Damn kids think they know it all. I remember when I was 18 I thought I knew a lot too (about the world in general). Turns out I didn't know $hit!

DeLorean03
09-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Mike, you win today's internets, sir. Well done!

pezzonovante88
09-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Yeah, don't even try it buddy. I just don't understand why some 'kids' need to bullshit and lie so much. That's an awesome story, though.

cybercusp
09-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Took my son to McDonald's drive thru and while we were waiting for the chicken selects we had two people ask to take a picture of the car. Best part was watching the smile on his face as he was getting his picture taken.He had helped me clean the stainless right before we left. Loved seeing the pride in his face. I think I'm starting to bond with this car.

Shep
09-12-2012, 10:46 PM
We need a thread called "You Just Got Served: DMC Style" with Mike's post as the first. I'm not nearly charismatic enough to pull that off. Even though I own one and have studied them for years, I would still come out looking like the idiot in that conversation. Only in my daydreams.

He had helped me clean the stainless right before we left.Wait, you got a spectator to clean your D? How'd you pull this one off? Details, details! :biggrin:

Mike C.
09-12-2012, 11:13 PM
It was just one of those attempted car guy stories. Honestly, if I were joe schmoe and didnt know anything about the car, you would swear the kid was an expert. He came off as one of those know it all car guys that will sit there and spew numbers and facts. Still, I was excited to see his 85 DeLorean... lol
:rolleyes1:

Mike C.
09-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Took my son to McDonald's drive thru and while we were waiting for the chicken selects we had two people ask to take a picture of the car. Best part was watching the smile on his face as he was getting his picture taken.He had helped me clean the stainless right before we left. Loved seeing the pride in his face. I think I'm starting to bond with this car.

See, that's what I used to love. The people who were interested in the car and were RESPECTFUL. That's always the fun part.

Mark D
09-13-2012, 12:22 AM
Random positive DeLorean story... I was working on my car the other day in the garage and a guy was walking down the sidewalk in front of my house with his wife and their dog. He must have glanced up the driveway and saw the car as he walked past because he stopped dead in his tracks and got all excited and I could hear him start talking to his wife and could pick out a few words...something like "Holy crap....DeLorean......stainless....back to the future...COOLEST CAR EVER!"

I looked over and gave him a wave... He kinda pointed at the car and then back at himself like asking permission to come look at it. I waved him over and he came up the driveway. After walking around it a few times and asking a bunch of questions about what I was working on he acknowledged that I looked like I was busy and thanked me for taking the time to show him the car. He said it made his day and he shook my hand and walked away with a big grin on his face.

I didn't mind taking a few minutes to let him look at the car and he was really polite and respectful. One of the things I enjoy most about owning the car are the moments when it brings a little joy to someone else when they see it.

yellowmxwheels23
09-13-2012, 01:51 AM
So I was at the local show today. It gets anywhere from 200-250 cars every week. Mostly 60's muscle. I leave my car to grab a fish taco and I come back to what you see in the first pic. Today was the first show that I've done this summer because the Marty truck had taken up most of my free time. It was pretty cool to get selected for a trophy in this group. When I used to do this show weekly it was always the usuals getting the trophies. The second pic is my car in line getting ready to be called up. They do it Barret Jackson style where you drive up to a stage area.

DeLorean03
09-13-2012, 12:02 PM
So lastnight I went to Chipotle to get some quick Tex-Mex. Two guys are sitting outside on the patio named Cody and Nick. Nick knows the car, but Cody doesn't. You can tell because Nick's trying to explain to Cody all about BTTF. I just happened to have James Espey's new book in my hands cause I was going to sit and read it. Anyways, Cody is flipping out asking me what kind of car it is. "It's a DeLorean" I reply to which he goes "A what..?" and I toss the book nearly motion picture perfect across the table and it slides directly in front of him and stops and I go "One of those."

Well, the line in Chipotle doesn't end, and they come back in to hand me my book. I ask them if they want to see the car - to say the least they took that offer up.

About 35 mins later, we exchange pleasantry "goodbyes" and they thanked me very much telling me that: "I sure made their night and they sure as heck won't forget this."

The amount of attention and sheer number of people that came and looked at/talked to me about the car while I was talking to them the whole time was astounding. They counted at least 6 other people came up to me, and I know at least 2 others took photos as well. It was a mini-car show.

When it was all said and done, the line in Chipotle was the same length but with different people than when I had gotten there. I said "Heck with it." and went home. Was an awesome evening :).

FTR, I counted I believe 3 flux capacitor questions.

Jimmyvonviggle
11-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Ok well it's not exactly a DeLorean comment but it's a comment related to my other money pit. I'm at the auto parts store looking for some lead additive for my car, so I ask the guy at the counter. He tells me he had a 1957 belair and that all his friends always begged him to borrow the car. They would tell him not to worry they would replace any gas used. Really what they wanted it for was to take their girlfriends in the back seat. He told me that the gas needle hardly moved and that the only mileage was from the backseat.

It's funny how whatever classic car you have, there is someone that has a fond memory related to it.

sdg3205
03-19-2013, 12:04 AM
Lots of great delorean encounters this past week.

I took it out of storage last weekend for a birthday rental. The birthday boy turned 40, knows deloreans as well as any fanatic without a car but to that day had never been in one. We went for a two hour cruise and I even let him drive it around an empty parking lot. He's always wanted one, much like the rest of us. He's always been on the fence on whether or not he should just go for it but after last Sunday he's jumping in! He written me several very amazing emails describing how much that birthday present (from his wife) of the rental meant to him. He's going to look at an 83 for sale locally that I've inspected before. Good car at a good price. Here's hoping it all goes well!

Tonight at the grocery store I got "that's 17 kinds of awesome!" which was a new one!

beernpizzalover
03-19-2013, 04:07 PM
I just happened to have James Espey's new book in my hands cause I was going to sit and read it. Anyways, Cody is flipping out asking me what kind of car it is. "It's a DeLorean" I reply to which he goes "A what..?" and I toss the book nearly motion picture perfect across the table and it slides directly in front of him and stops and I go "One of those."

It's a very good book - one I bought on Ebay, recently. I'm sure it will pay for itself many times over, in the years to come, with the wealth of information it contains!

Kenny_Z
03-19-2013, 04:25 PM
I was talking to my neighbor a couple of days ago. He drove by while I was working on Red and he pulled in to see how things were going. We were looking at the car when he remembered something funny. He's got a friend on Facebook that recently posted "I've seen a red Delorean around Lillian for awhile now. Today I saw a silver one. Are there two Deloreans in this sleepy town?" He told her it was the same one, just stripped. I've only taken Red out one time since the paint was removed. I'm assuming that was when she noticed it. Then again Ben or Scott could have been cruising 98.

DeLorean03
03-19-2013, 09:05 PM
If she only knew..... I had up to 7 or 8 located in Pensacola at one point. Of course, at the time, only mine cruised the streets and Scott took his out once a year at the time :P.

thirdmanj
03-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Today I was followed for 3.5 miles by a VW Bus. And not just any VW Bus, a light blue Type 2 transporter, with you guessed it, fog lamps on the bumper...:hihi2: I wonder if the driver was laughing as hard as I was.

sdg3205
03-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Today I was followed for 3.5 miles by a VW Bus. And not just any VW Bus, a light blue Type 2 transporter, with you guessed it, fog lamps on the bumper...:hihi2: I wonder if the driver was laughing as hard as I was.

That is so full of win!

MML
03-22-2013, 04:25 PM

Something similar happened me last year, I was driving along and passed a blue VW bus, and we flashed our lights and waved at each other at the exact same time. I'm guessing he knew the deal as well!

LEVY
03-22-2013, 08:01 PM
Some time ago, I went to the local paint shop, I asked the guy at front for some paint, what color, he asked, I gave him a little piece of paper with the Napa code. He went thru his books, then he looked at me and told me that code was for Delorean bumpers, then he asked: do you have a Delorean? yes, I do. A Delorean Delorean? Yes, a Delorean Delorean. A Delorean Delorean Delorean? yes, a Delorean Delorean Delorean! Then he called his coworker: Joe, he owns a Karate Kid Car! :shock:

LEVY

Kenny_Z
05-09-2013, 11:12 AM
A member on a local auto forum said they saw my DeLorean at an autoparts store over the weekend. I told them it was impossible since Red is in pieces at the moment and it was one of the other owners. Later, I went to the OReilly's down the road from my house to get some odds and ends for the engine. The manager showed me the Flux Capacitor in their system and said the guys at the store across town prank called him about it. I told him they probably looked it up because one of the other D owners was at their store. He asked me if we tracked each other or something.

If you want to have a little fun with them have them look up 121G or 121GMF. The MF stands for Mr Fusion.

Kenny_Z
06-11-2013, 03:20 PM
I spoke online to a neighbor of Red's previous owner. We're both part of a local hot rod forum and he recognized the car. He told me a little of what he knew about the car and I learned that her nickname was "the old red beast."

Farrar
06-11-2013, 03:26 PM
I spoke online to a neighbor of Red's previous owner. We're both part of a local hot rod forum and he recognized the car. He told me a little of what he knew about the car and I learned that her nickname was "the old red beast."

That reminds me of my uncle's old Dodge Lancer. When he first bought it, it was The Jolly Green Giant. It went through a few name changes over the years, and by the time he got rid of it, it was The Green Bomb. My car started out as 2613, and after an electrical fire I named it Sparky. I think cars suggest names for themselves. :)

wrkey
06-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Since I purchased Della (4805) back in February of this year, I've have many great experiences with here. Not the least of which is the good information and advice aquired here on DMCTalk. I like this thread as it's more about the positive aspects of owning a car such as ours and the joy and excitement it can bring to others.

1. When I initially purchased the car I knew a very special young lady that I wanted 'reward' for her efforts in school, in choir and her general attitude to others. It was down the wire but we got Della working well enough in time for her to take it to Prom. Which in her words was 'Incredibally awesome!'.

