PDA

View Full Version : Condenser Install

Evildeli
07-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Hey guys, I got a new condenser to install. I've been toying with the idea of either sending it off to a mechanic, or seeing if the DCF club is interested in installing it with me. I know 4th of July weekend is out of the question, but maybe some weekend in July. Anyone interested?

Mike C.
07-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Sounds fun, but moving my mom to NC later this month, so my weekends are pretty much full. Sorry cap'n!

Morpheus
07-01-2011, 06:12 PM
I have never done this before, but I will eventually end up doing it on mine so I'm in. I don't suppose your garage is air conditioned, is it?

Evildeli
07-06-2011, 10:21 AM
First off, my garage does not have ac, but you've been there before when we worked on the electrical and transmission. In the meantime I'm still talking to mechanics. I've already talked to James Espey who confirmed replacing the condenser takes about 3 hours. Here's my breakdown;

1. Mechanic #1. Diagnosed the issue after an inspection. Also has all the seals to fix the other leak near the dryer. Was suppose to call back after research into labor and procedure. I had to call him after no call back. Took 2 weeks to get him on the phone. May have been an issue where he was out of town on personal matters. Told me he'd finally get the research done and call me back. He still hasn't.

2. Mechanic #2. Would also do research and get back to me. I had to call them back after 2 weeks. They said it's no problem. Their rate is 79.50 and hour. I told them with replacing the condenser (3 hour) and vacuum(1 hour) and test, it should be around a 4 hour job. They said it will be all day. I replied, it should only be 4 hours. They reiterated, all day. I'm afraid they wanna charge me for an all day job.

3. Mechanic #3. I called for first time this morning. They're an import/euro shop. Their rate is 75.00 and hour. They didn't hesitate. They asked when I wanted to bring it in.

Here's what I'm thinking (or overthinking). I'd love to do the work ourselves, but I need to buy more seals. Plus after we're done, it still needs a vacuum and charge, so I'm ending up at a shop anyways. Now I would really like to go back to Mech #1 since he diagnosed the work, but I can't get the guy to commit. #2 sounded good up until they insisted it was an all day job, and I'm not paying all day for a half day. Mech #3 sounds good, but makes me wonder if they'll pull and "all day job" too. Just the fact that they didn't talk about research makes me hesitant. Does it mean they're confident, or will accept any job? So I need your opinion guys. What should I do? DCF, mech 1, mech 2, or mech 3? I need to make this a poll ;)

T_Stanley
07-06-2011, 01:07 PM
I would go with DCF. At least you will have peace of mind that the job will be done right

chef4u
07-07-2011, 02:45 AM
I agree, I have mine done over there. To this day, its still working. You get what you paid for.

Morpheus
07-07-2011, 09:29 AM
I would go with DCF. At least you will have peace of mind that the job will be done right

To my knowledge, nobody in the club (who has shown interest in assisting) has done this job yet. So essentially, it would be a learning experience for all of us.

John, it's up to you. If you have the $$ to have a shop handle it and would rather save the sweat and wrench time for something else, it's ok with me. I have this same job to do on my car, however it will happen after I separate the body and frame.

Just my .02

Evildeli
07-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Yeah Brandon, there's pros and cons to all the options. I would love for us to do it, however as you mentioned we haven't done it before. But if we do it, when it comes time for your D, it'll be that much easier. After we do all the work, it still needs a good vacuum and charge, so I still have to take it back to a shop. BUT if we do it, I could save the money on labor and buy the new fans that I've wanted. You know, knock that out at the same time since we're down there.

If you're still on board, this weekend coming up, 9-10, is booked. What weekends work for you? And of course everyone else is still invited, even to just watch. We'll do a cook out, make it an informal tech session if anyone is interested. I would still like to do this job this month, but if other people are interested in coming, we could push this to August (when it's even hotter:thumbup:)

stevedmc
07-07-2011, 10:20 AM
To my knowledge, nobody in the club (who has shown interest in assisting) has done this job yet. So essentially, it would be a learning experience for all of us.

John, it's up to you. If you have the $$ to have a shop handle it and would rather save the sweat and wrench time for something else, it's ok with me. I have this same job to do on my car, however it will happen after I separate the body and frame.

Just my .02

I'm tired of going to shops and having them mess up. I would just do the work yourself and know it was done right. I am about 4 or 5 hours from Pensacola. Depending on where you live I would offer to come out and do the work for free.

