PDA

View Full Version : General Engine compartment light

Bitsyncmaster
11-11-2012, 05:03 AM
My OEM unit the clear lens has broken up. I removed the unit which is pop riveted onto the tub. I never liked the white base on this light so was looking for something else. I was going to put a flush mount dome light unit there but not sure if water is a problem.

But also thinking of just removing the light since it has limited use. It's located in a good place to change your alternator belt which is the most likely thing to fail. Was thinking of some "work" light that could just run off the battery for emergency repairs.

Would like to fill the mounting holes and wire holes. Guess I could glass the back side and just use bondo to fill the holes so the glass would hold it there.

Open for ideas.

Tillsy
11-11-2012, 06:02 AM
thinking of just removing the light since it has limited use

interesting - I'm doing the opposite, I bought an extra one to mount on opposite side plus two SMD arrays to fill both enclosures to give even more light!

DMC5180
11-11-2012, 12:44 PM
I bought an extra light to mount on the other side too. But after seeing SMD Light strips installed under the Engine cover of a Honda V-tech engine conversion car at DCS12. I Plan on going that route someday. It really flooded the bay with Light. It only needed some minor tweaking to get it right. It needed Blinder strips to keep the LEDs from shinning in your eyes with cover propped open.

john 05141
11-12-2012, 04:52 AM
I would certainly fill the holes (or cover the holes) by simply gluing a black plastic plate to it. In case you change your mind, you can go back easily.
I've seen pictures of LED's added to the bonnet, above the engine, I'm sure can pull that off!

Jan

DMC5180
11-12-2012, 08:23 AM
This is lighting I was referring too.

14836 14837 14838 14839

jfirios
11-12-2012, 11:07 AM
That engine looks amazing, great job with it. How hard was the conversion?

DMC5180
11-12-2012, 03:26 PM
It's possibly the best looking and proportionally sized engine swaps I've seen in Delorean. It's very Compact and Clean. I know they used a Porsche transaxle with it. That's all I know about it. I think it was in the 260-300 hp range. This car was kept under wraps till it showed up at DCS-12. Dave Delman , known for doing the (East Coast Electric Delorean) had a big hand in the conversion. It's not his car though.

The LS1 was nicely done also. As was the DeLotus project (DCS-09 Vegas)

Ok, Back to the thread topic "Engine compartment lighting"

Dangermouse
11-12-2012, 03:58 PM
In case it is confusing, that isn't Dennis' car.

It belongs to "tommyrich" another forum member. But I agree with his comments