PDA

View Full Version : General New Aluminum Seatbacks

GS450-Junkie
11-25-2012, 02:21 PM
So in the process of a complete seat overhaul... I decided to fix those crappy, flimsy and always broken seatbacks with something a little more sturdy and dependable. Mine seemed to turn to dust even as I moved them on the work bench so I figured why bother even trying to recover them. I went with 1/8" aluminum pieces. I had the original pieces drawn to scale in a CAD program by a local shop here in town, and then had them cut. I did the rest of the process myself...including deburring, and riveting the mounting brackets on, drilling all mounting holes, then applied new leather upholstery over the top to match my new seat covers. I went with the 2 tone covers from Houston for my seats, and figured I would take care of the backs at the same time on my own since Houston doesn't deal with the back of the seat. It's not a huge project, but I like finishing something completely instead of reusing old pieces or waiting for someone to put out a kit, etc. The dimensions are extremely close to the originals, and are a perfect fit. They are very sturdy and rigid...so they need a little wiggle to get them in since they don't basically fold in half like the wooden ones did. But...once they are in they are extremely snug. They fit so well I dedided not to secure the top 2 mounting screws for a cleaner look. None the less, I'm very pleased. They are very comfortable once installed, and I don't seem to notice any difference compared to the old ones. I suppose new seat covers really help as well. The only downside of the aluminum is that you can't staple the seatback cover over the structure...it has to be glued. But...no big deal, still very doable.
I specifically had them drawn up and saved in a CAD program so if any other owners were interested, I could have more made with just a phone call. The CAD drawing and file seemed to be the biggest part of this project...and most expensive. So if anyone would like a set...this is a good way to avoid all the runaround of figuring this out on your own. I do have some extra sets made ... I have them here out in the garage if anyone is interested. If you are interested...PM me and we can work something out. I will even mount and drill all the mounting brackets, etc. if you mail them to me.

stevie67cars
11-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Excellent job, looks great! My drivers seat back is always popping out of place.

Stephen

Kenny_Z
11-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Those look great. I didn't even think about making them out of aluminum. I just bought some more fiberboard instead.

Lenny
11-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Great Idea, where did you get the brackets? Did you use the old ones?

My drivers seat has been popping off.

GS450-Junkie
11-25-2012, 04:51 PM
I just reused my old brackets off of the original fiberboard pieces.

DMC5180
11-25-2012, 07:08 PM
"They fit so well I dedided not to secure the top 2 mounting screws for a cleaner look."

FWIW: I don't believe those 2 screws you refer too were supposed to be there anyway. The only screws should be the bottom two.

Ron
11-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Nice job!!!

...almost a shame to cover them :D

andy blackmon
11-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Looks great, nice thinking outside the box.
Andy B 03513

GS450-Junkie
11-25-2012, 11:49 PM
"They fit so well I dedided not to secure the top 2 mounting screws for a cleaner look."

FWIW: I don't believe those 2 screws you refer too were supposed to be there anyway. The only screws should be the bottom two.

Actually, I believe you're right. It's just deceiving since they are there when you start with the old panels.

ccurzio
11-26-2012, 08:47 AM
This is fantastic.

DavidProehl
11-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Love it! I could use a set of these.

SIMid
11-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Awesome modification.! :thumbup2:

Might have to look into something like this when it's time to re-do the seats.

TTait
11-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Nice!

Are you willing to share the CAD files?

I wonder how these would look made out of brushed stainless, without the hole in the center? (And left uncovered)

Tom

john 05141
11-30-2012, 03:14 AM
Tandem use for seat heating??

jan

Dangermouse
11-30-2012, 08:06 AM
I wonder how these would look made out of brushed stainless, without the hole in the center? (And left uncovered)

Tom

I think I read that you need the hole to make the seats more comfortable, and let the air out of the seatback when you compress it by sitting in the seat.

dmc4087
11-30-2012, 08:14 AM
I think I read that you need the hole to make the seats more comfortable, and let the air out of the seatback when you compress it by sitting in the seat.

That might explain why my retrimmed seats were a little harder than standard? I'm nearly sure the seat backs were remade in a solid piece.

GS450-Junkie
11-30-2012, 09:31 AM

Yes...you are correct. When you sit in the seat the seat back surface goes into the cut away area. If it was solid, there would be no place for anything to go, and the seat would be rather uncomfortable.

dmc6960
11-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Tandem use for seat heating??

