PDA

View Full Version : DeLorean Motor Company Midwest Open House 6-15-13

DMCMW Julee
03-09-2013, 01:53 PM
SAVE THE DATE! Come celebrate Father's Day Weekend with us as DMC Midwest is planning an Open House for Saturday June 15th, 2013!

Showroom Construction is currently underway at our new 990 Lutter Drive, Crystal Lake, Illinois facility and we would be honored to have you come celebrate its completion with us.

We will follow up with more event specifics, including hotel possibilities, as the date draws nearer.

Brisfx
03-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Damm, wish it was in October. :)

Dangermouse
03-09-2013, 07:07 PM
I need to plan a business trip to IL in June :)

dmc6960
03-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Currently planning to be there!

beernpizzalover
03-14-2013, 02:23 PM
Good to know - thanks for sharing. I just put it on my calendar as the first DMC event I plan to attend!

EdR5150
03-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Good to know - thanks for sharing. I just put it on my calendar as the first DMC event I plan to attend!
So you just some random newbie from Washington who on their first post thought we should see an auction for Delorean One's NOS binnacle?
Looking forward to meeting you at the Open House!

Exolis
03-15-2013, 09:34 AM
This sounds like fun, hopefully I have time to attend!

Patrick C
03-15-2013, 10:05 PM
So you just some random newbie from Washington who on their first post thought we should see an auction for Delorean One's NOS binnacle?

:aniclap:

beernpizzalover
03-16-2013, 03:40 PM

Well, I have family back in Illinois. It's a good state to be FROM.

DMCMW Julee
05-03-2013, 01:02 AM
UPDATE! The remodel is nearly complete and we are so looking forward to sharing our new facility with you on June 15th!

I have arranged a block of rooms at a local hotel for $79.00 a night including breakfast for you and designated parking for your DeLorean. :) Reservations need to be made before June 1st to receive this rate. If the hotel sells out, we can provide other suggestions for you but they will be at that hotel's regular rate. Be safe and register early!

As usual, we are serving lunch so I will need a head count to make sure everyone is taken care of. Please RSVP to me by June 1st (phone or email) to receive accommodation and event details.

We will be having a few special guests in attendance as well so keep your eyes on this thread for updates!

Michael
05-03-2013, 08:03 AM
I truly wish I could make it, but that is one long pilgrimage for me in Tennessee and right in the middle of my busy season. If I ever find myself remotely close to Chicago, I will most definitely make it a priority to come by and meet everyone in person.

cybercusp
05-03-2013, 12:52 PM
I'll be there with my dad.

vin6635
05-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Looking forward to it!

DMCMW Dave
05-03-2013, 11:17 PM
I truly wish I could make it, but that is one long pilgrimage for me in Tennessee and right in the middle of my busy season. If I ever find myself remotely close to Chicago, I will most definitely make it a priority to come by and meet everyone in person.

We're likely making a pilgrimmage to South Carolina the week after. . . .time for a break!

topcop66
05-09-2013, 07:11 AM
What is the name / address / phone # of the hotel.. Or should we contact you personally for that info ??? See ya there !!!

DMCMW Dave
05-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Call the shop/ email Julee.

DMCMW Julee
05-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Call the shop/ email Julee.

Yes, please. :) I am preparing lunch so I really need to know how many people to expect. Also, if we need to adjust the room block, I will need to know asap.

Thanks guys! I look forward to seeing you all on the 15th!

Mark D
05-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Please count me in if you haven't already. No hotel needed, my drive is short enough.

If there are any other WI owners I could meet up with you guys along my way. Hopefully I'll be in the DeLorean but if it's not back in one piece by then I'll just have the daily driver.

I'm not sure yet if I'll be leaving from Stevens Point or from Appleton.

DMCCA Cameron
05-10-2013, 12:15 PM
I will be there. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Cameron Wynne
DMC California

Roman Legion
05-14-2013, 11:27 PM

If you decide to go, I'll tag along with you, I'm just north of you on I-81.

We're likely making a pilgrimmage to South Carolina the week after. . . .time for a break!

I hope you pass through my part of Virginia.

Roman Legion
05-15-2013, 12:48 AM
If anyone is driving through Virginia's I-81 to go to this and has room, I'd like to tag along.

DMCMW Dave
05-15-2013, 08:12 PM
I hope you pass through my part of Virginia.

