PDA

View Full Version : Windshield replacement

jeff
06-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Since all was lost, lets start a windshield replacement thread.

Please add or correct me if I'm wrong. I have not done this yet so I'm speaking from research, not first hand knowledge. I will NOT be doing this myself but having my windshield guy do it for me.

To remove the vertical windshield trim. Peel back the rubber and to gain access to the screws. Remove screws and the side trim is now easily removed. 3M weatherstrip adhesive will be needed to properly reattach the rubber on the A pillar.

It is possible to remove the top "wider" trim piece without removing the T panel. There is also some rubber the need to be peeled back in order to access the overhead screws. One then needs to slide back the molding, away from the metal flange holding it in place, then lift up. It should pop out.

Never glue the mirror to your new windshield...use double sided tape!!!

Probably a good time to scuff and paint your black trim with SEM.

Once again please correct me or elaborate on anything that I've said. My new windshield will be installed tomorrow.

Delorean Industries
06-28-2011, 05:08 PM
The roof box must be supported with a jig so that the door alignment is not disturbed. Do not cut the glass out without first supporting the roof box and making sure the doors work properly. Once the glass is removed jack it up slightly higher and install the new glass as the structure will sag slightly when the jig is removed with new glass installed.

Morpheus
06-28-2011, 07:26 PM
...and where does one find such a jig?

jeff
06-28-2011, 07:46 PM
The roof box must be supported with a jig so that the door alignment is not disturbed. Do not cut the glass out without first supporting the roof box and making sure the doors work properly. Once the glass is removed jack it up slightly higher and install the new glass as the structure will sag slightly when the jig is removed with new glass installed.

Really?

-By jig do you mean adjuatable pole?
-"roof box" is the area of the t panel...bottom of the T?

So you are saying that you have to support the middle of the roof with a jig (pole) when taking out the windshield. Then when the glass is out "jack up" said jig, essentially applying pressure to the middle of the roof. Install the windshield then release the pressure onto your newly installed windshield.

Really?

Not to sound like a smart ass but I've never, ever heard of this procedure you mention.

content22207
06-28-2011, 10:33 PM
When my windshield was replaced earlier this year the glass shop simply left the doors closed to hold the roof in place. Worked like a charm.

Bill Robertson

jmrydholm
06-30-2011, 11:58 AM
What adhesive would be used to glue the rear windshield in place? Mine was partially pulled off the base of my car's underbody during my stupid tow truck fiasco. It's not enough to leak badly (yet) but it does let moisture in. I'm probably going to take it to the nearest body shop once I get my fiancee's Toyota repair out of the way.

Nicholas R
06-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Really?

-By jig do you mean adjuatable pole?
-"roof box" is the area of the t panel...bottom of the T?

So you are saying that you have to support the middle of the roof with a jig (pole) when taking out the windshield. Then when the glass is out "jack up" said jig, essentially applying pressure to the middle of the roof. Install the windshield then release the pressure onto your newly installed windshield.

Really?

Not to sound like a smart ass but I've never, ever heard of this procedure you mention.

Actually Josh is very correct. A year or 2 ago, DMCH put out a bulliten outlining the entire procedure because people were having trouble doing their own windshield replacements. They showed pictures of the jig and all the information as to why it is important. The windshield does help support the roof and does take load, this is how the car was designed.

Anyone else remember this?

content22207
06-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Dave Swingle recommended the doors closed method to me. He reports that is how they do them in his shop.

Bill Robertson

jeff
06-30-2011, 02:55 PM
What adhesive would be used to glue the rear windshield in place? Mine was partially pulled off the base of my car's underbody during my stupid tow truck fiasco. It's not enough to leak badly (yet) but it does let moisture in. I'm probably going to take it to the nearest body shop once I get my fiancee's Toyota repair out of the way.

The same stuff as the front....urethane.

Actually Josh is very correct. A year or 2 ago, DMCH put out a bulliten outlining the entire procedure because people were having trouble doing their own windshield replacements. They showed pictures of the jig and all the information as to why it is important. The windshield does help support the roof and does take load, this is how the car was designed.

Anyone else remember this?

I stand corrected. Although I'm going with the doors closed method.

content22207
06-30-2011, 03:35 PM
If anyone ever wants to resurrect archives from the old site, there is a windshield thread I started after coming home last Christmas to find a tree limb through mine. Both Dave Swingle and Toby Peterson contributed to that thread, with identical advice.

Safelite ultimately did my replacement (at the time of that thread they were not willing to touch the car), and they did a fine job, following Dave's and Toby's recommendations.

Cameron reported that I got one of the last NOS windshields -- have newly imported windshields finally started to show up in their inventory?

Bill Robertson

Delorean Industries
06-30-2011, 04:15 PM
There is a reason why the jig exists to begin with. I think you lucked out Bill. The glass is structural to the car. Funny as well because I learned my method or the suggestion of having to support it years ago from the same source.

All I know is that for the best results you must support it. Just my professional opinion after replacing a good number of windscreens.

content22207
06-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Dave and Toby both operate DMC franchise service centers....

Bill Robertson

dhaney
06-30-2011, 11:45 PM
Dave and Toby both operate DMC franchise service centers....

Bill Robertson

He's saying that it was a DMC franchise service center that taught him the method he is recomending.

Dan

content22207
06-30-2011, 11:58 PM
Who does "he" refer to -- Josh or myself?

Two different DMC franchise service centers taught me the method I am recommending.

Bill Robertson

Doogie
07-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Sooo...are there any windshields available anymore?

dhaney
07-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Who does "he" refer to -- Josh or myself?

Two different DMC franchise service centers taught me the method I am recommending.

Bill Robertson

Josh... He learned much of the techniques he uses in his shop from a DMC facility, while in the shop. I'll let him or them tell you who, but it was one of the individuals you mentioned.

I forgot how much enjoyment you get out of arguing for argument sake.

Dan

content22207
07-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Operators of two different DMC service centers advised me to replace my windshield with the doors closed to support the roof. Anyone who claims that such a method will not work not only disagrees with those operators, but also closes his or her eyes to successful results evidenced on my own car. *THAT* is arguing for arguing's sake....

Bill Robertson

dhaney
07-01-2011, 12:26 AM
Operators of two different DMC service centers advised me to replace my windshield with the doors closed to support the roof. Anyone who claims that such a method will not work not only disagrees with those operators, but also closes his or her eyes to successful results evidenced on my own car. *THAT* is arguing for arguing's sake....

Bill Robertson

Nobody is denying that (there you go arguing with yourself again)! What I was trying to say is that a specific vendor, one who told you to leave the doors closed, had him actually replace a windshield with the center of the roof supported.

I am sure you've had experts tell you one thing and then something entirely different later on, I know I have. It's no big deal, better methods are found or opinions change. Often for the better.

It also doesn't take anything away from your results. I am happy you got good results with your windshield replacement. One day when I can get a decent windshield to replace my badly pitted one, I'll use the closed door method.

Dan