I dont see how. Seat heaters should go directly under the upholstery to have any real affect. A different seat back would not affect that.

Morpheus
12-06-2012, 03:15 PM

Tom

I imagine that would add some unnecessary weight to the car, aside from the aforementioned reason why the hole is there.

1batt4u
12-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Are you going to start selling these?

Would love to buy a set!

GS450-Junkie
12-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Yes...I have several sets here. PM me. You just need to tell me how much of it you would like me to do before I send them out to you. i.e. de-bur, drilling, attaching brackets, gluing upholstery back on, etc. I'm still trying to work out a fair price for these.... I'd like to make something on them, but I don't want them to seem outrageous either.

Starglider
12-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Do you have the dimensions + weight for shipping?

GS450-Junkie
12-07-2012, 05:14 PM
I was hoping to box up a set this weekend. If there are no brackets attached, I'm sure the box will be a little slimmer and lighter to go overseas.

GS450-Junkie
01-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Finally got around to boxing up a set of pre-drilled aluminum panels. In a box 23" long, 19" wide, and approx. 3" high the weight is around 7 lbs. I also boxed up a set for a guy where the aluminum seatbacks had everything mounted to them and were completely refinished....i.e. 3 mounting brackets installed, new foam padding (to replace original black foam---that has since been reduced to a powder over the past 30 years), as well as the original gray covers glued back on and that box was approx. 9 lbs.

Shipping to United Kingdom was roughly $60 US for the 7 lbs box. That was for Global Priority Mail via USPS. I haven't checked UPS yet. In the States...shipping is ranging from $10-$25 depending on the service. Hope this helps if anyone is interested in a set.

Here are some pics of a set I just finished with the original covers glued on with the new foam added underneath to give the cover some of its original shape back.

ccurzio
01-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Are those mine? Because goddamn that's nice work.

GS450-Junkie
01-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Are those mine? Because goddamn that's nice work.

Yes... those are yours. :tongue:

ccurzio
01-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Well worth the money. I'm excited. Thanks!

ccurzio
01-20-2013, 10:50 AM
So does anyone have any tips on installing some seat backs that no longer have any flex? I can't get these damn things installed. :(

DMC5180
01-20-2013, 11:12 AM
You have to place the panel onto the seat back about 2 inches down from the final position. Then slide it upwards while pushing firmly against the side where the brackets are located. These should hook under tabs in the seat frame. Once those are caught on the tabs, keep pushing upward while pushing in on the top edge corners so that the upper bracket is hooked under the frame. Being that those backers are now metal and not flexible masonite, extra pressure will be needed to maneuver it into it's final position.

ccurzio
01-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Yeah that's pretty much what I figured (and the method I've been using) since that's how they came out, but holy balls what a chore.

I've also discovered that due to the stiffness of the frame, it really wants to pull HARD against the mounting screws - enough to strip the threads. My inside screw on the driver's seat no longer fastens. Thankfully it doesn't look bad.

I have to say, I'm disappointed in these things. Not because of the quality - because GS450 did a hell of a job on them, but because they're next to impossible to install. The only thing I've managed to do is bend the shit out of the brackets. I'm scared to keep trying for fear that they'll snap off.

ccurzio
01-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Gotcha, bitches.

http://i.imgur.com/0e9kasQ.jpg

Thanks for the excellent work, GS450. :)

DMC5180
01-20-2013, 01:43 PM
In reality, they should have been made from .090 aluminum. This would give them better flexibility for installation without compromising the integrity of the panel. I'm sure the only reason .125 was used is because the OEM board was that thick. I actually have 1/4" masonite boards. They are extremely stiff too but was still able to get them into place without bending tabs. Unfortunately, I made them solid panels without the center cutout. This was a mistake. I'll get around to correcting it one of these day's. Perhaps with a set of these panels.

GS450-Junkie
01-20-2013, 07:00 PM
Yea...they are snug. But once you get them in, they look and hold up extremely well. I had considered .090" aluminum when we first played around with some different mock designs and opted for the .125" since it still seemed doable on the seat we were using. Although a little stiff, the .125" panel slipped right in with some finesse, but I'm not surprised if they vary from car to car or seat to seat. I may just switch to .090" from this point on for a little easier fit. Glad you got them in Chris! They look good. We'll fine tune it a bit here and get it right so hopefully it doesn't scare other people away because they are nice once installed.... Sure beats a piece of fiberboard that's snapped in twelve different places. :biggrin: Did you sit in them yet?

ccurzio
01-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Sure beats a piece of fiberboard that's snapped in twelve different places. :biggrin: Did you sit in them yet?