It's up to the guy flying the airplane :approve:.

But when we drive that's not really on the route from Chicago to Greenville.

Roman Legion
05-15-2013, 08:31 PM
It's up to the guy flying the airplane :approve:.

But when we drive that's not really on the route from Chicago to Greenville.

*Snaps fingers* Damn!

Nicholas R
05-16-2013, 12:28 AM
Dammit! I start work in Orlando on June 10th so I'll miss this. :bigcry::bigcry:

I was really hoping to make this one too. Take lots of pictures!!

kings1527
05-17-2013, 12:04 AM
I'll be there! Please count me in. I'm booking my flight tonight.

Julee: I'll give you a call tomorrow (Friday) to get hotel info. Thanks for spearheading that.

DeLorean03
05-17-2013, 12:13 AM
Jessica and I talked about it, and we are tentatively planning on attending. I'll get a parts list going soon ;).

Rich W
05-17-2013, 12:25 PM
I saw the Hotel details cross-posted to the DeLorean Midwest Connection club FaceBook Page yesterday.

Posting the link here, in case there is some reason why the details have not been posted here already.

https://www.facebook.com/events/368438263256912/?ref=22

I'll be there! Please count me in. I'm booking my flight tonight.

Julee: I'll give you a call tomorrow (Friday) to get hotel info. Thanks for spearheading that.

kings1527
05-17-2013, 02:06 PM
I saw the Hotel details cross-posted to the DeLorean Midwest Connection club FaceBook Page yesterday.

Posting the link here, in case there is some reason why the details have not been posted here already.

https://www.facebook.com/events/368438263256912/?ref=22

Thanks for that, Rich. That's what I needed! Now I'm all set. See everyone then!

DMCMW Dave
05-17-2013, 03:13 PM

Mostly because we didn't want to.

DMCMW Julee
05-25-2013, 08:20 AM
UPDATE! The remodel is nearly complete and we are so looking forward to sharing our new facility with you on June 15th!

I have arranged a block of rooms at a local hotel for $79.00 a night including breakfast for you and designated parking for your DeLorean. :) Reservations need to be made before June 1st to receive this rate. If the hotel sells out, we can provide other suggestions for you but they will be at that hotel's regular rate. Be safe and register early!

As usual, we are serving lunch so I will need a head count to make sure everyone is taken care of. Please RSVP to me by June 1st (phone or email) to receive accommodation and event details.

We will be having a few special guests in attendance as well so keep your eyes on this thread for updates!

June 1st is almost upon us and we are working hard on our final preparations for the big day!

While you are enjoying this Holiday weekend, take a few moments to make sure you've RSVPed and booked your hotel (if applicable).

I look forward to seeing you all! :welcome:

Jonathan
05-25-2013, 09:07 AM
June 1st is almost upon us and we are working hard on our final preparations for the big day!

While you are enjoying this Holiday weekend, take a few moments to make sure you've RSVPed and booked your hotel (if applicable).

I look forward to seeing you all! :welcome:

Save some time for you and Dave to enjoy your weekend too, Julee. Especially Monday :)

DMCMW Julee
05-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Save some time for you and Dave to enjoy your weekend too, Julee. Especially Monday :)

Thanks - 34 years of wedded bliss on Monday!

Jimmyvonviggle
05-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks - 34 years of wedded bliss on Monday!

Wow you guys pre-date the DeLorean!

DeLorean03
05-25-2013, 05:30 PM

And now everything you and only you order from them just doubled in price ;).

DMCMW Dave
05-25-2013, 10:18 PM

I recall seeing new DeLoreans at the Chicago Auto Show but that was the time of my life where all my money went to house and babies. Probably as it should be. Finally bought one when the youngest kid was about 14. Sometimes you just have to wait.

Rich W
06-11-2013, 11:10 AM

Well, with only a few days left until the DMC MW Open House and the RSVP List in the triple digits, I thought I would provide a few hints
at the Special Guests that will be attending the DMC MW Open House upon invitation from the DeLorean Midwest Connection club:

- former Parts Manager for one of the Midwest's Largest Chevrolet/DeLorean dealerships in the 1980's and 1990's

- a few former DMC QAC Employees (POGs), several invited and at least two have confirmed they will be attending

- two former employees from the original DeLorean Motor Company (one attending a DMC event for the first time in the US)

If you happen to have a copy of Nick Sutton's book "The DeLorean Story", you may want to bring it along to the DMC MW Open House,
to get a few employee signatures in it. If you have not purchased a copy yet, the DeLorean Midwest Connection club has some copies.