2. I've had lots of picture takers and gawkers where ever I go. The most fun is when I'm at a stop light and I see someone trying to take a photos so I pop the door(s) that you can just see the excitement and joy when they get a photo like that. Always a thumbs up.

3. I have also joined up with the local DMC club here in Houston and had a great experience there as well. A lady contacted the group and said her husband who is battling cancer would be celebrating his birthday and would love to ride in a DeLorean. He is a huge '80s fan riding in this car was one of his biggest thrills. Knowing that each birthday for this gentleman was truly a gift, 4 of us showed up and gave him a ride. We took him to another family member's home where we were invited in to share in the meal and a few drinks. He cold not thank us enough. I will look for more oppertunities to do this.

I know that some PO's and even some current owners get frustrated with the attention this car gets and the silly comments that are always made. But, if you have one of this wonderful cars, you have expected the great, the good and the not so good. But I've found the 'Great' far outweights the 'not so good'.

This is a great thread and I look forward to adding more to it as my years of ownership continues.

Jonathan
06-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Just something I've noticed every so often, and once last night at a car show... I get people that see my car for the first time and they marvel at how good of a condition it is in. "Wow, it's in great condition." Or, "The stainless is pretty much perfect, what do you do to take care of it?"

The funny thing is, I know all kinds of places on my car where it is far from perfect. Definitely areas on the stainless as well as many other little areas. Yet, when someone sees it for the first time and has nothing to compare it to (and they may have never seen another one their whole lives), it always comes across as awe inspiring.

Just thought that was a neat way of looking at things considering how hard many of us are on ourselves and our own cars. I just got through Tillsy's washing method and I gotta say, it is looking sweeeeeeeet! :)

Farrar
06-21-2013, 04:13 PM
That is a great thing about DeLorean ownership. My car hasn't started in a year, but the other day as I was tearing my hair out over an electrical problem, one of my neighbors walked by the garage, stopped, looked at the car and said "Man, that's just beautiful. You're obviously taking good care of it." It just made my evening. These cars are magical.

pezzonovante88
07-12-2013, 10:15 PM
I took my car around the block today, just to get behind the wheel (didn't have time to really drive it). I got followed back to my house by a guy and his girlfriend driving a Focus. By the time I got out of the car, the guy was already in my garage waiting to ask me if he could take pictures of the car. Although I'm not a big fan of getting followed (especially right into my own garage), it made the guy's day. And to be honest, I may have done the same thing if I were in his shoes!

Jimmyvonviggle
07-12-2013, 10:45 PM
I took my car around the block today, just to get behind the wheel (didn't have time to really drive it). I got followed back to my house by a guy and his girlfriend driving a Focus. By the time I got out of the car, the guy was already in my garage waiting to ask me if he could take pictures of the car. Although I'm not a big fan of getting followed (especially right into my own garage), it made the guy's day. And to be honest, I may have done the same thing if I were in his shoes!

If you are being followed, then why would you drive directly home? It was nice that you were so gracious with your time, but i think this crosses the line.

pezzonovante88
07-12-2013, 10:51 PM
If you are being followed, then why would you drive directly home? It was nice that you were so gracious with your time, but i think this crosses the line.

I didn't actually notice I was being followed until I pulled into the driveway. Otherwise I definitely would have kept going (I've had to do this before).

JohnZ
07-13-2013, 03:22 AM
Did he have a nice girlfriend at least?

:hihi2:

pezzonovante88
07-13-2013, 09:51 AM

:hihi2:

Actually not bad from what I could see. :wink:

Shep
07-13-2013, 11:01 PM

:hihi2:I was wondering the same thing ;)

The one thing I love about this car is that whenever there's a guy walking down the street towards me, and I drive by, without fail they always stop, stare, and as I pass them do a complete 180 and stare at me from behind. I just had one today. Hilariously, they never seem to notice any of the other classic cars that drive by. Something about a DeLorean :biggrin:

(And to be honest, if someone were to follow me home, I'd probably just pull in my driveway and pop open the doors for them. If they're that obvious that they follow me home, chances are they're looking to talk to me or take pictures, so I wouldn't be bothered. I used to be fascinated by them too, so I know what it's like to see one and want to follow it home. The kind of guys that are looking to steal it wouldn't be that obvious, particularly around these parts.)

Farrar
07-13-2013, 11:14 PM
I was working inside the car today and heard a couple walk by.

Her: "Oh, look!"
Him: "Woooow."
Her: "And you thought that Lexus looked cool..."
Him: "Well, I didn't know there was a DeLorean around the corner..."

Lenny
07-13-2013, 11:29 PM
I didn't actually notice I was being followed until I pulled into the driveway. Otherwise I definitely would have kept going (I've had to do this before).

I was an undercover cop for 13 years, out of habit I always checked to see who was turning with me for the last 4 turns to get home. If someone made 3 I didn't go home. I retired 14 years ago and still check.

I was followed once for 3 turns I went straight and the guy started to pass me, I got out with badge and gun. the guy started babbling he had never seen a Mercedes like I was driving and just wanted to get a closer look.

It was a 1980,or so, 500 SEC with a full AMG make over. Air Dams, racing wheels and tires, fiberglass fenders, hood and trunk. It is absolutely the fastest car I have ever been in. A doper went over to Germany bought the car drove it across the street and had the AMG work done on it and imported it into the US. He then brought a kilo of coke and 25,000.00 into the city.

I was told they were called the German words for "White Ghost" they were built for the autobahn.

pezzonovante88
07-14-2013, 09:28 AM
I was an undercover cop for 13 years, out of habit I always checked to see who was turning with me for the last 4 turns to get home. If someone made 3 I didn't go home. I retired 14 years ago and still check.

I was followed once for 3 turns I went straight and the guy started to pass me, I got out with badge and gun. the guy started babbling he had never seen a Mercedes like I was driving and just wanted to get a closer look.

It was a 1980,or so, 500 SEC with a full AMG make over. Air Dams, racing wheels and tires, fiberglass fenders, hood and trunk. It is absolutely the fastest car I have ever been in. A doper went over to Germany bought the car drove it across the street and had the AMG work done on it and imported it into the US. He then brought a kilo of coke and 25,000.00 into the city.

I was told they were called the German words for "White Ghost" they were built for the autobahn.

Wow! Miami Vice style! You must have some stories.....

Shep
07-14-2013, 01:44 PM
I took Egull to church today, and when I left, I got quite a crowd. Half of them were friends I knew, but the other half were people I had never seen before. Some took pictures. (I'll be on the lookout for 'em!) One guy was even showing his 4-5 year old daughter, who was enthralled by the whole thing. He was teaching her all about it, saying things like "see, the doors open up!" and her eyes got really wide. Got a few more fingerprints, but with any luck, we may have a car gal in the making :yesss:

Another guy was in his 50's or 60's and was telling me stories about the different cars he had owned, his first being a '71 Ford Fairlane. He said he knew a guy that bought three DeLoreans for around $10,000 as an investment (didn't say when, but probably shortly after DMC's collapse, '83 or '84). He seemed to know his stuff though, and even knew that the 300 SL was the first production gullwing. In a way, it was sort of my first car show, although I was the only entrant. Great way to spend a Sunday morning! ;)

StainlessBullet
07-17-2013, 01:48 PM
So I had an interesting start to my day. I walked outside and somebody left me a little present on my door step, a 1/18 scale version of my car!

There was no note or anything left to let me know who did it. I've called everyone I can think of and no one knows anything about it.

Random person, if you are on here, thank you very much! You've made my day.

OverlandMan
07-17-2013, 05:14 PM
So I had an interesting start to my day. I walked outside and somebody left me a little present on my door step, a 1/18 scale version of my car!

There was no note or anything left to let me know who did it. I've called everyone I can think of and no one knows anything about it.

Random person, if you are on here, thank you very much! You've made my day.

I've got that exact model. I think that's the one they call the "LK Coupe". Not a bad little scale creation.

Hopefully it's someone you know. Otherwise that would be on the creepy side.

StainlessBullet
07-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Hopefully it's someone you know. Otherwise that would be on the creepy side.

I'm starting to wonder now. I've asked everybody that I think might do something like this and none of them seem to know anything about it.

Kenny_Z
07-17-2013, 09:04 PM
I took Red to the local grocery store. It's a short drive with a couple of lights, minimal traffic, and lots of places to pull off the road if I had trouble. She made it there and back with no issues. When I walked out of the store there was a station wagon circling. I was laughing as they came down the row next to me. The guy stopped and asked if that was my DeLorean. He said he thought it was because I was laughing and watching them. He shook my hand and said thanks for keeping a classic car like that on the road. It was really nice to hear that after all the work I put into her.

Roman Legion
07-17-2013, 09:26 PM
I'm starting to wonder now. I've asked everybody that I think might do something like this and none of them seem to know anything about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a43kowi2ncI

Jimmyvonviggle
07-25-2013, 11:13 PM
Tonight I had my friend over for supper who I haven't seen in a while because he lives in another province. He has never seen a DeLorean in person but he is an automotive engineer and has worked for mcLaren and viper so he has been around some nice cars. I was surprised at how giddy he got looking at the car and sitting in it. He couldn't believe how nice it was. Sometimes we forget how special these cars are because we are fortunate enough to see them everyday.

On a side note one customer came to pick up his viper after just being produced and the guy didn't know how to handle it. Put it in first and drove right into the side of the building.

jawn101
08-09-2013, 09:08 PM
This afternoon I took a drive out to a local microbrewery with an outdoor tap room to fill my growlers. I go there a lot on Fridays after work. Normally I don't take the D, though. Today I did though. When I got there, the place had just opened and it was just me and one other guy sitting outside. He approached me and struck up a conversation. What a great chat, this guy had no pretensions and didn't try to tell me a single thing about my own car. We talked for an hour or so about nothing but the car and the story behind it, and then realized we had a ton of other stuff in common too. I sat there for 3 hours and just shot the shit with him.

It was so nice to talk with somebody that friendly. I'm hoping to run into the guy again next friday, actually!

