PDA

View Full Version : How-To REQUEST LIST

Jonathan
06-29-2011, 06:13 PM
I didn't see one of these threads yet on the forum, so I thought I'd start one with a request I have for a How-To.

Request: How-To adjust the alignment of the headlights

I am thinking there could be a simple, at-home, DIYer version which might involve parking at certain distance from your closed garage door or a wall, and while knowing the height of your headlights, and the height up the wall that your lights shine on to the wall with, some guidelines on where to adjust the light itself so that the beam shines at the right distance off down the road (not to mention what tools you need, which nuts and bolts to loosen or pivot, etc.)

I noticed the other day when I pulled up to my house that my drivers side light is aimed higher than the passenger, and for all I know it might not be aligned well right to left either, so I think it's time for an adjustment.

Thanks!

GS450-Junkie
07-06-2011, 10:13 PM
how about a how-to on routing that damn battery strap !?

dvonk
07-07-2011, 12:26 AM
a google search revealed this page:

instructions on battery strap routing. (http://1561project.com/?page=batt-strap)

Renee_1632
07-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Can we get a how-to on removing the kneepads, dash, indicator light/speedo cover, and the plastc covering the AC settings?

Basically, how do I take my entire console apart?

DeLorean03
07-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Can we get a how-to on removing the kneepads, dash, indicator light/speedo cover, and the plastc covering the AC settings?

Are you wanting to know how to remove the binnacle, the dash, or both? I can help with the binnacle and A/C panel. I'm about to put new LED lights in my instrument gauge cluster, so I could take pictures as I go if you would like. Just let me know. As for the A/C cover, I'd be willing to do it soon to help.

TTait
07-12-2011, 01:52 AM
How about disassembling and rebuilding the power mirror switch?

Renee_1632
07-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Are you wanting to know how to remove the binnacle, the dash, or both? I can help with the binnacle and A/C panel. I'm about to put new LED lights in my instrument gauge cluster, so I could take pictures as I go if you would like. Just let me know. As for the A/C cover, I'd be willing to do it soon to help.

Well, all of the above. Whatever information you can provide would be great

opethmike
07-13-2011, 10:58 AM
These are useful for that:

http://www.sz-wholesale.com/uploadFiles/upimg2/DeWalt-14-4-v-Cordless-Circular-Saw16022.jpg

DeloreanJoshQ
07-13-2011, 11:11 AM

+1 request here. I noticed that the LED(installed by PO) light behind the red part of the temperature setting wasn't working. I was able to pull the panel off by pulling on the three knobs and then removing the small screw behind the center knob. I saw the bulb, it would work when I pushed on it, but I couldn't get it to stay on. When trying to remove it somehow I managed to push it through the hole and now it is stuck behind the panel; I can't get to it. So how do you remove the panel to get behind? It looks like the radio attaches to the same panel.....

Josh Q

Renee_1632
07-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Also, my alternator just died. A "How to replace alternator" would be fantastic.

Farrar
07-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Also, my alternator just died. A "How to replace alternator" would be fantastic.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?47-How-To-Replace-an-alternator

On another note, I would like a "How To Replace Your Radiator Fans Without Dropping The Radiator" page. Pretty please. :)

Farrar

Renee_1632
07-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Farrar, you are my favorite person right now. Thanks.

Farrar
07-13-2011, 11:44 PM
Farrar, you are my favorite person right now. Thanks.

You're welcome. Also: make sure that your new alternator comes with a fan and pulley installed, or you have someone transfer the old pulley and fan from your current alternator.

Farrar

Evildeli
07-18-2011, 09:36 AM
I found the fuel accumulator through Hervey's site;

http://jason.kitcarmagazine.com/delorean/fuelaccum.htm

Fox2506
07-24-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm about to rebuild my brake calipers. Would a guide be necessary, or might it be pretty straight forward? Not worried about getting them apart, but what's inside.

Farrar
07-28-2011, 01:21 PM
I would like to request "How To Adjust Valves."

Thanks in advance.

Farrar

Renee_1632
07-29-2011, 12:09 AM
Just wondering again if there's a how to remove binnacle/glass/cover so I can replace an indicator light. Thanks. Pictures would be a welcome bonus.

Citizen
07-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Could it be in a worse place?

Yes, that’s right. As luck would have it, it looks like I’m going to have to replace it. At least as far as I can tell, my car’s symptoms would indicate maybe a bad sensor. Don’t know what else it could be. The car is hard to start even with starting fluid, and hard to keep running until it warms up.

And of course the O2 sensor is very low and right next to the frame. Very hard to reach, and very hard to get a wrench down there. Anyone have any good tips on changing it out? I searched, but didn’t find much info about changing them on a DeLorean.

