PDA

View Full Version : Call for Wrecked DeLoreans

Citizen
07-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Well actually, we don't want you to wreck your DeLorean! But if you do know any that are already wrecked...read on.

It’s official. As part of the effort to track DeLorean modifications, we (the Texas club) wil now begin keeping a list of those VINs that are known wrecked. If anyone knows of any confirmed wrecks, it would be great if you could post here. Of course, a photo would be most desired. Cars that died in fires, crashes, crushes, etc. are good candidates.

And while you’re at it, any other wild and crazy modifications that you know would also be appreciated. Good examples are: Turbo charged, electric, Grand Nationals, convertibles, limos (all of Rich W.’s cars), all the BTTF conversions, etc. Well, you get the idea.

Thanks,
Thomas

DMC3165
07-02-2011, 01:50 PM
I can see this thread turning into the "faces of death" for DeLoreans. But like everyone else I'm just as curious to see what pops up.
:hatchet:

louielouie2000
07-03-2011, 07:22 PM
My first DeLorean, VIN 10115 was deemed a total loss in 2003, and is now a parts car for another owner.

http://www.dmcnews.com/mydmc/10115wreck2_louie.jpg

Chris 16409
07-04-2011, 02:14 AM
I wonder how much money DMCH pays for VIN plates?!

jmrydholm
07-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Yow. Close to mine, I'm #10715

Poor car...:blackeye:

jerandall
07-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Hey Guys -

I'm new to this forum and thought this thread would be a fitting place for my first post. I used to own VIN #3218 which was given to me by my grandfather with 3k miles on it, the car had been regularly serviced by Rob Grady. I lost the car in an accident in Long Island, NY in 1990 and then my grandfather a few years later.

Attached are a couple pics I recently found of the damage. I was curious what happened to her, whether she was stripped down for parts or even rebuilt so I pulled a carfax on the VIN yesterday. Here's what came back

CARFAX on SCEDT26T8BD003218 - Severe Damage
06/09/1992 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Melville, NY
SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED

NY privacy laws prevented me from getting any more info than that so I figured I would appeal to this forum. I would love to know where 3218 ended up (or pieces of her). The car had been regularly serviced by Rob Grady. I'm going to purchase another D sometime this year and for purely sentimental reasons would love to try and transplant something from my original car....if possible. If you guys had any thoughts on my recent obsession let me know.

All the best, Jason

Farrar
07-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Hi, Jason, and welcome!

"Salvage Title/Certificate Issued" may mean that it was bought for parts. That's all I know. But I am sure others will chime in with more later.

Good luck finding your new DeLorean! I think if mine is ever wrecked, I will probably keep a piece as a souvenir. I think the shifter knob would be a nice memento. :)

Best,
Farrar Hudkins

sdg3205
07-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Jason,

Your VIN is one of the closest to mine I've ever seen. I'm 3205 which means they were probably built on the same shift! How cool is that? The only other close one was FLUXIN's VIN at 3196.

I have found all 3 previous owners of my car with some decent research time. I'd say keep googling and you'll eventually find it. Rob G may be able to point you in the right direction too.

I was looking at a DeLorean recently that was a salvage car. I contacted the owner from the mid nineties by googling his name and city from the title. He was quite excited to be talking about the car 20 years later and hearing about its current whereabouts/status.

Anything is possible, just keep at it. There are VIN lists on this forum and DeLorean Owners Directories (via the texas club) that may also be of some assistance.

Cheers and welcome.

dvonk
07-21-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm new to this forum and thought this thread would be a fitting place for my first post...

hi jason, welcome to the forum. :wave:

sorry to hear about 03218, and good luck finding a new D!

jawn101
07-21-2012, 06:22 PM
Holy god, every appendage on my body went all shrunken-turtle at the sight of that first pic. I would NOT have wanted to be in that car!!!

Oh, and welcome :)

Martyn
07-22-2012, 04:05 AM
I hate it too,But it's just one of those things you force yourself to look at.
I would not wish it on any DeLorean car or owner ever!!!!

Furry_DeLorean
07-26-2012, 11:56 PM
Screaming stainless deathtrap? Oh well, I would not mind dying with my D anyway... maybe. Sure is interesting to see how DeLoreans react to impacts like this. I wana see more but lets not make the list too long.

Shep
07-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Hey Guys -

I'm new to this forum and thought this thread would be a fitting place for my first post. I used to own VIN #3218 which was given to me by my grandfather with 3k miles on it, the car had been regularly serviced by Rob Grady. I lost the car in an accident in Long Island, NY in 1990 and then my grandfather a few years later.

Attached are a couple pics I recently found of the damage. I was curious what happened to her, whether she was stripped down for parts or even rebuilt so I pulled a carfax on the VIN yesterday. Here's what came back

CARFAX on SCEDT26T8BD003218 - Severe Damage
06/09/1992 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Melville, NY
SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED

NY privacy laws prevented me from getting any more info than that so I figured I would appeal to this forum. I would love to know where 3218 ended up (or pieces of her). The car had been regularly serviced by Rob Grady. I'm going to purchase another D sometime this year and for purely sentimental reasons would love to try and transplant something from my original car....if possible. If you guys had any thoughts on my recent obsession let me know.

All the best, JasonGreetings Jason!

I had some spare time and boredom on my hands, so I did a search for your DeLorean. After searching both the full and shortened VINs on this forum and Google, I only came up with one site: TXDMC's entry (http://www.citizenkidd.com/DMC/pages/vinview_disp.asp?start=3218). Looking at your Carfax though, it was run about a week ago, but the last/only activity is in '92 when it was given the salvage title. If it changed hands after this point, it would've shown up on the Carfax. The fact that it did not means either it was parted out until it was (and I cringe at the thought) crushed, or someone obtained it illegally. Since there has been no further activity (title transfers, oil changes, service work, etc.), it's safe to assume that it was parted out for good. It's unfortunate, but I wouldn't get your hopes up of finding it.

However, since you stated you are also looking for parts, there's a really good chance many of these are alive and well! The biggest problem you'll face here is the fact that donor VINs may or may not be known for various parts. The problem is that if you were to look on, say, eBay for DeLorean parts, many of the parts on there don't have VINs attached. There's countless parts from production DeLoreans that have been sold without the donor VIN being given, and this might be the case here. Your best bet is to track down the location of the scrapyard where your DeLorean was parted out, and do some research to see if you can track down buyers either from their records or from other D owners' memory of who bought what where. It might take a boatload of work to do, but don't give up! I'm sure with enough determination, you can find someone that has something! One tip: you might want to start your own thread. I only came across your post by checking to see what this thread was about; making your own thread would definitely give your situation more attention.

Hope this helps! :thumbup:

jerandall
07-29-2012, 10:39 PM
@EMDF, @sdg3205 and @Farrar really appreciate you guys taking the time to share your feedback. The search for 3218 continues…..

Many thanks, Jason

Domi
07-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum :thumbup:
Good luck on finding parts of your vin and new DeLorean :)

DeLorean03
07-30-2012, 10:20 PM
How about this one? http://dmcnews.com/Techsection/rollover.html

Citizen
07-30-2012, 10:29 PM
How about this one? http://dmcnews.com/Techsection/rollover.html

Does anyone recall the VIN of this one? Rich? Dave?