DavidProehl
08-09-2013, 10:02 PM
This afternoon I took a drive out to a local microbrewery with an outdoor tap room to fill my growlers. I go there a lot on Fridays after work. Normally I don't take the D, though. Today I did though. When I got there, the place had just opened and it was just me and one other guy sitting outside. He approached me and struck up a conversation. What a great chat, this guy had no pretensions and didn't try to tell me a single thing about my own car. We talked for an hour or so about nothing but the car and the story behind it, and then realized we had a ton of other stuff in common too. I sat there for 3 hours and just shot the shit with him.

It was so nice to talk with somebody that friendly. I'm hoping to run into the guy again next friday, actually!

Cool story! Maybe I'm just not friendly enough, but I've never just talked to a stranger for 3 hours, much less about DeLoreans.

I was at a local cruise in last night, and ran into several people very familiar with the car. It was a welcome change! Was able to have a few real conversations about the car, which is unusual normally when I'm the only DeLorean at an event.

jawn101
08-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Cool story! Maybe I'm just not friendly enough, but I've never just talked to a stranger for 3 hours, much less about DeLoreans.

I was at a local cruise in last night, and ran into several people very familiar with the car. It was a welcome change! Was able to have a few real conversations about the car, which is unusual normally when I'm the only DeLorean at an event.

Well what about the first time we met? Just two strangers with a weird car at first :) Now I'm pleased to call you friend! Funny how that works.

What cruise in? Why didn't you call? :)

DavidProehl
08-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Well what about the first time we met? Just two strangers with a weird car at first :) Now I'm pleased to call you friend! Funny how that works.

Well, ours wasn't a random meeting, but point taken!

As for the cruise in, it was just a small one. Every Thursday night the A&W here does a small show in the parking lot. Probably only 20 cars were there, didn't think it would be worth your time driving down. It was small, but fun! In fact one of the guys I talked to said he was at the Dixon show a couple years ago and saw some DeLoreans - I assume one of them was you! Anyway, I'll let you know the next time I go, just in case you're interested.

DeLorean03
08-09-2013, 10:34 PM

I can't resist :P.

vwdmc16
08-09-2013, 10:55 PM
I was taking my girlfriend out to dinner the other night cruising up the interstate at 75mph, I see a CHP car speeding towards me in the #4 lane. i slow to 65 and he gets into the #3 lane next to me, As he flies past me I hear over his PA " ..... 88 MILES PER HOUR!" It was kinda hard to believe that a cop yelled that at me on the freeway. I busted out laughing.

Ryan S.
08-10-2013, 02:25 AM
Clint, I met a couple of nice CHP officers this morning. Could be the same guys. We talked about Ds and took some photos together. One officer told me how much he likes my license plate and how cool Delorean looks. :thumbup:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2807/9477701040_f3032b8f78_n.jpg

jawn101
08-10-2013, 12:14 PM
i can't resist :p.

LOL

Clint, I met a couple of nice CHP officers this morning. Could be the same guys. We talked about Ds and took some photos together. One officer told me how much he likes my license plate and how cool Delorean looks. :thumbup:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2807/9477701040_f3032b8f78_n.jpg

Why exactly did you meet these fine officers? :)

Ryan S.
08-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Let's just say... I was trying to test my flux capacitor.

Kenny_Z
08-10-2013, 04:13 PM
I went to a charity car show today. It was mostly an import show but all types were invited and represented by at least one car. The organizer stopped by and thanked me for bringing the car out and a bunch of people from that forum stopped by to congratulate me on the work I'd done. Red just won ride of the month on that forum even though she's not completed. The poster that wrote this stopped by to see her: "The effort here cannot be overstated. This car, more than any other, exemplifies the ultimate machine love. A deserving win and should be ride of the year in the opinion of this mechanic." That's probably the nicest thing I've ever heard and the best compliment I've ever received on this car.

This show was on the beach and at one point a family ran up. They were leaving the beach when the son saw the DeLorean from the road. He made them pull over and pay the admission just to see my car. For that he earned my very last Hot Wheels time machine. If he hadn't been swimming I would have let him sit in the car for the photos they took.

The majority of the people at this show were younger than the car but they certainly had a love for it. There was a ton of stainless poking, something I'd never experienced before with the paint. Eventually it might bother me but for the moment it's just funny. I met a young guy who was an apprentice stainless welder/former and he was fascinated by the car. I told him everything I knew and directed him to look up some of the Youtube videos of Chris Nicolson. Hopefully it'll inspire a next generation master of stainless ;)

DavidProehl
08-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Let's just say... I was trying to test my flux capacitor.

I took mine up to 88 my first month of ownership....luckily no police were involved. Still have never been pulled over in it.

I went to a charity car show today. It was mostly an import show but all types were invited and represented by at least one car. The organizer stopped by and thanked me for bringing the car out and a bunch of people from that forum stopped by to congratulate me on the work I'd done. Red just won ride of the month on that forum even though she's not completed. The poster that wrote this stopped by to see her: "The effort here cannot be overstated. This car, more than any other, exemplifies the ultimate machine love. A deserving win and should be ride of the year in the opinion of this mechanic." That's probably the nicest thing I've ever heard and the best compliment I've ever received on this car.

This show was on the beach and at one point a family ran up. They were leaving the beach when the son saw the DeLorean from the road. He made them pull over and pay the admission just to see my car. For that he earned my very last Hot Wheels time machine. If he hadn't been swimming I would have let him sit in the car for the photos they took.

The majority of the people at this show were younger than the car but they certainly had a love for it. There was a ton of stainless poking, something I'd never experienced before with the paint. Eventually it might bother me but for the moment it's just funny. I met a young guy who was an apprentice stainless welder/former and he was fascinated by the car. I told him everything I knew and directed him to look up some of the Youtube videos of Chris Nicolson. Hopefully it'll inspire a next generation master of stainless ;)

Congrats! The work you have put into Red is deserving of such an honor, your red to stainless thread is unbelievable.

SS Spoiler
08-10-2013, 07:30 PM
I've heard that SS is non-magnetic to everything but cops.

vwdmc16
08-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Well i just got pulled over today on a test drive for not having a front plate and also they wanted to check out the car too, still no tickets!

DavidProehl
05-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Was washing the car today in preparation for a show tomorrow and a guy in his late 60's got out of his car to look at it. First thing he said when he came up was "A DeLorean! I haven't seen one of those in 30 years."

I was able to hold back the laughter, I'm guessing he had no idea the significance of what he just said. Come to think of it, he was walking with a cane that had a golden fist on the top....

jawn101
05-17-2014, 08:29 PM
Was washing the car today in preparation for a show tomorrow and a guy in his late 60's got out of his car to look at it. First thing he said when he came up was "A DeLorean! I haven't seen one of those in 30 years."

I was able to hold back the laughter, I'm guessing he had no idea the significance of what he just said. Come to think of it, he was walking with a cane that had a golden fist on the top....

Oh, Biff...

vps3922
08-25-2014, 06:38 PM
Lots of great delorean encounters this past week.

I took it out of storage last weekend for a birthday rental. The birthday boy turned 40, knows deloreans as well as any fanatic without a car but to that day had never been in one. We went for a two hour cruise and I even let him drive it around an empty parking lot. He's always wanted one, much like the rest of us. He's always been on the fence on whether or not he should just go for it but after last Sunday he's jumping in! He written me several very amazing emails describing how much that birthday present (from his wife) of the rental meant to him. He's going to look at an 83 for sale locally that I've inspected before. Good car at a good price. Here's hoping it all goes well!

Ha! I just found this thread, going through it post by post. This guy was me and it turned out that I did not get the 83. But in the end that year #3922. Thanks again, Dave! You really made my day and got me hooked. And you have been a great friend and help in bringing my D to the stage where it is now. :smile:

I am excited to read all these stories where you let people touch and maybe sit in their dream car. Sometimes these moments will generate another owner, who will take one of these beautiful (and sometimes dreadful) cars into his care to preserve it for the future generation. :notworthy:

vwdmc16
08-25-2014, 08:11 PM
Had an open house car show at my shop and finally had a random person admiring my car actually get the facts right. Everything from it being a 2.85 volvo prv v6, that it was engineered by lotus, had a back bone frame, built in N Ireland etc. It was really nice and surprising!

Rich
08-25-2014, 09:41 PM
Moderators -
Shall we merge this thread with #10481?

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10481-Fun-DeLorean-Experiences

They both are on the same subject and both were founded in response to the Stupid Delorean Comments thread.

Planning to post the inverse of this suggestion on #10481 shortly. Bring that one here or this one there.

Kukem
09-08-2014, 08:16 PM
I was followed by an Orange Plymouth Roadrunner tonight and stopped at the drug store. The driver was excited to see a DeLorean in person. He is part of a car club and asked my wife and I to bring the car by if we could to show the club the car if we had time. We were kinda interested, so we took a drive by and dropped in. The club was very excited to see us and we were mobbed with questions. We were also invited to a get together on Thursday evening at the A&W. Looks like I have to make sure the car is nice and clean.

JohnZ
09-25-2014, 02:29 AM
Yesterday there was a BTTF3 screening in my local cinema. I went there with the Delorean! Unbelievable feelings! :headbang:

Everyone were asking questions, shooting pictures, sitting on the car (asking me before :) ), hugging me, kissing me, praising me:notworthy: and celebrating the car! it was a BLAST! :cowboy:

well I'm not a huge fan of such things, but I kinda liked it! :) Even my coworker and friend from the TV was there with the camera! Bloody hell I hated it! :evilgrin:

moreover, I got three free tickets for the movie! :race:

Victor
09-25-2014, 02:15 PM
I was taking my girlfriend out to dinner the other night cruising up the interstate at 75mph, I see a CHP car speeding towards me in the #4 lane. i slow to 65 and he gets into the #3 lane next to me, As he flies past me I hear over his PA " ..... 88 MILES PER HOUR!" It was kinda hard to believe that a cop yelled that at me on the freeway. I busted out laughing.

