PDA

View Full Version : Lets put a diesel in a D

TheDon
12-14-2012, 10:20 PM
So I bought a twin cam Mercedes straight 6 because I could not pass it up...

I'm just curious if anyone would ever think this beast would fit in the engine compartment of a D

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/644115_10151092867356534_292845074_n.jpg

I need to measure it but I think its shorter than a Toyota 2JZ. Not that I have a D sitting around to cram this into, but I could just store it away until I do.
These engines can easily make 5-600 HP with injection pump mods and a bigger turbo.

I have a thing for diesels :rock_on::rock_on:

vwdmc16
12-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Om606, That motor weighs about 600lbs dressed ive read, but it could be an awesome swap.

Dangermouse
12-14-2012, 10:48 PM
What's a PRV? 450?

TheDon
12-14-2012, 11:10 PM
Om606, That motor weighs about 600lbs dressed ive read, but it could be an awesome swap.

Yeah around that wet. I pushed the thing from the back of the yard to the front on my own when I pulled it. I also pushed the massive a frame engine puller to the car on my own. I now know heavy!

I though it sod be cool to dream up the swap. But in reality it's going in my sedan.

Rich W
12-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Yeah around that wet. I pushed the thing from the back of the yard to the front on my own when I pulled it. I also pushed the massive a frame engine puller to the car on my own. I now know heavy!

I though it sod be cool to dream up the swap. But in reality it's going in my sedan.

I played with the idea of installing a VW TDI engine about
a decade ago (check the old posts on DMCNEWS DML),
but I did not want to get further distracted from other
projects like the D Limo. Now with the D Limo finally
looking like a vehicle, it may be time to revisit a diesel
conversion sometime in the near future.

Later,
Rich W.

Manxmann
12-16-2012, 08:48 AM
My daily has the all alloy v6 merc diesel that replaced these, awesome engine. Would love to see that lump in a car, just a shame about the inevitable diesel rattle, sort of spoils the effect.

Sent from my Zenithink C97

john 05141
12-17-2012, 03:20 AM
the majority of the cars in Belgium are Diesel cars. My 2L 4cyl. diesel is faster than the Delorean and they do not sound like Diesels anymore. But a Diesel in a Delorean? That would be the only thing worse you can do to a Delorean than a BTTF conversion. I wonder how that would sound wich such a short exhaust pipe.

Jan

Andy
12-17-2012, 11:24 AM
the majority of the cars in Belgium are Diesel cars. My 2L 4cyl. diesel is faster than the Delorean and they do not sound like Diesels anymore. But a Diesel in a Delorean? That would be the only thing worse you can do to a Delorean than a BTTF conversion. I wonder how that would sound wich such a short exhaust pipe.

Jan

Oh, I don't know ... Audi is racing at Le Mans with dieselengines, so they can't be that bad! Although it wouldn't be a conversion I would ever do to my car ...

lazabby
12-18-2012, 03:40 PM
I played with the idea of installing a VW TDI engine about
a decade ago (check the old posts on DMCNEWS DML),
but I did not want to get further distracted from other
projects like the D Limo. Now with the D Limo finally
looking like a vehicle, it may be time to revisit a diesel
conversion sometime in the near future.

Later,
Rich W.

I've read that the diesel TDi engines are very good. I'd be interested to see how well one does in a Delorean.

Rich W
12-18-2012, 05:02 PM
I've read that the diesel TDi engines are very good. I'd be interested to see how well one does in a Delorean.

Back in the day, I had an opportunity to acquire a 1.9L Turbo Diesel (formerly installed in a Canadian 1996 VW Jetta), with the AAZ engine code
which was never offered in the US. IIRC, the turbo diesel engine was rated at 115hp with the current injection pump that had been installed.

If the conversion went as planned, the calculations indicated that 60mpg highway was a realistic goal, with performance similar to a stock DMC.

Again, this went much further than the early planning stages, but the calculated results looked promising...especially the mileage estimates.

Later,
Rich W.

