PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Fuel return line adapter

opethmike
05-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Wow, it was quite tough to get the old fuel return line to crack loose. I need to remove the adapter from the hard line, but it is stuck. I can get it to turn, but I can't get it to slide off.

I need to remove it so I can fit my new line on for my EFI conversion. Any advice? I'm almost tempted to cut the hard line right behind the adapter and instead of using the new hose with crimped on fitting that I have, using a fuel hose and tightening it on with a fuel line clamp. I'd like to avoid that if I can, of course.

AdmiralSenn
05-25-2011, 12:39 AM
Oh, yeah, that one... :angry: I'm not 100% sure that the adapter CAN be removed from the line without a ton of extra work and/or cutting the hardline like you said.

I ended up getting an adapter and a crushable ferrule between that piece and my AN -6 line. I could only find inverted flare adapters (the threading is 1/2-20 SAE) so the ferrule filled in the gap between the two pieces to make a seal. No leaks so far...

See attachment. This may or may not work for your design, but it DOES work. Strangely, it looks like the adapter uses the same threads on both ends, just one end is female.

DCUK Martin
05-25-2011, 05:54 AM
Vice grips on the olive and turn the adapter against it has always worked for me

All you'd need to put things back the way they should be if you do have to cut it off is a new olive. It's a standard hydraulic part worth next to nothing. DMC supply one with their tank return pipe.

dmc6960
05-25-2011, 09:34 AM
I had the same issue. After all the work I did to get it off, the one final thing I tried was a piece of cake. Grab the adapter with a good strong pliers or channel locks, then give it a slight sideways twist. Mine popped right off. Great care is necessary as not to bend the hard line, if it doesn't work right away perhaps stop. Mine gave nearly no resistance when I tried it.

Jim Reeve
DMC6960

DCUK Martin
05-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Will the adapter turn with the olive/ferrule held fast? If so, hit it sharply with something light (like a 13mm wrench for example). A shock will often help split these buggers.

opethmike
05-25-2011, 11:18 AM
My olive and adapter are apart just fine; the issue is that the adapter is stuck to the hard line itself. After the amount of time I spent dinking around with it yesterday, and getting nowhere, I'm likely going to just get a tubing cutter and remove it that way. Then just slip a fuel hose on and clamp it down with a fuel line clamp.

OverlandMan
01-21-2014, 10:15 AM
Vice grips on the olive and turn the adapter against it has always worked for me

All you'd need to put things back the way they should be if you do have to cut it off is a new olive. It's a standard hydraulic part worth next to nothing. DMC supply one with their tank return pipe.

I'm resurrecting this thread because I am trying to remove this fitting to replace the last fuel line as part of my complete fuel line replacement kit from DPI. I was able to get the soft line off last night without much fuss but the middle fitting won't come loose. It will spin but that's about it. I really don't want to cut the line.

What is the "olive" that was mentioned in the quote above?

jmettee
01-21-2014, 11:36 AM
I had to cut the end of the line off & install new parts. This is a compression fitting & the olive (like a ferrule) actually distorts the line when tightening the fitting. You need to install the new parts on a "new" part of the metal line.

DCUK Martin
01-21-2014, 02:43 PM
What is the "olive" that was mentioned in the quote above?

The smallest item in this photo. It's a conical ring which gets jammed into the female side when you tighten the male side. and crushes into the walls of the tube.

http://store.delorean.com/images/Product/large/105020.JPG

DMCMW Dave
01-21-2014, 04:27 PM
The smallest item in this photo. It's a conical ring which gets jammed into the female side when you tighten the male side. and crushes into the walls of the tube.

]

http://store.delorean.com/p-6517-bulk-ring.aspx

OverlandMan
01-23-2014, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to see if I can't make any progress on this over the next few days. Out of all the fuel lines I've replaced, this one looks to be the most time consuming.

Ryan S.
04-25-2016, 04:20 PM
I am having a similar problem and need your advice.

For my case, I was able to seperate return line from hardline. But my flexible hose and adapter are totally fused together and won't come off. So I got an used adapter for my new flexible hose but fuel is leaking between adapter and hardline connector. Not a lot but still.... After many tries, I decided to remove the new line and adapter and put the old one back in. It still leaked but after tightening to max, it stopped leaking, I think. I hope. I pray. :sad30:

Now I am totally afraid to go back and try it again. I already snapped my brake caliper hard line last week and not about to snap a fuel line. Plus, I am out of copper washers after trying several times.

Do I need a new acorn or new adapter (and not used one)? I tighten adapter to hardline so much that I don't think that will ever come off. Uggg.... Maybe I should just not touch it at all.