A similar thing happens to me a few weeks ago. I was coming back from a car show in Coteau du lac,Qc. My wife & my daughter were in another car in front of me. And several police car coming from the opposite direction passed by. One of them made a rough u turn and open its ''gyro light'' so I pulled over by the side.
I was a little over the speed limit so I thought damn!
It turn out the young policeman just wanted to see the car. My wife and daughter were most concerned however. I do not know if policeman have the right to stop for just seing cars...but what the hell. I was relief that I didn't get any ticket. So it's a positive story right?

Rich
09-26-2014, 07:46 PM
Some time ago I pulled in for a smog check appointment in the DeLorean and got to chatting with another customer who was just finishing. Her daughter was very excited to see the car which of course led to a photo op for them.

When folks ask nicely, seem to really be excited about the prospect and I have the time I offer to let them sit in it. Is it special for most of us? Not really. But it's sure special for others.

Rich
09-26-2014, 08:25 PM
Had an open house car show at my shop and finally had a random person admiring my car actually get the facts right. Everything from it being a 2.85 volvo prv v6, that it was engineered by lotus, had a back bone frame, built in N Ireland etc. It was really nice and surprising!

That's very cool.

The show we went to last weekend had a few dads overheard here and there telling their kids about the "aluminum" body on DeLoreans - at some point my wife and I just let this kind of stuff go, so visitors can admire the car - quickly - in peace. If folks are hovering and seem curious to know the facts then we'll gently correct them.

At the same show there was a very knowledgeable guy who knew exactly which other cars the PRV engine was used in and admired the design of the D from one end to the other.

One other gent was an immigrant from Belfast who remembered where the factory was and told us how exciting it was to have cars made there during those dark times.

And a fellow D owner dropped by with his family as they took in the show. Great to see you, Maor!

30978 30979 30980

I'm not sure what it says about DeLoreans but ours was assigned a certain spot in this row: McLaren P1, McLaren 650S Spyder, Pantera, Pantera, DeLorean DMC-12, Nash Metropolitan (with a Chevy small block in it).

StainlessBullet
03-05-2015, 01:03 AM
Figured it's about time to bring this thread back to life.

I've been driving the heck out of #3455 since I bought it last month. I bet I've put over 500 miles on it in the past 3 weeks. Anyway, I pulled into a local restaurant the other day. As I'm getting out of the car, a black Escalade speeds through the parking lot, blowing it's horn and trying to get my attention. A guy gets out and says "Man, IS THAT A DELOREAN!?" Then he asked if it was alright to take some pictures of the car. He asks me all the usual questions etc. Keep in mind this restaurant is on one of the busiest roads in town and with the doors on the car up, we're starting to get a lot of attention. Pretty soon another guy pulls up and wants to take pictures, then another, then a lady. Then a cop pulls up and says he wanted to pull me over awhile back to check out the car, but he didn't think that would be right. Pretty soon, I had a crowd around the car. The restaurant has parking for about 10 to 15 cars and it was almost entirely full of people trying to get pictures. Luckily some of them went inside to eat afterwards. It was about 45 minutes after I pulled into the parking lot before I finally got to go inside and eat. The cashier said that was the busiest she had seen the place get in awhile.

So, moral of the story. Make plenty of time in advance for people wanting to see your car or drive something else. Also, if you want to help a maw and paw restaurant attract attention, drive your D'. Oh and whoever said chicks don't like these cars, you live in the wrong town sir. I've ran into quite a lot lately that wanted to check out the car or me (which is highly unlikely :biggrin:).

Rich_NYS
03-05-2015, 10:07 AM
Awesome story, Nathan!

StainlessBullet
03-05-2015, 02:50 PM
Awesome story, Nathan!

Thanks! Other than the people that constantly ride in my blind spots to take pictures, I have yet to have any real negative experience driving this car around.

Jonathan
03-05-2015, 04:56 PM
Figured it's about time to bring this thread back to life...

Awesome story, Nathan!

Yes!!! Can't wait to see more and more additions to this thread during the driving season!

Amazing how even some of the things you mentioned about the crazy attention the car gets and people taking pictures and whatnot can just as easily go into a good stories thread as the bad stories one.

A friend has reminded me on more than one occasion... "When you change the way you see things, the things you see will change."

What a great time for Spring!!

StainlessBullet
03-05-2015, 04:59 PM
A friend has reminded me on more than one occasion... "When you change the way you see things, the things you see will change."

What an awesome quote. That's wise words to live by too.

Tillsy
03-06-2015, 06:31 PM
So, moral of the story. Make plenty of time in advance for people wanting to see your car or drive something else.

Sounds similar to what I go through every time I fill up with gas - the stations I use nearby are on main roads and in the time it takes to fill up I attract significant attention, and in the time that attention is holding me up it attracts even more attention, etc. I always take a deep breath, be in as happy and friendly a mood as I can, and allow ~20 minutes... just how it is.

My wife only just experienced that for the first time a few weeks ago. It was only the third time she has been in the DeLorean I think, and we took it to a performance. When we returned there were a few people admiring the car and it took 10 minutes before we were able to get underway, thankfully no-one else came past in that time. When my wife asked if that happens much, I broke the news to her that was actually quite a quick and easy getaway compared to what I can often experience :)

Lenny
03-06-2015, 07:03 PM
I've found that when I go to pull out in traffic while driving my DeLorean I have a lot of people slow down to let me in.

Farrar
03-07-2015, 12:43 AM
I've gotta say that sometimes when I am at my most frustrated working on the car, someone will walk by the garage and start saying nice things about it. They see only the good, which is helpful since I am up to my ears in the bad. It helps to get an outsider's perspective on it. Other people don't see the frustration and the hassle. They just see a gorgeous chunk of automotive history, a stainless steel orphan, sometimes with their own eyes for the first time, and it makes them smile. And then, I smile. It's infectious. I guess that's why I am still trying to get mine on the road with what little time I have left at the end of a week...

It's good to see this thread revived.

Rich_NYS
03-07-2015, 05:24 AM
I've gotta say that sometimes when I am at my most frustrated working on the car, someone will walk by the garage and start saying nice things about it. They see only the good, which is helpful since I am up to my ears in the bad. It helps to get an outsider's perspective on it. Other people don't see the frustration and the hassle. They just see a gorgeous chunk of automotive history, a stainless steel orphan, sometimes with their own eyes for the first time, and it makes them smile. And then, I smile. It's infectious. I guess that's why I am still trying to get mine on the road with what little time I have left at the end of a week...

Great post. :cheers:

Jonathan
03-07-2015, 08:18 AM

I had a neighbour a couple summers ago walk up and start chatting about the car. I can't remember exactly how the whole conversation went, but he only saw the good and gorgeous chunk of automotive history too.

His way of putting it was, "Don't worry about the pimple on your wife's butt. Think instead about all the other amazing things about her."

And this outsider's perspective was especially clear as he was battling through his own medical challenges and I'd bet he had a much better way of looking at a lot of things in life.

Looking forward to the smiles when your "miles driven so far in 2015" says something other than 0, Farrar.

Timebender
03-11-2015, 12:22 PM
It was about 45 minutes after I pulled into the parking lot before I finally got to go inside and eat. The cashier said that was the busiest she had seen the place get in awhile.

This happens all the time when I have R2 out- can't wait to get my DeLorean back from Danny's because I love seeing people get so happy and excited to see these things.

Josh
03-11-2015, 12:54 PM
I've found that when I go to pull out in traffic while driving my DeLorean I have a lot of people slow down to let me in.

Same here. Since my car is my daily in the summer, this is a big advantage! lol

StainlessBullet
03-17-2015, 08:45 PM
Yesterday, I was taking my car to the storage unit where I keep it (my shop is full of project delorean crap at the moment), and as I am pulling into the drive leading to the unit I notice that I'm being followed. As I get out the car a man and his wife roll their window down and said politely "Excuse me sir, our son was wondering if we could take a moment of your time and look at your car?" I of course said that I didn't mind. Their son who couldn't have been any older than 10 was absolutely nuts about D's and Back to the Future. They told me that it was his favorite movie and car and that it was the first time any of them had ever seen one in person. They told me he even dressed up like Mcfly for Halloween! You really should have seen the kid smile when I told him that he could sit in it. Needless to say it made his and my day!

BUT with every positive story their has to be a negative story :tongue_stick:

This had nothing to due with that family, but later on I was driving the car and a couple of teenagers pulled along side in their big diesel truck. Well to make a long story short, they thought it would be hilarious to "roll coal" all over the side of the DeLorean. As we sat at the light he held the brake and gave it some throttle so it would pour black smoke all over the car. I even had my friggin window down at the time. I don't think I have been that pissed in quite a long time. I called him everything I could think of and some words I didn't even know that I knew. :lol: I'm pretty sure he will remember me and probably key the car if he ever sees it out in public now. I daily drive a diesel pickup and I never once thought that it would be cool to blow black crap all over someone. All it does is make you look like a complete idiot.

jawn101
03-17-2015, 08:51 PM
Yesterday, I was taking my car to the storage unit where I keep it (my shop is full of project delorean crap at the moment), and as I am pulling into the drive leading to the unit I notice that I'm being followed. As I get out the car a man and his wife roll their window down and said politely "Excuse me sir, our son was wondering if we could take a moment of your time and look at your car?" I of course said that I didn't mind. Their son who couldn't have been any older than 10 was absolutely nuts about D's and Back to the Future. They told me that it was his favorite movie and car and that it was the first time any of them had ever seen one in person. They told me he even dressed up like Mcfly for Halloween! You really should have seen the kid smile when I told him that he could sit in it. Needless to say it made his and my day!

BUT with every positive story their has to be a negative story :tongue_stick:

This had nothing to due with that family, but later on I was driving the car and a couple of teenagers pulled along side in their big diesel truck. Well to make a long story short, they thought it would be hilarious to "roll coal" all over the side of the DeLorean. As we sat at the light he held the brake and gave it some throttle so it would pour black smoke all over the car. I even had my friggin window down at the time. I don't think I have been that pissed in quite a long time. I called him everything I could think of and some words I didn't even know that I knew. :lol: I'm pretty sure he will remember me and probably key the car if he ever sees it out in public now. I daily drive a diesel pickup and I never once thought that it would be cool to blow black crap all over someone. All it does is make you look like a complete idiot.

