PDA

View Full Version : Original A-Car DeLorean Time Machine Restoration Update!

Mark D
11-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Hey everyone, here is a video update of the A-Car's restoration from Bob Gale and the Time Machine Restoration Team!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2GFA8biDDE

More also at our facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/timemachinerestoration

Nicholas R
11-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Very cool update! Thanks for posting this!

BTTF-1
11-15-2012, 04:55 AM
Amazing video. Thanks for sharing?

Ed

Mark D
11-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Glad you guys enjoyed the video, There are a few shots of me in there measuring parts with calipers and working on my laptop modeling things in CAD. I also designed the nuclear reactor hatch that Bob was discussing.

DL4567
11-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Great video! I'm glad to see something since the restoration has been pretty secretive so far. Blew my mind to see the "original" A-car flux capacitor.

Jeff K
11-19-2012, 04:27 PM
Glad you guys enjoyed the video, There are a few shots of me in there measuring parts with calipers and working on my laptop modeling things in CAD. I also designed the nuclear reactor hatch that Bob was discussing.

Great video. You work with Terry then. I'm looking forward to the A car getting a proper display in a protected environment.

Timebender
11-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Pretty exciting to see the progress and that it will be in display indoors...

delorean4ever
11-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Awesome video! You can see the VIN at 1:16, it's

SCEDT26T8BD005261

Jeff K
11-29-2012, 08:30 PM
That's my car in the background at 2:31. My son noticed it today.

Jeff

AgentDM47
02-15-2013, 07:50 PM
I was banned from commenting on the TMR facebook page just for asking a question. I think this is absolutely ridiculous considering that my question was nothing inappropriate. My question was why the eyebrowing on the fascia of the A-car hadn't been fixed. Considering how thorough the restoration was otherwise, I'm not sure why this was neglected, nor why I was banned for asking about this. I have seen other comments from other people disappearing as well if they say anything besides "AMAZING!!!", etc.

Michael
02-15-2013, 08:05 PM
I was banned from commenting on the TMR facebook page just for asking a question. I think this is absolutely ridiculous considering that my question was nothing inappropriate. My question was why the eyebrowing on the fascia of the A-car hadn't been fixed. Considering how thorough the restoration was otherwise, I'm not sure why this was neglected, nor why I was banned for asking about this. I have seen other comments from other people disappearing as well if they say anything besides "AMAZING!!!", etc.

I think its ridiculous you are this worried about it.

AgentDM47
02-15-2013, 08:12 PM
I'm not "worried", I was curious so I asked a question and was banned for it. I don't see why I was banned, but I would still like to know the answer to my question.

Michael
02-15-2013, 10:38 PM
I'm not "worried", I was curious so I asked a question and was banned for it. I don't see why I was banned, but I would still like to know the answer to my question.

Well I can't speak for the rest of the community here, but I can certainly guess....my guess is nobody here gives a flying crap.

Nicholas R
02-16-2013, 01:30 AM
Well I can't speak for the rest of the community here, but I can certainly guess....my guess is nobody here gives a flying crap.

I give a flying crap.

Considering the magnitude of this restoration, if there is indeed eyebrowing I too would wonder why it hadn't been addressed. Obviously it's not supposed to be there. A project of this size? I'm sure they would address both the BTTF stuff and the DeLorean itself.

That being said, looking at this picture I do not see any eyebrowing. There is a slight dip in the center of the fascia but there does not appear to actually be any eyebrows.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/285621_446867622052563_697607855_n.jpg

AgentDM47
02-16-2013, 02:39 AM
I give a flying crap.

Considering the magnitude of this restoration, if there is indeed eyebrowing I too would wonder why it hadn't been addressed. Obviously it's not supposed to be there. A project of this size? I'm sure they would address both the BTTF stuff and the DeLorean itself.

That being said, looking at this picture I do not see any eyebrowing. There is a slight dip in the center of the fascia but there does not appear to actually be any eyebrows.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/285621_446867622052563_697607855_n.jpg

I suppose I meant the general waviness of the fascia, but I do see some eyebrowing on the left headlight. For such an important car I think they could have straightened it out a bit more. In the second photo below, the fascia is completely straight, so it should have been restored like that. Considering how much effort was put into the car, even going as far as to learn how the original nuclear reactor bulbs were coated blue in order to cool the temperature, it just seems like they could have addressed a common problem as well.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/858707_446916985380960_27487028_o.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/858699_446916978714294_492876175_o.jpg

BTTF-1
02-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Wow what a magnificent job on the A car.

