PDA

View Full Version : General DeLorean Updates: What has happened with your car since DMCTalk went down?

Mike C.
05-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Thought this would be a nice way to play catch up with everyone :)

I installed a new fuel pump, only to find out that my return line was plugged and not allowing fuel to return to the tank. Thanks to Ozzie helping with the diagnosis during a car meet and greet, found the problem in the ppr. Somehow there was a tiny o-ring bound in the larger spring, preventing the fuel to return to the tank. How did it get there? Where did it come from? Who knows!

After that, reassembled my pump only to discover a 2" tear in my new boot! Needless to say, I'm THANKFUL i saved the old boot. I will be re-installing the setup AGAIN Thursday night.

fnzen
05-24-2011, 07:01 PM
I have a Stage 2 engine and new leather wrapped knee pads and steering wheel.8)

Patrick C
05-24-2011, 07:05 PM
New dark grey carpets, new outer door seals. Waiting on inner seals (week #6 now) and a new dark headliner kit to arrive. The new carpets are already wet after a good rain yesterday.

DMCNY
05-24-2011, 07:40 PM
This past weekend I replaced my Otterstat & seal, Thermostat gasket, Starter dust shield, centering pin & spring washers.

Great to see Talk back up. :)

Andy

Dangermouse
05-24-2011, 07:45 PM
My AT governor (most likely) failed and left me stranded at the side of the road. AAA to the rescue.

Bought some LEDs to rig a test kit, but haven't had time yet to install.

DeloreanJoshQ
05-24-2011, 08:15 PM
03307 is now finished and on the road! Over 500 miles already!

SamHill
05-24-2011, 08:18 PM
My (original) headlight switch fell to pieces. Should I buy new or fix the old? $100 for a new switch. Argg.

Cory W
05-24-2011, 08:28 PM
4692 has been driven whenever possible (ie: Kids in school). Parts coming aprox. Thursday for tune up (using the new spark plug wires!) and misc. small projects. Heading to the Toronto area next weekend for various reasons, so it'll get its first distance trip of the season .

Delorean02378
05-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Washed it and drove it last weekend for the first time in 5 weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLVEKgbc0lY

opethmike
05-24-2011, 09:06 PM
1049 has been behaving beautifully. I am currently in the process of converting it to EFI, using Megasquirt.

I have a Stage 2 engine and new leather wrapped knee pads and steering wheel.8)

How do you like the stage 2? How noticeable is the increase in power? I ask because I am considering doing cams + exhaust after I finish my EFI conversion, and I am not sure if it would be worth the work, so I am looking for opinions.

jackb
05-24-2011, 09:27 PM
I cleaned and painted the swaybar and installed polyurethane bushings on the front mounts and swaybar ends.

Stainless
05-24-2011, 09:41 PM
I drove my car home 1600 miles across 8 states after purchasing it back in March. Made it the whole way with zero problems, but since the aftermarket CD player stopped working and sometimes the driver's door won't open. The fun begins!

DeMopar
05-24-2011, 09:54 PM
I installed new leaf springs and bushings, rear shocks, reconditioned rear end, new brake hoses, new wheel cylinders, new brake shoes, sandblasted and repaired rust areas in trunk and left rear quarter. Oh, that was on my '61 Chrysler.

On the Delorean? Well, I got my console clock to work! 8)

DeMopar
05-24-2011, 10:02 PM
I drove my car home 1600 miles across 8 states after purchasing it back in March. Made it the whole way with zero problems, but since the aftermarket CD player stopped working and sometimes the driver's door won't open. The fun begins!

Hey, the fact that you got 1600 miles without having to dump any money into it is something in itself!

Malevy
05-24-2011, 10:25 PM
I had to add some blinker fluid.

Marty
05-24-2011, 11:07 PM
I made mine worse. Installed a new 'battrey charge' bulb in the dash, now I'm blowing the fuse. Can't find anything wrong with the bulb. I seem to have big time gremlins.

Michael
05-24-2011, 11:56 PM
I made mine worse. Installed a new 'battrey charge' bulb in the dash, now I'm blowing the fuse. Can't find anything wrong with the bulb. I seem to have big time gremlins.

I seem to remember reading somewhere the battery light is part of the charge circuit and must be replaced with exactly the right bulb(no LED's, or "it'll doo wattage)

As for me, I haven't done anything to mine. It got driven once about 25 miles in the past month.

Marty
05-25-2011, 12:12 AM
I seem to remember reading somewhere the battery light is part of the charge circuit and must be replaced with exactly the right bulb(no LED's, or "it'll doo wattage)

Yes, totally right. I ordered the new bulb from DMCH sooooo, it had better be correct! It has been a long time since I've drive 25 miles!

