PDA

View Full Version : UC Davis Picnic Day 2013 - Time to start planning!

jawn101
11-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Guys - I have to start putting together our parade application for this year's Picnic Day already. Early, I know. Not sure why we are starting in November this year.

Anyway - it will be Saturday, April 20th this year. General event details at http://picnicday.ucdavis.edu/

It was a great experience for all who participated this past year (with the possible exception of poor David Proehl, who just seems to have the worst luck sometimes :)) and this year should be no different. We had 5 cars last year and I'm hoping we can do even better this time around. The crowd's reaction was truly priceless and I'd say we were the hit of the parade.

The route is nice and easy, with minimal turns. Easy on the doors, which we typically leave up. Reserved parking is available before the parade in the staging area and afterwards so you can enjoy the rest of the festivities when the parade is done. Be sure your A/C, brakes, clutch and door struts/torsion bars are up to snuff.

I'm going to fill out the application and tell them we will have 10 cars this year. I'll have plenty of time to amend that number to be larger, and if it ends up smaller then oh well. But I think we can do it!

Shoot me an email or PM (or just reply to this thread) and let me know if you think you can make it. As the time gets closer I will need the same stuff as this past year - names and signatures for yourself and passenger on the signup sheet, a copy of your license/registration/insurance, and a waiver for any passengers under 13.

vwdmc16
11-29-2012, 11:18 PM
It will be lots of fun! Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this Jon!

jawn101
11-29-2012, 11:28 PM
Awesome, up to 5 already!! Lets keep it going and see if we can make it 10!

DavidProehl
11-30-2012, 09:16 AM
I'm in. It was an awesome day, aside from the $400 tow home. I have new clutch master and slave cylinders now so that shouldn't be a problem this time right? :)

vwdmc16
11-30-2012, 03:32 PM
And you worked on the radiator recently too right? I ll have to get new door struts before the show

DavidProehl
11-30-2012, 03:51 PM
And you worked on the radiator recently too right? I ll have to get new door struts before the show

Yep! Replaced the radiator, fans, and header bottle. Cooling system *should* be rock solid now. Next up is to go over my brakes. For sure need new pads and to bleed the system, debating about going all out with new lines, calipers, rotors, and master cylinder for piece of mind. Trying to figure out if running original on that stuff is risky enough to justify the expense.

I know you've been working on your own welding and machining of your new W pipe, but if you need help with that door strut replacement project, give me a call. I can replace a strut like no one else. ;)

jawn101
11-30-2012, 04:24 PM
I'd help out with the brake job if you decide to go all out! I actually really enjoyed doing mine. It was mindless wrenching and pretty enjoyable. Lots of cleaning which I find very cathartic. You guys have both seen me sit on the floor and spend hours cleaning a single part, usually while you two are doing all the real work... lol

The existing stuff can be mostly rebuilt without needing to spend all that cash up front on new calipers, etc. Just get rebuild kits and new pistons and we can do all the work ourselves.

Brakes are very important. As long as you can stop the car everything else is secondary. Even if you have an engine fire you still have to stop the car before you get out and extinguish it. Plus we don't want you ramming us in the parade.... :)

dmc3130
12-06-2012, 10:05 PM
As you already know------I'm in for the picnic day @ Davis :cool1:

I also posted this on Facebook on the Norcal Delorean page

Stephen

jawn101
12-09-2012, 01:17 PM
As you already know------I'm in for the picnic day @ Davis :cool1:

I also posted this on Facebook on the Norcal Delorean page

Stephen

Awesome. We are up to 7 cars. Almost there!!!

Ryan S.
01-06-2013, 01:30 AM
OK count me in.
Hope my hot start and fuel odor issues will be resolved before the picnic day.

DavidProehl
01-06-2013, 12:00 PM
OK count me in.
Hope my hot start and fuel odor issues will be resolved before the picnic day.