DMCMW Julee
06-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Hi all. Just wanted to say thank you for the outstanding interest in our event this year!

With that in mind (and the invitational deadline past) this event is officially full and we will no longer be able to accept any last minute RSVPs or additions.

We will be sure to post pictures as soon as possible. :)

Thanks again!

DMOCO Rick
06-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Julee and Dave,
I hope you guys have a great event at your new place. I wish I could be there!

All the best,

Rick
DMOCO.com

dmc6960
06-16-2013, 02:43 AM
Had a great time today. Rainy at first, really nice later on. Good turnout, good food, great company. Good work DMCMW team. You got a great facility. Keep it all up.

And for those wondering, yes. I did help out Steve Rice tonight in the hotel parking lot change out his steering rack. The general consensus today (from the many professionals present) is that the shimmy he had at speed was caused by play in the rack. I'm pleased to report that the shimmy is completely gone now. And I'll give myself a pat on the back as well for a damn nice alignment job with the tape measure as well.

Just when I thought I would go the whole day without helping anybody fix their car.

Couple pics of the crowd (well, the cars). I'm not much of a picture taker though...

DeLorean03
06-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Another pic or two from the event:

Got to finally meet Stephen after almost 10 yrs of ownership. Such a great gentleman. I had an opportunity to sit and talk with him and his son, Cameron, for a good solid 45 minutes or so. I asked a lot of the "urban legend" style questions and a bit about the DMC-EV as well as just hodge-podge/fun questions. He is a great and candid speaker; I thoroughly enjoyed listening to what he had to say.

Jessica cleaning the windows. We arrived early on Friday and helped Julee, Dave, and company get ready with any last-minute help they needed.

I think Dave said it best: "Let's go to Walmart and see if they can get their customers to wash their windows." That was one of my favorite zingers of the weekend :).

Met a good handful of people from here, both present and banned. Alex and I talked up a storm; it was great to meet someone who just had a lot of knowledge about the car and with such a passion to continue a great restoration he has going!

Anyhoo, what a great event. We had a blast, and it was well worth the drive out! The Chicago tolls though - good mercy D: ....

DMC5180
06-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Huge THANK YOU To Dave, Julee, Mike, Suzy,Jason and others in the background helping too support a wonderful event. A Special Thank You goes out too NICK & PHYLLIS SUTTON for honoring everyone with there presence and Book Signing. I knew Julee could pull a few strings with the BIG GUY and have him part the Clouds for the afternoon. It was wonderful to see the great turnout and meet up fellow DMCTALKers from great distances. Great to see Steve Rice make the long trek from Louisiana. (Hope the drive home was pleasant with the new Steering-rack).

Lastly, It was just wonderful getting back together with Long-Time Friends and Acquaintances.

Hope to see many of you next year at DCS 2014.

beernpizzalover
06-16-2013, 04:31 PM

Sorry I didn't make it back for the Open House; too busy at work.
Will have to visit the Midwest location sometime this year, though.

DMCMW Dave
06-16-2013, 04:50 PM
It was really nice to see everyone here, and thanks for all the support and help. We just wrapped up the final build-out of our showroom/exterior in the past week!

Some interesting Event statistics:

Longest Distance Driven in a DeLorean - Matt/Geoff K - Tallahassee Florida
Second Longest Driven in a DeLorean - Steve Rice - New Orleans Louisiana
Longest Driven in a DeLorean - Canada - Michael B (East of Toronto) Might be a tie with Rob C from Markham,
Longest Travelled - US - Three-way tie Jordan Livingston, Alex (Kings1527), and Cameron Wynne from Los Angeles
Longest Travelled - World - Tie - Nick Sutton (UK) Chris Nicholson (UK)

Car count was about 40. People Count about 170.

Special thanks to Rich W for bringing the Monster Garage project on our 10th anniversary, and arranging several special guests.

EdR5150
06-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Lots of photos have been posted to the Delorean Midwest Connection facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.673560022659325.1073741828.186922604656405

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DeLorean-Midwest-Connection/186922604656405

DMCMW Dave
06-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Proof that Steve Rice was here. On top of the official DMCMW refrigerator. . . .

