PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Voltage fluctuations

Kenny_Z
07-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Today I tackled the hard start issue with my D and finally have a car that will crank on the first try as long as I don't hit the dead spot in the starter. I have a new starter on order. I found my coil was cracked, thankfully my inline 6 Mustang donated a temporary coil to test with and it was successful. Tomorrow I'm going to track down a replacement. I don't know the history on the coil since the stang it came from doesn't run.

I took her for a drive and noticed a voltage fluctuation that changed with the RPMs. The D did this same thing with the previous coil. It wasn't too bad until it got dark. At a stoplight I had to keep the car in neutral to keep the RPMs above 1k or the voltage would drop so far it almost killed the engine. Failing alternator or bad ground?

On startup she jumps high into the 2k range before bouncing between about 500 and 1500 RPMs. I think that might be a vacuum leak, does anyone know where the vacuum advance line from the distributor connects to? I found it hanging free and I haven't found where the other end connects.

Rich
07-03-2011, 11:02 PM
....does anyone know where the vacuum advance line from the distributor connects to? I found it hanging free and I haven't found where the other end connects.

It's the upper hose in the vacuum hose routing diagram photo below.

It's #29 in this linked parts diagram:

Link: Fuel & Emissions → 2-4-0 Evaporative Control Systems (http://www.delorean.com/store/c-275-2-4-0-evaporative-control-systems.aspx)

The distributor vac adv hose #29 connects to one port on #27, the vacuum solenoid valve. Scroll down the parts diagram and click on #27 to get an image of the solenoid valve to help you ID it.

Kenny_Z
07-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Thank you for the diagram. It helped a lot and I was able to get the hose hooked up properly. It helped the car run much smoother.

I found the source of my issues. I purchased a good coil and a higher amp battery. The car's voltage still bounces a little but doesn't threaten to shut the car off. I think my alternator is just close to worn out since the belt is nice and snug. After my AC is fixed I'll look into replacing the alternator. My bank account needs a little time to recover as well. I knew it would take some cash to get this beauty back on her feet but it is still a bit of a shock to get below my cash comfort zone.

Right now I'm going through separation anxiety with my D so far away at the AC shop. I expect to be reunited tomorrow and have nice cold AC too :D

stevedmc
07-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Where are you located in Alabama? Are you anywhere near Mobile?

Kenny_Z
07-07-2011, 02:00 PM
I'm about an hour and a half from Mobile. I'm only a few minutes from Pensacola.

David T
07-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Voltage fluctuations can be caused by bad grounds. Clean them. A very important one is up front on the left side by the radiator support.
David Teitelbaum

Cory W
07-07-2011, 10:15 PM
+1 to David T.

While it seems insignificant, it's also worth removing the alternator and cleaning the mounting points on both the alt. end engine.