PDA

View Full Version : DMCH 'Improved' rear view mirror

dmc4087
02-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Hi all,

I need a rear view mirror.

http://store.delorean.com/p-9779-mirror-int-rear-view.aspx

Any comments about this? Im a bit hesitant when I see DMCH Improved Part.

Thanks

Michael
02-13-2013, 12:04 PM
When it comes to items like a rear mirror...just about any mirror will work as long as you have the metal glass mount. If you have a concours vehicle I could understand a desire to find a factory mirror, but I seriously doubt it would affect the value of your car at all if you source a nice mirror from a car from the junkyard. In fact, several people upgrade their mirrors with more modern ones that feature map lamps or electronic dimming.

45 bucks plus shipping is a lot to pay for a mirror that could easily be sourced locally, not to mention shipping charges. In this case I believe "improved" means they found one that is widely available and probably fits the existing metal foot.

If having a stock mirror that nobody will notice is very important, you can shop around for a factory one, bit if I were you, I would check the local junkyards and find something close...just be sure to get the base.

dmc4087
02-13-2013, 01:07 PM
When it comes to items like a rear mirror...just about any mirror will work as long as you have the metal glass mount. If you have a concours vehicle I could understand a desire to find a factory mirror, but I seriously doubt it would affect the value of your car at all if you source a nice mirror from a car from the junkyard. In fact, several people upgrade their mirrors with more modern ones that feature map lamps or electronic dimming.

45 bucks plus shipping is a lot to pay for a mirror that could easily be sourced locally, not to mention shipping charges. In this case I believe "improved" means they found one that is widely available and probably fits the existing metal foot.

If having a stock mirror that nobody will notice is very important, you can shop around for a factory one, bit if I were you, I would check the local junkyards and find something close...just be sure to get the base.

Arran from the eurotec forum found this link:

http://autos.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews/message/9321

Should be able to find a good replacement in the UK then.

I'd prefer to have an original looking mirror - auto dimming etc would be nice but I think its a little out of place on the dmc.

SS Spoiler
02-13-2013, 01:12 PM
I remember an article in an early Delorean World magazine about installing one of those three foot long multi-faceted rear view mirrors. Covered all the blind spots and made driving safer.

DMCMW Dave
02-13-2013, 07:34 PM
The DMC replacement mirror looks almost identical to the original. If you look at them side by sided you will see some subtle differences. You should NOT glue the mirror to the glass, I've seen that done many times and it usually leads to breaking the glass. This may not happen with a smaller non-DMC mirror mounting pad but I wouldn't risk it. The DMC mirror comes with the correct double-sided 3M tape.

Shep
02-13-2013, 11:47 PM
I'd prefer to have an original looking mirror - auto dimming etc would be nice but I think its a little out of place on the dmc.For what it's worth, my DeLorean's had a generic mirror on it since at least '83, and I never would have known if I didn't come across some paperwork indicating it wasn't a DMC mirror. As long as it's just the mirror with no doodads like map lights, compasses, etc., no one will know the difference. Unless you've got an older car with one of those metal framed mirrors, any generic will fit the bill. Pick one of those black plastic ones up at your local auto parts store and you'll be fine. While you're there, get some double-sided 3M adhesive tape if you don't already have it, and use that to attach it rather than glue, as Dave recommended.

dmc4087
02-14-2013, 07:23 AM
An owner in England helped me out, he had a few spares from some old Fords which are the same.

DMCflux
02-14-2013, 03:38 PM
The DMC replacement mirror looks almost identical to the original. If you look at them side by sided you will see some subtle differences. You should NOT glue the mirror to the glass, I've seen that done many times and it usually leads to breaking the glass. This may not happen with a smaller non-DMC mirror mounting pad but I wouldn't risk it. The DMC mirror comes with the correct double-sided 3M tape.

I just installed my replacement mirror from DMCMW and I am extremely happy with my purchase. The PO had an aftermarket mirror which would not adjust enough after installing my reproduction fiberglass headliner (DMCH). The new mirror base fit perfect inside the blacked out box on the windshield, and now I can see out the back!!

thirdmanj
02-14-2013, 04:41 PM
I wonder if anyone has some pictures of what can happen when a mirror is glued in rather than taped.

bikergurl2000
02-14-2013, 04:45 PM
I wonder if anyone has some pictures of what can happen when a mirror is glued in rather than taped.

Bill claims to have glued his mirror to his windshield and is not having any problems at all.

I however used a cheap adhesive pad that I purchased from eBay. I if remember correctly it cost me about a dollar (maybe 2) including shipping.

thirdmanj
02-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Bill claims to have glued his mirror to his windshield and is not having any problems at all.