Can never get enough of those big smiles on the kids whose day you made. Or their parents :)

That said. I can't even begin to imagine the fury if someone rolled coal on my D. The very notion of doing that in the first place is the most utterly disrespectful, puerile, immature thing I can image. Doing it with the deliberate intention of negatively impacting what's obviously someone's prize possession only deepens my hatred for anyone who would consider such an act.

SKnight
03-18-2015, 01:54 AM
Tonight I decided that I wanted to get my D out on St. Patrick's Day, it seemed an appropriate time to drive an Irish built sports car. I picked up a friend and we went to a bar near his place for a beer.

Now, the waitresses at this place are very cute, but definitely don't seem like the type who care about cars let alone DeLoreans. The two of us were sitting and drinking our beers when another guy came in and announced to the whole that there was a DeLorean out in the parking lot. One of the waitresses asked me if that was my car, I said yes but she didn't seem to care much.

Finally we got up to leave and as we're heading out my friend yells "by the way, this guy drives a DeLorean, if you're interested." All three waitresses followed us out of the bar and once they saw the car, commented that it looked unique. Then I opened the doors which did it for them. All three got big smiles on their faces, started yelling and got their phones out to take pictures. One asked how did I get the doors like that? I answered that they came that way and she said that that was the coolest thing she'd ever seen on a car. I answered a few questions for them, they took some more pictures of themselves with the car and then headed back inside after thanking me for opening it up for them.

My friend was laughing the whole time and asked if the car always gets that kind of attention. I said not usually from girls who look like that. He kept laughing the whole ride back and couldn't believe the attention this car attracts.

Definitely a fun night! :D

JohnZ
03-18-2015, 03:49 AM
Good one Sknight! ;)

I have a cousin that has 3 children, like 4, 8 and 14 years old. The other day I went to their house to show them the car and make some trips around the block. It was a blast! They were happy as... children :hihi2: ! I did the same ring-tour about 4 times to show out how this car goes, and since I live in a pretty rural area (Dunmurry style, so plenty of tractors, sheeps youngsters and old women by the "road") every one in the place would yell "the alieensss"!!! :chairfall:

And I achieved my personal record: 4 (four) people into the Delorean at the same time! :shocked: It was me driving, then on the passenger seat my cousin's husband with 2 layers of kids on him!!

:wiggle:

Lenny
03-18-2015, 08:27 AM
Wait a second, "very cute waitresses" Cameras, Photos and where are your copies of the "Cute Waitresses" photos for us to enjoy?

Tonight I decided that I wanted to get my D out on St. Patrick's Day, it seemed an appropriate time to drive an Irish built sports car. I picked up a friend and we went to a bar near his place for a beer.

Now, the waitresses at this place are very cute, but definitely don't seem like the type who care about cars let alone DeLoreans. The two of us were sitting and drinking our beers when another guy came in and announced to the whole that there was a DeLorean out in the parking lot. One of the waitresses asked me if that was my car, I said yes but she didn't seem to care much.

Finally we got up to leave and as we're heading out my friend yells "by the way, this guy drives a DeLorean, if you're interested." All three waitresses followed us out of the bar and once they saw the car, commented that it looked unique. Then I opened the doors which did it for them. All three got big smiles on their faces, started yelling and got their phones out to take pictures. One asked how did I get the doors like that? I answered that they came that way and she said that that was the coolest thing she'd ever seen on a car. I answered a few questions for them, they took some more pictures of themselves with the car and then headed back inside after thanking me for opening it up for them.

My friend was laughing the whole time and asked if the car always gets that kind of attention. I said not usually from girls who look like that. He kept laughing the whole ride back and couldn't believe the attention this car attracts.

vps3922
03-18-2015, 02:23 PM

Pictures or it never happened! :hihi2:

SKnight
03-18-2015, 03:46 PM
Pictures or it never happened! :hihi2:

I knew when I was posting this last night that this would be the response at least once. :hihi2:

Sadly I wasn't quick enough on the draw with my phone.

It was interesting though, they were only very mildly amused by the car until I opened the gull-wings. Then all of a sudden they couldn't get their cameras out fast enough. I think my favorite part though, was my friend's reaction to the whole thing.

Farrar
03-18-2015, 08:09 PM
In order to pull my daily driver into the garage for service, I pulled the D out and parked it outside today. As I was doing that, a nearby resident walked past. "It always makes me feel good to see that car. I don't even know why," he said. :)

Jonathan
03-18-2015, 08:52 PM
..."It always makes me feel good to see that car. I don't even know why"

No doubt said by a few DeLorean owners too :)

Dangermouse
03-18-2015, 10:01 PM
I knew when I was posting this last night that this would be the response at least once. :hihi2:

Sadly I wasn't quick enough on the draw with my phone.

It was interesting though, they were only very mildly amused by the car until I opened the gull-wings. Then all of a sudden they couldn't get their cameras out fast enough. I think my favorite part though, was my friend's reaction to the whole thing.

Well then, I guess you have to go back and find them again.

The old "I left my photos on your camera" line again :)

Farrar
03-19-2015, 10:06 AM
No doubt said by a few DeLorean owners too :)

Yes, but I know why it makes me feel good. :)

StainlessBullet
03-22-2015, 12:02 PM
That said. I can't even begin to imagine the fury if someone rolled coal on my D. The very notion of doing that in the first place is the most utterly disrespectful, puerile, immature thing I can image. Doing it with the deliberate intention of negatively impacting what's obviously someone's prize possession only deepens my hatred for anyone who would consider such an act.

I couldn't agree anymore. I probably shouldn't have lost my temper like I did, but the fact that I had just washed the car and my window was down just completely set me off.

Another positive story,
I went to a Mexican restaurant over the weekend. When I came out a lady was looking at the car. When I walked up she started freaking out saying how awesome of a car it was etc. She told me that one of her sons took a picture of my car when I was on the road and came home bragging about seeing it to her other son. She said her other son was so disappointed that he didn't get to see it because it's one of his favorite cars. She said she lived about a mile down the road and asked if I would be there long enough for her to go and get her son so he could see the car. I told her that would be ok. About 5 minutes later they pull back up. The kid was just floored. He couldn't stop smiling. He asked if it would be ok to have his picture taken next to it. I told him I'd let him sit in it and have his picture taken. You would have thought I gave him a million dollars or something. He told me he was going to go home and show his brother the picture and say "you saw it going down the road? I GOT TO SIT IN IT!!!"

Jonathan
03-22-2015, 01:13 PM
Another positive story,
I went to a Mexican restaurant over the weekend. When I came out a lady was looking at the car. When I walked up she started freaking out saying how awesome of a car it was etc. She told me that one of her sons took a picture of my car when I was on the road and came home bragging about seeing it to her other son. She said her other son was so disappointed that he didn't get to see it because it's one of his favorite cars. She said she lived about a mile down the road and asked if I would be there long enough for her to go and get her son so he could see the car. I told her that would be ok. About 5 minutes later they pull back up. The kid was just floored. He couldn't stop smiling. He asked if it would be ok to have his picture taken next to it. I told him I'd let him sit in it and have his picture taken. You would have thought I gave him a million dollars or something. He told me he was going to go home and show his brother the picture and say "you saw it going down the road? I GOT TO SIT IN IT!!!"

That's great. Just imagine if he kept it from his brother for a bit longer, let his brother rub in getting to see the car while they're having dinner or something... and then, BAM, he pulls out the picture and shows him. Fun.

Someone else mentioned "pics or it didn't happen" earlier. A few years ago I got started keeping a "fans of the D" album where if someone came up to me like some of these stories and wanted a picture with the car, I obliged but also asked if I could take a photo with my own camera. I only got about a half dozen or so and then sort of let the idea fizzle.

Maybe if a few guys get these kinds of pictures they could start a new thread and post some "made their day" photos with a little story attached?

Shep
03-22-2015, 01:54 PM
Maybe if a few guys get these kinds of pictures they could start a new thread and post some "made their day" photos with a little story attached?Now THAT'S an idea! Paying it forward so to speak. Count me in! :thumbup:

Rich_NYS
03-22-2015, 02:20 PM
Maybe if a few guys get these kinds of pictures they could start a new thread and post some "made their day" photos with a little story attached?

That's a great idea....starting with the guy who had the group of hotass girls hanging around his car that he didn't get pics of. :headscratch:

SKnight
03-22-2015, 02:27 PM

Great idea! I keep kicking myself for not taking pictures of the encounter I had on St. Pattrick's day.

Jonathan
03-22-2015, 04:12 PM
Cool, looking forward to seeing some of these!

...I keep kicking myself for not taking pictures of the encounter I had on St. Pattrick's day.

I think the idea fizzled for me because it can get pretty awkward/creepy asking if you can take their picture. Not always, but sometimes it comes out a bit weird. Hate ruining a moment fumbling for a camera if it isn't natural.

Lenny
03-22-2015, 04:19 PM
I was at DMC FL's Open house Saturday. There was a mother and son from Germany on vacation. They were there because the heard about DeLorean's for sale not the Open House. The kid walked in with a smile on his face and it was there all morning. He was able to sit in one of the cars. He came over by mine and the mom was telling me (in broken English) about her son's love of the car and how they had to come see the dealership. I took out my keys (Wings-A-Loft) and pointed at the drivers door button and said "push". Mom translated for him and when he pushed the button the door popped up, his eyes lit up like a Christmas tree and his jaw dropped. I let him open the other door and same result.

He is going to have a story to tell his friends when he gets back home.

Shep
03-22-2015, 04:39 PM
That's a great idea....starting with the guy who had the group of hotass girls hanging around his car that he didn't get pics of. :headscratch::hysterical:

To be fair, I'm sure said "hotass girls" made his day, not that he necessarily made their day. Don't know if that counts.

