PDA

View Full Version : My new sunshade support

Fluxat88MPH
05-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Got a DMCC sunshade support last yr and finally installed it reciently. I had to do lots of modification to get it to fit propery. I was really suprised I had to do so much grinding to get it to line up right with the sunshade. I had an old sunshade support so I already had existing holes in the sunshade and of course they didn't line up at all with the new sunshades holes. So I had to drill new holes in the new sunshade and buy SS hardware for it. Another problem I ran into was that the existing struts were not long enough to allow the engine latch to lock into the D in the DMC cut out in the bracket. They needed to be atleast an inch longer. The only vendor that sold struts for the sunshade that were longer was Toby Petterson. Once I got those in everything came together and worked out great. I needed this set up due to having the SS engine vents that make the engine cover much more heaver, and put stress on the original support.

fnzen
05-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Interesting about longer struts, I never replaced mine and installed the DMC brace and it fit hmmm,

DMCMW Dave
05-24-2011, 07:53 PM
I've done a few - some needed some modification to fit and most didn't. There may be some variation in sunshades.

Dave S
DMC Midwest

Chris 16409
05-25-2011, 02:13 AM
My car came with the louver support and I was never able to utilize it to prop up my engine compartment cover. Then when I bought a set of Toby's gas struts, the support bracket worked. I love how high it props up the engine compartment cover. I've since removed the original prop as never much cared for it.

Dracula
05-25-2011, 05:19 AM
Interesting. I'm going to have the support installed on my car as well and I'm going to have to take note of it when I get home.

Domi
05-25-2011, 06:45 AM
I thought that support was plug&play.
Anyway, your engine compartment looks really nice also!

Fluxat88MPH
05-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Interesting. I'm going to have the support installed on my car as well and I'm going to have to take note of it when I get home.

When do you get back home Chad? Take pics and keep me posted on how yours worked out. Like Dave said it must be a variation of sunshades or something. I would have never thought that would have been the case. Regardless its a great improvement in looks, functionality, and support.

Fluxat88MPH
05-25-2011, 07:42 PM
I thought that support was plug&play.
Anyway, your engine compartment looks really nice also!

Thanks, there are better pics on my cardomain site, link just below.

Dracula
05-26-2011, 03:35 AM
When do you get back home Chad? Take pics and keep me posted on how yours worked out. Like Dave said it must be a variation of sunshades or something. I would have never thought that would have been the case. Regardless its a great improvement in looks, functionality, and support.

Dave will be installing it for me prior to my return. I don't care for the fact that it thickens the center of the louvers, but since I couldn't get an early-style set of thin-rib louvers anyway, it becomes a moot point.

The Aviator
05-27-2011, 10:56 PM
ah man, thats sick! looks sharp!

danny

SIMid
05-31-2011, 10:15 PM
Looks really good!

But the finish in the engine is just plain awesome!! :aniclap:

fnzen
06-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Sean,

Your engine bay is fantastic!

Did you make the throttle cover plate? If so do you still have a pattern?

Are the radiator lines from "killer glass"? ( I know Tim the owner from my Harley forum)

One day my engine bay wants to light up to be like yours!

Chris 16409
06-01-2011, 04:43 PM
The DeLorean Car Show web store sells throttle covers like that. I'm not sure of that's where Sean got his.

http://www.robomerchant.net/deloreancarshow/catalog/product_307_DeLorean_Aftermarket_SS_Throttle_Cover _cat_72.html

fnzen
06-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks Chris! I didnt see that before.

Fluxat88MPH
06-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks guys, Chris that is the web site to get those throttle shields. Fnzen, sent you a PM.

outatym2001
06-02-2011, 02:31 AM
I mentioned this (on the old DMC Talk forum) when I attached the Sunshade Support on the Louvers of my July 1981 D it is required to have gas charged Lift Pistons of at least 18-1/8” (46 cm) from center of ball joint to center of ball joint.
If you install Lift Pistons that are too short your Louvers will not raise high enough and you will not be able to hook the engine cover onto the Sunshade Support.
I removed my Louvers and laid them upside down on carpet to drill the nine holes to attach the Support.

I got the Lift Pistons from Toby Peterson’s other business.
http://www.delorean-parts.com/

And the Sunshade Support from
http://www.deloreanmotorcenter.com/