I however used a cheap adhesive pad that I purchased from eBay. I if remember correctly it cost me about a dollar (maybe 2) including shipping.
I'm just trying to figure out how the glue cracks the glass. Tape uses glue right? If there was any expansion the mirror would just move a little out. There's no pressure on the glass. :/ I'm sure I'm missing something.

So are you and Bill dating?

bikergurl2000
02-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Using an adhesive pad ensures the weight against the windshield is spread evenly. Remember you are putting a lot of weight on a very tiny space.

Using glue is not the best way to do it because there is no guaranty it will spread evenly. This results in putting a high concentration of pressure on a smaller area of glass. That's what causes cracks.

Glue seems to work for Bill but as for myself, I use a glue pad.

Jack
02-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Using an adhesive pad ensures the weight against the windshield is spread evenly. Remember you are putting a lot of weight on a very tiny space.

Using glue is not the best way to do it because there is no guaranty it will spread evenly. This results in putting a high concentration of pressure on a smaller area of glass. That's what causes cracks.

Glue seems to work for Bill but as for myself, I use a glue pad.

Digging the avatar.

Michael
02-14-2013, 07:10 PM

Ahhh, now this account is starting to make sense. Hi Steve

Rhsxo
02-14-2013, 07:12 PM
I remember an article in an early Delorean World magazine about installing one of those three foot long multi-faceted rear view mirrors. Covered all the blind spots and made driving safer.

They installed one of these?

I remember my brother had a truck in the late 80's that had one of these. I didn't know they still made them.

Do you have a picture of that DeLorean? It would be funny to see.

DMCMW Dave
02-14-2013, 07:27 PM
I'm just trying to figure out how the glue cracks the glass. Tape uses glue right? If there was any expansion the mirror would just move a little out. There's no pressure on the glass. :/ I'm sure I'm missing something.

So are you and Bill dating?

You will see a crack in the glass right around the mirror pad. After a while it wil take off straight up and down. The mirror pad is alumimum painted black and the glass is , well, glass. When it gets hot the aluminum expands more than the glass and the glue is so strong it cracks or tears the glass. I've seen a bunch of them, one in the shop now (photo attached). Using the mirror pad allows for the tiny bit of expansion.

If you don't believe me, go ahead and glue one. We have lots of windshields now.

I'll bet Bill glued a Ford mirror to his windshield. The Ford pad is much smaller and is steel so it probably works. But don't come crying to me if it doesn't, cry to Bill or Steve or whoever we are talking to this month. The real problem is gluing a DMC mirror to the glass.

bikergurl2000
02-14-2013, 07:54 PM
But don't come crying to me if it doesn't, cry to Bill or Steve or whoever we are talking to this month. The real problem is gluing a DMC mirror to the glass.

Ive got no clue who this Steve is. My name is Jenny Plaat. Anyway, I wouldn't do the glue thing either. Bill did it but like Dave said, Bill is probably doing something else special to make it work.

I'm using an adhesive pad and would't do it any other way. Windshields are too freaking expensive to end up replacing due to someone trying to save 50 cents.

On another note, those adhesive pads are so much easier and cleaner to use than glue as well.

Bitsyncmaster
02-14-2013, 07:58 PM
My guess is our glass takes so much stress because it's a structural part of the roof. That flexing of the glass with a solid glued mirror just will start stress cracks.

DMCflux
02-14-2013, 09:09 PM
I attached my mirror with the convenient self adhesive 3m tape that was supplied from DMCMW. I appreciate and am thankful for the FREE advice that Dave takes the time to give outside of running his business. He has obviously been around this vehicle and worked on probably hundreds to know there faults and areas of improvement.

thirdmanj
02-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Yikes. I understand now. Thanks for the specifics on that, and the pic!

Ahhh, now this account is starting to make sense. Hi Steve

Yeah they're dating or something, I'm sure of it. Hey Jenny, say high to Bill from me next time you see him.

Btw, What kinda bikes you ride?

DMCflux
02-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Yikes. I understand now. Thanks for the specifics on that, and the pic!

Yeah they're dating or something, I'm sure of it. Hey Jenny, say high to Bill from me next time you see him.

Btw, What kinda bikes you ride?

I'm lost...

thirdmanj
02-14-2013, 09:47 PM
I'm lost...

Try Google Maps.

DMCflux
02-14-2013, 10:11 PM
:
Try Google Maps.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Shep
02-15-2013, 12:45 AM
Ive got no clue who this Steve is. My name is Jenny Plaat. Anyway, I wouldn't do the glue thing either. Bill did it but like Dave said, Bill is probably doing something else special to make it work.

