PDA

View Full Version : General Funny Lapple story

dmcjohn
07-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Hi all,

I live about 20 mins from where the old Lapple factory was in Carlow, where all the stainless steel bodypanels were pressed for DMC. I'm always hearing stories when I'm out driving locally in my DeLorean about Lapple as many of the former workers live in the area.

Anyway, today I heard a new one! The offcuts of stainless steel were collected and taken for recycling by truck every so often. Apparently a truck full of small circular pieces of stainless (I'm picturing the circles you would be left with after cutting out mounting holes for the stainless panels) crashed shortly after leaving the factory and overturned, spilling the stainless discs all over the road. It was a hot day, and a lot of these became embedded in the tar in the road. As the story goes, for years afterwards as you approached the crash site, you would see the road glistening in the sunlight with the reflection of these discs embedded in its surface!

I'll drop by the location when I get a chance to get a pic and see if I can see any evidence, but at this stage it has probably been resurfaced. Still, worth investigating anyway!

John

A Van
07-02-2011, 05:45 PM
What a story that is!

David T
07-03-2011, 01:18 PM
With the value of S/S so high I would be surprised no one pried them out of the road by now!
David Teitelbaum