Renee_1632
05-25-2011, 12:27 AM
My God. What hasn't happened??

Well, the starting issues, I've been working closely with Marc and other owners...thought I fixed it (twice!) but didn't. It's not a cold start issue, it's a cold-start-when-it's-hot-outside issue. But, it hasn't reared it's ugly head in the last few days...probably only because it's been cooler. I'll make a thread about it in a day or two.

My dubious-legality ticket got thrown out of court (as predicted by you all). The magistrate couldn't believe it, and liked the DeLorean, so all was well.

I also attempted to install a new radio, in which process my boyfriend managed to break my A/C by knocking off the vacuum hose connector under the radio. Eventually after much frustration, radio was installed, 1632 was dragged into the 21st century kicking and screaming, and boyfriend redeemed himself by fixing the A/C.

I also:
-installed windsheild wipers
-started rust removal
-bought various manuals
-(sort of) taught myself to remove scratches.

Needless to say, much productivity occurred. For now.

fnzen
05-25-2011, 01:13 AM
1049 has been behaving beautifully. I am currently in the process of converting it to EFI, using Megasquirt.

How do you like the stage 2? How noticeable is the increase in power? I ask because I am considering doing cams + exhaust after I finish my EFI conversion, and I am not sure if it would be worth the work, so I am looking for opinions.

All I can say is AWESOME!

It really is a different car, it actually goes over 100 with ease the power band is over 3000rpm and up so its not off the line fast but it really makes it a high speed touring car, makes you want to "drive it like you stole it":devil:

Oh I also installed 140mph speedo , but my angle drive cable is now hosed

Chris 16409
05-25-2011, 02:53 AM
My (original) headlight switch fell to pieces. Should I buy new or fix the old? $100 for a new switch. Argg.

Are you looking to buy an original headlight switch? The vendors sell the reproduction unit for around $60 (No wait I just checked, It's more like $90 now!). The price must have gone up with the new run of them. I knew they were out of stock for a bit. I do have a spare I bought off of e-bay, PM me for details if you are interested.

SIMid
05-25-2011, 03:17 AM
She's on the boat. :)

axh174
05-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Ah! Wonderful to see DMCTalk back up and to be conversing with all you wonderful DeLorean owners again!:D

2234 Fired right up after winter hibernation and purred like a kitten. First time since owning her that something didn't nessecitate my immediate attention when getting her out after winter.

Future plans include:

1) Replacing Headliner
2) Replacing an aging fuel line
3) Adding a third brake light (85 corvette type)

dmc6960
05-25-2011, 09:27 AM
2 problems...

My LAMBDA counter started making crazy noises followed by erratic speedometer behavior. Decided to order a one-piece cable from PJ Grady, still waiting for it to arrive (Rob either didn't have any stocked, or doesn't stock them at all. Waiting for one to be built).

Second problem much more serious. The car has developed an intermittent electrical fault somewhere within the Megasquirt computer. Symptoms are the car will randomly stall once hot in the afternoon (only has done it once in the morning). Leaves the car paralyzed for anywhere between a few seconds to several minutes. I've eliminated the input power from possible trouble, managed to get a meter on it during the problem. So the issue is likely somewhere on the Megasquirt board itself. I hope to have time this upcoming weekend to take it apart and check it out.

Jim Reeve
DMC6960

opethmike
05-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Second problem much more serious. The car has developed an intermittent electrical fault somewhere within the Megasquirt computer. Symptoms are the car will randomly stall once hot in the afternoon (only has done it once in the morning). Leaves the car paralyzed for anywhere between a few seconds to several minutes. I've eliminated the input power from possible trouble, managed to get a meter on it during the problem. So the issue is likely somewhere on the Megasquirt board itself. I hope to have time this upcoming weekend to take it apart and check it out.

Jim Reeve
DMC6960

Ouch - makes me a little nervous about my own ongoing conversion. I am taking your advice for the 'hot' 12v source - using the bulkhead connect behind the parcel shelf on the passenger side.

Please let us know what the issue turns out to be, as I may (hopefully not) run into the issue at some point in the future.

Farrar
05-25-2011, 11:26 AM
The odometer turned over 78,000 miles, the passenger knee pad fell off (it's missing two studs), I determined my a/c leak is at the evaporator, and I accidentally broke one of the studs under the driver's seat.

Farrar

SamHill
05-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Are you looking to buy an original headlight switch? The vendors sell the reproduction unit for around $60 (No wait I just checked, It's more like $90 now!). The price must have gone up with the new run of them. I knew they were out of stock for a bit. I do have a spare I bought off of e-bay, PM me for details if you are interested.

