PDA

View Full Version : Fuel why you MUST replace those 30 year old fuel lines!

John U
06-26-2011, 09:10 PM
I finally got finished my VOD makeover....I replaced absolutely EVERYTHING....I was worried she would never run again after assembly. After a few start attempts, 3462 started up and was running! I rejoiced and danced around like a maniac...then I noticed the fuel pouring from the area of the accumulator underneath....here's what I found...

Replace those old fuel lines before they start a fire!!

John

opethmike
06-26-2011, 09:41 PM
That is one NASTY looking hose!

stevedmc
06-26-2011, 10:02 PM
I read the title of this thread and I was afraid something bad happened to you and your car. I'm so relieved to see you caught it before something happened.

Mark D
06-27-2011, 12:54 AM
+1 on replacing the fuel lines.

Shortly after I got my car I occasionally would notice a raw fuel smell in the garage after I took it for a drive. I traced smell back to the fuel distributor that was wet with fuel, and I found that one of the fuel hoses coming from the WUR had a split in it.

The plastic fuel line had formed a leak and the rubber protective coating was the only thing holding it from spraying everywhere. It would trickle down between the layering where the rubber was attached to the plastic hose and drip on the distributor. If I hadn't caught it right away it potentially could have lead to a fire.

An additional bonus of replacing all the fuel lines was that it SOLVED my idle hunting problem. Apparently the slight bleed off in pressure from the faulty WUR fuel hose was creating the issue.

DMC3165
06-27-2011, 05:44 AM
When Jeremy was working at PJ Gradys he told me those hoses are the #1 reason for DeLorean fires. Mine were 15 years old but they might as well have been 30. The outer hose had deteriorated exposing the mesh core of the hose. It wouldn't have turned out well if I let it go much longer. Luckily my accumulator was bad.

Bitsyncmaster
06-27-2011, 07:06 AM
Was that a high pressure hose? If so, someone has replaced it before. It may not be a hose rated for 75 PSI (you would want > 75 PSI rating).

content22207
06-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Hose on the backside of the accumulator doesn't have to be high pressure -- it only carries fuel seeping past the accumulator piston.

Bill Robertson

DCUK Martin
06-27-2011, 08:24 AM
No fuel should pass the accumulator "piston" (diaphram with a spring) if it's working correctly. This area is directly connected to the return line though so it is full of fuel, but has no flow.

Shameless plug: I do the three 106979 hoses too, John, which includes the accumulator high pressure hose... :thumbup2:

http://www.delorean.co.uk/parts/fuelhoses.jpg

Edit, your photo does seem to show the low pressure line though, which can be replaced with any suitable hose.

John U
06-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks Martin...I installed the set of fuel lines I bought from you and they look great!
I replaced the accum line with a high pressure fuel line from the autoparts store.

I can't imagine the problems that could have occurred if this leak was on the engine....I think it would have caught fire for sure...there was alot of fuel coming from that hose!

Bitsyncmaster
06-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Thanks Martin...I installed the set of fuel lines I bought from you and they look great!
I replaced the accum line with a high pressure fuel line from the autoparts store.

I can't imagine the problems that could have occurred if this leak was on the engine....I think it would have caught fire for sure...there was alot of fuel coming from that hose!

I know the "overflow" hose on the accumulator shares the return pipe with other things. But would you expect a lot of fuel from that hose if the accumulator is good?

John U
06-27-2011, 08:59 AM
it was a steady flow...not a pressurized stream, but flowing enough that if it caught fire it would be a mess!
My accum seems to work fine...I do have an extra from Hervey just in case though. I ordered it because I noticed a small leak from that area before doing the VOD. I thought it was the accumulator leaking, but obviously it was that hose.

David T
06-27-2011, 09:49 AM
The problem is not so much the accumulator. Even if the accumulator is totally shot there is a tiny hole to restrict the flow out of the accumulator. The problem is that hose is connected to the return from the PPR and that has a lot of flow but little pressure. Yes, old hoses ARE a big problem but what makes it even worse is sometimes a PO changes things and they are not always right. On top of that the fuel you get today is VERY hard on the fuel system, ESPECIALLY if the parts are not the right type and/or they are very old. Bottom-lining this, every owner should have their car inspected regularly. A through inspection can generally catch obvious stuff like this.
David Teitelbaum

content22207
06-27-2011, 10:17 AM
That hose only has flow if it is compromised. Otherwise, fuel in it just sits there.