I'm using an adhesive pad and would't do it any other way. Windshields are too freaking expensive to end up replacing due to someone trying to save 50 cents.

On another note, those adhesive pads are so much easier and cleaner to use than glue as well.So... you just happen to know of Bill, who's done all kinds of weird shit with his DeLorean and is a gigantic drama queen of douchebaggery, and out of all the threads on this forum to get started out on, you go with.... a want ad for a rearview mirror. Isn't this the same exact story as that "davidbrooks" account? Saying they know Steve and/or Bill and showing intimate knowledge of such, claiming to have never heard of the other one... and now gender bending. You have some weird alter egos man, seriously. You might want to consider Broadway, I've heard they're big on theatrical impersonations.

Anyways, glad you found a mirror that works for you! If our windshields weren't so structural, a buffer between the mirror and the glass wouldn't be necessary. Frankly I can't say I've seen any other kind of car with a cracked windshield from the rearview mirror, but I can certainly say I've seen plenty of DeLoreans with that problem! Glad you didn't go with the three-foot mirror approach. Those things look like ass :thumbdown: Functional, perhaps, but they invented side mirrors for a reason.

john 05141
02-15-2013, 03:45 AM
Increadible the glass cracks when you glue it. I do not see the logic, but I have heard that too.

Why would you hesitate from a DMC improved part? I welcome parts to be updated to modern cars. But from an improved rear view mirror, I would have expected a built in compas or so.
If I can find one of those as an easy replacement I would buy it.

Jan

DMC5180
02-17-2013, 11:01 AM
You will see a crack in the glass right around the mirror pad. After a while it wil take off straight up and down. The mirror pad is alumimum painted black and the glass is , well, glass. When it gets hot the aluminum expands more than the glass and the glue is so strong it cracks or tears the glass. I've seen a bunch of them, one in the shop now (photo attached). Using the mirror pad allows for the tiny bit of expansion.

If you don't believe me, go ahead and glue one. We have lots of windshields now.

I'll bet Bill glued a Ford mirror to his windshield. The Ford pad is much smaller and is steel so it probably works. But don't come crying to me if it doesn't, cry to Bill or Steve or whoever we are talking to this month. The real problem is gluing a DMC mirror to the glass.

+ 1

I'm curious though, are you saying that everyone of those cracked windshields you've seen had an improperly glued mirror? Seems like an extremely high number of mirrors to have fallen off or removed and re-attached. Surely the OEM method of attachment wasn't somewhat flawed to begin with :umm:. Either that or there has been a high number of replaced windshields over the years due to road hazard damage.

Windshield replacement due to Road hazard rock chip damage would certainly explain a fair number of those improperly installed mirrors. Admittedly, I had the infamous cracked mirror myself on PO installed replacement windshield. You saw that one when the IR glass was installed. We knew it was replacement glass by the way it was installed (wrong adhesive) and missing the DMC on the lower corner of the glass even though it was made by SEKURIT.

DMCMW Dave
02-17-2013, 11:07 AM
+ 1

I'm curious though, are you saying that everyone of those cracked windshields you've seen had an improperly glued mirror? Seems like an extremely high number of mirrors to have fallen off or removed and re-attached. Surely the OEM method of attachment wasn't somewhat flawed to begin with :umm:. ...

Yes but - to me a piece of tape that failed sometime over the past 30 years is probably within the original design expectations. I would not call it a design flaw. I've seen glued mirrors fall off of Fords. If the tape is good for 10 -15 years, just replace it.

I'm sure that the technology of tape and/or adhesives has come a long way in 30 years too.

Ron
02-17-2013, 11:13 AM
FWIW- I've seen several with a pad and cracked all the way around it (similar to the) pic, including one here now...

elfking
02-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Mine came with no rear view mirror... I was going to source a dimming one from the junk yard and install it... After seeing this cracking stuff not so sure I may just run with none!

DMCMW Dave
02-17-2013, 12:02 PM
FWIW- I've seen several with a pad and cracked all the way around it (similar to the) pic, including one here now...

If someone glues a OEM mirror to the glass it can look like there is a pad in place due to the black square laminated to the glass. I've never seen a broken glass with the mirror properly attached.

Also - at this stage of the game you really don't know the history of the car. Did someone break it and then use the pad? Vice versa?

thirdmanj
02-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Stuff seems to be missing from this thread.

DCUK Martin
02-17-2013, 12:31 PM
The DeLorean mirror is a european Ford unit. Sierra, Granada, early Scorpio, early Mondeo. I've had scrapyard spares from them all. I don't doubt DMC are sourcing theirs new from Ford.

The discussion of glue versus sticky pad is a non-event this side of the pond where spare sticky pads can be bought in any petrol station - not because they're unreliable but because every second car's mirror is mounted in this way. You must use the proper thing because regular foam adhesive pads make the mirror bounce around.