Thanks.

Thomas

sdg3205
08-04-2011, 08:22 PM
I know a lot of people have gone through this.

If anyone was willing to write up a full "how to" with pictures and lists of parts and needed to do a full conversion.

Cheers!

orbitron3000
08-04-2011, 11:10 PM
How To - Cleaning and Polishing the Engine Block

There are a lot of nice looking engines out there (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?609-Lets-see-some-engine-bay-pics..../page3&highlight=engine+pics)

I am interested to know what cleaners, brushes, techniques people have to make their engine nice and clean.

DMC3165
08-07-2011, 12:26 AM
Is there a how to do a "brake job". I am mainly interested if there are any special tools required to remove the calipers and rotors, or do the just slip off after you remove the calipers. I'd like to do this on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon because it's my only car right now.

Also any other little tidbits of advice while doing the D's brakes would be nice too.

Cory W
09-14-2011, 02:07 PM
On the .com site, there was a series of page scans from "Gullwing" magazine, showing a very comprehensive how-to on reskinning the seats. The photos were great, and the write up gave a lot of helpful hints and tips (zip ties, who knew?) They had been posted by user "DeCobra". Unfortunately I did not have them saved to any of my computers before the site went down, and a search of archive.org got me to the thread, but not the scans. Does anyone have them, or is "DeCobra" out there and willing to repost them?

skynet
09-26-2011, 05:03 PM
does anybody (perhaps the author) have this with pictures?

http://web.archive.org/web/20080806172139/http://dmctalk.com/showthread.php?p=113015&mode=linear#post113015

thanks,
sn

TTait
10-03-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm getting ready to rebuild my brake calipers (front and rear). It seems pretty straightforward, but there must be tips, tricks and warnings...

Also, what is the minimum thickness for front and rear rotors?

Advice appreciated.

Tom

Farrar
10-04-2011, 09:32 AM
The minimum thickness requirement is stamped onto the discs, so when you take it to the shop to have them turned you don't have to worry about looking up the D in the shop computer.

Farrar

TTait
10-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Thanks man...

thirdmanj
10-07-2011, 05:54 PM
My driver's side interior door/grab handle is loose. I'm just wondering how exactly it is attached so I can get in there and see what the problem is. I'd just like recommended tools, configuration, that kinda thing. Pictures would be great if possible. Thanks guys!

DeCobra
10-13-2011, 02:42 AM
I'm about to rebuild my brake calipers. Would a guide be necessary, or might it be pretty straight forward? Not worried about getting them apart, but what's inside.

Rebuild Your Brake Calipers (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1939-Rebuild-Your-Brake-Caliper)

Enjoy

jeff
01-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Just wondering again if there's a how to remove binnacle/glass/cover so I can replace an indicator light. Thanks. Pictures would be a welcome bonus.

Me too please.

sdg3205
01-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Me too please.

I have an issue of "DeLoreans" with a binnacle removal tech article.

I'll scan it later today.

Rich
02-17-2012, 04:59 PM
I would like to request "How To Adjust Valves."

Thanks in advance.

Farrar

6 months later:
See the Delorean Workshop Manual. Valve adjustment procedure starts on p.46. It's in the Engine section, Section 1 on the list of pdf's.

Thanks to our UK-based friends:

http://www.deloreanclub.co.uk/technical/manuals/workshop/

Ron
02-17-2012, 06:07 PM
FYI-There are searchable versions of the workshop and technical manuals (and more) in the resources section. THX to Joe (jangell)...

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2866-Searchable-Workshop-Technical-Bulletins-and-Volvo-Engine-Manuals&

Stainless
03-19-2012, 06:35 PM
How about a How-To of the example given: how to adjust your headlights?

I will admit that I have not dedicated more than 30 seconds to figure this out on my own, but on my other cars, they are adjustable using one screw for the vertical adjustment, and another screw for the horizontal adjustment.

If there are screws to adjust it without removing the headlight, they seem to be hiding somewhere. I will also admit that when I looked at them, it was dark and the headlights were blinding me. With that in mind, how do you adjust the headlights?

ccurzio
03-19-2012, 07:05 PM
With that in mind, how do you adjust the headlights?

One screw for horizontal and one for vertical. If the screws are hiding, they're (almost) hiding in plain sight on the side and above each bulb housing.

10 seconds in proper lighting and you'll see them. You'll have to nudge the fascia a bit, but it's easy. Also be sure not to start turning the mount screws since they're right next to the adjusting screws.

jackb
03-19-2012, 09:22 PM
How about a How-To of the example given: how to adjust your headlights?

I will admit that I have not dedicated more than 30 seconds to figure this out on my own, but on my other cars, they are adjustable using one screw for the vertical adjustment, and another screw for the horizontal adjustment.