Congrats to all that donated parts and worked on the car.

It doesn't get any better than a Delorean Time Machine under glass.

Just like the Hotwheels Time Machine at Comic Con.

I have to ask is the car at Universal Florida next to be restored?

Ed:rock_on::rock_on::yesss::yesss::rock_on::rock_o n:

Kenny_Z
02-16-2013, 01:34 PM
I saw the waves and I wondered the same thing but looking at some images on Google those waves appear to be what the car looked like during filming. If you're going for screen accurate then keeping the wavy fascia is correct.

I thought the car on the backlot at Florida Universal was just a promo car done for the park? I can't see them spending any cash on it.

AgentDM47
02-16-2013, 02:34 PM
I saw the waves and I wondered the same thing but looking at some images on Google those waves appear to be what the car looked like during filming. If you're going for screen accurate then keeping the wavy fascia is correct.

I thought the car on the backlot at Florida Universal was just a promo car done for the park? I can't see them spending any cash on it.

The Florida car was used for the train wheelie stunt and also was the one seen on the tracks after coming back to 1985 (but the one actually hit by the train was a different car).

tjd
02-16-2013, 02:37 PM
I have to ask is the car at Universal Florida next to be restored?

I hope not, the Oxnard Car should have been run over by the train in place of the B car when Part III was filmed. The best thing that car ever had was after filming when it wore the original Goodyear Eagle GT's and wheels that was on the B car in part I & II. Unfortunately the tires anyway where discarded the last time this car was "restored".

Nicholas R
02-16-2013, 05:23 PM
The Florida car was used for the train wheelie stunt and also was the one seen on the tracks after coming back to 1985 (but the one actually hit by the train was a different car).

It's true, there is still a bunch of extra bracketed connected to the frame in the back end for that stunt. What's the deal with that car right now? I remember around the time of the DeLorean car show a bunch of people went to Universal and the car had just taken out of the midway.

mluder
02-16-2013, 08:37 PM
I give a flying crap.

I have to agree with Nick on this - It's just a dip in the center portion of the fascia. From this angle it makes it look like there is eyebrowing but its an optical illusion. How do I know? My car has the same dip. The fact is there were several different molds used for the fascias so there is some variety in the finished pieces. It's not really re-pairable with out grinding it away... That being said, it is original and not a defect so repair is unnecessary.

Cheers
Steven

AgentDM47
02-17-2013, 03:59 AM
I have to agree with Nick on this - It's just a dip in the center portion of the fascia. From this angle it makes it look like there is eyebrowing but its an optical illusion. How do I know? My car has the same dip. The fact is there were several different molds used for the fascias so there is some variety in the finished pieces. It's not really re-pairable with out grinding it away... That being said, it is original and not a defect so repair is unnecessary.

Cheers
Steven

They must have swapped fascias at some point then because the photo of the A-car from the 80s shows a perfectly straight fascia. Given that this photo is attached to the display, I believe it is the same car. Also, interestingly, the delorean in the photo does not have the same tires.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/858699_446916978714294_492876175_o.jpg

MrSmith
02-20-2013, 12:06 AM
hi

I wasn't completely sure from reading this thread if you guys were talking about the Time Machine restoration being completed, but they have posted a video and some info on the bttf.com website, see here:

http://www.bttf.com/restored-a-car-.php

Dangermouse
02-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Oh Top Gear, why do you do this.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/back-to-the-future-delorean-is-restored-2013-02-18

"to restore the DMC-12's brushed aluminium body panels"..........

You would think that TG of all people would know what they were talking about :8ball:

LordFly
02-20-2013, 10:14 AM
I believe the SS ones were swapped out for aluminum ones to help it get up to 88 mph ;)

SIMid
02-20-2013, 08:15 PM
Oh Top Gear, why do you do this.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/back-to-the-future-delorean-is-restored-2013-02-18

"to restore the DMC-12's brushed aluminium body panels"..........

