PDA

View Full Version : Welding Advice and Info

ccurzio
11-28-2012, 05:41 PM
Does anyone have any info or suggestions on welding equipment? I'd like to get into small to medium welding jobs, and I'm debating between Oxy/Acetylene or something electrical. Does anyone do any regular welding and have any suggestions for a beginning welder?

On the one hand, O/A welding is easy to pick up and versatile, and (from my understanding) it's easier to get clean cutting with an acetylene torch cutting tip. On the other hand, it's relatively old tech and not great for precision work.

Disclaimer: I'm leaning toward O/A since it's a pretty low barrier to entry from both a cost and skill standpoint.

Thoughts?

Bitsyncmaster
11-28-2012, 06:18 PM
You will need to buy or rent tanks. Acetylene is also pretty high cost. If you decide to go with a MIG, get one that has a shield gas tank so you can weld thin metal and save cost in the long run.

I have both and rarely use my gas set to weld.

ccurzio
11-28-2012, 06:30 PM
You will need to buy or rent tanks. Acetylene is also pretty high cost.

Yep, and an Oxygen tank too I imagine. I can get a 10 ft^3 acetylene cylinder for around a hundred bucks, but what's the approximate cost of filling it?

I have both and rarely use my gas set to weld.

What do you use to cut?

Bitsyncmaster
11-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Yep, and an Oxygen tank too I imagine. I can get a 10 ft^3 acetylene cylinder for around a hundred bucks, but what's the approximate cost of filling it?

What do you use to cut?

I cut with a bandsaw most everything. Of course you can't fix a frame that way. I have a small gas setup with small tanks. It's been so long since I changed tanks. My welding supply will just exchange your empty tank for a full one of the same size. I think the standard large tanks cost > $100 to fill.

nullset
11-28-2012, 08:44 PM
It all depends on what you plan to weld.

Stainless or Aluminum? You want to get a TIG setup and learn how to use it.

Most people use angle grinders or band saws for cutting. O/A cutting is only really used for making cuts in huge pieces of metal where you can't get any better tools.

Plasma cutting is FUN!

--buddy

Nicholas R
11-28-2012, 09:52 PM
What type of metal are you hoping to weld? The clear choice starting out is a MIG that uses a shielding gas. I took a 10 week course in each of the 4 major types of welding and I would say hands down that MIG is the easiest to just pick up and run with. Also the cost to fill a 75/25 argon tank is pretty low.

For cutting I use an angle grinder. Every bit of cutting I did for my engine swap I did with an angle grinder. Probably went through about 25 cutting discs by the end but the precision was good, there was no slag, very low cost.

ccurzio
11-28-2012, 10:17 PM
In all honesty, I really don't know what metals I'd be using. I have a few projects I want to tackle (fire pit, smoker, workshop cart, security bars, etc.), so I guess steel would be a safe assumption for most jobs.

ccurzio
11-28-2012, 10:50 PM
The clear choice starting out is a MIG that uses a shielding gas.

Why that over flux core? Also what size welder do you have and do you wish you got one heavier/lighter? How much electricity do you find that it eats? (The 220 version is not an option for me at all.)

Nicholas R
11-29-2012, 02:50 AM
Why that over flux core? Also what size welder do you have and do you wish you got one heavier/lighter? How much electricity do you find that it eats? (The 220 version is not an option for me at all.)

Flux core is very dirty and has a lot of slag because the wire is hollow and filled with flux. It's the same principle as stick welding, where the consumable electrode is coated in a layer of flux to protect the weld from oxidation due to exposure to the air, as well as bring impurities to the surface to chip off. It's just on a smaller scale and doesn't produce nearly as clean or deep welds as stick welding. With stick welding there is enough flux to keep the material from oxidizing while molten; with flux core I have never found that to be the case. I dont think anyone would vouch for flux core over a shielding gas.

If you can only use a 110v welder then your only option is a MIG. I dont believe they make TIG/Stick 110v welders.

