PDA

View Full Version : JVC GR-C1 - The "Martycam"

jmrydholm
06-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Hi everybody,

Well I don't have a flux capacitor, but I did pick up a nice JVC compact VHS camcorder, just like the one used in the movie off ebay.

http://m0.ttxm.co.uk/images/galleries/technology/historyofthecamcorder/large/jvcgrc1.jpg

The trouble is, both battery packs it came with are dead, and I only have the DC to Cigarette Lighter adapter. This is great if I want to stand outside with the DeLorean running, with the tape plugged into my armrest, but I can't take it anywhere. I'm sure aftermarket batteries are available, as I see them all over amazon and ebay. But I can't find the wall outlet plug or charger for anything. Any ideas on where else to look besides ebay? It was hard enough to find the camera. I've seen only one other listing recently for a complete set. Too bad I didn't wait for that. Ah well, hindsight etc. etc.

Also interesting to note, the camcorder has a video out port, but I think this was originally meant for an old RF converter. Any way I might create a homemade S-Video or even composite cable for that? Anything is better than crappy RF. It looks like a 8-pin circular port, similar to a very small Midi cable. Must have been unique to JVC cameras.

Cool to have regardless! I can post some photos of the details too.

-John

Edit: That Midi cable analogy was a bad comparison, but I needed something to go on. I apologize for the crudity of this analogy, but I didn't have time to think it to scale or accuracy...to paraphrase Doc. ;)

dvonk
06-28-2011, 11:58 PM
are the dead batteries NiCad or lead acid?

jmrydholm
06-29-2011, 12:18 AM
These are labelled as OEM JVC "NB-P6U" which they probably don't make anymore. 9.6 volts, 700 mAh. The DC jack is labelled 9.6 volts, negative polarity as well. I'm guessing Ni-MH?

nullset
06-29-2011, 12:20 AM
Can you post a picture of those connectors?

That coax could be analog video, unmodulated. A good number of video equipment used coax / BNC connectors to send analog video.

--buddy

jmrydholm
06-29-2011, 12:24 AM
The video and wall outlet connectors under the battery slot

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o293/ebondefender/JVC%20GR-CU/Snapshot_20110628_2.jpg

Some kind of "remote" and headphone jack (mono?)

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o293/ebondefender/JVC%20GR-CU/Snapshot_20110628_3.jpg

Main controls
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o293/ebondefender/JVC%20GR-CU/Snapshot_20110628_4.jpg

I can post more later, gotta get to bed- work in the A.M.

jmrydholm
06-29-2011, 12:42 AM
Ok, one more note- lol I need to stop playing with this tonight. I was able to get the camera to power up on a universal, Radio-Shack type AC adapter with an adjustable voltage selector. 9 Volts even just kept powering down, so that wasn't enough. 12 volts kept it on, but I didn't want to damage any of the camera by overvolting it, so I just tested it for a minute or so. Unfortunately there's no "10" on the selector, otherwise I'd have tried that.

It's a "IMA" AC adapter listed at 60hz, 7 watts input. 300 mA. The output can be 1.5-12V, positive or negative polarity. I don't think I broke anything as I ran it off a surge protector for about 60 seconds.

nullset
06-29-2011, 12:49 AM
Ok, one more note- lol I need to stop playing with this tonight. I was able to get the camera to power up on a universal, Radio-Shack type AC adapter with an adjustable voltage selector. 9 Volts even just kept powering down, so that wasn't enough. 12 volts kept it on, but I didn't want to damage any of the camera by overvolting it, so I just tested it for a minute or so. Unfortunately there's no "10" on the selector, otherwise I'd have tried that.

It's a "IMA" AC adapter listed at 60hz, 7 watts input. 300 mA. The output can be 1.5-12V, positive or negative polarity. I don't think I broke anything as I ran it off a surge protector for about 60 seconds.

You can connect 12V to the cigarette lighter adapter!

You can probably find a female cigarette adapter and cut it apart, or just (temporary) short the + to the tip and - to the outside of the cigarette lighter adapter.

