PDA

View Full Version : Wheel stud specifications.

johan900
01-30-2013, 01:37 PM
Can anyone provide the specs. on the wheel stud ? I want to replace my existing ones with a 5-8mm longer ones due to thicker spacers. Summit has a few to choose from but i dont know witch one.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/department/wheels-tires/part-type/wheel-studs

Nicholas R
01-30-2013, 04:31 PM
I know the thread pitch is M12x1.75mm but I'm not sure what the length is. It wouldn't be too difficult to measure if you've got your tire off though.

Patrick C
01-30-2013, 04:40 PM
I needed the same info at one point and Toby Peterson was a world of help. Here is his email to me, hopefully he doesn't mind me reposting it:

"Patrick - I managed to do a bit of research for you, and the options are a
bit limited from what I can see. I would recommend that you contact ARP at
the following URL, and look into their part number 100-7718.

http://www.arp-bolts.com/catalog/Catalog.html

This part number has about the right knurl diameter (.565" (stock is
.568")), and the knurl length is .325" (stock is .31" without the added
shank). Thread form needs to be M12-1.50. The overall length (from the
bottom of the head) of this ARP bolt is 2.34", while stock is 1.73". This
gives you just a shade over 1/2" of added length.

The knurl diameter is a critical dimension that keeps the stud from spinning
when you tighten the lug nuts. If the knurl is too large a diameter, you
won't be able to press them into the hub. If they are too small, the stud
might spin. Within .003" seems to be about as close as you'll find. Some
Locktite might be a good idea during installation of the studs if a bit
"loose".

There might be other sources out there for extra long metric studs, but this
seemed to be the most obvious company for this sort of component. Good
luck, and please let me know what you find out.

Toby Peterson
DMC Northwest
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC"

Nicholas R
01-31-2013, 02:15 AM
I know the thread pitch is M12x1.75mm but I'm not sure what the length is. It wouldn't be too difficult to measure if you've got your tire off though.

I needed the same info at one point and Toby Peterson was a world of help. Here is his email to me, hopefully he doesn't mind me reposting it:

Wow, ok definitely dont listen to me. I had always assumed that being M12 size that they were the standard pitch. I stand corrected and will be more careful about posting misinformation, lol.

SS Spoiler
01-31-2013, 12:12 PM
Coming back to the twin cities from Ken's first DCS in Cincinnati we were tooling along at 10pm looking for a room in northern ILL., when all of a sudden my car started rattling and shaking. Yelling mayday, mayday on the CB we pulled off at the next off ramp. Walking around the car several times wondering what the problem was, someone shined a flashlight at my right rear wheel and noticed I was missing three lug nuts! Trying a roadside repair [did I mention it was drizzling?] we cobbled up a two-bolt fix that got me 100 feet down the road, no good and called AAA. Towing us to the next dinky town we checked in for the night. Getting up at 6:00am [it rained 4"] I saw an abandoned gas station next to the motel with a canopy! Limping over to it, I pulled the wheel and brake disk off. Had to borrow a large socket from a farmer at a coffee shop across the road," jus' give it to chuck th' cook 'n I'll pick it up nex' tahm ahm in tawn" Using a rock, a piece of old steel and a bolt, I beat the broken studs out. Meanwhile, Don Debolt and Bruce Benson were up, and a NAPA store had 4 studs that were two threads short but we had no choice. Putting it all back together we were back on the road by 10am. Why three studs broke without any warning, and one stud stayed on to keep the wheel from falling off we'll never know. AAhhhhh, the memories.......

Paul Cerny #2691
Kalispell, MT

protodelorean
01-31-2013, 05:46 PM
I had a nearly catastrophic lug failure last year. (Mine was caused by lugs coming loose and going unnoticed because they were inside of wheel spacers.) Freaked me out. So I went overkill with the replacements, upgrading to 3" long, 1/2", 200,000psi ARP racing studs.