PDA

View Full Version : In planning stages for EFI

Exolis
01-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Hello all, so looking at all these neat conversions and results, I have been looking into doing a conversion myself.

My biggest roadblock is finding an Intake Manifold. I looked at the list of other vehicles that have used a PRV-6, and it comes to no surprise American Auto Stores lack car parts for vehicles like Renault and Peugot. So I have a few questions.

1. Where did you find your Intake manifold for EFI conversion? And if you have a rough cost of how much it was, that would be great too.
2. I know a few of these PRVs differed in size, such as 2.8L and 3.0L, will that have any affect on the Manifold size and mounting points?

I think I had a few more questions but they escaped my mind...

thirdmanj
01-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Contact Josh at DPI. He should be able to give you some pointers. Spitty, will probably pop up here in a bit too. He's got loads of experience on the matter.

opethmike
01-24-2013, 01:22 PM
The ONLY EFI ready PRV manifold that fits the DeLorean PRV is the Renault Z7U. I got mine from Martin Gutkowski over in the UK. I don't recall exactly what I paid, but it was not cheap. However, there is no machining or fabrication needed to make it work, it comes with fuel rails, injectors, a regulator, etc.

opethmike
01-24-2013, 01:24 PM
I made a write-up of how I did the EFI conversion using the Renault manifold, you can find it here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2445-Megasquirt-EFI-conversion

Spittybug
01-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Did someone say EFI? My ears were burning!

Manifolds are indeed very difficult to find. But why bother? If you go to this thread in the EFI subforum: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2083-Spittybug-Designs-for-converting-stock-setup-to-EFI you will see that we have basically figured out how to use the stock setup. The only piece unresolved (but also optional) has been a throttle position sensor. Megasquirt only uses this for determining acceleration enhancement. The other viable means is to use the manifold air pressure (MAP) sensor instead, and this is what Ian and Shannon are doing without issue.

The biggest challenge is space and the somewhat temperamental behavior of the idle air controllers. If I were to offer counsel on the subject, I'd be tempted to go this route from what we have learned:

Keep the stock idle air controller and ECU if they are working properly. This saves the cost and learning curve of a new IAC.
Instead of the fuel rail route that we went with on Shannon and Ian's cars, I'd look at fuel injector hoses clamped to modern mechanical injectors running back to a 6 nipple fuel rail mounted on the firewall. This eliminates a lot of clearance issues (stock manifold, spark plugs and the idle pipe of agony) while still providing for a clean look. This also eliminates the need for some of the fuel rail and mounting bracket cost. However, one would need to figure out how to keep the injectors firmly seated in the injector bungs (stock uses those metal clips).

There are several advantages to sticking with the stock manifold: cost, stock appearance for inspection, sourcing parts, fabrication and no need to modify throttle or linkage.

Go ahead and peruse the threads and pictures. Then we'll talk more!

Owen.

dmc6960
01-24-2013, 09:39 PM
I was the first, to my knowledge, in this country to fit a Z7U manifold for EFI. I got it from Martin Gutkowski (http://dmctalk.org/member.php?98-DCUK-Martin). Its not completely plug and play, as some minor fabrication for a few things are still needed. I currently run a Megasquirt-I computer running the "Extra" software in a fuel only mode. Ignition and idle is still completely controlled by the stock systems. Took me about 2 months to get fully setup and integrated and have a drivable car. Thats starting from scratch, but with a TON of knowledge. Unfortunately my whole writeup on the conversion was lost in the great DMCTalk.com crash of 2011. Good luck.

Exolis
01-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Thank you all for the input. Regarding the Z7U Intake, do you have any more information on it? Such as possible factory part number? I work at Nissan and Nissan has big ties with Renault, I would love to try to dig up something. I will have to read through the 18 pages on the K-Jetronic conversion intake, but seems interesting as well.

Some modification and what not is not much of a concern to me. My brother is an ME working on the "Hemi", an Uncle that owns and runs a tool and die shop and myself, an EE at Nissan as Power Harness Engineer and I do quite a bit of stuff with software. So the electrical components and programming of the EFI will be a fun learning experience.

DrJeff
01-24-2013, 10:32 PM
The only piece unresolved (but also optional) has been a throttle position sensor. Megasquirt only uses this for determining acceleration enhancement. The other viable means is to use the manifold air pressure (MAP) sensor instead, and this is what Ian and Shannon are doing without issue.
Owen.

In the EV (Electric Vehicle) conversion forums they recommend one of these (http://www.tecknowledgey.com/curtis-throttles-pb-6-et126-wp45-ww1-ww2-fp-6/hall-effect-throttle/curtis-et-126-hall-effect-throttle-0-to-5v.html) with an short arm attached to the spindle, and the end of the arm connected to a throttle cable. As you press the pedal, the existing cable would have to pull the existing throttle and also on this sensor's arm. If it could be done you would have immediate input on accelerator position.

Jeff

AdmiralSenn
01-24-2013, 10:54 PM
DrJeff, that... that is awesome. I've been looking for something like that for a long time, as every TPS I've installed has died an extremely premature death. I may be doing some research soon... I would really like to get my TPS going on this iteration of my project.

Also, Exolis, I, too can attest that the factory manifold works fine. You CAN use rails and standard electronic injectors in the original ports. Don't go nuts and get fat-body high-flow injectors unless you really need them, though. Try to find taller bodies, that will help with the clearance. Mine are so short and fat that I have to remove the fuel rails to change spark plugs, but from the looks of it taller units aren't as big of a deal.

Also also, if you do manage to find a ready source of manifolds, please let us know. I'm happy with my setup (okay, I'm happy with it when I can leave it assembled for an hour at a time) but I'm always willing to explore.