PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Looking for a DMC 12 to restore - 18k or less?

JohnZ
01-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Hi there, It is a great pleasure be part of this community. I think it's best to start this message with a little presentation :). I live in a small town in Northern Italy called Belluno, I work as a technician for a local TV station, this job gives me a bit of money, but let's say that the crisis is really beating us down so actually I'm not very rich. Luckily I still live with my parents so I don't have to spend money to survive (at the moment :) ). I'm a member of the Italian Delorean Club, and lately I've been wondering how I could do to own a Delorean and to drive it currently since I love to drive and I love the car itself. At the beginning I thought that this was a bad idea because of its cost, the fact that they're so rare and so on. But little by little I started to change my mind and here I am looking for a DMC 12 for real! So good I am endorsed spiritually from my father who also loves to drive. I just imagine, from time to time, what driving around my small city with a sports car like that would mean!

However, in these days I've been sending TONS of emails to private sellers and also Car markets but I have been receiving very few answers (I don't now why). Moreover, this answers were so negative (like "I've already sold it") and so I was beginning to feel a little down hearted. The Delorean trades here in Italy are very rare, I would say they're almost non existent.

Briefly: I was looking for a car that is not perfect. I don't have much money as I said, but in these three years of working I collected a bit of cash and I'm ready to spend around 18.000 dollars for the basic car. I can go up to 20.000 dollars only if It's a great occasion. Don't forget that I'll have to spend more money to ship the car and do all the bureaucracy stuff. My moves were to find a car which could run but needed so much work as I love to make things personally. For example I would probably change engine, brakes and suspentions in order to optimize it for European roads. All the rest does not have to be in perfect shape because monthly I would adjust every crack and fix every damage but I really can not afford more than 18.000 dollars for the first acquisition. I know I will spend more money in the future to take care of the car, but simply I can not afford all the money in one moment. The classic "barn find car" would be perfect! :)

Now the car: I'm looking exclusively for a manual transmission car, I like black interiors and It would be a good thing for the car to have the gas flap hood (early VIN). The last one is however not a strict condition. I know that there are a lot of threads which deal with this very subject, but as I said I sent so much emails and read a lot of discussions (in various forums) and I started to think that many of the ads are just sooo old and the sellers don't own the car anymore. Moreover, I'm from Italy, so VERY far from America, and here the Deloreans are very much expensive, as they are completely restored (for sure you don't find a DMC in a barn here in Europe). So I decided to move my attentions to the American commerce and I see that there is more "life" in this sector !

But I feel so... lonely! It seems that it is nearly impossible for an Italian young folk to just reach that magnificent car! I'm self confident anyway.

I would be happy If you could send me your opinions and, why not, your offers.

PS: I know I probably do a lot of grammar mistakes, but I hope you will understand everything!

Best Regards and thank you anyway!

:)

Giovanni Zanon

sdg3205
01-28-2013, 01:15 AM
Good luck! Keep an eye on eBay and here. You WILL find something at some point.

Silverbullet
01-28-2013, 02:52 AM
Welcome!

You just need to watch to see what comes up, they are out there. Since you want to replace the engine anyway, I am sure you can find something to fit your budget.

Craig

JohnZ
01-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Thank you for your welcomes and interest!

Actually I don't feel forced to swap the engine, the original PRV is not too bad for my needs, but I must say that a change of engine can be contemplated in my vision. BUT if it is not a necessary work, I'll probably concentrate on other aspects to be improved, such as the injection system or, as I said, the brakes.

:) :)

Henrik
01-28-2013, 01:14 PM
Hi Giovanni,
I bought my car by contacting an expired eBay auction. The car hadn't sold so I felt like I had the upper hand. Obviously, buying a car sight unseen is a gamble but I was relatively lucky. Have you checked with Ed Uding at Delorean Europe in Holland?

The search is all worth it. The car is very rare here in the US. Filling gas, for example, usually takes a long time because of everyone who wants to check out the car. I can only imagine how rare they are in Italy.

Good Luck!

Domi
01-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Hi and welcome here :)
I'm sure you will find your happiness soon or later!
Henrik has right, you should try to contact Ed, he will be able to see the entire stock of the car in every DMC shop ;)

JohnZ
01-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Here I am! Well I already wrote something to Ed and he was very kind, but he was no help at all since he has not a car that fulfill my needs right now. He also said that 13.000 / 14.000 euros are not so much for the cars that he sell. My aim is to find a private seller who is aware of the conditions of his car and just want to loose it and give it to someone who cares about it (that's me :D ). I'm trying to avoid official sellers and showrooms, because they only sell Delorean in perfect conditions and I don't have the money to buy a flawless car, I just need the basic DMC and then have fun in restoring it myself! Like I think many of you did...

I tell you, just the thought of having a nearly dead Delorean in my garage thrills me! 'Cause once I have it, monthly I'll possibly fix it! The difficult here is to find a kind of a "poor" car, it's so easy to find a DMC in excellent shape! Of course talking about a 18.000 $ Delorean means that it has to worth that price!