DMCMW Julee
06-16-2013, 07:01 PM
After a lot of hard work, a lot of prayer, a lot of great fun, and a lot of sleep last night, I would like to say thank you to everyone who came out to celebrate the Grand Opening of DMC Midwest's new facility at our 2013 Biennial Customer Appreciation Event!

The weather looked a bit dicey leading up to the hour, but we were graciously given a clear window once the 11-5 hours arrived. :yesss: It really did turn out to be a near perfect day.

There are so many behind the scenes friends and family that we will spend forever being grateful to for pulling this move, remodel, and event plan together.

However, an extra special thank you goes to Jeremiah M. and Jessica O. for last minute clean up, parking management, and check-in. Thank you as well to Jay S. for steering DeLorean vs Non-DeLorean parking. Big thumbs up to Rick V. for helping my friend Faith with food service. Kudos to Cameron Wynne, Mike's wife Suzy, and my friend Darlene for keeping the order processing flowing! And thanks to everyone who pitched in to help us close up shop at the end of the day.

It was great to have Stephen Wynne here to help get ready and to help field some of the tech calls/questions in the days ahead of and during the event. Many thanks to Chris "Van Gogh" Nicholson for sharing his artistic expertise with all of us. Thank you to Nick and Phyllis Sutton, Chris Duvall, and Jeff Synor for sharing their inside stories of DeLorean.

It also must be said that Dave and I have the best DMC team in Mike, Jason, and Alex (whose last day was the close of the event but worked as if it was one of many more). They, along with their families, are such a great addition to our lives.

Finally, to all who traveled near and far - we were proud and honored to serve you. Without you there would have been nothing to celebrate. To those that couldn't make it, we hope to see you at the 2015 Biennial Customer Appreciation Event!

We are truly blessed.

DeLorean03
06-16-2013, 08:25 PM
<3 We love DMCMW, Julee. We, the community, are the ones that are blessed. You're welcome for anything we could do. It means a lot to us to give back and do anything we can.

Stephen did a great job repairing my fuel pump/sender combo. It was great to know and see it being repaired by the literal president of DMCH - great to see him know what he's doing and not another "paper pusher" president.

Thank you for such a great event!!!

kings1527
06-16-2013, 10:06 PM
Jim and several other people have beaten me to this.

The event was awesome! A very special 'thank you' goes out to Dave and Julee. Their hospitality was amazing, their new facility is beautiful, and it was great being able to see them in person and say 'thank you' for everything they do. Dave sat with Jim Reeve and Marty and myself afterwards and we had a great chat about everything. If your car is anywhere remotely close to DMC-MW, you have a great asset.

You had Nick Sutton there, talking with everyone and signing his new book. Talk about a really down to earth guy who was willing to sit down with you for however long and answer any question you had. It was great being able to meet him and I was fortunate to have a great conversation with him. If you don't have his book, grab it. You'll love it.

You also had stainless guru Chris Nicholson fixing multiple issues with various panels (hoods, doors, LF fenders, RF fenders...you name it) right before your very eyes. Stuff came out looking brand new and you bet I was taking pictures, video, notes, asking a ton of questions, etc. Let me say that Chris is such a nice guy; I felt bad about asking him about what he was doing at any given point in time since he'd stop working to gladly answer my questions. It's not as if he was operating behind a curtain.

Of course, Stephen Wynne and Cameron were on hand and it was my first time meeting Stephen. He's a really nice guy and he's an extremely candid guy about what's going on with the company and his demeanor is just like Chris Nicholson's; very easy to approach and talk to. I see Cameron all the time at DMC CA but it was great seeing him be able to make it out, too.

I got to meet several great owners such as Jim Reeve, Jeremiah, Steve Rice (yes, THAT one), Marty, Dennis, Matt Kazcienski (sp), Michael Todd, and several others. I even gave Steve and Jim a hand it the parking lot with Steve's car...we put a steering rack in his car in the parking lot at around midnight. And to tell you the kind of people they are, Dave and Julee were finishing up late but stopped by the hotel (again, at around midnight or so) while Jim and Steve were out on a test drive after we put the rack in just so he could see how things went with the install and to see if Steve wanted to put his old rack in the back of Dave's car. I don't think the Ford dealership provides that kind of customer service.

