PDA

View Full Version : For you Trekkies (and gamers) out there

DMC3165
06-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Suffering from a fair amount of TREK withdrawal I stumbled across this. I know this is way off the map as far as DeLoreans go but just thought i'd share it anyway enjoy,(sorry about the 16 sec ad in the beginning)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbh4g3qJ3vk&feature=player_embedded

jmrydholm
06-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Ah yes! As much as I prefer TNG over J.J. Abram's movie, this looks cool. Like Mass Effect and the Trek retcon. Should be interesting!

DMC3165
06-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Ah yes! As much as I prefer TNG over J.J. Abram's movie, this looks cool. Like Mass Effect and the Trek retcon. Should be interesting!

Agreed.....but at this point i'll take what I can get :biggrin:

jmrydholm
06-30-2011, 10:28 PM
I rebuilt my Windows XP system just so I could play Klingon Academy

Roman Legion
06-30-2011, 11:56 PM
I hate that g-d awful movie.. It was not Trek, just the Twilight approach to Star Trek.. Making Trek palatable to the masses.. I agree with L7.. "the masses are asses" Just teen sex, bare chested twats, zero plot and dumbed down with the added constant barrage of explosions..

DMC3165
07-01-2011, 05:24 AM
Being a life long die hard fan I have to admit TOS movies and TNG is where it peaked for me. Although I'm happy its back even in this Abrams Trek / Nu-prise version. The new storyline, ship dimensions, THOSE GOD AWFUL ENGINEERING SETS all could use a little tweaking. But its better then watching it fade into obscurity.

jmrydholm
07-01-2011, 09:36 AM
USS Kelvin was awesome. Very primitive, the engineering section almost looked like a dirty warehouse. That kind of reminded me of the TV show Enterprise. I didn't like what they did with the "new" Enterprise or it's bridge for that matter. The whole darn set was lit up with lens flares and white light like a Christmas tree.

Roman Legion
07-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Star Trek is not about teen sex or explosions, it is deeper than that.. It is a show that makes you question yourself and others, makes you stop and think; Morality, philosophy, science.. et cetera. The reason these people like it is because it has the stpuid things in it now that the imbeciles can connect to. It took every fibre of my being not to walk out and demand a refund.. I stayed and watched and told myself "It has to get better at some point.." It never did.. I have a bat'leth among much of my Trek based posessions in my room, reminder of true trek, rather than whatever this crap now is.

DMC3165
07-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Yeah i'll admit watching the 40 plus years of cannon get thrown out the window turned my stomach a little bit. But I haven't really watched XI in a while. I wouldn't be too harsh on it, it's the way everything is going nowadays.

Every time I get bored looking for a Trek flick to watch i still put on wrath of kahn or search for Spock. Because 30 years later I can't have one without the other and still can't decide which one I like better.

Roman Legion
07-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Yeah i'll admit watching the 40 plus years of cannon get thrown out the window turned my stomach a little bit. But I haven't really watched XI in a while. I wouldn't be too harsh on it, it's the way everything is going nowadays.

Every time I get bored looking for a Trek flick to watch i still put on wrath of kahn or search for Spock. Because 30 years later I can't have one without the other and still can't decide which one I like better.

Wrath of Khan is the best in my opinion.. I would use the popcorn smiley here, but I hate popcorn..

jmrydholm
07-01-2011, 02:10 PM
I hate the popcorn flavored jelly bean by Jelly Belly. I threw up in my mouth a little when I ate that.

lol but on topic, my personal fav. is also Wrath of Khan on blu-ray

Soundkillr
07-01-2011, 04:25 PM
I loved the abrams version, he is doing for star trek what bttf did for the delorean. I knew tons of people that hated the original movies but loved the newest movie. I really did enjoy the first redo, and am really looking forward to the second one...

Roman Legion
07-01-2011, 04:26 PM
lol but on topic, my personal fav. is also Wrath of Khan on blu-ray

I have yet to see it on Blu-ray.. I would like to see it in 3D.. Or at least the Battle of Mutara Nebula in 3D.. :wow:

he is doing for star trek what bttf did for the delorean.