Bill Robertson

John U
06-27-2011, 01:35 PM
That hose only has flow if it is compromised. Otherwise, fuel in it just sits there.

Bill Robertson

oh it was compromised alright!

jmrydholm
06-28-2011, 12:18 PM
I agree. I bought the whole SS set from John Hervey. Well worth the investment. I replaced the OEM hoses with new rubber 7 years ago for the first time. Then I moved to Ethanol Land- er, Missouri. Never again shall I use rubbber...

tgraham
06-28-2011, 08:00 PM
I installed the set of fuel lines I bought from you and they look great!

I'll second that. Here's what those (Martin's) black thermoplastic hoses look like, though hastily fitted just for a fuel test in this photo...

I really like the black finish (nice stock look).

Travis

Paulswpc
09-29-2015, 10:06 PM
Found this fuel filter to fuel distributor line laying on the exhaust manifold.

81dmc
09-29-2015, 10:20 PM

That's why I route my fuel feed line between the body and the reinforcement bar; basically next to the large vacuum line.

Fuel + DeLorean + Heat = Big Disaster

jmettee
09-30-2015, 05:41 AM

You're lucky. That's what happens when people either don't think when routing lines, or just push things around carelessly when working on the engine. It's a good idea to use zip-ties to tether lines where they are safe & not rubbing on parts like this.

Grover
09-30-2015, 11:58 AM
The previous owner of my car replaced it with a hose that wasn't rated fro 75 PSI. It blew out while I was driving and thankfully saw the fuel pouring out in my rear view mirror. Looking at the hose it was a Napa hose that just exploded out the side due to the pressure.

PJ Grady Inc.
09-30-2015, 05:10 PM
I'll second that. Here's what those (Martin's) black thermoplastic hoses look like, though hastily fitted just for a fuel test in this photo...

I really like the black finish (nice stock look).

Travis
While those swedged banjo connectors do look interesting I wouldn't call it a "nice stock look" IMHO. A nice but unusual look would be my take on it!
Rob

DeLoreanDMC81
02-12-2017, 12:34 AM
Here is a question, I'm in the process of replacing the entire fuel system. Where can I find the black hose that goes from the fuel distributor to the injectors. I know everyone sells the stainless lines, but I just want to buy the hose. Or can the connectors not come off the old hoses and be reused, thus meaning you have to buy the new stainless hoses?

Thanks for the help.

James
6408 & 2168

81dmc
02-12-2017, 12:54 AM
Here is a question, I'm in the process of replacing the entire fuel system. Where can I find the black hose that goes from the fuel distributor to the injectors. I know everyone sells the stainless lines, but I just want to buy the hose. Or can the connectors not come off the old hoses and be reused, thus meaning you have to buy the new stainless hoses?

Thanks for the help.

James
6408 & 2168

You can slice the old plastic hose off the banjo barbs, and you can usually find good quality, high pressure fuel injection hose at Ace Hardware. As for the clamps, look for fuel injection clamps at any auto parts store (e.g. O'reillys, Autozone, etc.). Now is this recommended? Hell no, but then again, it's your car.

IMHO, the stainless hose set is a much better investment.

MikeWard
02-12-2017, 02:26 AM
IMHO, the stainless hose set is a much better investment.
+1

For those who want a more OEM look, many vendors now offer the stainless braided lines with a black coating. Here are two examples of black coated sets;

http://www.deloreanclub.uk/stainless-braided-fuel-lines-fuel-hoses.html

http://www.deloreanclub.uk/black-stainless-braided-fuel-lines.html

Whoever you choose to buy the lines from the most important thing in my opinion is that the original lines are replaced. I wouldn't like to take a chance on 36+ year old fuel or brake lines. It's simply not worth the risk.

Had the black coated versions been around when I bought my car, I would have fitted them over a plain stainless set.

Delorean Industries
02-12-2017, 08:56 AM
Attempting to make these lines yourself has bad idea written all over it. Our lines are assembled by a DOT approved hose company and are each individually pressure tested. There is no reason to risk hand making these sections. You are better off keeping the stock lines.