And I agree with Henrik as the DMCs are literally non existent in my area, and moreover I would not be a Delorean OWNER... I'd like very much to be a Delorean DRIVER!

Any further suggestions will be appreciated!

J

MML
01-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Have you tried this site:

http://www.dmc12.it/

Try the forum there, someone might be able to point you in the right direction!

JohnZ
01-29-2013, 12:56 AM
Of course I did! that's the Italian Delorean Club and I'm part of it! I know the forum and I told them more or less the same things I'm telling you! I also met a couple of guy from that forum, they live near me so once I saw two Deloreans live... and to me it was just fantastic !

:D

MML
01-29-2013, 09:05 AM
Of course I did! that's the Italian Delorean Club and I'm part of it! I know the forum and I told them more or less the same things I'm telling you! I also met a couple of guy from that forum, they live near me so once I saw two Deloreans live... and to me it was just fantastic !

Oh, I didn't realise that was the same group! Sorry...
Yes it's great seeing the car for real for the first time... you never forget it!

Dangermouse
01-29-2013, 09:37 AM
$18k is a healthy budget for a car in the condition that you are looking for(assuming that this doesn't include shipping, taxes etc). You should be able to find one for that on ebay without a problem.

Obviously your problem is finding someone who is willing to ship internationally. Many guys from the UK and Ireland buy cars like that and arrange their own shipping/importing. I would suggest asking about it on one of their forums for advice.

JohnZ
01-30-2013, 12:34 AM
All right, at the moment I'm keeping my eyes on ebay and other ad sites, hoping of some new entries... I think I'll follow your advice, mr. dangermouse, and I will ask someone from UK because I have not probed european forums yet (except the Italian one of course).

Domi
01-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Unfortunately, there's no Delorean for sale in France at your price range.

JohnZ
01-31-2013, 07:27 AM
What a misfortune!

I'm waiting for some responses from the UK forum... finger crossed for me!

:shyshy:

Dangermouse
01-31-2013, 10:49 AM
I think perhaps you mis-understood my suggestion.

I doubt that you will find one in the UK for sale within your budget, because they, like you plan, buy a car from the States, pay shipping and taxes and then work on it, so they have many $/pounds/euros invested in them

I was suggesting getting advise from the UK forums on how to contact US sellers that may not want to ship their car internationally. Almost all of their cars have been imported from the US (apart from a few from Ed in Holland and of course the ones that never left), so they know how to deal with the sellers etc.

JohnZ
01-31-2013, 11:20 AM
Well yes I undestood what you were saying, but since it's a hard search I wanted to try the possibility of finding a good car for a good price even in Europe! I don't give it too much faith because of the things we said, but never say never! Moreover, I wanted to make them know what I'm looking for and to introduce myself a little bit just to fraternize with them! Now I'll see how the discussion goes on and if anyone has any tip for me!

I think the problem here is to find the right car, isn't it? It's to practically get in contact with the right seller.....

BABIS
01-31-2013, 11:34 AM
I think perhaps you mis-understood my suggestion.

I doubt that you will find one in the UK for sale within your budget, because they, like you plan, buy a car from the States, pay shipping and taxes and then work on it, so they have many $/pounds/euros invested in them

I was suggesting getting advise from the UK forums on how to contact US sellers that may not want to ship their car internationally. Almost all of their cars have been imported from the US (apart from a few from Ed in Holland and of course the ones that never left), so they know how to deal with the sellers etc.

I know that a couple of months ago in the UK VIN 2456 had been sold for £9900 (which is in the price range of JohnZ)

andyd
01-31-2013, 03:18 PM
... also a rough runner (MOT'd I think) project for 13-14k GBP, also something like JohnZ's range.

The cars do exist at that price on the right side of the Atlantic for him, just not many!!

Good luck!

a

JohnZ
01-31-2013, 03:50 PM
The cars do exist at that price on the right side of the Atlantic for him, just not many!!

That's a sight for sore eyes to read! Still, I'm a bit more oriented toward the American market... I would say it's easier to find my car on the left side of the Atlantic!

I keep my eyes on ebay and other official / non official sellers' sites... if you find out something interesting for me... well I'm here!

Rad Dad
02-01-2013, 12:16 PM
PM sent.

Domi
02-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Did you see that one?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150989455819?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

JohnZ
02-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Yes I found it yesterday, but it has grey interiors and probably it seems to be in worse conditions than it apperars by the photos... moreover the 16.000 GBPs (25k dollars) could be right for me (It's an european car, so it means less pain to ship the car, and less money) but it's just the starting bid.. I wonder how much he will sell the car for in the end...

DMCflux
02-09-2013, 12:17 AM
Here are 2 that need work, but in a lower price range. Also both under bodies don't show excessive rust...

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1981-DeLorean-DMC_12-878475.xhtml?conversationId=189119

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/delorean/dmc_12/1532752.html

OverlandMan
02-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Here are 2 that need work, but in a lower price range. Also both under bodies don't show excessive rust...