Come to think of it, saying you want the picture "for a thread on the forums about making someone else's day" (or something less wordier :tongue: -- anyone?) would actually lighten their day even more I'm sure. I haven't taken pictures of spectators in my car yet, but I've wanted to find an excuse to do exactly that. This is a good one.

Kenny_Z
04-18-2015, 10:58 PM
Here's an odd yet very positive story. My fuel injectors are hopelessly clogged and DMCH has my order for a set on backorder. I was just fumbling today with my old ones seeing if I could do anything to clean them out. One of them sounds like a sickly foghorn when I blow compressed air through it. That got the attention of my neighbor's mentally handicapped son who came over and asked for help. His father was having a heart attack. I called the ambulance even though my neighbor wanted me to drive him instead. I also waited with the son after the ambulance left until his aunt picked him up. The father just called me a few minutes ago from the hospital. He's recovering from surgery where they put a stent in. The doctors told him he barely made it in time. He said "thank you for saving my life." I never thought I'd thank God for clogged injectors.

Tillsy
04-19-2015, 09:39 AM
Incredible story Kenny good on you! :cheers:

SoCalDMC12
04-19-2015, 04:10 PM
Wow... Awesome!

Domi
04-19-2015, 04:16 PM
Very good story :thumbup2:

DMC-81
04-19-2015, 06:10 PM
WOW!! Good story Kenny.

refugeefromcalif
04-19-2015, 06:20 PM
Very Positive story Kenny! :thumbup:

George

Jonathan
04-19-2015, 07:53 PM
Really great, Kenny.

You might need to add a line to your post signature, something like:

Saved my neighbor's life - April 2015

Thanks for sharing :)

Timebender
04-21-2015, 07:34 PM
Awesome story Kenny. Btw too bad I didn't see you at SW Celebration.

Dangermouse
04-21-2015, 10:13 PM
Beautiful symbolism there Kenny - man with clogged injector saves life of man with clogged artery

Jonathan
04-21-2015, 11:00 PM
Beautiful symbolism there Kenny - man with clogged injector saves life of man with clogged artery

Good point. Really needs to lay off the carbs...

Shep
04-22-2015, 08:15 AM
Good point. Really needs to lay off the carbs...The man or the DeLorean? :giggle:

Farrar
04-22-2015, 10:50 AM
Good point. Really needs to lay off the carbs...

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=34051&stc=1

Kenny_Z
04-23-2015, 10:35 PM
Awesome story Kenny. Btw too bad I didn't see you at SW Celebration.

I don't usually venture beyond a small radius around my hometown. It looked like a good time.

I didn't think about that. That fits perfectly.

Tory (my neighbor) is out of the hospital now. Unfortunately the doctors told him he shouldn't be alone anymore. His son isn't capable of calling 911 if needed so he's moving out to his sister's house. His son and I packed up their van and they both left yesterday. I think what is going to bother him most is not being able to work on cars anymore.

StanMan PushN 88
06-19-2015, 02:44 PM
Getting my first tank of gas just 30 minutes after buying the car recently (# 20034 with 7,200 miles on it)...A woman across the parking lot brought her 10 year old over and politely asked if they could take a picture with the car...sure thing...that's pretty cool. At my next stop for lunch...ran into a bunch of Army folks on patrol, and they wanted to get pictures too...as you can see by a couple of other rides in the driveway...making folks happy makes me happy...I haven't been stopped by the police or highway patrol yet though, has anyone else had that interesting experience with county mounties as you approach 88 MPH?

Stan3508835089

mr_maxime
06-20-2015, 01:12 PM
I have a couple. First is my neighbor's grandson came and i showed him my car a few days after i got it. When I opened the doors he asked "am i dreaming?!" and i said "no, buddy. this is real life." Then one of my favorites is of my hot older neighbor seeing my car once it was running again, she said "You're going to have to take me for a ride in it sometime... if your girlfriend doesnt mind." I told her i didnt have one and she replied "well, im dating this guy, but he said I should do whatever it takes to get a ride in that car." Sadly, it was shipped to DMC the next day lol. I mentioned it in another thread, but while driving my delorean on I-65 on my way down to Atlanta I saw another delorean going the opposite way waving at me. I nearly lost it, I had never seen another delorean on the road until then.

When I got back home my friends and family that hadnt seen the car yet mostly thought it was "stupid" but I saw that change as soon as they opened the doors. You can't help but smile the first time you open a delorean door. So glad I got that new strut!

Lenny
06-20-2015, 03:40 PM
Where do you live? I'd be interested in the hot older woman she can ride in my Delorean ;)

steve
06-20-2015, 03:44 PM
Where do you live? I'd be interested in the hot older woman she can ride in my Delorean ;)

+1

OZ DMC
06-20-2015, 05:21 PM
This random encounter was probably the best one I've had so far.

Nice story, well done.:smile:

Tillsy
06-20-2015, 09:29 PM
he said I should do whatever it takes to get a ride in that car

Wow, what an offer!

Alan
06-21-2015, 12:06 AM
My wife, Colleen, and I bought our car from DMCMW on the 19th right before the open house. That night, we had dinner with my sister and brother in law who live in the area. After, as we left, we ran into a woman who told us she and a number of other people had been taking pictures of the car. By now we had both doors open. She said now she needed another picture with the doors up. I asked if she wanted to get in and have me take her picture. She did (of course). She was our first "customer." I'm not sure who was more excited, her or Colleen and me.

SS Spoiler
06-21-2015, 09:18 AM
Went to a car show at our fairgrounds friday in Kalispell. It was sponsored by
a cancer cure rally group. While the walk-a-thon was going on the cars were being
judge by the audience. Each car had a bucket in front of it for donations. The one with the
most money wins. A-ha, I made a sign "git your picture taken with you in the drivers seat
of a DELOREAN for a donation" Made off with first place trophy.

Lenny
06-21-2015, 01:33 PM
Good thinking

StanMan PushN 88
06-21-2015, 03:32 PM
My wife, Colleen, and I bought our car from DMCMW on the 19th right before the open house. That night, we had dinner with my sister and brother in law who live in the area. After, as we left, we ran into a woman who told us she and a number of other people had been taking pictures of the car. By now we had both doors open. She said now she needed another picture with the doors up. I asked if she wanted to get in and have me take her picture. She did (of course). She was our first "customer." I'm not sure who was more excited, her or Colleen and me.
---------------------
Alan & Colleen,

Great "diplomacy" in interacting with folks right after buying your "NEW CAR"!!! ( I got mine just 2 weeks ago (#20034) I think the thing to keep in mind is the Golden Rule and treating others the way you would've wanted to be treated years ago when you didn't have a DeLorean, and someone else did; remember the interest and excitement from just thinking what it would be like to see it up close or drive it one day???? That's the wonder I want to help capture (especially for the younger kids and families). Great job representing good owners!

Stan

aotmfilms
06-30-2015, 11:27 PM
---------------------
Alan & Colleen,

Great "diplomacy" in interacting with folks right after buying your "NEW CAR"!!! ( I got mine just 2 weeks ago (#20034) I think the thing to keep in mind is the Golden Rule and treating others the way you would've wanted to be treated years ago when you didn't have a DeLorean, and someone else did; remember the interest and excitement from just thinking what it would be like to see it up close or drive it one day???? That's the wonder I want to help capture (especially for the younger kids and families). Great job representing good owners!

Stan

Thank you for that insight, I will have to remember that next week when I get mine. I hope that, in the rush to get it home, I don't ignore the fans of the car. I want to treat a little one like a guy treated me back in 1982 when I sat in his Delorean on a hot muggy summer's day. He screwed with me about the engine, but an overall good experience. I still remember the new car D smell.

Also Alan and Colleen, Thank you for sharing!

--Doug

Alan
06-30-2015, 11:54 PM
;)

Jonathan
07-01-2015, 07:56 AM
I still remember the new car D smell.

Haha, you'll soon have no trouble remembering what the old car D smell smells like!

Congrats Doug and good luck on your big day coming up! Don't forget to treat the little kid still inside of you!

(ignore for a second this is a Porsche and not a DeLorean...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sWPHKU1XZU

aotmfilms
07-07-2015, 01:32 PM
Haha, you'll soon have no trouble remembering what the old car D smell smells like!

Congrats Doug and good luck on your big day coming up! Don't forget to treat the little kid still inside of you!

I did! (I'm on the left). Alot of pictures from people and alot of emotion for a Dream come true!

OverlandMan
07-07-2015, 02:35 PM
I did! (I'm on the left). Alot of pictures from people and alot of emotion for a Dream come true!

Congrats. I've never seen painted rocker panels and lower trim to match the stainless. Kinda cool in a different way. Have fun with it.

Alan
07-07-2015, 11:37 PM
Congratulations, indeed. I like the narrow side stripe.

aotmfilms
07-09-2015, 12:51 PM
Congrats. I've never seen painted rocker panels and lower trim to match the stainless. Kinda cool in a different way. Have fun with it.

Thanks! No offense but I kindof like the matched stainless paint, it kindof "upgrades" the D vs. regular stock. Its like how you get color matched side mirrors on today's cars vs. just the standard black. You have to pay for the updated trim. Like from RS to GS trim models. Adds a nice touch.

If anybody wants the color code I have some of that color and I think its on the can.

--Doug

Timebender
07-09-2015, 01:27 PM
Thanks! No offense but I kindof like the matched stainless paint, it kindof "upgrades" the D vs. regular stock. Its like how you get color matched side mirrors on today's cars vs. just the standard black. You have to pay for the updated trim. Like from RS to GS trim models. Adds a nice touch.

If anybody wants the color code I have some of that color and I think its on the can.

--Doug

I'd like it for my ground effect side skirts and mirrors too.

Jonathan
07-10-2015, 05:44 PM

--Doug

Congrats Doug! Car looks great... living the dream.

I have the same sort of paint matching on my fascias. The sort of silver colour that matches with the stainless... in certain light. It doesn't always look quite right, but I like it. In fact, if I repaint the fascias at some point, I'll put back a similar colour instead of trying to make it look factory original again. Ya know, personalizing the identical snowflake.

aotmfilms
07-14-2015, 09:46 AM
Congrats Doug! Car looks great... living the dream.