There are temporary work arounds for the hot start issue until you get your accumulator replaced. The attached doc (15790) has a procedure listed, or you can get a Hot Start Relay (http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/electrical.html) (halfway down the page). The relay plugs into the loose empty stocket at the top of your relay compartment. Neither should be used as a permanent solution, but it will keep you from getting stranded someplace.

Fuel odor? Is it just when the tank is full? Many cars will have a fuel smell if you fill the tank all the way to the top, mine does, but it goes away after the fuel level goes down below the fuel pump boot seal. You can also verify that your fuel pump boot seal is properly clamped down, just pull the access panel from under your spare tire.

Ryan S.
01-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Wow this is great. Thanks!!!! I wish I had this last week. I was stranded at the gas station because car wouldn't restart. It took 4 hours to get the temperature down.

Yes, fuel tank is full but it smelled even when tank was near empty. I will check the boot seal.

vwdmc16
01-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Id be willing to give you a hand in sorting out your issues before the parade.

Ryan S.
01-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Thank you so much. I can actually host a BBQ party for all parade participants and other D owners perhaps in feb or march when weather gets better. You can help all of us get ready. I think it will be fun.

Rich
01-06-2013, 10:56 PM
....I was stranded at the gas station because car wouldn't restart. It took 4 hours to get the temperature down.

Yes, fuel tank is full but it smelled even when tank was near empty. I will check the boot seal.

For sure, check the boot seal to be sure that is not contributing to the fuel smell problem. There could be more than one problem to solve. My money is still on a fuel leak on pressure side between pump and engine.

Hot start problem: Look for fuel leaks between the pump and the engine. Also possibly a so-so pump or bad accumulator. But pumps and accumulators do not usually cause a fuel smell problem.
Fuel smell even when near empty: Could be vapor-only (loose boot, loose filler hose, cracked tank) or liquid (cracked tank, bad fitting/hose/connection/filter/accumulator).

Your mechanic can put a pressure gauge in the circuit and do a pressure bleed-down test. If it holds then the leak isn't between the pump and the engine.

jawn101
01-06-2013, 11:34 PM
This is great to see. It would be fun to have a pre-parade tech day and help you out with your new baby. I will be putting in the final application next week and will still be slotting for 10 cars. Only have 7 signed up so far but hope we will get those other three! What about you, Rich? :)

Ryan S.
01-06-2013, 11:52 PM
For sure, check the boot seal to be sure that is not contributing to the fuel smell problem. There could be more than one problem to solve. My money is still on a fuel leak on pressure side between pump and engine.

Hot start problem: Look for fuel leaks between the pump and the engine. Also possibly a so-so pump or bad accumulator. But pumps and accumulators do not usually cause a fuel smell problem.
Fuel smell even when near empty: Could be vapor-only (loose boot, loose filler hose, cracked tank) or liquid (cracked tank, bad fitting/hose/connection/filter/accumulator).

Your mechanic can put a pressure gauge in the circuit and do a pressure bleed-down test. If it holds then the leak isn't between the pump and the engine.

Thanks Rich. This is very helpful. I will have my mechanic check those.
Thanks again.
~ryan

sydlexia
01-11-2013, 01:29 AM
Hi there,

I may be available to attend. Will know better as the date gets closer.

I also sent a request to join the Norcal Delorean FB page. (if one of the moderators happens to read this)

~scott

jawn101
01-11-2013, 01:33 AM
Hi there,

I may be available to attend. Will know better as the date gets closer.

I also sent a request to join the Norcal Delorean FB page. (if one of the moderators happens to read this)

~scott

Awesome Scott. Looking forward to meeting you!

Just a reminder to all, I will be putting in the application on Monday. I'm up to 9 names on the list. Let me know ASAP if you think you might come!

elfking
01-14-2013, 06:32 PM
Hi Jon (& Everyone else too)

We were looking forward to this event, I had been apart of it years ago helping out but nothing recently. I just found out I will be stuck working all day that day and won't be able to get out of it, so unfortunately I can say pretty confidently please take me off the confirmed list. :angry:

Maybe we can all get together at some other point before or shortly after, I am sure it will be a great event!