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1981-DeLorean-DMC_12-878475.xhtml?conversationId=189119

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/delorean/dmc_12/1532752.html

Man - both those cars need a lot of TLC. It would appear that neither of them runs much less drives. The frames appear to be ok from what I could see in the crappy pics. I paid a lot less for mine last summer and it was a running/driving car. Guess the prices are really starting to increase. That or greedy people sitting on these for several months waiting for a sucker buyer.

IMO - with the information provided, I'd say the first one would be in the $6k range and the second one maybe $5k. Just spit-balling there...

DMCflux
02-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Man - both those cars need a lot of TLC. It would appear that neither of them runs much less drives. The frames appear to be ok from what I could see in the crappy pics. I paid a lot less for mine last summer and it was a running/driving car. Guess the prices are really starting to increase. That or greedy people sitting on these for several months waiting for a sucker buyer.

IMoO - with the information provided, I'd say the first one would be in the $6k range and the second one maybe $5k. Just spit-balling there...

They sure do. And if they don't run, they won't drive, lol. He said he is looking to do an engine swap anyways. Of course those are just asking prices and just options from what I could find as far as current searches online in the US.

JohnZ
02-10-2013, 02:47 AM
Actually I'm changing my mind just a bit, thus I'm oriented toward a functional car, which is already drivable and not a standing car needing a 90% amount of work just to turn up. And the engine swapping is not really a strict point. You see, the PRV engine is not a bad engine for my style of driving. I would concentrate more on the acceleration improvement rather than take the car on high speed levels. And to make the car to ALWAYS be funcional! Any way I thank you for your concern! Let's keep on scanning the web for good bargains!

A last question: I'm looking strictly for a black interior car, so I'll buy a black interior car. Suppose that a gray interior car comes down from the sky directly into my garage, would it be possible to change the interior colors and convert them to black? (I think it would be a VERY long and hard work, isn't it? It will not be my choice of course)

Dangermouse
02-10-2013, 02:09 PM
It would just be a question of replacing the various parts; seats, carpet, dash etc.

If your divine grey car has a perfect original binnacle and dash, it would be more difficult to find a replacement of similar quality.

There are several cars with two tone interiors; black seats with grey carpets for example.

You could do it all at once or gradually over a few years.

Silverbullet
02-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Well,

There are PLENTY of BLACK interior cars out there, no need to buy Gray and have to swap everything... I wanted Black, and like you want to do, I bought Black. I agree with you the PRV is fine to have fun with... mine runs great. It has the stage 1 on it, and SOUNDS great... Everybody thinks it is really fast, and I also own 2 Corvettes, that are really quick, so I know what fun is...

If you buy one in GOOD shape, in the long run you will save a lot of money, and have more fun from day 1...

Craig

JohnZ
02-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Well it was just a question due to pure curiosity... Obviously I'll never change the interiors' color, it is probably one of the silliest moves that can ever be done. But since I'm discovering that a LOT of work can be performed to improve the original Delorean, I just wondered if this was a common or easy work to do. Not in my plans to do such action anyway. And no divine car coming down from the sky at the moment :approve:

Nice to hear that buying a car in good shape will save a lot of money, still in my mind I'll have to do a couple of works in my car and I'm not thinking of buying a Delorean in perfect shape (I don't have the money), but a great running car would be my goal. I'm studying James Espey's book at the moment, man that's reeeally interesting! It's an awesome book! Everything is there! :)

Just a little question about the PRV engine: is there something that has to be swapped FOR SURE? I mean, does the stock engine come with "natural" troubles? Are there any upgrades that are just needed? Or at least highly recommended? I heard that the K Jetronic injection system is nearly a failure... is it correct? I don't want to stop in the middle of Italian roads just because I left the PRV immaculate... :D

Let's go forward!

eldusto84
02-13-2013, 08:49 PM
I bought my Delorean last year for $18K and after spending an additional $400-500 in parts, I was able to get it into good running shape. It's still a work in progess, but mostly little things here and there such as replacing the window switches, fixing the parking brake, etc. I've learned that a Delorean owners' work is never truly done- these are moody cars and like to keep you busy tinkering with them :)

Bottom line is, you can get a very decent Delorean for $18K.

OverlandMan
02-14-2013, 10:44 AM
I've learned that a Delorean owners' work is never truly done- these are moody cars and like to keep you busy tinkering with them :)

+1. You get it where you can drive and enjoy it. Most things work correctly and it looks good, but I'm not sure I'll ever have mine 100% where I want it. If you do, then you probably have a concours car that you can't drive and enjoy as much. In the meantime, keep replenishing your funds as they'll nickle-and-dime you quite often. Perhaps for DeLorean parts that should be rephrased to dime-and-quarter.

JohnZ
02-14-2013, 01:26 PM
I kinda like this "enjoy" factor! Even though the car will probably never be in perfect shape, there will always be something to work on! Isn't it? It is a positive aspect I think, unless the cars is just tearing itself apart!