I have 2 welders and I love them both. One is a 110v MIG welder that I use a shielding gas with. It does a great job but is really only good with materials up to ~3/16" thick (and even that can be pushing it). Still, if you're not welding plate steel it does a great job. I actually bought the 110 on purpose because of the versatility, and ability to weld anywhere since it's 110v. I do notice that if I'm running at the highest setting it will trip a 10amp breaker so a 15 amp circuit is certainly preferable, though not required.

My other welder is a 220v Miller Syncrowave TIG/STICK welder that pretty much covers everything else. It does an amazing job; the TIG is unbelievably precise, the STICK can penetrate deep and produce extremely strong welds, but it's no where near as convenient as the MIG.

One thing to note about MIGs with regard to flux core though, is that if you buy a MIG welder that can use a shielding gas, you can also use flux core wire with it (just remove the gas and change the wire spool) if you want. However, if you buy a MIG that is only flux core, you cannot convert it over as it is not plumed for the shielding gas.

Bitsyncmaster
11-29-2012, 04:51 AM
I have a 120 volt MIG and have yet to find where I don't have enough power to weld with. I have even done 1/4 steel plate by using a very large (swinging) bead to get the joint heated. My welder is about 10 years old and is recommend to use a 30 amp 120 volt plug if you set it to max current (never seen a 30 amp 120 volt plug). I use 0.025" solid wire (10 lb. spool) which I can weld steel down to 0.050" thick reliably. A pro can do steel down to 0.035" and not burn through. Flux wire only comes in 0.030" which also limits how thin you can weld. My tank (CO2/Argon) is 25 cu.ft I think. Not so big, to make moving it around easy but will last a long time. I think my welder with tank cost around $550 back 10 years ago. They are probably cheaper these days.

The way to get a nice weld with any welder is to keep a close eye on the bead puddle as your welding. I have to get my face right down near the weld to do this (old age eyesight) but the mask fully shields your face. The auto darkening mask is another must have but these days are very cheap to buy.

Spittybug
11-29-2012, 11:12 AM
I have a Lincoln MIG that takes either flux core or you attach shielding gas. So far I have only used the flux core, but now that I have a CO2 tank I may get more ambitious. With my welder I put in floor pans for a 79 Superbeetle, replaced the full length rockers (structural members in a bug) and have done several small "repairs" of things around the house. Suits my needs. I also have a 220V spot welder that has come in handy before too.

+1 on the auto darkening mask.

ccurzio
11-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Thanks for all the responses, everyone, this is great information. I'm sure I will have more questions at some point.

In the meantime, does anyone have any specific recommendations for a good auto-darkening mask? I was reading some reviews on some from harbor freight recently and there were a few that said the users were hurt because they didn't darken quickly enough. For that reason alone I'm wondering if I just shouldn't get a manual.

nullset
11-29-2012, 12:04 PM
You can stick weld with 2 car batteries....but 3 is better.

I'm not saying it's easy, but it can be done!

nullset
11-29-2012, 12:05 PM
I'd suggest you look in to a welding class from a local community college. They're usually pretty cheap and you'll get enough time in to decide what'll fit your needs.

If you're in Atlanta, I would tell you to take a welding class from my friend Matt at My Inventor Club - myinventorclub.com

--buddy

Kenny_Z
11-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Buy a helmet with a name on it. I bought mine at Lowes at the same time I bought my 120v Lincoln MIG. Your eyes are well worth the extra cost. With an auto-darkening helmet you need to be aware of shadows on your mask. I got a nice blast of light because a shadow blocked the welding light from hitting the activation sensor. I switched to my regular helmet after that just because of the angle I was working.

Spittybug
11-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks for all the responses, everyone, this is great information. I'm sure I will have more questions at some point.

In the meantime, does anyone have any specific recommendations for a good auto-darkening mask? I was reading some reviews on some from harbor freight recently and there were a few that said the users were hurt because they didn't darken quickly enough. For that reason alone I'm wondering if I just shouldn't get a manual.

Mine is HF and I've had no problems with it.

SS Spoiler
11-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Got a HOBART MANHANDLER about 25 years ago [gas version] It works so well I never touched my stick welder after that, gave it to my brother. Did my first stainless project by welding up my 37lb. spoiler!

nullset
11-29-2012, 01:25 PM
The other thing that is really important - ALWAYS wear 100% UVA and UVB safety glasses, even under your welding hood. They're the last line of defense against destroying your eyes, and you can't see or feel UV. "Z87.1" or better is what you want.