Thanks,
-Brian

jawn101
01-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Hi Jon (& Everyone else too)

We were looking forward to this event, I had been apart of it years ago helping out but nothing recently. I just found out I will be stuck working all day that day and won't be able to get out of it, so unfortunately I can say pretty confidently please take me off the confirmed list. :angry:

Maybe we can all get together at some other point before or shortly after, I am sure it will be a great event!

Thanks,
-Brian

Aw, bummer. Was looking forward to seeing your progress! We should do a little local get together somewhere. As I said, I get out to Sonoma a pretty good amount... we were just in Glen Ellen two weekends ago and I bet we'll be back that way before too long.

jawn101
02-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Just an update everyone. Our application has been accepted and once the deadline passes and the application process closes, they will start bugging me for all the additional info from everyone.

Once I get it, I will be passing around the waiver form for everyone to sign. If your passenger is going to be under 13 I need to know as there is an additional form if a child is involved. I will also need copies of your license and registration/insurance for your D.

I told them we'd have 10 cars this year. I have 8 folks on the list so far, so there's room for 2 more. They won't have any heartache if we go over by a couple, either.

So far we have:
Jon (Vacaville)
Stephen (El Dorado)
Michael (Woodland)
Clint (Sacramento)
David (Lodi)
Dave (El Dorado)
Ryan (Sacramento)
Scott (Millbrae)

To the El Dorado crew - have you had any luck finding Charlie or Ken? I'd love to have them along too, provided Charlie is capable of going 5 MPH, lol.

DavidProehl
02-02-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm friends with Ken & Charlie on Facebook. I'll message them there with a link to this thread.

jawn101
02-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Great, thanks David

dmc3130
02-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Great, thanks David

Charlie will be at the VOD project on the 9th at my place :biggrin:

jawn101
02-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Charlie will be at the VOD project on the 9th at my place :biggrin:

Sweet! Now if someone can just get us on that Montgomery guy's schedule we'll be all set....lol

jawn101
02-25-2013, 12:51 AM
Ok, so everyone should have seen my emails by now about the deadline. I absolutely have to have all your paperwork by March 1 or I will have to submit our packet without it - and that means you can't drive with us!

We are down to 6, possibly 7 cars now. I have 4 people's docs in order already. If you haven't already gotten them to me, I need:
- Group waiver with the names and signatures of you and your passenger
- If your passenger is under 18, I also need the completed individual waiver for him/her
- Copies of your license, registration and proof of insurance for the D
- A simple yes/no as to whether you have a fire extinguisher in the car. All cars are required to carry one this year. Anyone who doesn't have one will have to sign one out in the staging area. And you should really have one anyway, so if you don't this is a good time to get one.

I need all this stuff ASAP! Good quality photos of the signed waivers and vehicle docs are fine, as long as they are clearly readable.

Still room for 2 or 3 more cars if anyone wants to join.

And can somebody get in touch with Charlie? He hasn't returned any of my emails, ever. :)

jawn101
03-02-2013, 01:49 PM
OK guys! I've got all the documents in order for 6 of us, with a 7th car promised to have everything in to me by Monday.

So this is the final call for cars! If you'll be free on April 20th and want to participate in a fun event, meet other local owners, and basically steal the show for a day, let me know. I'll be turning in our application early next week so that we're sure to get our spot.

Ryan S.
03-03-2013, 04:25 AM
Don't forget, Pre-Picnic Tech day at my place on Saturday, March 16. I'll supply BBQ ribs and cold beers. :cheers:
Dave will bring his famous torsion bar tool and Clint will make sure our cars are in top shape before the event.:wrenchin:

elfking
03-03-2013, 01:38 PM
How about people who can't make it to the Picnic day but would still be interested on stopping by and hanging out with everyone... I can bring some chips and dip. ??? :) I guess that's if I haven't torn mine apart completely yet...