DMCH sells an "improved part" for $97 dollars. Not sure what's improved about it. (This is something I'm sure was discussed up and down but I never read it because I had larger issues.) I remember Bill warning me that it would break eventually, but now that it has happened, I don't want to replace it with the same ol' bad part. For right now, I'll just take a look at the old one and see if there's anything that can be done to it.

sdg3205
05-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Installed Dave's solid state RPM relay.

I now realize my old RPM was probably doing nothing more than running the fuel pump poorly.

I thought I had an idle issue or fuel mixture problem. I'm fairly certain the lambda system is now operating for the first time in years. The car is running great.

My 140 amp motorola alternator (which was basically new) had died. I decided to void my warranty and have a local alternator legend look at it (I wanted to get the car back on the road). Turns out it had a bent shaft. For a reasonable repair fee I've now got a full year warranty on it.

Also, for all you RWL fans out there, I ordered some "White Tire Paint" that is made in Iceland of all places! It's more liquid rubber than paint, and is suppose to be fantastic.
$20 for a can shipped!

timothymoore
05-25-2011, 01:55 PM
not a darn thing..... having title issues with mine so im waiting to get my title back in my name...... in the mean time im banking as much money as i can to start working on it when i get the title. im choosing not to do major work to it untill i get the title.

Kukem
05-25-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm actually in the middle of purchasing a D soon! I hope to be flying out next week and possibly purchasing it then! Kinda excited!

Evildeli
05-25-2011, 04:43 PM
I got something going on and I don't know what to quite make of it yet. At a car show about 2 months ago I couldn't get the car to start at the end of the show. It kept trying to turn over. After trying 3 times and waiting a few more minutes, it finally started up. When I got home, I checked my fluids and found my coolant real low( it's been low since I replaced the evaporator)(forgot to top it back off). So I added some coolant and everything seemed fine.
Last weekend I took the car out for a spin. Ran great. When I got home I parked in the garage and shut her down. I forgot I needed to put some things in the attic, so I had to restart her and move. It was only about 10 minutes resting, but she hesitated to turn over. She started on the first try though, and so I decided to pull the car back and shut it down again to see what would happen if it sat for 5 minutes turned off. Of course she started like a champ. I haven't checked the coolant again cause the car was still hot, and I haven't had time since. I don't think it's the coolant though. I think it might be the warm up regulator, but not sure. Anyone got ideas(about this issue)?

ssdelorean
05-25-2011, 09:13 PM
The odometer turned over 78,000 miles, [snip]

Farrar

My odometer turned over 150,000 miles - which actually means in reality more like 150,248 miles due to angle drive failures while driving (see sig).

DMC3165
05-26-2011, 01:56 PM
I finally got my other dent fixed in my stainless. So I now have a dent free D, YAY!

DeLorean03
05-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Installed my new dust cap and officially have a working speedometer in April for the first time since October 2010 (:

Bikercmbc
05-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Well when all the storms came through the south about three weeks ago mine got totalled from hail damage. We had golf to baseball size hail. I had blankets and a car cover on it but it still damaged it. Still waiting to settle with insurance then I will be looking to get the car sold as is.

Mike C.
05-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Damn, sorry to hear that!! Glad you made it through though!

DL4567
05-26-2011, 09:15 PM
It has sat in the garage.

Gotta drive it this weekend....

TEXSIX
05-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Got mine back from DMCH after the accident, (rear ended) and trying to get back to enjoying driving it.

Dangermouse
05-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Well when all the storms came through the south about three weeks ago mine got totalled from hail damage. We had golf to baseball size hail. I had blankets and a car cover on it but it still damaged it. Still waiting to settle with insurance then I will be looking to get the car sold as is.

Wondered about mine during recent storms too and thought about putting some sort of protective layers on it but thought they would just blow off
Don't want to be too gruesome but did it break all the glass as well as dent the panels?

Glad you're ok though.

Bikercmbc
05-27-2011, 09:35 PM
No didnt break any of the glass luckily. Did dent every panel though. Probably 30-40 dents on the car. 3 on left front. Worst was roof and hood of course. I'll put pictures up later this weekend in a new thread. I had bed comforters on covering the whole car plus a car cover pungie corded to hold it all down. There were holes through the car cover

Malevy
05-27-2011, 10:52 PM
I am confused as to why they would have totaled the car?? You can replace every panel on the car for less than it is worth..

Bikercmbc
05-28-2011, 02:41 AM
Well price of the panels were 8k. To replace them at DMC Midwest was quoted 72 or 78 hours (can't remember which) at 110 an hour. Plus taxes put the total damage around 16k. Which was over 75% or more over the value of the car.

sdg3205
05-28-2011, 03:25 AM
Well price of the panels were 8k. To replace them at DMC Midwest was quoted 72 or 78 hours (can't remember which) at 110 an hour. Plus taxes put the total damage around 16k. Which was over 75% or more over the value of the car.

