PDA

View Full Version : Sem trim black

Delorean02378
12-12-2012, 08:31 AM
I had an extra engine cover that needed a respray. SEM TRIM BLACK made all the difference in the world. Here are some before and after pictures.

Kirk

Jimmyvonviggle
12-12-2012, 09:11 AM
That looks great! I've had success with Duplicolors trim paint as well. I have used it on the license plate bezel and also on the plastic on the rear lights (taping it up was a bit time consuming).

eagle-co94
12-12-2012, 10:10 AM
I've got a few cans of it in my garage. I started using SEM probably 8 years ago and moved over to Duplicolor because of price and am very happy with the Trim Paint in the green can.

ccurzio
12-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Somewhat on-topic, does anyone know of a reasonable way to hammer out the grills to make them flat again?

eagle-co94
12-12-2012, 10:39 AM
What I've done for small metal items is to sandwich it between two pieces of wood and use a hammer. I've also hammered directly on the metal with it resting on a flat piece of wood. I haven't had to bend my grilles (yet) but that's the way I'd use unless I did it by hand.

Kenny_Z
12-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Somewhat on-topic, does anyone know of a reasonable way to hammer out the grills to make them flat again?

Popsicle sticks are a good non-marring way to bend individual fins back into shape. The wood is strong enough to bend the metal and small enough to slip in between the fins. It just takes time.

topcop66
01-04-2013, 12:51 AM
Wondering if it would work as well for the louvers ??? Guessing SEM is a spray paint of some sort ? Available in auto stores ?

Mark D
01-04-2013, 01:03 AM
SEM paints are available at most auto parts stores. Here's a picture of the can which may be helpful.

Otherwise you can get it from a variety of sources online, just do a google search for SEM Trim Black.

sdg3205
01-04-2013, 01:29 AM
Wondering if it would work as well for the louvers ??? Guessing SEM is a spray paint of some sort ? Available in auto stores ?

The color would be perfect. It will take a few cans to do properly. I used it on my whole engine compartment, trunk and lower engine cover. Holds up well and looks great and fit the budget at the time.

Delorean02378
01-04-2013, 09:58 AM

You can also order SEM through Amazon, it's not cheap but it's a perfect match and it will hold up for many years if applied correctly. Go ahead and order a few more cans than you think you'll need because you can always use it on the other black parts. The paint works best if it's above 70 degrees. Make sure to keep the paint can vertical when spraying, don't put the part on the floor and spray downward as you'll end up with paint splotches and you'll have to sand them out and redo. It's best apply slowly with multiple layers, don't expect the part to look complete after the first layer. Let it dry then apply another, be patient. Trust me, I seem to learn everything the hard way :-)

Kirk

Patrick C
01-04-2013, 02:01 PM

Yes. I've always had incredible results with SEM Trim Black.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=15768&d=1357326065

mluder
01-04-2013, 02:37 PM
I have also used the SEM on my front windshield trim on the a-pillars and top. I understand others have used it to re-spray their side vents behind the door area and the rubstrips. You can also use it on pretty much all the trim pieces areounf the door's etc.

One word of caution... I found out the hard way that it is not fuel safe as I had repainted my entire engine bay as Dave did. A loose fuel line bajo bolt sprayed gas into the bay and quicly dispolved the pain so I had to re-spray portions.

Cheers
Steve

AugustneverEnds
01-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Glad to hear this works so well when done correctly. Just got the paint now I have to wait for the weather to warm up.

sdg3205
01-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Has anyone tried a clear coat over top of sem trim black?

DMC5180
01-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Has anyone tried a clear coat over top of sem trim black?

Kinda defeats the purpose don't ya think. :headscratch: I suppose if it's semi-gloss clear.

sdg3205
01-13-2013, 07:43 PM
It's purpose is whatever I'd like it to be. Sure it would be glossy, but I'm okay with that!

DMCMW Dave
01-13-2013, 08:34 PM
It's purpose is whatever I'd like it to be. Sure it would be glossy, but I'm okay with that!

It will probably "lift" the black.

sdg3205
01-13-2013, 08:51 PM
What does that mean, Dave? Bad?

DMCMW Dave
01-13-2013, 08:58 PM
What does that mean, Dave? Bad?

Good if you like wrinkle-finish.