Don't forget, Pre-Picnic Tech day at my place on Saturday, March 16. I'll supply BBQ ribs and cold beers. :cheers:
Dave will bring his famous torsion bar tool and Clint will make sure our cars are in top shape before the event.:wrenchin:

jawn101
03-03-2013, 02:56 PM
I'm not hosting so I can't extend the invite, but it would be great to have you along again Brian!

Ryan S.
03-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Of course. Any D owners are welcome. More the merrier. Just RSVP Jon or me so that I can make sure we have enough food and drinks for everyone.

elfking
03-04-2013, 01:25 PM
I'm not hosting so I can't extend the invite, but it would be great to have you along again Brian!

Of course. Any D owners are welcome. More the merrier. Just RSVP Jon or me so that I can make sure we have enough food and drinks for everyone.

Well then great please put me down! and let me know what I can bring, I was serious I can grab at least some chips / dip or plates or whatever can help out! Hopefully ill have my idle woes out of the way before hand!

Ryan S.
03-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Brian, You got it. Yeah, if you can bring some chips and dips, it would be super.
Jon, 10 am sounds good? Since drink and torsioning might be little risky, we can do the torsion bar clinic in the morning and do other things in the afternoon after some good BBQ and beers.

jawn101
03-05-2013, 12:09 AM
10am sounds fine, send something out to the other guys so they know :)

jawn101
03-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Alright guys! Our application has been confirmed and accepted. We will have 6 cars this year. I'll be sending out more details on where and when to meet over the next couple of weeks. Going to be a blast, and thanks go to everyone who participated.

Ryan S.
03-12-2013, 06:42 AM
Just as a reminder, this Saturday, Mar 16th is tech day/BBQ at my place. Will start at 10am. Any D owners are welcome. PM me for the direction to my place.

elfking
03-16-2013, 09:51 AM
See you all in a bit... Nothing
Like waking up at 6AM to change some tired intake seals before a nice drive!

Ryan S.
03-17-2013, 11:20 AM
We had a great time at our tech day/BBQ event. Everyone helped me fix my torsion bar roof and Clint's brakes. Got little tense when a bolt shoot out when we were adjusting a torsion bar in a wrong direction. At the end, no injury, no broken window, and my roof is almost straight. It's always nice to see so many Ds and compare notes with the other owners. Special thanks to David for brining in his famous torsion bar tool.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8112/8564516730_7f69969c55.jpg
Two Davids are holding the torsion bar tool intensely. Clint is carefully marking a drilling spot. And Jon is making sure everyone is doing their job.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8373/8563416907_e06899e88e.jpg

DavidProehl
03-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Had a wonderful time! Thanks so much for opening up your home to us!

elfking
03-19-2013, 08:06 PM
I had a great time, always good to see everyone and meet new people. Ryan thank you again for having us all over, food and company was fantastic. I only have a couple shots from the phone but better then nothing! Hope you guys have a great time at Picnic Day 2013!

-Brian

Dave4260
03-21-2013, 01:12 AM
Thanks for having us over to your house Ryan. Had a good time and I'm glad we were able to help out. Now I need to carve out some time in the next few weeks and put some work into my car. :) I'm excited to see that our Norcal group is growing a bit larger in the Sacramento area and looking forward to the Davis Picnic Day.
David S.

jawn101
03-22-2013, 12:08 AM
Thanks for having us over to your house Ryan. Had a good time and I'm glad we were able to help out. Now I need to carve out some time in the next few weeks and put some work into my car. :) I'm excited to see that our Norcal group is growing a bit larger in the Sacramento area and looking forward to the Davis Picnic Day.
David S.

Wow! Dave's back!! :)