Definitely! That shit fiberboard was broken since first buying this car, and previous DeLoreans I'd looked at all had the same issue. It's nice to know that I've got some hard core fit and finish to these seat backs now.

I've deliberately flopped into the driver's seat a few times just to make sure they'll hold up to standard use, and after some finagling they seem solid for sure.

I highly recommend buying these from this thread! He does great work and it's worth it to have your seat backs stop looking like ratty shit, even if they are a bitch and three fourths to get installed. :)

thirdmanj
02-27-2013, 08:21 AM
I just skimmed through this thread. Did you ever settle on a price for this set up?

GS450-Junkie
02-27-2013, 09:00 AM
I threw some on Ebay in the past few weeks and I got a little more for them on there, but I think I'll settle on $150 for DMCTalk members. That's for the 2 aluminum panels, de-burred and drilled, but I will also rivet your brackets on for no additional charge if you mail them to me. I can also replace your foam, and glue your vinyl covers back onto the new aluminum pieces for another $50. Turn-around time is a day, a couple of days if I glue.

1batt4u
03-06-2013, 05:56 PM
I just got my seatbacks recently. Sorry I'm posting so late.

Here they are:

Picture doesn't do it justice! Looks really good and strong! :-) I'm happy with them.

GS450-Junkie
03-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Hey thanks! Just remember that when you put these back into the seats you may need to work them into place a bit. They are more rigid than the old ones, but that is a good thing!! The old fiber-board panels were flexible enough to slip right into place, but that's part of the reason why you had to buy the new ones, and also why they failed. :hihi2: You'll love the new ones even more once they're in and you take that first sit in the seat!!

Morpheus
03-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Will you be offering this part/service only for a short time? I would love to have this done, but I'm not at the "interior" stage of my restoration yet.

GS450-Junkie
03-07-2013, 05:21 PM
No, this will be ongoing. I have some orders here and there, and I plan on keeping some readily available. I'm pretty flexible. Especially since I'm in the middle of an interior gutting project myself. :race:

EdR5150
03-08-2013, 01:41 PM
It looks like DPI caught on:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151377729955345

In another thread I mentioned having near-idenitcal vinyl that I was going to use for my seatcbacks. Josh mentions he has "new direct match material."

Delorean Industries
03-08-2013, 01:46 PM
It looks like DPI caught on:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151377729955345

In another thread I mentioned having near-idenitcal vinyl that I was going to use for my seatcbacks. Josh mentions he has "new direct match material."

We have been popping the brackets for a while. Figured might as well make the backs from stainless too.

GS450-Junkie
03-08-2013, 10:15 PM
figures....

thirdmanj
03-08-2013, 11:02 PM
We have been popping the brackets for a while. Figured might as well make the backs from stainless too.

Josh, any word when the stainless steel seat covers will be available? ....:hihi2:

Lenny
07-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Has anyone else done this are you happy?

GS450-Junkie
07-22-2013, 06:42 PM
8 sets and counting. Only complaint so far was the original purchaser saying that the metal was a little too thick making install a bit difficult. But...we've addressed that by switching to a thinner material, and since then no issues that I'm aware of.

kings1527
12-14-2013, 03:01 AM
Working on finally getting these things on. Wow. I have the original .125 thickness. It's a tough go but I know how solid they are once they're in place.

I'm starting a couple inches below the fasteners where the side brackets will end up, and sliding the whole assembly north until the top bracket latches into the top of the seat frame. Correct? Might I need to bend the top bracket a bit to get it to find it's way into the top of the seat frame? I want to ask before I start bending/breaking things.

MacinTek
05-19-2017, 09:54 PM
Yes...I have several sets here. PM me. You just need to tell me how much of it you would like me to do before I send them out to you. i.e. de-bur, drilling, attaching brackets, gluing upholstery back on, etc. I'm still trying to work out a fair price for these.... I'd like to make something on them, but I don't want them to seem outrageous either.
Are you still doing these? What is the cost?