PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Have funds, need DeLorean..

PeterBiggerstaff
02-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Hi Guys,

Please don't dismiss this as another "I want a cheap DeLorean in mint condition" thread!

I live in New Zealand, and am serious about importing a DeLorean from the USA. I've been doing the research for over 2 years now, so I know what you get for your money. So far I have saved $20,000NZD which equates to roughly $18,000USD although its going to cost me around $4000USD to import to NZ.

On top of this I'm currently working as much overtime as I can, meaning I am putting away around $1,200USD per fortnight, plus a little more on the first of each month when I get my overtime pay.

So as you can see, I have the funds ready to go, I don't need any finance and I'm not a time waster!

Ultimately I'd like to purchase a DeLorean for around $20,000USD but thought I'd put some feelers out ahead of time in case a project car comes up in the meantime that I can restore, perhaps something in the $10,000 to $18,000 line.

My only real criteria are:
Panels must be undamaged, as it is not economically viable to import new panels (nearly $1500USD per panel)
Must be a manual
Must be drivable (for importation reasons)
Interior must be complete, but condition is unimportant
I would consider a painted DeLorean if the above criteria are met.

Any other repair work weather it be Engine, Suspension, Interior etc. I can do myself.

The other factor is of course the importation itself, I need to be able to work with someone who has the patience for me to arrange the importation, which means ebay isn't a good place for me to be looking. Also there is the "trust" issue, which is why I'd perfer to work with a dealer, but if someone here can vouch for a seller, that's ok with me too. The worst thing in the world would be sending over my hard earned money then get nothing in return!

I am aware that the cheaper DeLoreans sell VERY fast as almost every time I contact someone about one, they have almost always sold within a few days of being posted, so again this comes down to someone who is willing to be patient with a serious overseas buyer.

ccurzio
02-11-2013, 08:06 PM
The best piece of advice I can offer you here and now is that people are going to be very, very cautious about doing business with someone overseas. Especially someone as new to the community as yourself.

I'm not saying you're actually a scammer and you don't come off as one at all, but just bear in mind that it's not always easy to buy a DeLorean and even harder when you're on a different continent.

Be patient and communicate well with your potential seller and you should do all right. Good luck.

Dangermouse
02-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Fwiw, I discovered Peter's DeLorean website independent of, and before he joined DMCTalk. he seems to be helping out a fellow NZ owner working on his car.

Of course I have never physically met him but he seems like a genuine guy.

Peter, you should probably start working out how you would ship a car from both the east and west coast and have all that info/contacts in place and ready to go which would make negotiations with a seller easier.

SIMid
02-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Peter, are you the one with the Kiwi Delorean page on FB?

Dangermouse
02-11-2013, 08:28 PM
I think so.

The one I was referring to is:

http://biggerstaff.co.nz/DeLorean/

SIMid
02-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Thanks Demot,

He's been wanting one for a very long time!! I hope he can locate one for the right price and condition. :)

As someone mentioned, will need to factor in freight costs from where the car is located to the departure port. Will either be LA or Long Island. Not sure what the regulations are with NZ, but it would be cost effective to speak to a few importers and see what cars they bring and the condition of the cars. Not like you will know how they left originally, but could give you an indication to their process.

I spoke to a few here and got a referral from a fellow D owner. They were great here, but I was suspicious with the handling over the pond.

Even though you have a budget to work from, there will always be something that will demand immediate attention that could be costly. Also, you will have to weigh up how much it will cost to get the car registered/engineered for the road. Wont be cheap either.

Not trying to scare you, more so an awareness to what you may have to face. You don't want to buy the car and have it sit there because you have to save funds gradually before doing additional work over a period of time. So my guess off the top of my head, you will probably needs tyres, headlight conversion and maybe seatbelts.

So take your time and you will find your Delorean! :)

Dangermouse
02-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Simon, maybe you would know this. Would a buyer of an US east coast car actually ship it from Long Island (to NZ) or would he have to transport it to the West Coast first?

I guess what I am asking is are there cargo ships between LI and NZ?

SIMid
02-11-2013, 09:27 PM
I know of an owner here who shipped his car from Long Island and took (I think) a few extra weeks if it came from CA, but it was cheaper as well.

Really depends how desperate you want the car in your hands! :lol:

I guess it will depend where the car is located and then, work out costs from where it should go to be shipped.