72 - 78 hours? I must be missing something - seized screws and bolts? The whole idea of the panels is "bolt on bolt off" isn't it?

I'm not questioning you or anything I'm just curious.

Dracula
05-28-2011, 07:48 AM
I installed new leaf springs and bushings, rear shocks, reconditioned rear end, new brake hoses, new wheel cylinders, new brake shoes, sandblasted and repaired rust areas in trunk and left rear quarter. Oh, that was on my '61 Chrysler.

On the Delorean? Well, I got my console clock to work! 8)

Got any pictures? I'd love to see that car; I'm also developing quite an affinity for Chrysler vehicles as of late.

Installed Dave's solid state RPM relay.

I now realize my old RPM was probably doing nothing more than running the fuel pump poorly.

I thought I had an idle issue or fuel mixture problem. I'm fairly certain the lambda system is now operating for the first time in years. The car is running great.

My 140 amp motorola alternator (which was basically new) had died. I decided to void my warranty and have a local alternator legend look at it (I wanted to get the car back on the road). Turns out it had a bent shaft. For a reasonable repair fee I've now got a full year warranty on it.

Also, for all you RWL fans out there, I ordered some "White Tire Paint" that is made in Iceland of all places! It's more liquid rubber than paint, and is suppose to be fantastic.
$20 for a can shipped!

Do you have a website for this? This is EXACTLY what I want for my car.

Bikercmbc
05-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Description: GENERIC 2 DOOR COUPE W/O LABOR Vehicle Production Date: 9/81
VIN: SCEDT26T1BD003772
Mileage: 36,023
OEM/ALT: A Search Code: KNOXVILLE1
Color: STEEL
Line Entry Labor Line Item Part Type/ Dollar Labor
Item Number Type Operation Description Part Number Amount Units
Hood
S2 1 101193 BDY REMOVE/REPLACE Hood Panel N.A. 1,076.44 * 7.0*
2 * PART PRICES PER DELOREAN MOTOR COMPANY
Front Fender
S2 3 100854 BDY REMOVE/REPLACE R Fender Panel N.A. 795.00 * 4.0*
S2 4 100855 BDY REMOVE/REPLACE L Fender Panel N.A. 3,000.00 * 4.0*
Front Door
S2 5 100814 BDY REMOVE/REPLACE R Frt Door Shell N.A. 1,145.89 * 18.0*
S2 6 100815 BDY REMOVE/REPLACE L Frt Door Shell N.A. 1,145.89 * 18.0*
Roof
S2 7 101530 BDY REMOVE/REPLACE Roof Panel N.A. 826.89 * 7.0*
Quarter Panel
S2 8 100971 BDY REMOVE/REPLACE R Quarter Outer Panel N.A. 1,000.49 * 10.0*
S2 9 100698 BDY REMOVE/REPLACE L Quarter Outer Panel N.A. 1,000.49 * 10.0*

i know those labor times are off cause it definately doesnt take 7 hours to take the T-panel off. the claims adjuster called james at dmc houston and talked to him about my car and that what she said. you have to remember taking all the glass out, window regulators and internals out of the doors, retorquing torsion bars. lining up panels, taking off bumpers to access fenders. i didnt think they would total it either, but all that stuff added to 75% or more of the value of the car. there were many many cars in knoxville that got totalled.

GS450-Junkie
05-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Were those new or used panels quoted from DMC or a mixture of both ? It's a couple hundred cheaper if you need a RF with an antenna hole vs. without.

sdg3205
05-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Got any pictures? I'd love to see that car; I'm also developing quite an affinity for Chrysler vehicles as of late.

Do you have a website for this? This is EXACTLY what I want for my car.

Hey Chad, I'm going to start a new thread for the tire paint since I've gotten a few PM's about it.

I'll include contact info for the vendor there.

Cheers!

Bikercmbc
05-28-2011, 02:18 PM
It was all new panels. I bought the car back from insurance and not planning on fixing it. Would rather sell it to someone who cares about these cars than it end up in a auction and some used car dealer get it and who knows what they will do with it

Dracula
05-28-2011, 02:22 PM
It was all new panels. I bought the car back from insurance and not planning on fixing it. Would rather sell it to someone who cares about these cars than it end up in a auction and some used car dealer get it and who knows what they will do with it

Since you already bought the car back, I'd advocate that you continue to drive her and enjoy. You can use some of the insurance money to fix the worst panels and leave the ones that are so-so until you either have the time or money to fix the car properly.

OceanChevy
06-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Sorry i have been gone so long i went to DMCtalk.com and it wasnt there anymore... What happened to the site and how has everyone been