You would think that TG of all people would know what they were talking about :8ball:

Could had been worse and had a picture of a wannabe Toyota Celica Time Machine.

MrSmith
02-22-2013, 04:27 PM

TopGear is foremost an entertainment show, secondary motoring show. The last few years it has become more entertainment and less about car reviews. The guys do have a lot of knowledge on cars and experience in driving, however a lot of their information they quote is provided to them by researchers. There has been different times in the show when their presentations have read like a Wikipedia cheat sheet. I like the show and magazine but just don't take everything they say as factual truth.

Stainless
04-11-2013, 05:56 PM
I was thinking about the A car today as I was reading a DeLorean article. I noticed that there aren't any photos of the engine. I always thought that the A car hard the original PRV motor in it and that the special effects dubbed over engine noises from a Porsche. The article that I read today had someone claiming that they actually swapped in a motor from a different vehicle, which seems like a lot more work than I think they would have done for the movie.

Has anyone seen the motor of the A car or have a reliable source to confirm what engine this car has?

jackb
04-11-2013, 06:14 PM
I was at Universal Hollywood the day before yesterday. It's a PRV. All the cool sounds the Delorean made were added post-production. (My favorite is the door opening sound)

Stainless
04-11-2013, 06:26 PM
I was at Universal Hollywood the day before yesterday. It's a PRV. All the cool sounds the Delorean made were added post-production. (My favorite is the door opening sound)

Mystery solved :)

The movie crew must have used some slick stuff on the roads in some of the scenes in order to achieve wheel spin in many of the scenes. I've never attempted to do any of the driving stunts that are shown in the movie, but I don't think I could get my rear tires to spin out without some assistance in the form of water or oil on the road!

Jeff K
04-11-2013, 09:02 PM
My son is a BIG BTTF fan. If I remember right, the engine sounds in the movie was from a Porsche 928 engine with holes drilled in the muffler. (or something like that)

I forgot the source, but it seems to make sense.

matt clark
04-13-2013, 06:23 AM
There's definitely a bit of Star Wars Landspeeder dubbed over the acceleration noise. I guess that was sampled from a jet or turbine originally.

ccurzio
04-13-2013, 06:25 AM
There's definitely a bit of Star Wars Landspeeder dubbed over the acceleration noise. I guess that was sampled from a jet or turbine originally.

Things that sound similar do not mean they are the same thing. There's no Star Wars in the movie.

matt clark
04-13-2013, 06:54 AM
Things that sound similar do not mean they are the same thing. There's no Star Wars in the movie.

Sound effects are frequently pulled from libraries which is why you hear the same sound effects in many different films. A jet noise is not the easiest thing to sample which is why it makes sense that it would be a stock library sample. Its the same pitch and tone which suggests it's the same sample. BTTF predates complex digital sound design - many films back then shared their sources.

edit: first hit on google shows people discussing the same sound appearing in other shows

http://www.bttfhillvalley.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=3114

ccurzio
04-13-2013, 09:38 AM
Sound effects are frequently pulled from libraries which is why you hear the same sound effects in many different films. A jet noise is not the easiest thing to sample which is why it makes sense that it would be a stock library sample. Its the same pitch and tone which suggests it's the same sample. BTTF predates complex digital sound design - many films back then shared their sources.

edit: first hit on google shows people discussing the same sound appearing in other shows

http://www.bttfhillvalley.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=3114

I completely agree, which is why the sound you're hearing is a jet turbine and not a Star Wars land speeder.

Your post implied that BTTF sampled Star Wars, which sampled a jet turbine "originally". I'm saying that's not the case at all, and that both movies simply used the turbine sound.

matt clark
04-13-2013, 11:19 AM
No, my post implied that that's what the effect is both best known for and most prominently heard in, not that it sampled Star Wars itself. I assumed people would be able to put 2+2 together, and not automatically assume that I was saying BTTF sampled SW, which is ridiculous - anyone with half an ounce of common sense knows it wouldn't work that way :rolleyes: You have to hold people's hands through everything these days...

edit: this is a ridiculous argument, but I love how the gist of your post was to know what I meant, but decide I didn't know what I was saying, and then try to correct me. Amazing.

ccurzio
04-17-2013, 09:14 AM
No, my post implied that that's what the effect is both best known for and most prominently heard in, not that it sampled Star Wars itself. I assumed people would be able to put 2+2 together, and not automatically assume that I was saying BTTF sampled SW, which is ridiculous - anyone with half an ounce of common sense knows it wouldn't work that way :rolleyes: You have to hold people's hands through everything these days...

edit: this is a ridiculous argument, but I love how the gist of your post was to know what I meant, but decide I didn't know what I was saying, and then try to correct me. Amazing.