I have the same sort of paint matching on my fascias. The sort of silver colour that matches with the stainless... in certain light. It doesn't always look quite right, but I like it. In fact, if I repaint the fascias at some point, I'll put back a similar colour instead of trying to make it look factory original again. Ya know, personalizing the identical snowflake.

Thank you! Your D looks good as well. I have Propony to thank though for my D though. He brought the car back from the Dead. I just bought it :) So current credit goes to him.

--Doug

aotmfilms
07-14-2015, 09:50 AM
Good story I wanted to share. Me and my girlfriend had a graduation party that we attended last Saturday for this fellow. Well come to find out that this kid (all 18 year old people I call "kids"), and his best friend are BTTF fans. They didn't know much about the Delorean except for BTTF stuff but I was able to make their day by having them sit in the car and then I took them for a ride.

I'm sure they will be talking about the experience for months to come and may become future Delorean Owners. 35404

--Doug:rock_on:

aotmfilms
07-14-2015, 09:53 AM
I'd like it for my ground effect side skirts and mirrors too.

I'm at work but when I get a minute I will look on the can in my storage and/or if not on there take it to a Sherwin Williams and get the number. :)

Timebender
07-14-2015, 03:46 PM
I'm at work but when I get a minute I will look on the can in my storage and/or if not on there take it to a Sherwin Williams and get the number. :)

Awesome! Thanks. :)

aotmfilms
07-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Here you go. 3541935420

Code looks to be: 733J what I have on my car.35421

Timebender
07-15-2015, 07:14 PM
Ah, Satin Nickel. Funny story about that actually. One of my wife's co-workers was looking to buy a new Caddy in that color a while back when it first came out. She called the dealership and asked the salesman if they had the silver model, to which he replied "Yes, we have it in Satin Nickel." She responded back "What? Satin Nipple? Why is it named that?" That went back and forth a few more times with him saying the right name and her not, until she finally responded "Ohhh, Satin NICKEL.."

So now we call Satin Nickel, Satin Nipple...

aotmfilms
07-16-2015, 09:15 AM
ah, satin nickel. Funny story about that actually. One of my wife's co-workers was looking to buy a new caddy in that color a while back when it first came out. She called the dealership and asked the salesman if they had the silver model, to which he replied "yes, we have it in satin nickel." she responded back "what? Satin nipple? Why is it named that?" that went back and forth a few more times with him saying the right name and her not, until she finally responded "ohhh, satin nickel.."

so now we call satin nickel, satin nipple...

lol!

DavidProehl
07-17-2015, 04:28 PM
Was prepping the car for a long drive I'm doing this weekend (Tahoe!) and a kid who looked about 12 or 13 years old stops and said "Hey, nice Lotus!" I thanked him and told him it was a DeLorean, but it had a lot of common heritage with Lotus which would explain the confusion. He said, "yeah, I thought it was a Lotus Esprit." Then went on his way.

Anyway, it was refreshing to have someone that young who actually knew something about cars stop by briefly, even if he wasn't familiar with the DeLorean.

JohnZ
07-21-2015, 07:09 AM
I have a friend who's from England. He speaks italian, and he's a radio host here in Belluno. The other day we managed to meet because he wanted to see the Delorean! Man what a happy person he was!

Then he wrote his experience over facebook, this is what he said:

To appreciate this car photos are not enough. The smell of the interior took me straight back to the 80's and sitting behind the wheel was like putting on a fine silk suit - amazing. Yes, it's that car from that film, but I quickly forgot about Marty McFly and The Doc and was taken by the legend of a dream car! Thanks John!

:) :)

SS Spoiler
09-06-2015, 09:16 PM
Went to "rumble in the bay" car show at Bigfork, Montana. Over 200 cars in this
gem of small towns, lots of artists, galleys and good eating places. Met a fellow from
Santa Barbara, Cal. that knew a guy that had a delorean. I said was it John Truscott
And his wife Joan? He looked at me like I stepped out of UFO, you know John? I said
Iv'e met them several times at DOA events. He was amazed that way out in Montana
someone knew John. I said "yeah, we're kind of inbred here" Had a nice chat....

Timebender
12-09-2015, 04:55 PM
As it seems like it's been a while any stories have popped up here, I'll share a couple from not too long ago, both from BTTF related events I did. The first was at the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center. My DeLorean is not a time machine, but I did make a cool Flux Capacitor using the TCD app, my iPad, a cardboard box I had that was a good size for the iPad, paint, electrical tape and some metal conduit elbows. Everyone loved the car, getting photos with me next to the car or with the guests. Lots of questions, nothing but compliments and WOW's!

The next parties I attended were on the following Saturday, and the first of those was pretty good, nothing but positive reactions from everyone (and this was an all adult party), and people wanting to know the history of the car, John DeLorean, and so on. And to them it was a time machine. A few hours later I had to go to another party, where when I arrived, EVERYONE was in the big driveway waiting for me as I came down the street, pulled in and parked. It was a family friendly party, with most everyone dressed as Marty or Jennifer, and couple Doc Browns (I was dressed as Doc for both events). Everyone was so excited when I came in, and most everyone took pictures next to or in the car as I keep an eye on them, as well as posed with many folks.

And then probably the best compliment I got was at a corporate BTTF themed party for the Biotech industry - lots of Doctors, scientists, etc. driving up in Porsches, Ferraris, etc. The DeLorean was placed in the area at the hotel where they feature someone's Italian supercar. As attendees for the event came for a photo with the car and me, one said "I was just at a premiere for the new Bond movie and they had the new Aston-Martin there. As nice as it was, it's not near as cool or beautiful as this." Hey may have been being nice, but still, it was nice to hear.

DMC-81
12-22-2015, 01:51 PM
Today my car had it's maiden voyage outside the neighborhood after it's restoration, and I took it for it's first fuel up with non-ethanol 87. The car ran flawlessly. Phew!!

At the first traffic light outside the neighborhood a surfer guy was standing in the parking lot of an adjacent gas station, and when he noticed the car, he came running across the street, stood on the median next to my driver's door with a big soda in hand and looking right at me, screamed "Dude!!! That is the most badass thing I have ever seen in my whole life!!! It's a really a DeLorean!!! And then he continued across the street while looking back, muttering something about how he wished he had one.

It made me smile.

DMC-81
01-09-2016, 10:23 PM
Today, I took the car to the pool store for my regular pool water check. After I came out, a burly guy in the truck in the next parking spot came over to take a peek, and I showed him the car. He was quiet as he looked the car over. One of the questions he asked was if I had the "flux thing", in a sheepish way...sort of like an ice breaker. He was very complimentary about the car and restoration.

Then he said the his best friend's dad had a black one, and at the high school prom they had their picture taken in front of their cars...his friends dads DeLorean, and the guy in his dad's Lincoln. He said he only saw one other D afterward, but each time he does, he remembers that day in High School (his voice softening as he said the last part).

I knew that the car took that guy back in time to a special moment in his life.

Then, I opened the glove box and showed him my ThinkGeek FC. As I told him about it, his face lit right up, and he asked me where I got it.

As he got inside his truck, he asked me one more time the website where the FC was, and he drove away smiling.

Good times.

01-12-2016, 10:45 PM
Someone comes running into the gas station saying "whose is it? Whose is it?" I was at the register and I just raised my hand as I was paying and waved. Guy starts asking all kinds of questions as i'm walking out... He said "I was so bummed today after David Bowie died, I was getting really depressed, but then I saw the Delorean and it just made everything okay again!" I said "Do you want a pic in it?" He was so excited. I took his pic and I handed his phone back and said "here, check it that it came out". He said "omg, omg, I don't care if it's fuzzy, that was so great!!"

On the other hand, earlier that day my client's wife got equally excited when she saw it after a meeting I had with the client the same day and she said "OMG, that is so fun, i'm so surprised, I thought you were so serious and professional, I can't believe you're..... fun!" LOL :D

88KPH
01-13-2016, 04:12 AM
Fake drag racing, laughing traffic cops at the stop light. :rock_on:

Timebender
01-13-2016, 12:35 PM
A week after BTTF day I had an event to do for a big bio-med dinner, and was driving the D dressed as Doc Brown. As I was coming up on the local Sheriff's station, there was one behind me and my first thought was "oh crud" thinking he might pull me over. But instead, he came alongside, saw me, laughed and smiled, and then continued on.

D-guy
01-13-2016, 09:03 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160114/011b93ae0b1517c6f65afce26a23d788.jpg

October 21st 2015. For whatever reason the elementary school my step-granddaughter goes to had a theme day! So, I did my part. Lol
Awesome bunch of kids. So happy and absolutely respectful. I get way more hand prints from 'entitled' grown-ups at car shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01-13-2016, 10:31 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160114/011b93ae0b1517c6f65afce26a23d788.jpg

October 21st 2015. For whatever reason the elementary school my step-granddaughter goes to had a theme day! So, I did my part. Lol
Awesome bunch of kids. So happy and absolutely respectful. I get way more hand prints from 'entitled' grown-ups at car shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:aniclap:

I love how it is almost hidden by the 4 foot tall crowd :D

SKnight
01-16-2016, 02:41 AM
Was in the drive-thru line at Starbucks the other day. I rolled up to the window, the barista looks out and says to a co-worker "hey, you gotta come check-out this cool car." She turns back to me and says "your car is awesome." I replied "yeah thanks, here's the best part" and opened the door. "Oh my god! That is the best part! This made my morning!"

It's always nice when I (or rather the car) make someone's day better. 8)

DL4567
01-22-2016, 03:07 PM
Owning the car for 11 years, I miss the novelty and excitement sometimes that I felt when first getting it. Last weekend I drove it to the liquor store in prep for having some people over, and was thinking about the lack of novelty feeling on the way. So I parked in the lot, and before even turning the engine off, a boy in his early teens got out of his mom's car and started approaching, waiting for me to open the door. He said, "I just want to tell you how awesome this car is! I thoroughly approve!!" He took a bunch of pictures with his phone and was really enamored. I asked him if he's seen BTTF, and he said "Of course!" with a big smile. Then, when I went in the store, literally everyone said something. 2-3 customers, and the cashier. All making positive comments.

