PDA

View Full Version : For Sale VIN 812 for sale in Syosset, NY

Rob Greenhaw
03-01-2013, 11:20 AM
I noticed this earlier while perusing Cargurus and wanted to share the link.

Car is not mine and I have no further information than what the link provides; I just wanted to make the community aware of a low VIN car on the market.

The exterior looks nice, but there aren't any interior shots, which makes me wonder, and through the window appears to have a black interior while the description says grey.

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourc eContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&embedType=NONE&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=m97&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&uncached=false&showInactive=false&newCarsOnly=false&useInventoryService=true&name=entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity&includeAllModelsOption=false&carsWithRegressionOnly=false&ign-makerId-entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=m97&heading=All+Years&ign-modelId-entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=Select+Model&includeUnknownTrimOption=false&carsWithRegressionOnly=false&zip=35601&distance=NATIONWIDE&modelChanged=true&searchChanged=true&sortType=DEAL_RANK&sortDirection=ASC#listing=44871015

Dangermouse
03-01-2013, 11:59 AM
From their website

http://www.exoticclassics.com/used-details/NY/1981/DeLorean/DMC-12/Long-Island-/65/1505/-9999/2506325

interior is definitely black.

http://images.nexteppe.com/images/vehicles/1612/SCEDT26T5BD000812_23.jpg

BABIS
03-01-2013, 12:07 PM
it seems to be a super nice car!

JohnZ
03-01-2013, 12:34 PM
I would like to know more about the car and the price, but I can't insert my telephone number since I don't "spell" my phone number 3 digits per time! Therefore I can't send any emails to them...:angry:

But the dealer reviews leave me doubtful, such as:

Prices are higher on all their cars.

High prices - no desire to deal at all. Professional and courteous.

salesman very nice, however... they are rediculously high on their pricing. Salesman tried rationalizing, but unless these guys are lining the doors with gold, they aren't in the ballpark with the rest of the country.

That's a pity. The vehicle is a state of the art Delorean (from what I get from the pics). For this reason the price will be sooo much higher than I can imagine.

Kukem
03-01-2013, 02:24 PM
I've contacted them. They are higher priced an not willing to negotiate. It was early last year. I think it was in the Low $30Ks if I recall. I don't think I kept the email as it was a dead end for me.

Jonathan
03-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Buyer beware of course, but I'll offer my observations on the ad. Do with the suggestions whatever you wish :)

1st lesson after buying my car from a classic car dealership similar to this one: don't ever assume a photo of the car was "coincidentally" cropped or zoomed to "not quite show" a certain detail or angle of the car. I've looked back at the 60+ pictures of my car from that ad and almost every one was taken just so in order to not show certain details. Again, buyer beware and I have no experience with this dealership in particular.

- Potential stainless damage of some kind on drivers door below key cylinder

- No blue nor red dot on engine bay firewall. No deice shield shown. Assumption for me would be that no updates have been done. Likely no front end recall done, throttle spool recall, original coolant bottle is there, likely the fuses and relays are original. Fuse and relay area would need to be inspected as there is no photo.

- Why is coolant temp shown almost up to the 220 mark? That seems high to me and I would confirm the cooling fans/system are working properly. Again, fan fail wiring update likely not done (guess).

- Left side steering column stock does not look to be at the proper angle. It may just be pushed into the "right turn" position, or it could have been whacked with a knee and bent that way.

- Ash tray looks used. Are there burn marks from cigarettes in the sunvisors?

- Not one frame picture which that alone gets the spidey senses going. Fuel tank closing plate? Front frame extension rust? Proceed at your own risk there.

- No floor mats (not that important, I know, just mentioning).

- Drivers door seal lower side near bolster is out of place. Reason for this?

- Assumption is this car has a windshield antenna as one is not seen anywhere else (right fender nor back left).

- Story with alloy rims? This car should have dark grey wheels.

- Plus the usual things you can't see from pictures like do all the lights and windows and switches and horns all work? How does it drive? Does it fire right up everytime? Maintenance history? How are the brakes? Speedo/angle drive?

- Is the jack and tool kit in there? Spare tire under the carpet? That carpet looks like it has no board under it, which may be another matter.

- Do both release cables and latches work as intended (engine bay lower and upper and bonnet)?

- Any brackets or covers missing, like the cover on the rear fascia near the latch or the upper bracket on the right side of the muffler?

Domi
03-01-2013, 04:59 PM
You forgot the front panel of the Craig radio, it's missing too :biggrin:

Chris Burns
03-01-2013, 06:59 PM
My buddy Darren drove this car back in 97. lol

It was crappy back then. It's been everywhere since .

The seller wants 35k for the car. YIKES!

Shep
03-01-2013, 10:56 PM
- Is the jack and tool kit in there? Spare tire under the carpet? That carpet looks like it has no board under it, which may be another matter.I haven't seen too many examples of triple-digit VIN trunk areas, but of the ones I have seen (mine included), many do not have a board of any kind. It's just the mat over the spare tire. I'm not sure if the mat was removed or it was just never there to begin with for these cases, but this particular mat has some out of place rivet things going around the edges that I haven't seen before. I'm thinking to hold it down to the fiberglass while heavy things are placed on top of it, which would explain the mat caving in around the spare tire (which appears to be there). I would be concerned with the fiberglass at the location of these rivets; there might be a few minor repairs in order correcting the problem that the board was designed for.

Interestingly enough, 812 is only two VIN's away from 814, which is currently owned by our forum member "andyd" in London, UK. I wonder if he knows about this car...

eagle-co94
03-01-2013, 11:40 PM
I have 891 and it had a mat only, no board.

MTDMC
03-02-2013, 10:34 AM
My car doesn't have the board in the trunk.

Shep
03-02-2013, 03:52 PM
I have 891 and it had a mat only, no board.
My car doesn't have the board in the trunk.Looks like a good poll question then!

I've made a poll here (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?6413-Presence-or-absense-of-boards-under-the-trunk-mats). Feel free to vote! It'll be interesting to see how it turns out :)