TheDon
12-18-2012, 08:38 PM
My daily has the all alloy v6 merc diesel that replaced these, awesome engine. Would love to see that lump in a car, just a shame about the inevitable diesel rattle, sort of spoils the effect.

Sent from my Zenithink C97

I disagree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICqeREP8Je4

But I have a thing for my cars sounding like a school bus

Exolis
12-19-2012, 12:26 PM
That's pretty neat. How is the Fuel Mileage on that particular Model of Benz with that Engine? I know the 2L Diesels and smaller get insanely good fuel economy so it would be interesting to see what that Straight 6 gets. Also, I would look into what the rated values are for the transmission are. Being a Straight 6 and Diesel, that thing is going to probably have a good bit of torque to it. Iirc, the transaxle was made by Renault... I don't have easy access to look at mine at the moment, but if someone has any kind of part number from the Transmission; if so desired, I can try doing some kind of search at work since Nissan is in an "Alliance" with Renault so it maybe possible to find someone that has some archived information.

Also the exhaust will be a challenge, defiantly keep us updated on Progress of this. Seems like a very interesting project.

thirdmanj
12-19-2012, 12:58 PM
[QUOTE=TheDon;84807

But I have a thing for my cars sounding like a school bus[/QUOTE]

"School Bus"?

DCUK Martin
12-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Renault 21's used a UN variant transmission and were available in a 2.1 turbo D 4-pot IIRC.

Not as good as the German or PSA diesels though.

Dangermouse
12-19-2012, 02:05 PM
"School Bus"?

Kids in the UK get to school real quick :)

IMHO, the location of the D's engine, just behind your ears, as well as lack of any noise insulation would make the diesel sound more noticeable than a front engined car.

Mike C.
12-19-2012, 02:52 PM
I've become interested in diesel technology, so if a dead D could be sporting a diesel, i think it'd be a pretty cool project to see.

SamHill
12-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Though there have been D's that have gone 200K + miles, they are extremely rare and I shudder to think about the wheel barrow of money and attention to maintenance needed to accomplish the feat. I was interested just as a way to get D's to more routinely do that kind of duty. http://www.motherearthnews.com/ask-our-experts/diesel-engines-zb0z1204zmat.aspx

TheDon
12-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Fuel mileage on this engine with the electronically controlled IP is around high 30's low 40's.

I'm hoping to get another D when I graduate. Maybe it will have a dead engine.

Stock power output is 175 and 243 ft lbs. a modified mechanically controlled pump can put out anywhere from 250-600 hp and probably close to 7-800 ft lbs Just depends on the turbo size at that point.

Plus that's on all stock internals. I believe these engines can safely handle 25-30 psi on a regular basis but 20 lbs of boost would suffice. Add in some propane and it gets crazy.

Btw, I seem to have awesome luc at buying engines at stupid low prices. Bought it for $323. Sold the pump for $200. So I'm at $123 for a $2k engine. Winning!

john 05141
12-21-2012, 05:53 AM
Bluemotion technology...

Governent has haised taxes on cars.
Tax on my company diesel car went from a monthly 190€ to 345€, :swear1:

So I might have to downgrade a couple of steps on the next car going to a 1.6L diesel. The delorean now might become faster again!!!!
But this will save me a lot of money.

immagine a 1.6L diesel in a Delorean. I'm sure it will fit, just hope you do not have any hills to climb. Won't that "bluemotion" logo look cool on the rear bumber???

Jan

Elvis
12-21-2012, 06:33 PM
you call that cool ????

If you can't afford a classic car - don't buy it ! Don't spoil it with Diesel !

Bluemotion is from Volkswagen - but a Delorean is no folkswagon ! And that's one
of the reasons why I bought my baby.

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

TheDon
12-21-2012, 07:27 PM
I'm not like the cookie cutter Delorean owner. If I want to shove a straight 6 diesel in my car or any engine for that matter. I shall.

Nicholas R
12-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Only an idiot would put a non-original engine in a DeLorean.

