PDA

View Full Version : Being asked to bring my DeLorean to a music event

kobachi
03-13-2013, 02:15 AM
A venue promoter in my area recently saw me working on my car and has asked me to come to a "Back to the Future" dance party he's throwing at a local night club this weekend. He's suggested paying me to show up, that he'll provide free drinks (pass on that part), and that people will probably want to take pictures with the car and that I/we could probably charge for that too.

The event would be roughly 10pm-2am and sounds like a dance party I'd enjoy attending anyway, so the hours aren't a problem. The venue is only three miles from my apartment so billing for "mileage/expenses" is also not a problem. Does anyone have any idea what a reasonable amount to ask for an appearance like this would be? Are there any liability issues to be clarified/contracted beforehand? Anyone have experience allowing a number of people to sit in the car/take pics/etc.?

Thanks for your time and advice!

sdg3205
03-13-2013, 02:23 AM
Ask about their budget first before you toss out a number. It may be larger or smaller than you think. Go from there.

Also, yes call your insurance company and make sure you are covered. Policies often do not cover you if you're using your car for commercial purposes. I always add maximum insurance and factor this cost in.

10pm - 2pm? $400 to $500? I don't think you want drunk ppl in your car. If you don't care I'd say $5 gets you a picture in the car, but I think your asking for broken stalks or bolsters.

DeLorean03
03-13-2013, 02:43 AM
I sure as HECK wouldn't have my car in a clubbing/drinking environment at those kind of late hours. That's just me though.

Coulombe
03-13-2013, 01:18 PM
sdg3205 is correct. Your normal insurance coverage won't cover it during the event.

I personally "will not" rent out my Delorean or Time Machine for less than $1500 plus damages for this type of event. You will have constant problems once the brooze has sunk in. You will not be able to stay away from the car for even a split second. You will have to constantly tell people to stay away from the car with all drinks, keys, food and cigarettes. You will have guys wanting to have two girls sit on their lap for photos. People "WILL" push, touch, turn and handle the keypad, overhead panel, drive switch handle and "they will" break it before the night is over.

I don't mean to burst your bubble but, I have done many of these types of events over the years and I always end up fustrated. I have commercial insurance on my cars and the deductable is high. I always have to repair something, usually the keypad and Y handle and a torn drivers seat from the studs on jeans or keys in their back pocket.

My advise is if you do the gig, no photos inside the car, only outside standing at distance of at least 3 feet off the body. Think about the liability if a drunk falls onto your Delorean while paying you to take a photo, he'll own your car.

Just my two cents worth.

Farrar
03-13-2013, 04:05 PM
I did this for a similar event, and it was late at night, and it was a dance club which served alcohol. However, it was parked outside of the club on the sidewalk, under lots of lights and behind security ropes, with two bouncers whose job it was to protect the car. Folks could have their photos taken with the car, but not behind the ropes, and the bouncers made sure that no one tried to get beyond the ropes and inside the car -- which was closed and locked, anyway. I agreed to have the car there during the time when most folks would be arriving to attend the event, and left well before the evening was over, to avoid the drunk folks leaving the club at 3am. I have to admit, things went a lot smoother than I expected.

But if the wrong folks had been in charge of the venue/event, and/or I had not cleared it with my insurance company, it could have been disastrous.

Jimmyvonviggle
03-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Question you might want to ask yourself, how do you get puke off or out of a DeLorean?

kobachi
03-13-2013, 11:13 PM
People "WILL" push, touch, turn and handle the keypad, overhead panel, drive switch handle and "they will" break it before the night is over.

To clarify, I don't have a Time Machine DeLorean, just a regular one. And this would all happen outside, where drinks are not allowed (Washington is not an open-container state). But thank you for all the advice, everyone!