The purpose of the sticky pad is not only to protect the glass against differential expansion, but also to protect the glass against accidentially knocking the mirror. I wonder if Bill would like to try knocking his mirror off?

Ron
02-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Stuff seems to be missing from this thread.
Someone must have mistaken it as a For Sale thread...:rolleyes:

videobob
02-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Here is what I installed into my diesel truck along with a cheap $20 camera mounted on the license plate.
Works great!!!
This would be perfect for a Delorean too!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Car-Rearview-Mirror-Monitor-DVD-VCR-VCD-Backup-Camera-HD-Wide-Screen-USstock-/221183328232?pt=US_Car_Monitors_w_o_Player&hash=item337f8dbfe8

outatym2001
02-23-2013, 04:19 AM

Already done that.

DeLorean Cracked Windshield
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?368-DeLorean-Cracked-Windshield

Same thing AGAIN.

thirdmanj
02-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Already done that.

Same thing AGAIN.

Thanks bro. Nice of you to link that in. But you're too late to impress me with your DMCTalk search skills. My questions were already answered by others in this thread (or didn't you notice that in your attempts to convey your annoyance with a repeat question). Happens all the time. Chill.

jackb
02-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Here is what I installed into my diesel truck along with a cheap $20 camera mounted on the license plate.
Works great!!!
This would be perfect for a Delorean too!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Car-Rearview-Mirror-Monitor-DVD-VCR-VCD-Backup-Camera-HD-Wide-Screen-USstock-/221183328232?pt=US_Car_Monitors_w_o_Player&hash=item337f8dbfe8
I feel like that would take up a distractingly large portion of the view out the windshield, it's pretty big.
I've seen normal size mirrors with a screen inside it that only displays when on, those look great, but there are so many available it's hard to know what's crap and what works well.

outatym2001
03-02-2013, 04:01 AM
Thanks bro. Nice of you to link that in. But you're too late to impress me with your DMCTalk search skills. My questions were already answered by others in this thread (or didn't you notice that in your attempts to convey your annoyance with a repeat question). Happens all the time. Chill.

Okay, sorry for being late to the party and posting a link to my thread which already has your answer which you are unable to locate. It's the kind of people like you who are all over the forum posting stupid S*** constantly and not paying attention to all the factual things people are posting to help each other out.
PLEASE sell your DeLorean soon so you can jump on some other car forum and bug them with your daily postings about something close to nothing.
Hear I go annoying myself with an off topic discussion which I don't understand people who keep on doing that.
Stay on topic or stay off the forum.
If I was the one paying to keep this forum active I would limit everyone to no more than one post a day. That I hope would cut down on all the useless chatter.
And, you're welcome.

P.S. Here are web sites where you can post your DeLorean for sale for free.
http://ebayclassifieds.com
http://www.anamera.com
http://dmctalk.org/forumdisplay.php?10-DeLorean-Cars
http://www.cars.com you can post an ad for free for twenty one days.

Good luck on the sale of your D soon.

thirdmanj
03-02-2013, 08:08 AM
Okay, sorry for being late to the party and posting a link to my thread which already has your answer which you are unable to locate. It's the kind of people like you who are all over the forum posting stupid S*** constantly and not paying attention to all the factual things people are posting to help each other out.
PLEASE sell your DeLorean soon so you can jump on some other car forum and bug them with your daily postings about something close to nothing.
Hear I go annoying myself with an off topic discussion which I don't understand people who keep on doing that.
Stay on topic or stay off the forum.
If I was the one paying to keep this forum active I would limit everyone to no more than one post a day. That I hope would cut down on all the useless chatter.
And, you're welcome.

P.S. Here are web sites where you can post your DeLorean for sale for free.
http://ebayclassifieds.com
http://www.anamera.com
http://dmctalk.org/forumdisplay.php?10-DeLorean-Cars
http://www.cars.com you can post an ad for free for twenty one days.

Good luck on the sale of your D soon.
:cry: I'm so sorry to have distressed you so! Please find it in your heart to forgive me!

darylfelsberg
03-11-2013, 12:45 AM
Which 3M dbl sided tape do we use? The stuff I found at autozone didn't look it would cut it.

DMC5180
03-11-2013, 09:59 AM
Which 3M dbl sided tape do we use? The stuff I found at autozone didn't look it would cut it.

Their are various 3M double sided tapes with different Adhesion properties for specific uses.

Stick with the stuff supplied by the DMC affiliates if your mounting a Rear View Mirror. 3M Emblem Tape (grey) is fine if your re-attatching Rub strips and things like that.