ArnieBrandon
02-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Simon, maybe you would know this. Would a buyer of an US east coast car actually ship it from Long Island (to NZ) or would he have to transport it to the West Coast first?

I guess what I am asking is are there cargo ships between LI and NZ?

Contact Toby Peterson at DeLorean Motor Company Northwest (DMCNW) Located in Bellevue, Washington, USA (Seattle area) ( at [email protected]. He has shipped quite a few cars to Australia/NZ (including one of mine). An EXTREMELY HONEST dealer who can fill your needs/desires without hesitiation, and you can be reasured of an honest deal.
Arnie Brandon
President, Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club (PNDC)
See www.pndc.org for further infomation

PeterBiggerstaff
02-11-2013, 09:42 PM
Hey Guys,

First of thanks for reading my post and taking the time to comment.

Yes, I am the owner of the Kiwi DeLorean Registry site, as well as the Kiwi DeLoreans facebook page.

I have had a few quotes from shipping companies, and the best service (ie what I get for my money) is McCullough’s (http://www.mmnz.biz/). For $5000NZD they will arrange pick-up in the US though a brokerage, loading, marine insurance, unloading, border inspection, fumigation and transport to my house.

My plan is to get the car to my garage, then start saving again to get all the red tape done to get it on the road, then start doing the restoration work from there. Of course I may need to do some work to get it road legal, but once I have it in the garage, there is really no rush. The reason for wanting to get it on the road before starting the restoration (apart from obvious impatience of "I have a DeLorean and want to show off" is that I have learned from previous restoration experience, its far easier to get parts and repair work done if you can just drive it to the shop!

I have a lot of car restoration experience and my dad has owned more Volvos that I can count, so knows the PRV V6 like the back of his hand.

I'm going to keep an eye on this forum, and I'm doing daily checks on several sites so hopefully something may come up soon.

SIMid
02-11-2013, 11:52 PM
Is the $5K including taxes upon arrival? In Australia, there was a charge for the importing itself, then GST, then Stamp Duty and some other BS taxes.

I'm sure you have researched to what you have to look for so no point typing it all out. Keep an eye on Chris Burns's page on FB! ;)

PeterBiggerstaff
02-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Hi Simon,

Actually GST isn't something that's mentioned in any of the importation documentation I've read so far, so just did some more digging.

Of course the government have to take its share of the original purchase, despite it not being purchased in NZ, so this raises the whole cost by yet another $2,000NZD!!

It might end up cheaper to actually move to the USA ;)

Bitsyncmaster
02-12-2013, 05:08 PM
How many Ds are in NZ? I know of one guy there that has bought most everything I sell but he is not a member here.

PeterBiggerstaff
02-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Hi Bitsyncmaster,

I have tracked around 15 at the moment, but there may be more hidden away that I don't know about.

You can see the full list on my registry site here:

http://biggerstaff.co.nz/DeLorean/

SIMid
02-13-2013, 05:19 PM
Which one had the personal plates "SIMON"?

It was for sale over 12 months ago.

PeterBiggerstaff
02-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Which one had the personal plates "SIMON"?

It was for sale over 12 months ago.

the new plate on that car is GBK571 VIN# 4894

SIMid
02-13-2013, 08:36 PM
the new plate on that car is GBK571 VIN# 4894

Stalker :lol: jk

You have managed to keep track of them!

PeterBiggerstaff
04-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Hi to all the DeLorean fans out there,

Just letting everyone know I'm still looking for a DeLorean, I came very very close to buying one from Copart in Minnesta, I even had the shipping company on standby, but I missed out in the last hours as someone else hit the "buy now" while I was trying to get the money across to my visa debit card for the deposit. I'm not sure how US banks work, but here money won't go from one account to another on weekends!

I've learnt a lot though the process though and am ready to do it all again knowing what questions to ask right off the bat this time!

The US exchange rate has changed a little since the last time I posted and Simon has reminded me of GST, I also have accurate shipping quotes so I have revised my budget and at the moment my budget is $10,000-$13,000USD for the DeLorean.

So if anyone knows of a DeLorean close to that budget (I'm still saving around $1000NZD-ish per fortnight) please let me know. Auction sites aren't really an option as by the time shipping is arranged and quotes provided, the item has either gone above my budget or someone's hit the buy now.

bigmac
05-07-2013, 09:24 AM
There is a guy Stan Turner in Palmerston North that has 2 D's and parts from a third.

The cars came into NZ when they were under 20 years old so have never been registered.I doubt if they will ever see the road while in his ownership.