And I drove Steve's car afterwards and WOW...I'll be doing the exact same setup. It feels like a modern car.

This was a lot of fun! I'll do a post on it on my blog and put all my pictures and video of Chris up, probably sooner than later. That one will go real quick.

Thanks again for a great time! I didn't want to leave!

vin6635
06-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Attending with two young kids and a wife not feeling well, we had to keep out visit rather short and sans-D. That said, great event from my perspective and the kids definitely loved the sidewalk chalk, legos in the immaculate garage, matchbox cars by the movie and the "monster truck." Truly something for everyone. :)

We'll all be at DCS 2014!

Sammy
06-17-2013, 12:37 AM
Proof that Steve Rice was here. On top of the official DMCMW refrigerator. . . .

It appears Dave has only been sampling the sugar Cheerwine. Just wait until you try the diet Cheerwine. It will knock your socks off.

NightFlyer
06-17-2013, 01:26 AM
It appears Dave has only been sampling the sugar Cheerwine. Just wait until you try the diet Cheerwine. It will knock your socks off.

As a soda lover myself, I'm a little intrigued by this post - I'll have to try some Cheerwine in both forms. Unfortunately, the only place that seems to sell it in my area is a gourmet popcorn store located in the Old Town district of Lansing. Next time I'm in that area (which I admittedly don't make it to very often), I'll have to remember to pick some up :thumbup:

FABombjoy
06-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Unfortunately, the only place that seems to sell it in my area is a gourmet popcorn store located in the Old Town district of Lansing.
The Cracker Barrels around here seem to stock it. Horrock's has had some unusual soda offerings in the past, too. </threadjack>

NightFlyer
06-17-2013, 01:49 PM
The Cracker Barrels around here seem to stock it. Horrock's has had some unusual soda offerings in the past, too. </threadjack>

:offtopic2: Thread-jack Reply

Interesting - I didn't know that. Thanks! :thumbup:

Not a big fan of Cracker Barrel though, however, I used to live practically right across the street from the Delta Township Horrocks.

Rich W
06-17-2013, 02:30 PM
:offtopic2: Thread-jack Reply

In keeping with a slightly off topic discussion, but getting back to the Open House...

There was a Bonus Event on Sunday morning (day after the Open House) at the Holiday Inn down the street from DMC MW.

This sign was not there on Saturday evening, but it was out there on Sunday morning, by 5am (the show was 5am - 2pm).

Later,
Rich W.

Exolis
06-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Myself and my girlfriend Madison had a good time, was fun to see everyone's DeLorean and some unique twists to them (like the Pink one). Arrived late because of Traffic between downtown and Airport and left on earlier side to go meet friends so had to prepare for traffic coming back. But was able to pick up cowl screen thing (seems like a common thing to break from what I heard).

Dangermouse
06-17-2013, 03:11 PM
And the award for fourm member appearing on Jalopnik the most is Rich W.":

http://jalopnik.com/ill-show-them-ill-show-all-of-them-muahahahahaha-h-5137756

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18r3toqabck03jpg/k-bigpic.jpg

Rich W
06-17-2013, 03:55 PM
And the award for fourm member appearing on Jalopnik the most is Rich W.":

http://jalopnik.com/ill-show-them-ill-show-all-of-them-muahahahahaha-h-5137756

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18r3toqabck03jpg/k-bigpic.jpg

Nice find Dermot.

I believe that photo was taken on the ramp from I-355 to I-80 on Sunday afternoon, on my way to drop it back off in my storage building.

For those who have not seen the MG show (and there were quite a few at the Open House), VB has it on the DFW DMC website, Media Section:

http://www.dfwdmc.com/ (the link is about half way down the page in the media Section)

As for the Jalopnik comments, folks appear most worried about the letter T that fell off after the metal plate got rusty enough so it will no longer stick.
I am sure if I cleaned off the rust and replaced the T in the wrong font, they would be all over that one too (lol).

My guess is that the majority of them do not know the vehicle was built in 4 days, on a $3K budget, over a decade ago. Other than fixing a few welds,
rebuilding the carb, cleaning the fuel system and using about $20 worth of "rattle can" paint to freshen it up, it still looks pretty darn cool. Kids love it!!