If using non-same-type or brand paints one over, the other always test it on something other than what you are painting first.

sdg3205
01-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Good call. I've got a few test pieces I can use

dustybarn
01-13-2013, 09:40 PM
My louvers and engine cover were pretty faded until I wiped them down with a thin coating of peanut oil. They look great now. I imagine it won't last forever, but I guess I can just recoat them.

kings1527
01-13-2013, 10:25 PM
I just came across this thread. I've been using Trim Black on just about anything black, from louvers, engine cover, engine compartment, to the front storage under the hood, side vents and windshield trim. I've had nothing but great success with it but I also have been using Bulldog Adhesion Promoter before applying Trim Black. The results have been awesome! Highly recommended and +1 on ordering more than you need.

hollywood2311
01-25-2013, 03:19 PM
My louvers and engine cover were pretty faded until I wiped them down with a thin coating of peanut oil. They look great now. I imagine it won't last forever, but I guess I can just recoat them.

If you ever wonder why the license plate bezel is blacker than the louvers, it's because I shot the bezel with SEM Trim Black. It used to be just as gray and faded as the louvers, but I took some Trim Black and it worked wonders.

darylfelsberg
01-30-2013, 10:36 AM
How do you get the side vents just behind the door out....without breaking them?

Patrick C
01-30-2013, 11:36 AM
How do you get the side vents just behind the door out....without breaking them?

You can't. Mask off the stainless and surrounding areas and paint the vents while on the car.

DMCMW Dave
01-30-2013, 12:34 PM

Short answer - take the quarter panel off the car.

You'll still break the metal clip nuts and have to glue it back in place anyway. Paint them on the car is the right answer.

darylfelsberg
01-31-2013, 08:39 AM
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks.

topcop66
02-20-2013, 11:40 PM
roughly how many cans would be needed for the louvers and engine cover ??? How many coats would give the best results ??? Better to lay them flat and stand over them and spray or lean them up against something and go at it like that ???

sdg3205
02-21-2013, 02:45 AM
2 to 3 cans

Delorean02378
02-21-2013, 08:18 AM
roughly how many cans would be needed for the louvers and engine cover ??? How many coats would give the best results ??? Better to lay them flat and stand over them and spray or lean them up against something and go at it like that ???

If you're doing both the rear louver (Sunshade) and the engine cover, get at least 3 cans, depends if you're doing both sides. Don't lay them flat on the ground because you'll end up with splotches and have to sand it down and redo. Hang it up or put it up against something so you can keep the spray can upright. Take your time, don't expect the first coat to do the job. Make sure it's at least 70 degrees.

Kirk

Delorean02378
06-25-2013, 08:59 PM
If you ever order some SEM Trim Black, get it from Summit Racing. It's about $20.00 cheaper after shipping vs. Amazon.

Delorean02378
06-27-2013, 10:34 AM
If you ever order some SEM Trim Black, get it from Summit Racing. It's about $20.00 cheaper after shipping vs. Amazon.

Just a quick follow up to this, I placed an online order around 11:00 AM on Tuesday and it was at my house Wednesday when I got home. Paid for regular shipping which was about $10.00.

Dangermouse
06-27-2013, 11:39 AM
I got mine at a trim shop in Norcross GA, for any of the SEDOC guys. In stock, too.

kings1527
06-27-2013, 12:16 PM
I'm not sure if they're a national chain or not but I pick mine up from Finish Masters at about $12/can plus tax.

EdR5150
06-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Advance Auto Parts has it listed on their website, but not in stores. When I visited the store with part numbers, and asked if they could order it, all I got "we can't do that." Awesome.

In addition to SEM Trim, I wanted other SEM products like Color Coat, and their cleaning and prep products. Summit Racing was the only retailer I found that had every SEM product, and combined the order for one low shipping cost. Fast Shipping as well.

Dmc10398
10-16-2013, 06:26 PM
If you're doing both the rear louver (Sunshade) and the engine cover, get at least 3 cans, depends if you're doing both sides. Don't lay them flat on the ground because you'll end up with splotches and have to sand it down and redo. Hang it up or put it up against something so you can keep the spray can upright. Take your time, don't expect the first coat to do the job. Make sure it's at least 70 degrees.

Kirk

If I have to keep the spray can upright, how do I paint the truck/front storage area? I remember a number of years ago someone did a full write on this but I can't find it anywhere, can someone post a link? Thanks

Conundrum
10-16-2013, 10:26 PM
Good work! I eventually want to paint parts of my DeLorean with this paint. What's a good place to buy it? I haven't seen it around here.

Michael
10-16-2013, 11:07 PM
You can find it in most specialty automotive paint stores.

Dangermouse
10-16-2013, 11:41 PM
I got mine at an automotive and marine trimmer.

Their website has a store locator function

DMC5180
10-19-2013, 12:23 PM
Good work! I eventually want to paint parts of my DeLorean with this paint. What's a good place to buy it? I haven't seen it around here.