Meanwhile I'm gathering more and more informations about the importation process and the registration of the vehicle here in Italy. Man that's totally discouraging! It seems I'll have to pay a minimum of 8.000 dollars (it depends on the price of the car)... this is nonsense. I can understand the money that I can put into the ship travel, the workers and a minimal tax... but this is almost completely matter of taxes! So awful... but I'm still searching for more informations... My friends of the Italian Delorean Club went through it and they were able to save money, I'll have to ask them some questions about it.

:( :(

But I come from Al Jarreau's old school: NEVER GIVE IT UP!

ALEXAKOS
02-19-2013, 04:01 AM
Ciao amico!
This one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-Delorean-Gullwing-1980s-Icon-/321075171237?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4ac1924fa5#v4-41) need some serious resto work and it will cost you at 18K shipped to Italia!
He will sell at 15.500 and close the auction
;)

Good luck!

OverlandMan
02-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Ciao amico!
This one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-Delorean-Gullwing-1980s-Icon-/321075171237?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4ac1924fa5#v4-41) need some serious resto work and it will cost you at 18K shipped to Italia!
He will sell at 15.500 and close the auction
;)

Good luck!

Just on initial online inspection that looks like a decent car. The major things seem to be intact (frame, engine, gearbox, body panels). I think 15k is on the high-side but 10-11k (where it is right now) would be a fair deal. Didn't notice a reserve price...

BABIS
02-19-2013, 09:33 AM
Just on initial online inspection that looks like a decent car. The major things seem to be intact (frame, engine, gearbox, body panels). I think 15k is on the high-side but 10-11k (where it is right now) would be a fair deal. Didn't notice a reserve price...

I noticed that it has a flat hood! maybe the consequence of an old damage?

OverlandMan
02-19-2013, 09:46 AM
I noticed that it has a flat hood! maybe the consequence of an old damage?

I couldn't tell from those pictures but your eyes might be better than mine. The early VIN indicates it should have a gas-flap hood so if its a flat one, then it was changed out at some point.

BABIS
02-19-2013, 09:50 AM
I couldn't tell from those pictures but your eyes might be better than mine. The early VIN indicates it should have a gas-flap hood so if its a flat one, then it was changed out at some point.

I'm not sure it is a flat hood but surely it doesn't have the gas flap..

JohnZ
02-19-2013, 10:00 AM
I can't tell you if the grooves are missing, it it not so clear in those photos. It might be a 1982 hood without the Delorean logo, I know a man that lost the logo (on purpose) and honestly I don't like the logo too, but a hood without grooves is not too bad at all.

Do you really think that the above mentioned car does not worth 15k dollars?

OverlandMan
02-19-2013, 10:10 AM
I can't tell you if the grooves are missing, it it not so clear in those photos. It might be a 1982 hood without the Delorean logo, I know a man that lost the logo (on purpose) and honestly I don't like the logo too, but a hood without grooves is not too bad at all.

The gas-flap hoods bring more $ and typically are the most desirable but again, its all in the eye of the beholder. If you're a purist, you'd want to find a gas-flap hood to make the car "correct".

I think $15k is high for an admitted project car. No telling what all needs done on the brakes but assume new MC and wheel cylinders at all corners plus pads. The clutch slave cylinder requires the gearbox to be removed for replacement. You'll need a new windshield. Plus all the other nickle-and-dime stuff you're going to find along the way. The one thing that concerns me with this one is the "sat for 20 years". The seller might have decided there is too much $ needed for this one.

Just my 2 cents.

ALEXAKOS
02-19-2013, 10:34 AM

I live in Greece (next to Italy for the not so Europe map familiar members) and am too looking for a project Delo.
I would avoid the purchase of that one due to the larger spares danger (windshield etc)
For a European restoration of a Delo, its best to have mainly cabin restorations to work on and or minor mechanical.

This one looks risky.
PS
Look for the episode of WHEELER DEALERS Season 8 episode 7.
They bring in a Delo from CA USA to the UK and make minor things on it.
I found that episode quite enlightening for what I am after.

Find your delo (BEST FLY TO THE US! California or Florida, It is worth the money) pick up some spares at DMC and throw those in the car before you ship it over to Europe. SAVE TONS of cash.
alex

ALEXAKOS
02-19-2013, 10:40 AM
The seller might have decided there is too much $ needed for this one.

Just my 2 cents.

My speculation too! Right on the 2 cents!!

JohnZ
02-19-2013, 05:03 PM
For a European restoration of a Delo, its best to have mainly cabin restorations to work on and or minor mechanical.

This is the point. My nearest DMC vendor is 720 miles away, I can do banal electrical or even interior works in the car (something that is in common with other cars) but I would avoid to purchase something that needs primarily "DMC works"... the windshield is in this category, like the binnacle or the clutch system... things like the alternator or the power windows are easily fixable without a Delorean expert in the nearbies I guess....

OverlandMan
02-19-2013, 05:33 PM
This is the point. My nearest DMC vendor is 720 miles away, I can do banal electrical or even interior works in the car (something that is in common with other cars) but I would avoid to purchase something that needs primarily "DMC works"... the windshield is in this category, like the binnacle or the clutch system... things like the alternator or the power windows are easily fixable without a Delorean expert in the nearbies I guess....