TheDon
12-28-2012, 11:33 PM
You're in the wrong sub forum. Plus it's people like you that have turned me off from the delorean community. I'm on the fence about buying another delorean and people like you in the community are no help. Go piss and moan on the dml about lame oem standards and whine that everyone should have the same car down o the last nut and bolt. Better make sure all of your pozi drive screws are lined up correctly or that's minus 5 points!!!don't even come to the show if you not have Irish air in your spare tire and NCT's.

thirdmanj
12-28-2012, 11:39 PM
You're in the wrong sub forum. Plus it's people like you that have turned me off from the delorean community. I'm on the fence about buying another delorean and people like you in the community are no help. Go piss and moan on the dml about lame oem standards and whine that everyone should have the same car down o the last nut and bolt. Better make sure all of your pozi drive screws are lined up correctly or that's minus 5 points!!!don't even come to the show if you not have Irish air in your spare tire and NCT's.

Aaah, Don, he was being ironic. He put an LS1 in his. Its right there under his avatar. Were you not aware of this?

opethmike
12-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Aaah, Don, he was being ironic. He put an LS1 in his. Its right there under his avatar. Were you not aware of this?

I'm guessing he was replying to Elvis.

thirdmanj
12-29-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm guessing he was replying to Elvis.

Ahhh. Yeah I could see that. Looked like he was talking to Nick.

TheDon
12-30-2012, 08:11 AM

I'm using tapatalk. I see none of this. Sorry.

eagle-co94
12-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Joe, I thought that engine was heading somewhere already? I just got a closer look at my D and saw that the motor looks like it's a boat anchor. I'll be bringing it and the parts car home next month hopefully. I think I'll wait until my MIL's visit is over though. I will be considering engine options. An LS motor isn't out of the question either...but a diesel that can consume WVO, old motor oil and trans fluid would be something I'd consider.

Nicholas R
01-02-2013, 01:55 AM
I'm using tapatalk. I see none of this. Sorry.

No problem! haha, sorry for the miscommunication. For the record, I'm a huge of people personalizing and customizing their DeLorean's; engine swaps especially included. :biggrin:

...except for will.i.am's "creation" of course...

john 05141
01-03-2013, 02:49 AM
For the record, I HATE the bluemotion thing. I am not sure this is from Volkswagen only, I see this on more cars. (or the "Blue" term anyway) There is no way on earth I would put a Diesel in my Delorean, and even if it had to be I'd never put a Bluemotion logo on it of course.

It is terrible how the environmentalists and government misuses the eco things to raise taxes. And because of this, I love a drive is my V6 Delorean. But Diesel has another inmage in the US than it does in Europe.

Jan

Exolis
01-03-2013, 12:38 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlueMotion

it also makes the smell of the exhaust pretty much non existent as well.

The idea of a Diesel in a DeLorean is exciting and I have considered it very much as well before. The PRV-6 is nice and I understand a lot of owners want the originality to it, but 138 HP Stock is sad. The Stage # upgrades don't seem to bring performance that much either. And when there are engines like the VQ35DE, a 3.5L V-6 found in many Nissans with 260 HP with nothing special to it.

h22wut
01-03-2013, 12:48 PM
gotta be honest, the gas mileage and the satisfaction of being able to roll coal on people at stop lights(shortly before blowing some doors off) sounds like a pretty decent arguement for a diesel powered delorean.

TheDon
01-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Joe, I thought that engine was heading somewhere already? I just got a closer look at my D and saw that the motor looks like it's a boat anchor. I'll be bringing it and the parts car home next month hopefully. I think I'll wait until my MIL's visit is over though. I will be considering engine options. An LS motor isn't out of the question either...but a diesel that can consume WVO, old motor oil and trans fluid would be something I'd consider.

Nah it's staying. I'm going for a pretty awesome turbo diesel engine, I'll stick to burning D2. A few months ago there was an om602. 5 cylinder in the yard. Wish I had pulled it, perfect size for a delorean.

vwdmc16
01-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Om602s weigh like 600lbs!

TheDon
01-07-2013, 11:46 PM
Om602s weigh like 600lbs!

Nah. My 606 weighs about 550 fully dressed. The 602 has to be at least 450