If there are screws to adjust it without removing the headlight, they seem to be hiding somewhere. I will also admit that when I looked at them, it was dark and the headlights were blinding me. With that in mind, how do you adjust the headlights?
Turn off the headlights, use a flashlight to adjust, turn the headlights back on to check, repeat as necessary.

jackb
03-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Request: The window switch mod, to make one switch for up, one for down, for each side.

MML
03-22-2012, 09:18 PM
I'd like to see a how-to (with pics preferably!) on the mod that makes the AC panel lighting only come on when the headlights are turned on. I hear it's fairly simple but I'm a complete moron with electrics. :headscratch:

Cory W
03-22-2012, 09:42 PM
I'd like to see a how-to (with pics preferably!) on the mod that makes the AC panel lighting only come on when the headlights are turned on. I hear it's fairly simple but I'm a complete moron with electrics. :headscratch:

This one worked for me and others:
http://odoc.ca/archive/images/OnlineRef/wiremod2.jpg

MML
03-22-2012, 09:45 PM

Wow that was quick!! Thanks Cory, I'll give that a shot! :thumbup:

ccurzio
03-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Radiator replacement howto?

MML
04-10-2012, 10:17 AM

Just getting around to attempting this AC light mod now... was just wondering, would there be any need to put a wire with a fuse in it in place of the relay, or is the plain wire ok on its own? There's no danger of anything blowing, is there?

Ron
04-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Fuse #11 has takes care of it...

MML
04-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Fuse #11 has takes care of it...

Happy days, thanks Ron! I'll go ahead and make the swap!

MML
04-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Does anyone have a how-to on removing the Craig, preferably without the need for a crowbar, high explosives and a lot of swearing?

TTait
11-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Portions of this used to be on the old forum - but I can't find it here. If you post or know where to find it please also send me a PM.

Thanks guys,

Tom

StainlessSteelDream
07-21-2014, 11:57 AM
Besides the shop manual, does anyone have a good How-To guide for doing a clutch replacement? Or tips and tricks to make it go easier.

Thanks

M

Rich
07-21-2014, 09:29 PM
Portions of this used to be on the old forum - but I can't find it here. If you post or know where to find it please also send me a PM.
Thanks guys, TomPM sent

bfloyd
12-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Is there a "How to" somewhere for replacing the exterior door handles?

sdg3205
12-15-2014, 03:45 PM

Not sure, run a search. It's super easy.

But new door handles come with instructions.

DMCSPRINT
07-08-2015, 04:48 PM
Hello, sorry if I have put this on multiple sections but have not really gotten a reply from anyone whom has done it. I was just looking for some tips on what needs to be done to route the ac duct work to the vents you add in the knee pads, primarily the ones on the drivers side to the left and right of the steering wheel. Appreciate any help. Thanks

Rob_In_Houston
03-13-2016, 10:19 AM
Is there a howto for bringing a car out of storage?

Jonathan
03-13-2016, 06:34 PM

I assume you mean "sitting" more so than stored?

If you stored it yourself (which I can see isn't what you asked, as your VIN shows as "soon"), then you basically unstore it by reversing all the things you did when you put it away.

(put correct amount of air in the tires, take any steel wool out of exhaust tips, remove any moth balls from underneath or Bounce sheets from inside, put your roadside emergency stuff back in the trunk, double check your registration and insurance documents are up to date and in the glovebox, inspect fuse and relay areas for unwanted guests or general condition, check air filter, coolant level, brake fluid level, check/change oil, check/change ATF and/or final drive oil, lube angle drive, lube door seals and hinges, yada, yada, yada.

If you are getting a car out of "storage", then you just need to check all the basics, like I mentioned.

If the car is new to you AND it is coming out of "storage" over a time frame that was longer than intended, you'll need to check more than just the basics.

In addition to the basics, go through and check or confirm condition and operation of every feature and system on the car.

Brakes being the most important. Along with any other fluid system on the car. Inspect your fuse and relay areas and also take every fuse and relay out and inspect closer, reinsert and confirm connections are good and replace anything bad or old enough to show wear and tear.

If the car sat with old fuel in the tank, even if it is just a little in the bottom of the tank, it's likely foul by now and if it is also throughout the system down to the engine and injectors, you'll need to do some disassembly and cleaning to get things working well.

I could go on a lot more, but I won't because you get to do something first:

How long has the car sat in storage? and what do you know of its current condition?

We could rhyme off every last thing you might need, but that's a waste of time until you let us know what shape your car is in. Capiche?

DMCMW Dave
03-13-2016, 07:02 PM

1 year - 5 years - 10 years - decades? Big difference.