--buddy

dvonk
06-29-2011, 12:57 AM
looks like the have NiCad & NiMH replacement batteries for decent prices... now to find a charger, eh? :)

if the dead batteries happen to be NiCad, PM me your email address and i can send you some info on trying to resurrect them.

jmrydholm
06-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Yep, those are definitely the magnesium hydride ones. I love how the original battery lasted almost exactly as long as one 30 minute tape. Aftermarket batteries aren't a problem, but I think I may have seen a charger on google somewhere. I'll have to keep looking.

"We searched all through the night, I couldn't find it, you couldn't find it..." -Eric Clapton, Heaven Is One Step Away

jmrydholm
06-30-2011, 01:03 AM
Here's one more point of interest, does a tape have to be in the GR-C1's slot in order to see what the lens picks up from the viewfinder? With the plug in the wall, all I get is a grey screen. Lens cap is off too- didn't want to pull a "Jude Law" there. (Sky Captain reference)

xbrules
06-30-2011, 07:12 AM
Here's one more point of interest, does a tape have to be in the GR-C1's slot in order to see what the lens picks up from the viewfinder? With the plug in the wall, all I get is a grey screen. Lens cap is off too- didn't want to pull a "Jude Law" there. (Sky Captain reference)

I've just been through the exact same thing with my GR-C1u.

It will not function without a tape, once a tape was in, the zoom started working and it recorded and played back perfectly.

did you get your camera as a kit or just the camera on it's own?

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq180/xbrules/Picture016-2.jpg

this is how mine came. picked it up for $50

jmrydholm
06-30-2011, 11:48 AM
It was a partial kit with the red "suitcase" container, cigarette lighter plug, 2 dead batteries (natch), and the viewfinder. I was actually able to find the charger/wall socket plug off an ebay-like site this morning! :thumbup2: That's a start. If I can't figure out that video cable, I can always use a VHS-C adapter with my dad's old VCR. He's been wanting me to hook that up again anyway so we can dub our old tapes to digital format. I cleaned the outside off as it was kind of yellowed/dirty and smelled bad. Must have been in a smoker's place before that. My first thought was, "Hey, it's red not burgundy!"

jmrydholm
06-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Sorry guys, I keep responding to my own thread. This is becoming a neat little research project into VHS history. JVC informed me the model of the cable is YQ10416G. I got one from partstore.com if anyone needs one.

http://www.partstore.com/Part/Matsushita/JVC/GRC1U/Matsushita/JVC/YQ10416G/New.aspx

http://www.partstore.com/GetImage.ashx?ImageType=Item&MfgName=Matsushita&BrandName=JVC&IdealItemNumber=YQ10416G&StandardImageSizeCode=WEB_DISPLAY

mjhardinw
03-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Hi everybody,

Well I don't have a flux capacitor, but I did pick up a nice JVC compact VHS camcorder, just like the one used in the movie off ebay.

http://m0.ttxm.co.uk/images/galleries/technology/historyofthecamcorder/large/jvcgrc1.jpg

The trouble is, both battery packs it came with are dead, and I only have the DC to Cigarette Lighter adapter. This is great if I want to stand outside with the DeLorean running, with the tape plugged into my armrest, but I can't take it anywhere. I'm sure aftermarket batteries are available, as I see them all over amazon and ebay. But I can't find the wall outlet plug or charger for anything. Any ideas on where else to look besides ebay? It was hard enough to find the camera. I've seen only one other listing recently for a complete set. Too bad I didn't wait for that. Ah well, hindsight etc. etc.

Also interesting to note, the camcorder has a video out port, but I think this was originally meant for an old RF converter. Any way I might create a homemade S-Video or even composite cable for that? Anything is better than crappy RF. It looks like a 8-pin circular port, similar to a very small Midi cable. Must have been unique to JVC cameras.

Cool to have regardless! I can post some photos of the details too.

-John

Edit: That Midi cable analogy was a bad comparison, but I needed something to go on. I apologize for the crudity of this analogy, but I didn't have time to think it to scale or accuracy...to paraphrase Doc. ;)

I have the camera, case, ac/dc adapters for home and car, two batteries, one thin, one fat, four cartridges, and a cam to tv adapter. Want any of it? name your price.
Milt