Hmm...

There's definitely a bit of Star Wars Landspeeder dubbed over the acceleration noise.

"Haha you're such an idiot because that's not what I said even though that's exactly what I said."

ccurzio
04-17-2013, 09:31 AM
That's like listening to a song that samples Stevie Wonder's I Wish and saying "there's definitely a bit of Will Smith's Wild Wild West dubbed into that music. I'm guessing it was sampled from Stevie Wonder originally."

Equally ridiculous.

Mike C.
04-17-2013, 03:04 PM
My son is a BIG BTTF fan. If I remember right, the engine sounds in the movie was from a Porsche 928 engine with holes drilled in the muffler. (or something like that)

I forgot the source, but it seems to make sense.

A few years ago, that suggested sound was what was floating around the internet, but no one could ever verify where that answer came from.

Also, if you watch BTTF part 1, as the D is in the truck and coming down the ramp, you can still see the PRV oil pan.

Mark D
04-17-2013, 04:16 PM
-Yes, the engine sounds were dubbed in Porche 928 with holes drilled in the muffler.

-Both the A car and B car retained their PRV engines throughout filming. The B car's engine was removed prior to the car being destroyed by the locomotive at the end of part III. The restored A car still has its original PRV installed.

-The C car had the engine removed prior to filming and the rear half of the frame was cut off.

Mark D
05-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Here is a new video from the Discovery Channel that covers the restoration of the A-car. It includes some never before seen photos of the car during the restoration process and also has new interviews with Bob Gale, Joe Walser, Terry Matalas, and other members of the time machine restoration team. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlyYHH2F1lI&feature=youtu.be&t=7m42s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlyYHH2F1lI&feature=youtu.be&t=7m42s

Domi
05-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Thanks for sharing ;)

Mike C.
05-09-2013, 05:35 PM
-Yes, the engine sounds were dubbed in Porche 928 with holes drilled in the muffler.

Do u remember the source of this info? Because the last I remember it was still being disputed because no one could come up with a source this being the deciding factor. There was a post back in 2010 on BTTF.com with the same data, and before our site crashed, someone else disagreed about the origin of the 928 story, stating that someone had mentioned it once as a possibility of the car SOUNDING like a 928 with an exhaust leak because they had recently heard one, but with no real proof as to the sound truly being that.

As far as I know, there has been no reputable source with that listed as the ACTUAL sound used, just someone taking a cue from an internet post. Im just curious.

ccurzio
05-09-2013, 08:26 PM
I've never found a source that specified what engine it was, only that it was dubbed over with the sound of a V8.

So anyone who claims to know what engine it's from is almost certainly talking out of their ass.

Mark D
05-10-2013, 12:07 AM
TMR had access to all of the raw audio files from the sound FX tracks used in the film and the naming convention of the track titles were used to verify the engine sounds were from a 928. I'll double check but I'm 99% sure on this. The file name was something like eng_928 or something to that effect. I also remember reading a transcript of an interview where several members of the production crew were making fun of the car's performance during filming and how they had to dub in the sounds of a more powerful engine. The Porsche 928 is mentioned specifically and there was a note how the stock 928 exhaust still wasn't loud enough so holes were drilled into the muffler.

The sounds for the flux capacitor, time circuits, plutonium meters, keypad noises, etc were integrated into the new electronics also.... I think Joe mentions this in the Discovery channel video. So when you turn on the time circuits or punch in a date on the keypad you're hearing all the correct clean audio files.

Here's some additional food for thought on the 928 exhaust sound:
http://youtu.be/qFM2r744U-w?t=31s