HI Matt,

I did a Dealer search on the SEM product Website for you. Your Closest Dealer Near Frostburg,MD is this place:

Key Way Auto PBE (29.5) Mi
366 East Main St., Sumerset PA 15501
814-445-6209
814-444-0880

I bought a couple cans of SEM trim Black from Local Paint supply house near me. IIRC it was about $12 a can. I don't know how that compares to Summit with S&H.

The biggest hassle to getting it local is that the Paint store is usually only Open during Normal business Days and Hours that you are working! Not usually open on a Saturday. Another Option for you would be to Stop by a local Auto body shop and ask them if one of their Paint suppliers carriers the SEM line. Usually the Paint supply shops do daily deliveries to the clients. Ask them to Order a couple cans for you.

kings1527
10-19-2013, 02:19 PM
If I have to keep the spray can upright, how do I paint the truck/front storage area? I remember a number of years ago someone did a full write on this but I can't find it anywhere, can someone post a link? Thanks

I completely reconditioned my engine compartment, front storage, and louvers using Trim Black and I've had great results with it. Everything is holding up extremely well, even after a year of washing it.

As far as holding the can upright, it's a pretty forgiving can. You don't need to be perfect with it. I did a write-up of my experience and I linked it below:

http://delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com/2013/01/reconditioning-engine-compartment-front.html

gulwng3
12-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Excellent write-up! I'll read the entire blog someday, but for now... at $18/can is the Bulldog Adhesion Promoter worth it?

Andy

kings1527
12-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Excellent write-up! I'll read the entire blog someday, but for now... at $18/can is the Bulldog Adhesion Promoter worth it?

Andy

Thanks! The can of Bulldog will go a pretty long way. One can could easily do the entire engine compartment and then some. I did two coats of adhesion promoter and then Trim Black. I really do believe you have to have some sort of primer on your material which is what it's doing.

gulwng3
12-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks! I found it at Sherman-Williams Auto - they can order it or sell me their version for $27/can :wink:. They said it is basically glue with a little acid that will etch the plastic and make the paint stick better. I just finished painting my exterior mirrors (without the adhesion promoter) so it will be a good side-by-side comparison when I paint my side vents this week (using the adhesion promoter).

Andy

Lou and "Boo"
01-07-2014, 05:21 AM
Be extremely careful when using Bulldog ( or any brand) adhesion promotor. I used it on my D and this stuff is noxious! I had to hold my breath and then breathe in cleared air. This stuff lingers in the air and is highly toxic. It has a distinct burn your throat smell. Don't breathe it in !
Works good, but nasty stuff !
Even has a warning on the label that it is not fr se by the federal public. I used it anyway, but even a respirator won't protect you from the harsh fumes. Believe me!

kings1527
01-07-2014, 05:46 AM
I never ran into any issues like that and I've used a ton of it. Of course, you want to use it in a ventilated area but it never caused any kind of irritation with me.

Kenny_Z
01-07-2014, 12:07 PM
I used it outside with a good respirator mask. It didn't give me any issues.

Side note, I used Rustoleum semi-gloss black (thinned with acetone to make it sprayable) on on my windshield trim and after a harsh Alabama summer, fall, and half a winter it hasn't faded, flaked, or failed. It looks the same as the day I sprayed it. In fact it has held up better than the SEM on my louvers.

Michael
01-07-2014, 12:47 PM
Some of you are really paying up for this stuff. A can of trim black costs $11.52 here...no shipping, kept in stock. I buy this at a small paint supply store in Blountville TN...its as small as it sounds. If a little paint store here has it, I'm sure its available locally pretty much anywhere if you just do a bit of legwork.

gulwng3
01-08-2014, 10:09 AM
$10.83 here at a local auto paint store. Sherman-Williams has it for $14.50. Lots of online retailers sell SEM trim black for $9.99, but then charge $5-10 for shipping so buying local is cheaper (and easier).

Andy

rdarlington
01-08-2014, 10:57 AM
I just called my local O'Riley autoparts store yesterday to get this. They don't stock it but can get it in for the next day. They just called saying I can come pickup my two cans for $13 and change (each).

-Bob

Timeless
03-20-2024, 08:32 AM
Painted my original faded 1/4 vents recently and used Wurth satin black trim paint. This was suggested over SEM by my the owner of the body shop I use. He advised it lasts longer and is more durable than SEM and lays down easier even when humidity is elevated - like here in S. FL. Alcohol wipe and spray - zero primer. They turned out great.