PDA

View Full Version : Rear shocks from the cross over list

Mydmc5898
02-20-2013, 01:03 PM
We bought the Monroe shocks and the lip that is in the original isn't on the Monroe. Also the collar is too small for the Monroe shock.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
I'm in need of help!!!

Thanks in advance!
Darryl

DMCMW Dave
02-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions?
I'm in need of help!!!

Thanks in advance!
Darryl

Buy the right shocks. To use the Monroes you need to fabricate a friction collar. Monroe is very inconsistent in size so nobody will sell the collar by itself.

Mark D
02-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Yeah the few extra bucks you have to spend buying shocks from a vendor will be well worth the headache you'll save trying to fabricate parts to make a 'crossover' shock work. Parts you get from the vendors will already be set up to bolt on without need for modifications. I think the SPAX shocks from DMCH / DMCMW are a good choice. And they have adjustability for both ride height and damping settings to dial in the ride to your own personal preference.

But it sounds like you've already got a set of monroe shocks in hand ...Unless someone here knows exactly how to modify them to fit I'd look into just returning them so you can go buy a different set.

DMCMW Dave
02-20-2013, 03:37 PM
One other thing - we've removed a couple of the Monroe sets, and I even ran them on my own car years ago. I've found that for some reason when used on a DeLorean they seem to last less than 5000 miles. I don't know if this is peculiar to putting them on a DeLorean and crushing them with the friction collar, or they are just crappy shocks.

Mydmc5898
02-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Hard part about using parts from DMCH etc... Is that my car is at work. And the policy is Firestone has to buy the arts and install them.

I would rather use DeLorean parts that have been tested and approved by vendors.

I will see what I can do.

Thanks for the help/tips!

Darryl

Dangermouse
02-20-2013, 10:16 PM
If i may ask, do you mean that you work for Firestone, or there is a Firestone store near your place of employment where you get your auto work done?

Mydmc5898
02-21-2013, 06:50 AM
Sorry, I was rushing when I wrote that.

I work at a firestone store,

Darryl

pgringo
02-24-2013, 09:44 PM
One other thing - we've removed a couple of the Monroe sets, and I even ran them on my own car years ago. I've found that for some reason when used on a DeLorean they seem to last less than 5000 miles. I don't know if this is peculiar to putting them on a DeLorean and crushing them with the friction collar, or they are just crappy shocks.

Answer: Monroe are just crappy shocks.

If bilstein or koni are available I would recommend either. They're worth the extra $.

Marty
03-09-2013, 12:16 PM
I have Bilstein's on the rear of my car, but they are looking old and the bushings have rotted away. I've talked to Bilstein a few times, and sent pictures including the number stamped into the shock itself, and they have no record of it and can't match it.

DMC5180
03-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Back in the 80's, One of the DMC Aftermarket vendors (advertising in Delorean World mag.) sold complete sets of Bilsteins. I'm sure they were not DMC spec per say, but rather a will fit package he put together.

TTait
03-10-2013, 03:22 PM
The lower bushings on the shocks need to be able to take the abuse from bearing the weight of the car, not a typical application for many of the aftermarket shocks. If the shocks don't have a collar support built into them, then they were not generally intended to endure the punishment our setup will give them.