--buddy

Bitsyncmaster
11-29-2012, 02:05 PM
What I do to make sure the helmet is working is look at a light or the sun to verify it goes dark before I weld.

Nicholas R
11-29-2012, 03:05 PM
I've gone through 2 harbor freight auto darkening hoods now. I've found that as they age, their sensors start to deteriorate causing them to auto darken slower, and in worse cases, momentarily un-darken at random while working. That sucks. Pretty much have to stop after being blinded. I've given up on harbor freight hoods. If you're welding every now and then it's probably not bad, but I was welding for 2-3 hours a week for a year when I ruined my first HF hood and got my second. My second is to the same point though now. I have an old filter plate hood that I've been using lately. Nothing special to it, just a standard filtering screen that cannot fail.

I'd actually like to get another auto-darkening hood, but the next time I'm actually going to invest in one.

ccurzio
11-29-2012, 03:07 PM
I've gone through 2 harbor freight auto darkening hoods now. I've found that as they age, their sensors start to deteriorate causing them to auto darken slower, and in worse cases, momentarily un-darken at random while working. That sucks. Pretty much have to stop after being blinded. I've given up on harbor freight hoods.

Ayup, this is what I was afraid of. HF hoods are out.

My eyes are worth it.

ccurzio
01-04-2013, 12:40 PM
I cut with a bandsaw most everything. Of course you can't fix a frame that way. I have a small gas setup with small tanks. It's been so long since I changed tanks. My welding supply will just exchange your empty tank for a full one of the same size. I think the standard large tanks cost > $100 to fill.

I actually did go with the OAW setup. Just as an FYI, I got the full-size tanks and Oxygen is $20 to refill the tank, and Acetylene is $34. Definitely not bad.

I also just completed my first project. Every welder needs a welding table, so I scrounged together a bunch of metal scrap and bars and welded one together. :)

http://i.imgur.com/1BUCw.jpg

thirdmanj
01-04-2013, 01:35 PM
I actually did go with the OAW setup. Just as an FYI, I got the full-size tanks and Oxygen is $20 to refill the tank, and Acetylene is $34. Definitely not bad.

I also just completed my first project. Every welder needs a welding table, so I scrounged together a bunch of metal scrap and bars and welded one together. :)

Well, if it doesn't work out as a welding table, you could alway stick it on eBay as "modern art".

Kenny_Z
01-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Not bad. I use an old workmate that I have set on fire more than once. This might be a better idea.

mluder
01-04-2013, 05:44 PM

Dude!!!!! Is that a DeLorean in the background?????

Cheers
Steven

ccurzio
01-04-2013, 06:18 PM

Cheers
Steven

Believe me, that's already been mentioned by people elsewhere. :)

Kenny_Z
01-04-2013, 10:33 PM

Cheers
Steven

Delorean? Where? I only see a Mortal Kombat symbol...

DMC5180
01-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Believe me, that's already been mentioned by people elsewhere. :)

You don't have that NEW SW Exhaust bolted up yet!!!!! The hell man, what are you waiting for. Focus man Focus!:wrenchin:

refugeefromcalif
01-06-2013, 06:46 PM

Cheers
Steven

Looks like that DeLorean is starting to get some Eyebrows...

(Mine is too). :(

George

Dangermouse
01-09-2013, 01:32 PM
'tis a thing of beauty Chris.

ccurzio
01-12-2013, 07:37 PM
'tis a thing of beauty Chris.

I don't agree at all, but thanks. It's functional at least! :)

It was never meant to be pretty. Hell, that table top was a piece of scrap steel I got from my ex girlfriend's uncle's shop a few weeks ago.

You don't have that NEW SW Exhaust bolted up yet!!!!! The hell man, what are you waiting for. Focus man Focus!:wrenchin:

My kit was missing some parts. Waiting for Josh to ship them to me to complete my set.

Dangermouse
01-15-2013, 10:52 PM
It may not be pretty but it's beauty lies in the fact that you created something out of nothing.