Sure gave me the boost of novelty and excitement I'd been missing, real fast! :)

Another cool thing, is that seeing it outside somewhere (like when you walk back to it from a store) hits you differently than the way you see it in your own garage all the time. You get really used to the "garage view," but then out in the world, it just looks totally badass in a way it never does at home.

Soundkillr
01-23-2016, 07:07 PM
Derek, what time is the party? :elmo1:

Owning the car for 11 years, I miss the novelty and excitement sometimes that I felt when first getting it. Last weekend I drove it to the liquor store in prep for having some people over, and was thinking about the lack of novelty feeling on the way. So I parked in the lot, and before even turning the engine off, a boy in his early teens got out of his mom's car and started approaching, waiting for me to open the door. He said, "I just want to tell you how awesome this car is! I thoroughly approve!!" He took a bunch of pictures with his phone and was really enamored. I asked him if he's seen BTTF, and he said "Of course!" with a big smile. Then, when I went in the store, literally everyone said something. 2-3 customers, and the cashier. All making positive comments.

Sure gave me the boost of novelty and excitement I'd been missing, real fast! :)

Another cool thing, is that seeing it outside somewhere (like when you walk back to it from a store) hits you differently than the way you see it in your own garage all the time. You get really used to the "garage view," but then out in the world, it just looks totally badass in a way it never does at home.

01-24-2016, 08:28 PM
I was getting gas and a young hipster hippie (and I do mean that as a compliment) walks by, muttering to himself "Did that really happen? Did I just see a Delorean? That really happened.. "

On his way out of the store, he held the door open and shouted back to the cashier (or to his invisible friend, I'm not sure) "Did you see this Delorean out here?"

I would have offered him a ride to wherever he came from but I was apparently not visible to him, lol.

Rich_NYS
01-24-2016, 08:38 PM

+1

DMC-81
01-30-2016, 10:26 PM
I took the car out today, and while topping off the tank, an elderly gentleman was in the next row filling up too. When he finished, he stopped by the car on his way out, and smiling, said "It's really great to see one of those cars on the road again. It's been a long time since I've seen one." He complimented the D, and said "Those were excellent cars". Then he said " I heard that they are going to be making them again". :smile:

I'll say this. If the new DeLorean news story was merely a marketing ploy, it worked, because I heard that all week. Everyone that mentioned it was excited about the prospect.

On the way home, I took the car onto a toll road/highway for the first time. It performed well, and I was surprised how peppy the 130 HP engine was. It handled highway speeds without any problem, and I could step out and pass just by a brief downshift to fourth. That's more than I was expecting.

Riley88
01-30-2016, 11:07 PM
Took mine today to get gas. In Oregon you cant pump your own gas, so the attendant was a little shocked at the car. Then even more shocked when i showed him how to fill her up. Everywhere I go I have to keep correcting people about them making "new" cars in high productions. I need to just make a sign, no it is not a kit car either lol

01-31-2016, 05:34 PM
I'll say this. If the new DeLorean news story was merely a marketing ploy, it worked, because I heard that all week. Everyone that mentioned it was excited about the prospect.

I heard that all week, too.

I let someone sit in it for a picture yesterday and they asked if I wanted some herb in return. :D I said no thanks but I appreciated the offer.

I have never had that happen with a car before!! :D

Bitsyncmaster
01-31-2016, 07:40 PM
On the way home, I took the car onto a toll road/highway for the first time. It performed well, and I was surprised how peppy the 130 HP engine was. It handled highway speeds without any problem, and I could step out and pass just by a brief downshift to fourth. That's more than I was expecting.

Unless you want to do a burn out or impress a rider, the stock (good running) engine should keep you happy.

DMC-81
01-31-2016, 08:36 PM
Unless you want to do a burn out or impress a rider, the stock (good running) engine should keep you happy.

I agree Dave. Driving it really reminds me of my beloved 1987 VW Scirocco 16V. That car produced 123 hp out of a 1.8 liter 4.

Jimmyvonviggle
01-31-2016, 10:02 PM
I agree Dave. Driving it really reminds me of my beloved 1987 VW Scirocco 16V. That car produced 123 hp out of a 1.8 liter 4.

It should, the scirroco was also designed by Giugiaro, and is very similar. A D is like a scirroco on steroids. I enjoyed many years in my '85. Loved that car.

DMC-81
01-31-2016, 10:43 PM
It should, the scirroco was also designed by Giugiaro, and is very similar. A D is like a scirroco on steroids. I enjoyed many years in my '85. Loved that car.

That's cool that you owned one too! The D's similar shape to the Scirocco is one of a few reasons that I got the car. I love the wedge shape. I also admire Lotus Esprits for the same reason.

Cheers,

Jimmyvonviggle
01-31-2016, 11:02 PM
That's cool that you owned one too! The D's similar shape to the Scirocco is one of a few reasons that I got the car. I love the wedge shape. I also admire Lotus Esprits for the same reason.

Cheers,

It's funny I only knew the connection between the two cars once I got the D. When I had the scirroco I thought it was a cool car but was more interested in impressing the ladies. The esprit is great but only the early incarnation. I didn't like the new more rounded design in the late 80s.

mr_maxime
02-25-2016, 11:28 AM
I was in line about to buy a surge when the guy in front of me offered to pay for it. He had seen me get out of it earlier. He said that anybody putting effort into keeping a delorean on the road deserves at least a surge.

Lenny
02-25-2016, 02:34 PM
I was in line about to buy a surge when the guy in front of me offered to pay for it. He had seen me get out of it earlier. He said that anybody putting effort into keeping a delorean on the road deserves at least a surge.

What's a surge?

Dangermouse
02-25-2016, 03:49 PM
What's a surge?

about 75c

davidc89
02-25-2016, 06:10 PM

Glad to hear of another Surge fan! Surge on!

kenny
02-25-2016, 06:15 PM

Cheers,

Seems like we all love the wedge shapes.
I also had a lovely 1985 mk2 scirocco for a few yrs, I'm still annoyed I sold it. I did replace it with a 85 turbo esprit project car though. It's a long way off the road so I'm tempted to get another rocco.

DMC-81
02-25-2016, 07:26 PM
Seems like we all love the wedge shapes.
I also had a lovely 1985 mk2 scirocco for a few yrs, I'm still annoyed I sold it. I did replace it with a 85 turbo esprit project car though. It's a long way off the road so I'm tempted to get another rocco.

Cool! :thumbup:

Jonathan
02-26-2016, 08:32 AM
What's a surge?

about 75c

Is that like a Big Gulp??

(<---- Canadian asking about American brands :) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_j5tDuakKU

Dangermouse
02-26-2016, 08:36 AM
I think "Big Gulp" is a descriptor of a 32 or 64oz plastic cup filled with the pop/soda of your choice,

whereas Surge is a branded drink from CocaCola

https://geekalabama.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/picture1scsdc.png

Jonathan
02-26-2016, 08:45 AM
I think "Big Gulp" is a descriptor of a 32 or 64oz plastic cup filled with the pop/soda of your choice,

whereas Surge is a branded drink from CocaCola

Gotcha. Sounds like a brand of pop we had back in the day called Jolt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolt_Cola

davidc89
02-26-2016, 10:36 AM
It was Coca-Colas answer to Mountain Dew in the 90's.

DMCVegas
02-26-2016, 02:03 PM
Still the best cola I've ever had:

http://shop.countdown.co.nz/Content/ProductImages/large/9311493500023.jpg/Royal-Crown-Draft-Soft-Drink-Premium-Cola-340ml.jpg

03-22-2016, 08:38 PM
A Delorean fan and possible future owner had been talking to me and admiring my car. As I was leaving they came out to see it start up. I asked if they wanted me to drive them around the block in it (they did). Halfway around the block I introduced myself and said "I guess I should have done that before, I could have just kidnapped and slaughtered you.."
Guy says in a dreamy voice: "I would be okay with that right now"

:D

davidc89
03-22-2016, 11:10 PM
A Delorean fan and possible future owner had been talking to me and admiring my car. As I was leaving they came out to see it start up. I asked if they wanted me to drive them around the block in it (they did). Halfway around the block I introduced myself and said "I guess I should have done that before, I could have just kidnapped and slaughtered you.."
Guy says in a dreamy voice: "I would be okay with that right now"

:D

Epic.

Peripatetic
04-20-2016, 10:48 PM
I was driving to the store and in my neighborhood there was a lemonade stand run by these kids. One of them recognized my car and stated bowing, so I stopped and bought a cookie while I answered a couple questions. I left the door open on purpose.

mr_maxime
04-21-2016, 02:25 PM
I drove around my friend's block with the door open and the neighborhood kids chased me down to ask if I was from the future.

DashEight
05-03-2016, 02:24 AM
A couple weekends ago I loaned the DMC out to Mercer Islands "Leap for Green" event here in Seattle WA. Lots of kids young and old sat in it getting their pictures taken. It was also worth hearing and seeing the parents excitedly telling their kids about the car and Back to the Future. Maybe some went home and had a family movie night. I lost count around 320 that got in to take pictures.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/AE86Silver/DMC12/20160416_100603_zpsey6niyl0.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/AE86Silver/media/DMC12/20160416_100603_zpsey6niyl0.jpg.html)

Mark D
05-03-2016, 10:32 AM
A couple weekends ago I loaned the DMC out to Mercer Islands "Leap for Green" event here in Seattle WA. Lots of kids young and old sat in it getting their pictures taken. It was also worth hearing and seeing the parents excitedly telling their kids about the car and Back to the Future. Maybe some went home and had a family movie night. I lost count around 320 that got in to take pictures.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/AE86Silver/DMC12/20160416_100603_zpsey6niyl0.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/AE86Silver/media/DMC12/20160416_100603_zpsey6niyl0.jpg.html)

That's cool (and brave) that you let all those kids enjoy your car :)