Evildeli
07-07-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm thinking you're looking at around 10-11 hour drive. I'm between Orlando and Daytona.

stevedmc
07-07-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm thinking you're looking at around 10-11 hour drive. I'm between Orlando and Daytona.

Ouch. I do need a road trip but 10 hours is a little far for me.

Morpheus
07-07-2011, 01:36 PM
...if we do it, when it comes time for your D, it'll be that much easier...

Without the body in the way, it'll be even easier than that! :biggrin:

If you're still on board, this weekend coming up, 9-10, is booked. What weekends work for you? And of course everyone else is still invited, even to just watch. We'll do a cook out, make it an informal tech session if anyone is interested. I would still like to do this job this month, but if other people are interested in coming, we could push this to August (when it's even hotter:thumbup:)

I'm busy the next 2 weekends, but we can tentatively schedule it for the weekend after.

TheDon
07-07-2011, 10:54 PM
I'm down! Just let me know in advance so that I can make it work with my schedule

Evildeli
07-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Which weekend works better for you guys, the 23rd-24th or 30th-31st?

Evildeli
07-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Well, while you guys are still thinking about the dates, I'm still doing some research. I've found that the local Auto Zone rents a vacuum for a deposit of $300. I get my money back when I return it, so it sounds like a great deal, however I've never used one before and they don't offer instructions. I would like to assume it's as simple as hooking the right hoses up to the right ports, but who knows what could go wrong.

I talked to mechanic #1 again, and they finally told me they couldn't find any documentation on how to do the work, and so they wanted me to try another mechanic, but I told them the DCF is going to do it instead. He's still willing to do the vacuum and ac charge for $150 though. Although that puts me out more money, it would cut out the potential problems created by doing the vacuuming myself.

Okay, so in the meantime, although I would like to get the new fans, I think I need to get a fuel accumulator since I think it's more important to have a running car, instead of a car with low voltage, but can't start. If you guys wanna tackle that too, I could get the part. Also I might need some better tools to reach the hoses better in those tight spots. I also need more seals. I put a call to Hervey, but he hasn't responded and I just saw a post where his message box could be full. I saw a bag of seals for $5 at Auto zone, so I think we'll be good either way.

Alright, so here's the new poll;
1. when is everyone available
2. Do we wanna handle the vacuum ourselves
3. Do we wanna tackle the accumulator too

Morpheus
07-15-2011, 08:58 PM
1. Next 2 weekends are still open for me at the moment.
2. Never done it, not sure how.
3. Never done it, heard it's easy.

Evildeli
07-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Wanna shoot for the 23rd than? I'm ordering the accumulator from Hervey today so we get it by this weekend. I also need to pick up a set up stubby wrenches. If you guys wanna bring some tools that you think might help us out too, don't hesitate (working around the dryer can be a real bitch). We can also run down to the store if need be.

DMCBRANDON5873
07-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Hey guys I just noticed this thread, I just moved to orlando last week and I wouldn't mind coming to this little meet if that's ok, i'll be a little help to this project because im far from being a mechanic but it will be cool to meet other D people in the area, ill bring 5873 with me to thanks Brandon

Evildeli
07-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Every hand helps. You're more than welcomed to come.

Morpheus
07-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Wanna shoot for the 23rd than? I'm ordering the accumulator from Hervey today so we get it by this weekend. I also need to pick up a set up stubby wrenches. If you guys wanna bring some tools that you think might help us out too, don't hesitate (working around the dryer can be a real bitch). We can also run down to the store if need be.

Sounds good, what time do you want to get started?

Evildeli
07-20-2011, 10:17 AM
I was thinking we start around 10am and work to lunch. We could either grill, or take a break and go out. Then come back and finish the work. I got a 4 year old, so I'll be up after 7am, anyways and so if you guys get here early, it won't be a problem. I'm also looking at buying some stubby wrenches for the accumulator if I get the part by Saturday. If you guys have any tools that will help, please bring them. My address is;

440 Marathon Lane
Sanford, FL

Evildeli
07-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks Brandon and Brandon (:blush:) for the help. I think the work went pretty smooth and I'm very happy to say that the only bolts that broke were on the old condenser, although it would have been nice if the top (stupidly hard to reach) studs had broken instead. All in all, it was a good day's work.

Morpheus
07-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Not a problem, glad to help out. Sorry I couldn't stay till the bitter end, I didn't think it would take as long as it did.