On a side note, many of the "gear heads" at the Open House spent more time looking at the trailer instead of the GT40RC. (they really liked the trailer)
I am a bit surprised that the guys making butt-head comments on Jalopnik did not comment (or notice) that the trailer was only half re-painted, so far.

Later,
Rich W.

BTW: Almost forgot...the "experts" looking at the trailer plate were only off by about 1000 miles. It's an IL plate, not FL (lol).

Rich W
06-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Looks like the original Jalopnik link Dermot posted may be having some problems now. Try the one below:

http://jalopnik.com/ill-show-them-ill-show-all-of-them-muahahahahaha-h-513775643

The other interesting photo in the thread was an "in progress" photo that was taken when I had it on my small trailer and transport wheels
(easier to work on, such as re-welding the spring perches, etc. and to take off wheels/tires to scuff the rotors and bleed the brakes, etc.)

Photo was taken while parked around the corner from Eric Weber's house (Eric was on the build team). Eric's son Jason just had to see it.

Rich W
06-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Looks like the original Jalopnik link Dermot posted may be having some problems now. Try the one below:

http://jalopnik.com/ill-show-them-ill-show-all-of-them-muahahahahaha-h-513775643

The other interesting photo in the thread was an "in progress" photo that was taken when I had it on my small trailer and transport wheels
(easier to work on, such as re-welding the spring perches, etc. and to take off wheels/tires to scuff the rotors and bleed the brakes, etc.)

Photo was taken while parked around the corner from Eric Weber's house (Eric was on the build team). Eric's son Jason just had to see it.

Photo is "post repairs" and before the "rattle can" paint refresh

Dangermouse
06-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Those comments are funny in their ignorance. I know you aren't bothered by them Rich and will just laugh them off.

I wish I had been at the open house and seen it for my self. Next time

Ron
06-17-2013, 06:06 PM

Granted this is your thread, but did you just have to open that door?

...wait...this is Julie's thread!
Julie, does the new facility have a dog house?

kings1527
06-30-2013, 03:04 AM
Hi everyone,

I did an entry on the open house and included a bunch of pictures. Hopefully you feel like you were there!

http://delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com/2013/06/2013-dmc-midwest-open-house.html

Alan
06-30-2013, 09:10 AM
kings1527,

Great write-up. My wife and I were at the open house. As current non-owners, we tend to "lurk" around the community more than anything. However, even to me it is clear that DeLorean owners are a community and it is equally clear how integral Dave and Julee are to the community. You captured those facts, as well as the details of the event, very well.

Again, thanks for the great write up.

...and thanks to DMC-MW for a great event.

Chris Burns
06-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Hi everyone,

I did an entry on the open house and included a bunch of pictures. Hopefully you feel like you were there!

http://delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com/2013/06/2013-dmc-midwest-open-house.html

Great write up and great pics!:popcorn:

Ozzie
06-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Congrats to Dave and Julee on what looked like a great and fun event.

Hi everyone,

Nice write up.
<off topic tangent>Nice site!</off topic tangent>

Ron
06-30-2013, 11:33 AM
Hi everyone,

Great write up!!! THX

SS Spoiler
06-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Nice write up Alex, wish I could have been there. Montana is a ways away. I remember convoying with that candy apple red twin turbo on the way to DOA '91 in Vegas. Still owned by Guy Avalon?

Paul Cerny #2691
Kalispell, MT.

kings1527
06-30-2013, 01:01 PM
kings1527,

Great write-up. My wife and I were at the open house. As current non-owners, we tend to "lurk" around the community more than anything. However, even to me it is clear that DeLorean owners are a community and it is equally clear how integral Dave and Julee are to the community. You captured those facts, as well as the details of the event, very well.

Again, thanks for the great write up.

...and thanks to DMC-MW for a great event.

Hi Alan. Thanks for the compliments and I'm glad you were able to make it to the event. From my experience as an owner for a short time, it's very easy for this to become more than just the car. Like I mentioned, you run into great people along the way and that really acts as a catalyst to enjoying ownership even more. On a side note, I've owned personal watercraft and those bulletin boards can be a rough place to be. Hopefully ownership finds you soon!

Congrats to Dave and Julee on what looked like a great and fun event.

Nice write up.
<off topic tangent>Nice site!</off topic tangent>

Thanks Ozzie! Your LED page is massive and I frequented it a lot while doing my conversion, as well as your review on Dave's RPM relay. Plus, I picked up all the bushings and sleeves for my shift linkage, per your writeup. Thanks for all that info!