IMO regardless of the car you choose, you're going to need parts (assuming you're doing your own service). So plan for that period. Take into account international shipping and time to receive, especially if this is going to be a daily driver.

But I do agree in that the car's condition will dictate just how much you're going to need "part-wise" right off the bat. My advice --> take it slow and pace yourself. Don't get burnt out. And have a separate late model vehicle for your daily driver or another means of primary transportation.

sdg3205
02-20-2013, 12:28 AM
Shipping... GOOD shipping is very expensive. Start looking around and get quotes and what precautions are taken.

Duty and importation taxes are also significant. Do you have to pay excise taxes?

It might be a good idea to know exactly how much those will cost you.

JohnZ
02-20-2013, 02:36 AM
As I wrote, taxes are significantly high! If you look back a few posts ago I mentioned all the costs, with much sadness! So I had to lower the price a bit, let's say about 15.000 / 16.000 dollars. I changed it exclusively for that reason, since taxes are applied on the cost of the car, the less I pay for the car, the less I'll spend money in taxes and duties.

ALEXAKOS
02-20-2013, 04:06 AM
As I wrote, taxes are significantly high! If you look back a few posts ago I mentioned all the costs, with much sadness! So I had to lower the price a bit, let's say about 15.000 / 16.000 dollars. I changed it exclusively for that reason, since taxes are applied on the cost of the car, the less I pay for the car, the less I'll spend money in taxes and duties.

Again, consider a trip to the us part of the purchase cost. ( eg 1000€)
Purchase your Delo inspect it for needing parts. Take the light stuff with you in the suitcase. (Avoid some tax there by taking a connection flight over another European city. The rest just throw on the car to be shipped.

Even for that I have some tax avoiding solution for you. Pm me for details

JohnZ
02-20-2013, 06:28 AM
And have a separate late model vehicle for your daily driver or another means of primary transportation.

You see, this is going to be my first "property car". I don't drive daily, since I live in a small town and I walk very much. But I really enjoy driving and in my free time a take my mum's car and just go for a ride. The Delorean would mean much to this attitude I have. Of course it is a car, and if I'll ever need to go in one place "not for pleasure" I guess I will use it. After all, it will be MY OWN car! I'll still be able to use my mum's and dad's vehichle too of course.

But my dad, which will be retired from his job in July, keeps on telling me that he'll use the Delorean for his travels!

ALEXAKOS
02-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Here you go:
http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981-dmc-delorean--c-1539.htm

Lovely project great price!

ALEXAKOS
02-20-2013, 11:08 AM
sorry outdated ad. so erased this one.

JohnZ
02-21-2013, 03:42 AM
What about Josh from DPI? I emailed him, but I got no responses! I even sent him a PM but no answers were to be found! Is he offline? Any reasons about this silence? He could be helpful I think!

Maybe he just went offline for a while... who knows?

Shep
02-21-2013, 10:27 PM
What about Josh from DPI? I emailed him, but I got no responses! I even sent him a PM but no answers were to be found! Is he offline? Any reasons about this silence? He could be helpful I think!

Maybe he just went offline for a while... who knows?

:)When I've been to DPI, Josh has told me he has days where he puts in a full work day and doesn't stop for anything, even to answer emails or take calls. He gets "in the zone" and is very productive on those days, and does not want to stop for obvious reasons. Usually though I've found that he tends to not answer emails nor PM's if he doesn't have a satisfactory (or in some cases definitive) answer. I actually emailed him myself asking if he knew of any DeLoreans that met my criteria when I was first looking and never got a response. I found mine through an ad on here and decided to have a frame-off restoration done there. A few months into the restoration, he told me that when I first emailed him looking for a DeLorean, he didn't have anything in my price range with the condition I was looking for. What he knew of was either way over my budget or far below the condition I was looking for. I suspect the same thing applies in your case.

He reads every email and every PM, but chances are he doesn't have anything meeting your criteria and all the owners that he knows are trying to sell don't have any DeLoreans for sale that meet your criteria either. He does respond to phone calls much more frequently than emails and PM's though, so if you have free long-distance calls, it might be worth giving him a call and speaking to him in person. You're six hours ahead of us here in Ohio, so pretty much any time after work until bedtime for you is still business hours over here. (For Josh, at least -- he gets there early and leaves late, some days 14 total hours of work!)

EDIT: Ooh hey, 777th post! That's gotta be good luck for you :)

Delorean Industries
02-21-2013, 10:57 PM
When I've been to DPI, Josh has told me he has days where he puts in a full work day and doesn't stop for anything, even to answer emails or take calls. He gets "in the zone" and is very productive on those days, and does not want to stop for obvious reasons. Usually though I've found that he tends to not answer emails nor PM's if he doesn't have a satisfactory (or in some cases definitive) answer. I actually emailed him myself asking if he knew of any DeLoreans that met my criteria when I was first looking and never got a response. I found mine through an ad on here and decided to have a frame-off restoration done there. A few months into the restoration, he told me that when I first emailed him looking for a DeLorean, he didn't have anything in my price range with the condition I was looking for. What he knew of was either way over my budget or far below the condition I was looking for. I suspect the same thing applies in your case.