Rich
03-13-2016, 08:36 PM

Yes. DeLorean Workshop Manual, pg. P:02:10

DMCH offers the manual, order Part#: P3113096

Lou and "Boo"
03-13-2016, 10:08 PM
How about 'how to put the interior back together'

Oh boy !

LOL. :

More of a good than an actual request. Please don't take offense.

I have to take my seats out and start from square one so it would be enormous to write out Im sure.

dtavres
09-18-2017, 12:48 AM
Hey all,

I've always liked EL Wire (www.amzn.to/2y8iRhR), and have thought of doing a few fun accents on 10515. Whether inside or outside, I'm not sure yet - but the bigger issue is - how to attach it to the DeLorean.

Obviously tape will look terrible, and I don't think 'earthquake' putty will look good or last either.

Do YOU have EXPERIENCE putting EL wire in/on your DeLorean? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks!

rddmc
09-25-2017, 04:10 PM
I am ready to post a For Sale add on this site. I have lots of photos on my iPad which I would like to post as well as a brief video. Can someone give me a tutorial on posting photos to my add? When I email photos on my iPad usually five photos are all that I can send at once and I would like to post more than five photos with my add. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rod

Dangermouse
09-25-2017, 04:18 PM
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?5877-How-to-add-photos-from-your-computer-to-a-post

TMB
07-09-2022, 03:07 PM
Would someone please send me step-by-step instructions for the removal of the vertical rear bulkhead? I think that's the right name. It's the piece right under the rear window, holding the clips or whatever for the cargo net.
Thanks.

Bitsyncmaster
07-09-2022, 03:20 PM
Remove those clips for net and it will drop off.

Rich
07-10-2022, 02:45 PM
Remove those clips for net and it will drop off.

Correct. Pull the top of the vert panel forward after the clips are removed. Then lift it out.

Keep track of which clip goes where as you remove them. The outer pair and inner pair of clips are different lengths. Mixing them up makes installation a lot harder than it needs to be.

Maritime-elf
08-28-2023, 08:00 PM
Does anyone have a video on how to adjust the door locks and door latches? Even how to check them?

Ron
08-28-2023, 08:22 PM
Does anyone have a video on how to adjust the door locks and door latches? Even how to check them?
Lots to choose from:

Google Search DMCTalk (https://www.google.com/search?as_q=&as_epq=&as_oq=adjust+door+lock+latch&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=dmctalk.org&as_occt=any&as_filetype=&tbs=#ip=1)

Link on DMCTalk to Service Bulletin .PDF HERE (https://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1211-How-To-Door-Lock-amp-Latch-Adjustment-Tutorial&p=13584&viewfull=1#post13584).

Maritime-elf
08-28-2023, 08:25 PM
Lots to choose from:

Google Search DMCTalk (https://www.google.com/search?as_q=&as_epq=&as_oq=adjust+door+lock+latch&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=dmctalk.org&as_occt=any&as_filetype=&tbs=#ip=1)

At the risk of sounding stupid, I am confused which rod is which. I need an idiot proof video?..

Rich
08-29-2023, 11:20 AM
At the risk of sounding stupid, I am confused which rod is which. I need an idiot proof video?..

You could start with this one - https://youtu.be/92JJQG57t1s?si=Ys8AVqEgSFmE_df5

Martin explains a common latch/lock issue and how to diagnose it. If the front or rear lock isn?t in neutral then its latch won?t release.

And there?s this door mechanisms overview video (https://youtu.be/RgOATYrwx4Q?si=_Ya--adA7H6ZxDmM)from Stephen Wynne to see what goes on in there.

It?s not a video but the door latch/lock adj procedure in the Workshop Manual explains everything. P:02:11-12 including illustrations for all adjustments.

It?s also covered in Service Bulletin ST-10-8/81 within this doc (https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd8g4xvxo5bx3wt/DMC-Bulletins-Hybrid.pdf?dl=0) from the Forum resources page,

Maritime-elf
09-03-2023, 03:09 PM
You could start with this one - https://youtu.be/92JJQG57t1s?si=Ys8AVqEgSFmE_df5

Martin explains a common latch/lock issue and how to diagnose it. If the front or rear lock isn?t in neutral then its latch won?t release.

And there?s this door mechanisms overview video (https://youtu.be/RgOATYrwx4Q?si=_Ya--adA7H6ZxDmM)from Stephen Wynne to see what goes on in there.

It?s not a video but the door latch/lock adj procedure in the Workshop Manual explains everything. P:02:11-12 including illustrations for all adjustments.

It?s also covered in Service Bulletin ST-10-8/81 within this doc (https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd8g4xvxo5bx3wt/DMC-Bulletins-Hybrid.pdf?dl=0) from the Forum resources page,

Thank You Rich, these were really helpful!