PDA

View Full Version : Wanted What questions do I ask a Delorean seller?

steve852
06-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Hi everyone, it's my first time here so nice to meet you all :). I'm looking to purchase a D and I've been doing some research. I'm from the UK but I think it's gonna be best to shop around from the states. There's a much wider selection over there and they seem to be in better quality. I can't really afford to go over there to view any car before I buy, so it's really gonna be a case of asking as many questions as possible, and asking for as many photos as necessary to decide whether the car I choose is the right one before I sign on the dotted line!

I'm a little out of my depth here on a techical level, so I'd like your opinion - what should I be asking potential sellers? I know I need to ask for photos of the chassis from different angles to check for rust and the condition, and also photos of the engine, but what else? I'd like to get together a list of questions and, if it's okay, post the answers here for you smart fellas to look at!

Cheers again, much appreciated,
Steve

Renee_1632
06-28-2011, 07:04 PM
One good place to start is a rough history of the car, and what work was done, especially if you're going to be a third owner, fourth, etc. You'll want to know if, say, first owner kept it in a shed for 2/3 of its life. Even if the second owner did extensive work, it's still possible there's something that was missed. But definitely get a list of all work done, and when.

I guess that's kind of obvious. But I forgot to ask, and wish I had.

Roman Legion
06-28-2011, 09:26 PM
I just hope when I get back from deployment and find a D, that someone knowledgeable in that local area will be nice enough to tag alone with me and give the car a check and generally keep me from being suckered into a shit deal.

Dangermouse
06-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Hi from me again.

Ask plenty of questions here, read up about the car here and Eurotec. The more you know, the better you can evaluate a car.

Look at the ones listed on here from forum owners or those known to forum members. Or post one you are interested in, and someone on here may be nearby and could go see it for you.

Canon20DFan
06-29-2011, 10:41 AM
When buying a Delorean from a previous owner, ask:

1) Did you fix anything yourself?
2) Why are you lying to me?
3) GOTO question #1

Delorean02378
07-13-2011, 05:10 PM
What is the full vin#?
How long have you owned the car?
Do you have a clear title and is the title in your name?
Do you have any receipts or service history?
Is the car currently running?
If not, when did the car last run and when was it registered last?
Do you have the spare tire and tool kit?
Does the odometer reflect the correct mileage?
Is the odometer currently working?
Has the car been in an accident?
Are you aware of any current problems with the car?
Do you have any extra parts that will come with car?
What type of hood does the car have? (Gas Flap, Grooved, Flat)
Is there an X noticeable on the hood? The pictures may not show it well.
Lastly get as many pictures as you can!

Kirk

SamHill
07-13-2011, 08:43 PM
"Where's the strangest place you've ever made Whoopie?"

rddmc
07-15-2011, 05:57 PM
If I were buying a DeLorean or advising someone interested in buying one, I would do everything possible to make sure that the frame is rust free. To me, the underside of the car is the place to look first. If possible, I would also take a look under the T-panel to see if rust is an issue there. If I had doubts about either of those two areas, I would pass on the car.

Rod