PDA

View Full Version : Fuel strong fuel smell

marcel
07-03-2011, 12:33 PM
I trailered my Delorean to a car show. When we got there to unload it, there was a very strong smell of fuel in the trailer. We didn't notice any fuel leak on the trailer floor. Once we got it out into open air, it didn't smell as bad. I only had about a quarter tank of fuel. Now that it's back in my garage, I can still smell fuel. Any ideas?

David T
07-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Pull the spare tire and the access cover. If the problem is that bad it should be obvious what is wrong. It is going to be the fuel pump boots and/or the fuel sender.
David Teitelbaum

Ryan King
07-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Pull the spare tire and the access cover. If the problem is that bad it should be obvious what is wrong. It is going to be the fuel pump boots and/or the fuel sender.
David Teitelbaum

Dead on. Mine has had this problem. If he boot is gooey and soft, its time to change it out. I would also check the clamp on the bottom of the boot and make sure its tight. I also added a second clamp to keep fuel out of the boot.

rddmc
07-03-2011, 03:05 PM
My guess is that when you follow David's suggestion, you will find about an inch of gasoline on top of your fuel pump. If so, disconnect the battery before fixing the problem.

Rod

SamHill
07-03-2011, 10:35 PM
disconnect the battery before fixing the problem.

:eek5: