PDA

View Full Version : Heat & A/C Refrigerant for Either System

DeLorean03
07-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Hey guys,

It's been 4 years since I recharged the AC system, and I figured I would share with everyone what I use. It's called ES-12a - an "environmentally safe" refrigerant. It works with either R12 or R134A systems, so no need to worry which system you have or doing any conversions. The website has this disclaimer in red letters as well to keep people's "nerves off edge" as to whether this refrigerant is really safe for both systems.

It's available here at this page: http://www.autorefrigerants.com/co00033.htm

Picture of my cans that just came in today:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2010&d=1309557868

Just find "Es-12a" on the page. I ordered 3 cans plus shipping for $31.00. Took 8 days (weekend included) to get here. Used it last time, loved it. Had air coming out of the center cooling vents down to 42 degrees Farenheit at once point. Going to use it again! I believe it takes 3 cans if your system is TOTALLY empty - I would assume mine will need 1 can to 2 cans absolutely tops.

Anyhoo, just figured I'd share! Don't know if this classifies as a "resource", so I'll put it in the General section for now!

Morpheus
07-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Personally, im not a big fan of "replacement" refrigerants. If my system was R134a, chances are that I would just recharge with that. R12 is still available if you know where to look, even though you need that EPA certification to get it. Expensive, yes, but it's not worth the risk of possibly mucking up your system down the road with a blended refrigerant.

Of course, this is one man's opinion. :thumbup2:

John U
07-01-2011, 07:30 PM
I use Redtek (which is essentially propane)...can't get R12 in Canada :frown:

TTait
07-02-2011, 03:50 AM
R12 is expensive, but its not that hard to get really. I found and took the test to get the EPA certificate and as I recall it was about the price of a can of R12. It was an open book on line test and all the info was readily available. I think the whole process took about half an hour. That was a few years back but look into it, it should be easier than you think.

Bitsyncmaster
07-02-2011, 07:20 AM
Can you post the contents that should be labeled on that can. It would be interesting to see what they use. I don't think the claim that 6 oz is equal to ?? oz. is valid since an AC system has to have a minimum of ?? oz. of liquid coolant.

nullset
07-02-2011, 10:57 AM
According to their MSDS, this is a mixture of "Alkanes" and Napthalene.

Alkanes = hydrocarbons, ala propane.

I would not recommend putting this in your AC. If you're in the US, it's illegal, for one.

--buddy

DeLorean03
07-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Bitsync, I would but there really doesn't appear to be any anywhere. The only things labeled are as follows right under the snowman:

Replaces HFC-134a & CFC12 Substitutes
Equivalent to / a18 oz. CFC-R-12 Equivalent to / a16oz. HFC-134a
Net weight 6oz (168grams).

That's all it's got exactly typed like that word for word. The rest of the labels show directions and danger/precaution/first aid material.

As for putting this in the car, I have done this before, and it has given me no ill side effects whatsoever. I'm not saying anyone's wrong with their thoughts or opinions; I'm just saying I have charged my system with it and it's done me well for 4 years with no issues, problems, hiccups, or hangups.

I forgot to mention - I do have the original R12 setup - hence, why I use this rather than R12. Then again, as an upcoming Developmental Engineer for the USAF at Wright-Patterson, getting R12 should be about as tough as drinking water in a desert (: ...