Making a mockery of it?

jmrydholm
07-01-2011, 04:34 PM
I only have a 60hz TV, but it's 40" 1080p and well worth it! The Mutara Nebula battle is the greatest scene in that whole movie. :cool1: That's one thing I also loved about Klingon Academy- you can shoot the warp nacelles off the Miranda Class hehehe fun stuff! (It also left this cool DirectX 7 trailing green particle of "plasma" fire)

Roman Legion
07-01-2011, 04:37 PM
I only have a 60hz TV, but it's 40" 1080p and well worth it! The Mutara Nebula battle is the greatest scene in that whole movie. :cool1: That's one thing I also loved about Klingon Academy- you can shoot the warp nacelles off the Miranda Class hehehe fun stuff! (It also left this cool DirectX 7 trailing green particle of "plasma" fire)

Directx 7..? I wonder how it would look in 11.. I need more Star Trek Games, STO disappointed me greatly..

Soundkillr
07-01-2011, 04:43 PM
I have yet to see it on Blu-ray.. I would like to see it in 3D.. Or at least the Battle of Mutara Nebula in 3D.. :wow:

Making a mockery of it?

Go re watch star trek 1 & 5 and get back to me on the abrams film. Like it or not abrams version did very well in the theater, and has done really well on dvd sales. Most viewers likes it because you didnt have to be a trekkie to enjoy it.

Roman Legion
07-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Go re watch star trek 1 & 5 and get back to me on the abrams film. Like it or not abrams version did very well in the theater, and has done really well on dvd sales. Most viewers likes it because you didnt have to be a trekkie to enjoy it.

Re-watch them? I can quote most of the films and all of Star Trek II.. It did well because it is basically Twilight in space.. Sex sells, but that is not Trek! The new film is a testament to selling out to appease a larger audience of morons.. Take offense or not, I don't really care, but it is a terrible excuse for a movie; let alone anything trying to pass itself off as Star Trek.

Ryan
07-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Star Trek is not about teen sex or explosions, it is deeper than that.. It is a show that makes you question yourself and others, makes you stop and think; Morality, philosophy, science.. et cetera. The reason these people like it is because it has the stpuid things in it now that the imbeciles can connect to. It took every fibre of my being not to walk out and demand a refund.. I stayed and watched and told myself "It has to get better at some point.." It never did.. I have a bat'leth among much of my Trek based posessions in my room, reminder of true trek, rather than whatever this crap now is.

Re-watch them? I can quote most of the films and all of Star Trek II.. It did well because it is basically Twilight in space.. Sex sells, but that is not Trek! The new film is a testament to selling out to appease a larger audience of morons.. Take offense or not, I don't really care, but it is a terrible excuse for a movie; let alone anything trying to pass itself off as Star Trek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4pvEeQDIUA

Soundkillr
07-01-2011, 04:58 PM

Well I dont agree at all, and not gonna take offense either, because the numbers dont lie. The new film is about bringing new people and money to a dying franchise, like it or not, its bringing in money and new fans....

Roman Legion
07-01-2011, 04:58 PM

http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/

Soundkillr
07-01-2011, 04:59 PM

Btw ryan, that was awesome!!!

Jonathan
07-01-2011, 11:47 PM
A) That game looks awesome!!

B) Wrath of Khan has always been my favorite.

C) But the new Abrams Star Trek movie just moved into 2nd place... I loved it! (and was actually thinking about watching it again the other day coincidentally).

D) and for a quick off topic item --> if you want something to make you throw up in your mouth a little bit... go watch the trailer for the new Footloose movie. Now that's something that should have been left alone. Did movie makers in today's age just all of a sudden run out of any original ideas or something??

Kenny_Z
07-02-2011, 01:25 AM
The reason the Engineering section in Abram's Trek flick looked like a warehouse was because it was a warehouse. It was filmed in a beer brewery that got a coat of paint to look like a new ship.

Aside from that I did enjoy the movie and I loved the new take on the big E.

Rhsxo
07-02-2011, 07:54 PM
The game looks good, but I'm not expecting anything great. If past trek games are any proof, this game may bomb (hopefully not!).

I have been watching Star Trek since I was a kid and have enjoyed each series and movies in it's own way. The new JJ Abrams movie was good for the fact that I was able to drag my entire family to the theater with me and they all actually enjoyed it. I like the Beastie Boys but strongly feel that there music doesn't belong in a Star Trek film. I was a bit irritated about 2 things in that film.

1. Why was there no back story to Spock and Uhurra hooking up? It was really out of left field considering it is the "first" in a new line of movies. A bit of history would have been nice.

2. As the Enterprise was leaving Vulcan, they were at warp, Spock decides to drop Kirk off at the nearest planet which, as old Spock watches Vulcan explode, appears to be really close to this planet. if they were in a hurry to get to the bad guy, then why were they going so slow that they only got a planet away? Seemed like a lot of time had passed from departure to kicking Kirk off.

Wait a minute...why the F am I discussing the new Star Trek movie on a DeLorean forum?