He reads every email and every PM, but chances are he doesn't have anything meeting your criteria and all the owners that he knows are trying to sell don't have any DeLoreans for sale that meet your criteria either. He does respond to phone calls much more frequently than emails and PM's though, so if you have free long-distance calls, it might be worth giving him a call and speaking to him in person. You're six hours ahead of us here in Ohio, so pretty much any time after work until bedtime for you is still business hours over here. (For Josh, at least -- he gets there early and leaves late, some days 14 total hours of work!)

EDIT: Ooh hey, 777th post! That's gotta be good luck for you :)

I'm not the best at private messages. I go lengths of time without coming on here. My apologies! I have lots of cars for sale, obviously I want inquires!

Delorean Industries
02-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Giovanni from Italy correct? I'm guilty of not responding on that one. Back on 1/28....

JohnZ
02-22-2013, 02:25 AM
Giovanni from Italy correct? I'm guilty of not responding on that one. Back on 1/28....

That's me! :) I would be glad if you could just see you you've got something for me! Both the email and my posts here are very precise and explicative, so I'll wait with hope!

By the way, I know what does "working hard" mean! So take your time!

JohnZ
02-24-2013, 05:22 PM
There's a car in Providence which is being sold for 15 grand... does not look so shiny though...

:(

BABIS
02-24-2013, 06:19 PM
There's a car in Providence which is being sold for 15 grand... does not look so shiny though...

pictures? ;)

Jimmyvonviggle
02-24-2013, 10:33 PM

I like how the ad says it will only take a few hundred dollars to bring it back.....sure it will.

http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/3567008312.html

JohnZ
02-25-2013, 02:34 AM
You spotted the ad. For 15.000 / 18.000 dollars I expect a fully functional car, with little things to fix here and there, but with both interiors and the body in good shape.

I ask you: am I wrong? Am I misunderstanding the whole price thing? Of course It will not be a 30k car, but I don't expect a 8k car either...

15.000 and up to 18.000... I think that a good running car is worth those prices... isn't it?

BABIS
02-25-2013, 03:38 AM
I would give a chance to that car.. from the pictures it seems that it is just in dirty conditions.. the body side does not have damages.. the interiors looks good..
high mileage often means good running cars..
I would ask additional pictures to the owner ;)

JohnZ
02-25-2013, 04:18 AM
Actually, there is something that stopped me rightaway: GREY INTERIORS! I can't stand that color!

If they had been black, then I surely would have been inquiring the car deeply!

Shep
02-25-2013, 09:48 PM
I would give a chance to that car.. from the pictures it seems that it is just in dirty conditions.. the body side does not have damages.. the interiors looks good..
high mileage often means good running cars..
I would ask additional pictures to the owner ;)I noticed the sunvisor looks like it might be unbolted, the driver's door headliner is missing, and the some of the rest of the headliner is sagging. Whoever goes for that one should definitely ask for pictures of the rest of the car; engine bay, frame, undercarriage, trunk area, etc. Lacking that, assuming it does run and doesn't smoke or anything, I'd say he's asking a very fair price.

John, have you considered getting a grey one and having the interior dyed to match the original black color scheme? Or perhaps going a bit more unique and dying it whatever color you want (red, blue, white, tan, etc.)? Surely they have something that could do the job in Italy, and for $15,500, it's in your budget! ;)

Jonathan
02-25-2013, 10:08 PM
Again, consider a trip to the us part of the purchase cost. ( eg 1000€)
Purchase your Delo inspect it for needing parts. Take the light stuff with you in the suitcase. (Avoid some tax there by taking a connection flight over another European city. The rest just throw on the car to be shipped.
Even for that I have some tax avoiding solution for you. Pm me for details

Just reading through your thread here and this comment caught my eye.

I can't say for certain how the laws are applied going overseas to Italy or Greece, but when I imported my car from the USA to Canada, it was made very clear to me that the car would not pass customs if there was miscellaneous things in it, i.e. parts and boxes of things in the passenger seat or trunk. Call it border security or customs related in some way, but I would suggest you research actually counting on doing this with your excess parts beforehand.

ALEXAKOS
02-26-2013, 01:11 AM
We wish we could import cars from the US as you do in Canada Jonathan;)

All EU countries have the VAT (sales tax) imposed as a customs tax depending it it an old timer or a daily driver use.

Some countries charge the tax per purchase invoice and others per listing prices of the period it was new.

JohnZ
02-26-2013, 02:40 AM
Some countries charge the tax per listing prices of the period it was new.

