PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Intermittent relay wiring

Bitsyncmaster
05-24-2011, 07:59 PM
I had a 400 ohm ground wire on the fan relay connector. I pulled the whole string of ground wires on the front relay bank. Measuring again I could not get that 400 ohms so the crimp on one pin with these double wires was intermittent.

FYI:
There are 7 required grounds for the front relay bank. One ground (the center pin on the fan relay is not used). This "daisy chain" of ground wires does run back to the large ground bundle with one wire. The wires are 19-20 AWG (circular mills is right between those two sizes).

This is just a clue to those that experience intermittent electrical problem. I've heard a few about the fans (that ground is at the end of the string).

Bitsyncmaster
05-25-2011, 07:31 AM
I made up a new ground cable consisting of seven short 16 AWG wires and on long 16 AWG wire. If your do this, make up the cable on the bench. It's very hard to get a good job of connecting those 8 wires working in the relay compartment. I used a 6 AWG barrel to crimp the 8 wires together and then soldered them into the barrel.

It's very hard to get reliable crimps with two wires into the relay connector pins. If you do it that way the largest wire would be 18 AWG. That is why I went with one wire crimps to a butt connection.

One other thing I noted with the factory crimps is some of them had the wire inserted to far up the terminal. So those terminals would push out of the relay socket if you used excessive pressure installing the relay.

All the factory crimps looked good on inspection so I don't know how I got that bad connection in one crimp. I tried to solder one factory crimp and got marginal results. The bare copper wire and terminal oxide make solder not flow properly.