PDA

View Full Version : General Pls hlp. just bought a delorean look for some answers

tomcatf14g
12-31-2012, 04:21 AM
Hello all. new member and this is my first post. I just bought my first delorean. never thought i would own one in my lifetime and have to say i have already fallen in love. The price was a steal and other than some minor issues ive been able to get it running and driving again. REcently while searching for parts i located DMC Northwest here in the state i live in and was able to find all i need to get it fixed and discovered it has already had mods done to it. Im a more than proficinet tech but have never before attempted to work on or upgrade one of these beautys. Im looking for advice on how to get some better perfomance and handling out of this gem with out compromising the intgruity of the car. the mods ive learned it has already is a stage 2 engine conversion. upgraded larger fuel injectors after market ignition system a turbo and some other small things. DMC northwest said my turbo was installed properly but recomended i go back to natrual asperation or go with a stage 3 conversion and add a supercharger. since im new to owing one of these i would really value opions of those who have either done this or something better or can offer me better ideas. I do know the company that made my turbo no longer exist and if it does fail im kinda screwed so i would like to put something in tht i can still get parts for or replace. any advice would be welcomed and please forgive my lack of knowledge as i am still learning about the DMC-12. Thanks

ccurzio
12-31-2012, 08:09 AM
DMCNW has some great people there, so my first piece of advice would be to listen to everything that Toby and Misty suggest. They're nice and they know their stuff.

Next, a really simple mod to dramatically improve the handling of your car would be to call Dave and Julee at DMC Midwest and order the shock tower brace. It's a steel bar that mounts in the trunk directly to the tops of the shock towers. It really tightens up the front end and improves cornering and braking.

http://i.imgur.com/mx2zb.jpg

Another suggestion from a performance standpoint would be to see what kind of exhaust you've got on your car. If it's stock, a Spec I system from DeLorean Performance International might be worth looking at. I just ordered one for my car.

DMCMW Dave
12-31-2012, 09:41 AM
the mods ive learned it has already is a stage 2 engine conversion. upgraded larger fuel injectors after market ignition system a turbo and some other small things.

You might want to ask about that again. I don't know of a way to install a Stage 2 (headers) and a turbo (no headers) at the same time. STage 2 head work/cams would be kind of a waste with a turbo. It probably has one or the other. I've also never heard of anyone installing "larger injectors" on this car. While common on EFI cars I'm not sure K-Jet would necessarily benefit from this.

Pictures might help.

Ron
01-01-2013, 10:21 AM
DMC northwest said my turbo was installed properly but recomended i go back to natrual asperation or go with a stage 3 conversion and add a supercharger. ... I do know the company that made my turbo no longer exist and if it does fail im kinda screwed so i would like to put something in tht i can still get parts for or replace. any advice would be welcomed and please forgive my lack of knowledge as i am still learning about the DMC-12. ThanksThis part sounds odd to me if it is working properly since you can wait on it to give you problems just as well as whatever you replace it with.... Honestly, it sounds like you might want to hold out for the engine DPI is working on if you are concerned with reliability and/or performance rather than cost, BUT I'd be interested in the turbo if and when you remove it...

Delorean Industries
01-01-2013, 12:23 PM
If they are not good for turbo applications then it would stand to reason the same for supercharging..... A power adder is a power adder.....

Rich
01-01-2013, 01:35 PM
......looking for advice on how to get some better performance and handling out of this gem....

Welcome to ownership!

You already have one handling mod suggestion re the shock tower brace.

Here are more:
- Upgrade the springs and shocks: check with one or more of our vendors. Mandatory with that would be a 4-wheel alignment; option would include replacement/upgrade front suspension bushings.
- Replace the tires if they are old/hard/worn/mismatched. Perhaps as much for safety as for handling.

Recommending that new owners look after safety items as part of their pre- or post-shopping experience. The car is 30yrs old - you don't know where it's been. Here are a few to start with.

- Trailing arm bolts (TABs) - check for bent/cracked bolts, replace (this matches up well with an alignment exercise)
- Ball joints and tie rod ends - check, replace as needed
- Flush and refresh brake fluid - consider new brake hoses

Have fun with your "new" car!!

tomcatf14g
01-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the advice so far. To answer some of the questions I was asked about it the stage ii conversion was done on the engine the piping was not added for it though because of the piping for the turbo. It does have larger injectors and the compression ratio was lowered when the turbo was installed. The recommendation to remove it was made to prolong engine life. As it was explained to me the turbos originaly made for it did have issues with the engine. Dmc nw said they offer a supercharger for it that is built specificly for the dmc and recommend I go with it for better and more reliable performance. The car has only 27000 miles on it and other than a bad altenator was in fairly good shape. I have some craking issues with the dashpad and the leather seats but nothing serious as of yet. I've been doing reading in it and have seen people suggestiong adjustable front suspension to lower the front end by 2 inches to increase handling and better traction but not sure yet if thts how I want to go. It does need some maintenance as some of the bushings and rubber hoses are needing replaced but for the most part its solid. I want to get better acceleration and handling but not looking to go racing. So that's kinda where I'm at for now but things can always change lol.

m81dmc
01-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Can you post an overall picture of the engine (to see the turbo installation)?