Great write up and great pics!:popcorn:

Thanks Chris! We gotta get you into a car!

Nice write up Alex, wish I could have been there. Montana is a ways away. I remember convoying with that candy apple red twin turbo on the way to DOA '91 in Vegas. Still owned by Guy Avalon?

Paul Cerny #2691
Kalispell, MT.

Hi Paul. I didn't run into the owner at the open house, or at least he wasn't at his car when I was taking pictures. But that red was killer! Whoever the current owner is, he takes care of it. That's for sure.

Chris Burns
06-30-2013, 02:10 PM

Paul Cerny #2691
Kalispell, MT.

Guy still owns that DMC. I talk to him on FB regularly.

delornut
06-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Hi everyone,

Alex, nice write up. I had my car for sale here last month but after attending the open house and renewing old friendships as well as making a few new ones my enthusiasm returned and I took it off the market. Holding the flashlight while you, Jim, Steve and Dennis tried to out run the rain in the late night parking lot install of Steve's new steering rack helped to make me realize that, as you said, it becomes much more than just the car. I've had this car for 32 years and I'd spend the rest of my life feeling something was missing if I sold it. The fact you jumped on a plane and flew from LA for this is exactly what I mean by the enthusiasm this car brings out in people.

Bruce Benson

DMC5180
06-30-2013, 06:30 PM

Paul Cerny #2691
Kalispell, MT.

Yes, Guy Avalon still owns it. He just recently took it out of moth balls after many years of hibernation.

Rad Dad
06-30-2013, 09:00 PM
I was another of the folks who caravanned out to the '91 gathering in Vegas. Along with Bruce, Paul, several others, it was a great trip - I joined it in Colorado. We all remember Guy's twin tubo'd red D. We also remember that he ran out of gas in the most inopportune place - - but all is well that ends well. Touring with other D owners is probably the most exciting and rewarding thing one can do - - at least in a Delorean!!!

I'm sorry that I couldn't make it to the DMCMW event, bit at least my DeLorean did.

Dick Ryan
Vin 16867

kings1527
06-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Alex, nice write up. I had my car for sale here last month but after attending the open house and renewing old friendships as well as making a few new ones my enthusiasm returned and I took it off the market. Holding the flashlight while you, Jim, Steve and Dennis tried to out run the rain in the late night parking lot install of Steve's new steering rack helped to make me realize that, as you said, it becomes much more than just the car. I've had this car for 32 years and I'd spend the rest of my life feeling something was missing if I sold it. The fact you jumped on a plane and flew from LA for this is exactly what I mean by the enthusiasm this car brings out in people.

Bruce Benson

Hi Bruce!

I'm sorry that I completely spaced on remembering you were there in the parking lot, too. I swear, that tactical flashlight you had could've signaled astronauts in space! I updated my blog and put you in there for the tech session. Thanks for the help that night and it doesn't surprise me that you had a change of heart in selling your car. It seems like I'll own things but you know, even when you buy it, that you'll get rid of it someday. I've never had that feeling with my car. Unless things drastically change for one reason or another, I'd anticipate this will be something I'll be interested in for a loooooong time.

I'm not sure exactly what it is with the car, but it can be very dangerous in the sense of how it can really grab ahold of you. The history, the story, the stainless construction, owning a significant piece of automotive history, how 'personal' your VIN is and how it can tell a story just by its number, etc. It's like your car has had an incredibly traceable life. I think there are a ton of factors involved and hopefully owners have a lot of time and money because it'll grab you! But being a part of such a great ownership group makes ownership that much more fun.

dmcerik
07-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Dave, it was great seeing the new place...even if it was only for 5 minutes. Thanks for showing me around. Looks like you had a great turn out.

Rich W
10-08-2013, 12:20 PM
On my "better late than never" theme of the week, I got a few photos recently that my older brother took at the DMC Midwest Open House.

To my knowledge, he was one of the only people who took a few photos from the roof (Mike from DMC Midwest let him up on the roof) and
to my knowledge, he was one of the few folks taking photos with traditional 35mm film (he probably just finished the roll around October 1).

Anyway, I took a few digital photos of the prints, so they are not the greatest quality, but it is a neat perspective of the Open House event.