This would be completely insane! As well as super expensive! :(

As for the interiors... Shep if you take a look to my older posts, I asked if the interior color's swap was a good move, but it seems far more practical to get the car with beautiful black interiors from the beginning... ;)

......OH LORD HELP ME! :D

Andy
02-26-2013, 04:36 AM
I see that you have a brother in Belgium (through the Italian DeLorean Club). Did you know there is a DeLorean Service Center in Belgium near Bruges? Maybe the owner has a DeLorean for you, you never know ... I don't know what he has in store at the moment.

We have a website, but it needs to be updated :) : http://www.deloreanservice.be/ His name is Steve Entwistle and he's a very nice guy. His emailadres and telephonenumber are under 'contact'.

Regards
Verbrugghe Andy
VIN#04610

JohnZ
02-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Thanks Andy that's a real good new! I sent them an email, let's hope for the best! Finding the car here in Europe would mean to cut down lots of costs and headaches, but I still have my doubts about finding a low price car here in the old Europe! Plus, I would be able to go and check the car with my brother! I could possibly afford 18000 euros (about 23500 dollars) just for the car since I don't pay those mad taxes if I buy it here...

And I think that a 23000 $ car is a GOOD car.

;)

ALEXAKOS
02-26-2013, 10:23 AM
This would be completely insane! As well as super expensive! :(

Welcome to GREECE!:(

The Greek customs to avoid scams of reduced invoices, simply charge a percentage of the NEW price when it was on sale in the past and then reduce the percentage in accordance to the years past.
To Increase insanity:
Vehicles older than 2 years and less that 30 years old have a 450% customs tax, again from the NEW price listed. Regardless of the true value. 30 Year old cars enter the country as Old timers and are charged as items and not as vehicles. But then it is ILLEGAL to drive them daily. Just on special events and club excursions.

And then... you naturally have the annual tax up to $2000 for a +3700cc vehicle PLUS an annual luxury tax for vehicles above 2000cc that is being covered by your annual income up to $20.000. Above that you have to PAY CASH the difference.
E.g. a 4000cc car you need to have a net income of $50.000. If you make lets say $35k you have to "cough up" the remaining $15K to the government.

Sorry for the off topic. :8ball:

JohnZ
02-26-2013, 12:26 PM
That's simply awful. Not to mention what's going on here in Italy for the elections... and their final result...

:hatchet:

Let's close this OT and get back to good things!

Dangermouse
02-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Just reading through your thread here and this comment caught my eye.

I can't say for certain how the laws are applied going overseas to Italy or Greece, but when I imported my car from the USA to Canada, it was made very clear to me that the car would not pass customs if there was miscellaneous things in it, i.e. parts and boxes of things in the passenger seat or trunk. Call it border security or customs related in some way, but I would suggest you research actually counting on doing this with your excess parts beforehand.

From what I have read on the UK forums, I am sure that is the case too. No loose parts, boxes etc.

Andy
02-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Thanks Andy that's a real good new! I sent them an email, let's hope for the best! Finding the car here in Europe would mean to cut down lots of costs and headaches, but I still have my doubts about finding a low price car here in the old Europe! Plus, I would be able to go and check the car with my brother! I could possibly afford 18000 euros (about 23500 dollars) just for the car since I don't pay those mad taxes if I buy it here...

And I think that a 23000 $ car is a GOOD car.

;)

Where does your brother live in Belgium?

Keep me posted if you can reach Steve or not, OK?

Regards
Verbrugghe Andy
VIN#04610

Ron
02-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Let's close this OT and get back to good things!
Thank you. :)

JohnZ
02-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Where does your brother live in Belgium?

Keep me posted if you can reach Steve or not, OK?

He lives in Gent! He works at the university... he'll be living there I think for 4 o 5 months more!

I mailed the two email addresses on that website, hoping for answers... though you can still poke one of them and talk about my situation if you want... :) :)

Shep
02-26-2013, 06:34 PM
As for the interiors... Shep if you take a look to my older posts, I asked if the interior color's swap was a good move, but it seems far more practical to get the car with beautiful black interiors from the beginning... ;)Very true, but it's always an option to consider if you're still looking, say, a year later. Probably better off finding a black interior though, since most DeLoreans have them.

Didn't think of this before, but one thing worth mentioning: seeing as it's winter here in the US, most DeLoreans that would otherwise be for sale have been winterized. Fluids stabilized and/or removed, batteries disconnected, stored away while winter passes. As the weather warms up, more and more DeLoreans will be for sale, coming out of this winterizing process, and those having previously listed DeLoreans for sale that have not been sold yet are more open to getting it out, taking pictures, test drives, and actually selling it. I suspect a large part of why you are having difficulty finding a DeLorean is due to the weather.

I could've sworn I remembered someone mentioning the winterizing thing, but I can't seem to find it :confused0: Anyways, one place to look that no one has mentioned yet is Chris Burn's Facebook page. I know of at least one owner in Europe who found his DeLorean from that page (now located in the UK). Here's a link: [link (https://www.facebook.com/DeloreansForSale)] Who knows, maybe you can find one there as well! :)

JohnZ
02-27-2013, 12:30 AM
I agree with the winter statement...anyway, I know the facebook page and I'm cheching it daily! It's useful, but let's take the last ad: 1983 Delorean in Houston, which is being solf for 14 grand. Well it looks like a pile of crap actually, it doesn't surely worth 14000 dollars. Maybe it is just dirty, I would ask him a load of photos if it had black interiors! I have to be careful there with the price thing...

