PDA

View Full Version : Recycled Oil - Good or bad idea to use?

Ozzie
11-21-2012, 08:30 AM
No, I don't use it on any of my cars, but I am starting to see more and more of it for sale.

Recently saw this:
"Recycled oil has a smaller "carbon footprint," uses fewer resources to produce, and helps lower pollutants that may contribute to climate change. Recycled oil also helps reduce the need for new drilling and crude refining, maximizing the use of what's already been pulled out of the ground."

The second sentence is the only one that I can see makes sense, without having to see any chemical analyses such as to prove the first (or not).

Your opinions on recycled oil?

LEVY
11-21-2012, 08:36 AM
Properly recycled oil should be as good as "new" oil, after all, crude oil is nothing else but recycled stuff!

LEVY

Michael
11-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Properly recycled oil should be as good as "new" oil, after all, crude oil is nothing else but recycled stuff!

LEVY

Key word there being "should". The question you ask yourself is is it worth the savings? I think not, why put recycled oil in my cherished dream car? Is it better?

Bitsyncmaster
11-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Is it cheaper? Do they get all the acid and other chemicals or is it just filtered?

DMCMW Dave
11-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Recycled or re-refined? I can't imagine how they would ever formulate a specific viscosity out of waste oil that is all combined. Recycled to me sounds like it is filtered and maybe some magic dust added. Re-refined could be chemically broken down and refined like "new" oil, but there would be huge difference.

A very long time ago (more than I care to admit) I had a friend who used recycled oil because it was cheap ($1 a gallon!) and his car used oil like crazy. After about a year of that we pulled off a valve cover and it looked like mud inside, so they certainly hadn't been putting any detergents in it!

I'd be cautious, and really what't the point of saving maybe $5 on an oil change? It is not the expensive part of owning a car!

LEVY
11-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Is it cheaper? Do they get all the acid and other chemicals or is it just filtered?

According to manufacturer, NEXTGEN (http://nextgen.valvoline.com/) oil is as good as new oil. Same price!

Regarding oil drilling, they are not going to stop anytime soon. Almost 5000 drilling permits already issued for the Eagle Ford shale in South Texas from an estimated 11000 total.

LEVY

DMCMW Dave
11-21-2012, 01:04 PM
According to manufacturer, NEXTGEN (http://nextgen.valvoline.com/) oil is as good as new oil. Same price!
LEVY

At least it's from a real oil company (unlike the crap I mentioned above), but at the same price as "new" oil it's strictly a feel-good. Assuming it is available in the correct weight etc.

LEVY
11-21-2012, 01:33 PM
At least it's from a real oil company (unlike the crap I mentioned above), but at the same price as "new" oil it's strictly a feel-good. Assuming it is available in the correct weight etc.

Now I know what are you talking about.

Back on the "ole" days, anyone could start a backyard oil recycling business, I remember people selling "oil recycling recipes" , all you need was a 55 gal. drum, fire, used motor oil and a couple of kitchen ingredients, I believe that is was you were referring to.

LEVY

manta147
11-21-2012, 06:13 PM
I work at an auto parts store and often wondered about the re-cycled Next Gen as customers would ask me about it. I did some research and ALL oil EXCEPT Castrol use some form of re-cycled oil.According to our books,Castrol is the only oil that that is pure refined,and not mixed with a percentage of re-cycled oil.

LEVY
11-21-2012, 07:16 PM
I work at an auto parts store and often wondered about the re-cycled Next Gen as customers would ask me about it. I did some research and ALL oil EXCEPT Castrol use some form of re-cycled oil.According to our books,Castrol is the only oil that that is pure refined,and not mixed with a percentage of re-cycled oil.

Not true!

LEVY

Rhsxo
11-21-2012, 09:15 PM
According to Wikipedia:

The oil in a motor oil product does break down and burns as it is used in an engine*— it also gets contaminated with particles and chemicals that make it a less effective lubricant. Re-refining cleans the contaminants and used additives out of the dirty oil. From there, this clean "base stock" is blended with some virgin base stock and a new additives package to make a finished lubricant product that can be just as effective as lubricants made with all-virgin oil.[21] The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) defines re-refined products as containing at least 25% re-refined base stock,[22] but other standards are significantly higher. The California State public contract code defines a re-refined motor oil as one that contains at least 70% re-refined base stock.[23]
[edit]

manta147
11-22-2012, 06:44 AM
Levy,I'm just going by the info provided to me from my company....not from Castrol.We can't favor one oil company over the other as we run specials with all of them.So if my company provided me the wrong info,I apologize for the misleading info....but I don't know why they would as it would not benefit anyone involved.

LEVY
11-22-2012, 08:13 AM
Levy,I'm just going by the info provided to me from my company....not from Castrol.We can't favor one oil company over the other as we run specials with all of them.So if my company provided me the wrong info,I apologize for the misleading info....but I don't know why they would as it would not benefit anyone involved.

I'm not saying that you lied, but that you got your information wrong. While some oil companies might use some recycled oil and get away with it due to the "official" definition" of recycled oil, that is not a common practice.

LEVY