He owns Turner Engineering and the last time I saw the cars they were sitting in a warehouse with stuff piled on top of them which is really sad.

A way to get them on the road would be to export them and re import them.Just has to go to the closest port outside NZ.

BTW could you change my rego to DMCXII

Cheers,

Fred

Andy
05-07-2013, 09:45 AM
A bit off topic here : just saw your list on DeLoreans in New Zealand, but there is one fault in it (that I know off): VIN#06759 belongs to a guy in Norway (since 1999, according to the owner) ...

Just wanted to let you know! Good luck with your search, I hope you find your dream DeLorean soon!

@Bigmac: any pictures of the 2 DeLoreans?

PeterBiggerstaff
05-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Thanks Andy, I'll remove this one from the list. Someone from DMC Huston gave me that info, so the car may have moved since their records were updated.

I've put my search for a DeLorean on the back burner for now, as every car I enquire about seems to have sold before it's even advertised on the net. Also my AMC never sold so it seems a waste to be spending my entire life savings on a DeLorean while the AMC sits and rots in my garage.

Dangermouse
12-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Aha.

I had read a few years ago about a black painted car on New Zealand and happened to come across a photo today

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=23390&d=1386187128

mud flaps FTW

SIMid
12-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Aha.

mud flaps FTW

On stock springs? If so, Rally Car! :cool1:

eldusto84
12-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Hi Peter, I know you are looking for a drivable Delorean but your revised budget of USD $10-13K might make things very difficult for you. It is unlikely that you'll find a car that fits all of your criteria in that price range. Aim between $16-20K and you might have a better shot. If that means waiting until spring until you've saved up more, that's OK. You'll probably have a lot more to choose from at that point anyways!

PeterBiggerstaff
01-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Hi Peter, I know you are looking for a drivable Delorean but your revised budget of USD $10-13K might make things very difficult for you. It is unlikely that you'll find a car that fits all of your criteria in that price range. Aim between $16-20K and you might have a better shot. If that means waiting until spring until you've saved up more, that's OK. You'll probably have a lot more to choose from at that point anyways!

I agree, I've been watching the price of DeLoreans slowly climb, I notice for a semi-decent one you are now looking $30k as opposed to $25k.

There was a DeLorean on Copart a while back which was selling for about $11k I think (it was a while ago) and after arranging shipping etc I went to purchase the car. To secure the car I had to put a deposit on it, but by the time the NZ banks had moved the money across to my VISA, the car had sold! I missed out by one day, so needless to say I became very dispondant for a while and DeLoreans went down in my list of priorities. I also bought a brand new Mitsubishi Lancer GSR with the money I'd saved for the DeLorean as my car was starting to get high in the milage.

I've since saved back up again, and am even willing to look at a little finance if needs be, So am back looking at DeLoreans for sale. Drivable cars are still an advantage due to the complications with shipping, but apart from that the only criteria is that it be a manual. I don't mind painted or even panel damage providing that the Frame is in ok condition.

Just really posting this in case anyone is thinking of selling their 'project' car or know of one going close to them. Its getting very hard for overseas buyers as a lot of websites (like ebay) don't allow overseas buyers any more.

As an example, this car would be perfect for me if it was manual:
http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981-dmc-delorean--c-2597.htm

Michael
01-26-2014, 07:59 PM
As an example, this car would be perfect for me if it was manual:
http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981-dmc-delorean--c-2597.htm

Those guys have some of the roughest DeLoreans for sale. I almost expect them to have the Crablorean up sooner or later.

OverlandMan
01-27-2014, 08:53 AM
Those guys have some of the roughest DeLoreans for sale. I almost expect them to have the Crablorean up sooner or later.

Not just DeLoreans but seems like most of the cars on their website are sizable projects. They seem to ask top dollar for these projects too.

They had a DeLorean with no engine or trans not long ago and they wanted close to $9k for it in that condition. :confused2:

eldusto84
01-27-2014, 10:38 AM
Peter, I am planning to sell my Delorean this spring if you are interested. I already listed it on Ebay once but the top bidder backed out, and I will probably wait to re-list until late March.

This isn't a project car, although it is not perfect either (how many Deloreans really are?). Here is a link to the thread I have on it in the For Sale section. If you are interested, send me a PM and we can talk details.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?8723-Preparing-to-sell-in-the-spring-1981-5spd-18k-miles-22k-range