;)

ALEXAKOS
02-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Just wanted to share my happiness with you. :lockdance:

I just purchased my project Delo! More info later.:thumbup2:

Hope you live your dream too soon!

LEVY
02-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Congratulations!

LEVY

JohnZ
02-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Alex, it's good to hear from you such good news! Did you take the one from Mr. Ierardi?

I will say something similar one day, I promise I will!

:thumbup2:

OverlandMan
02-28-2013, 08:50 AM

Pics, VIN, plans, etc? Welcome to the club. :raveon:

Silverbullet
02-28-2013, 01:30 PM

Congrats. I have a 72 Vette and love it, but I also have a blast with the D, most people don't understand... they always ask WHY I bought it.... I just thought it was neat... So Welcome! See my pic of my mid-life crisis....

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/AtHomeSoda/Csandd12_zpsfbab8307.jpg

JohnZ
02-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Oh c'mon you guys are making me envious!!

:smashfreak:

:D :D

Shep
02-28-2013, 06:09 PM

Hope you live your dream too soon!Congratulations! :biggrin: Make sure to post a restoration log in the General DeLorean Discussion forum (http://dmctalk.org/forumdisplay.php?2-General-DeLorean-Discussion) when you get it, with plenty of pictures. Years from now you'll look back and reminisce about the adventure you've taken since you first got it, and how far you've come since then. (Advice for when you get yours too, John! :) )

Jimmyvonviggle
02-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Congrats. I have a 72 Vette and love it, but I also have a blast with the D, most people don't understand... they always ask WHY I bought it.... I just thought it was neat... So Welcome! See my pic of my mid-life crisis....

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/AtHomeSoda/Csandd12_zpsfbab8307.jpg

Add Mila Kunis, or for you older guys, Farrah Fawcet, and you have every guys dream right there.

Silverbullet
02-28-2013, 07:35 PM
I always liked Jaclyn Smith better:thumbup2:....

ccurzio
03-01-2013, 07:23 AM
Kate Jackson, people. Come on.

ALEXAKOS
03-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Thank you guys for the wishes.
I do not wish to make this thread about me and it was honorably created by our italian friend.

Will rightfully open my own resto thread as a you have suggested.

As for Johny... make this promise to your self;) Do not wait for the "special someone"! Seize the day and grab your DeLorean TODAY!

Nice to see another Stingray in the club! Boy that car gives some head turns....
see my videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWApUkkuE-8

ALEXAKOS
03-01-2013, 03:10 PM
BTW that Vette was also fully restored by my self.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46bMwmq5yOo

JohnZ
03-04-2013, 03:56 PM
I'm keeping on with my (hard) search! I've been to Milan for a couple of days and I'm not so technological, therefore I was not so able to monitor the whole internet thing! Hopefully I did not lose any bargain!

Shep
03-04-2013, 08:12 PM
I'm keeping on with my (hard) search! I've been to Milan for a couple of days and I'm not so technological, therefore I was not so able to monitor the whole internet thing! Hopefully I did not lose any bargain!

:)If anything popped up for sale and then sold in the short time you were away, I'd honestly have to believe whoever bought it did so faster than you can say "overseas shipping". You certainly were not gone long :)

When the time is right, you'll find the right DeLorean for you! Patience, young padawan :yoda:

JohnZ
03-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Still searching... too bad mr. Josh DPI does not answer my emails, I wrote him several times and I think he could easily be a precious resource... it's a pity he totally ignores my messages.

Let's go forward anyway!

eagle-co94
03-27-2013, 09:25 AM
Let me know if you change your mind on what you're looking for. I have an '82 with front end damage (no frame damage) for sale.

Delorean Industries
03-27-2013, 09:41 AM
Giovanni,

The demand here in the states is extremely high. I'm not in the business of selling junk neglected cars and opt to provide a superior product. I could easily pull a restoration candidate out of storage and say "here you go". That is not how I do business. I know exactly what you are looking for and what you would like to spend. When the right car matching what you desire comes along you will be the first to know. I do virtually no advertising of cars we offer for sale because normally they already have a home lined up before I purchase and restore. Again I can dig into the bottom of the barrel if you would really like me to but they are rough and need a lot of attention.

In the mean while have you checked with other vendors to see what they may have available? I would love to make a sale happen but have nothing available to sell you at this point in good faith.

JohnZ
03-27-2013, 10:02 AM
All right I see your point, and I'm so very happy to hear that you're at least ALIVE! You know, in this search I feel happy just to know that someone out there answers to my questions! When I don't see no movement there... I feel so down hearted!

I'll use my email address for the technical issues... thanks Josh! Let's see if we can arrange something... I just needed to feel your "presence"!