PDA

View Full Version : Smog Emissions w/ Megasquirt

elfking
03-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Hi All,
I am considering this as a long term goal I was just curious if you guys feel like your cars are running well enough (with MS) to be able to pass the California sniff test (meaning the Nox, HC and all that fun stuff can still be put into spec with the right map) I am not worried about the visual aspect as much. I am sure since it's a standalone ecu as much I could just a have a nice map for smog time and a map for running nicely. Just thought I would ask the question if there's anything you have found you can't fully adjust into a 'stock' feel emissions wise... If that makes sense!

I have worked with other programmable ECU's but never with MegaSquirt.. I have always liked how much information is out there for them and so many options given the usual time & money aspect....

This is especially temping when I get the island turbos installed for the timing adjustments and fuel delivery alone!

Thanks,
-Brian

Spittybug
03-20-2013, 02:10 PM
It's hard to gauge by feel, but given the wide band O2 sensor and the ability to tailor both fueling and spark under any conditions, it absolutely can be set up to reach the minimum emissions level possible. The key is having the access to testing equipment!

I was talking to the Texas emissions guy just yesterday. He told me that he only has to visually inspect for cats if the car is newer than 1985. He also was very philosophical in pointing out that he isn't provided with any reference to show what "stock" looks like on any car, so how the hell does he know if you've altered it!

Visuals aside, you can control NOx and SOx with richer (cooler) charge and total HC with stoich charge or leaner. Spark timing will also play a role; making sure to advance more when under less load and more when under heavy load will make for a more uniform burn. Knowing at what RPM each test is conducted is key I would say.

elfking
03-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Perfect, thank you for the quick reply! I figured as much and the kinder smog technicians have told me similar that their books / paperwork for the DeLorean doesn't show what is and is not stock. So I figure I if I can keep the Shiny/Bling items to a minimum then I might be able to get away with it. I do know what the numbers should be and have access to a smaller sniff tester which is usually a good 'pre' test indicator if I would pass.. So this is looking good..

One more question does one prefer the stock intake Manifold (looks like that is what you have used) vs the Renault Z7U intake manifold ? if I could keep it looking as close to stock as possible I think that would be best! but I didn't really see any pictures of your engine bay with it all said an done?

Thanks again!
-Brian

It's hard to gauge by feel, but given the wide band O2 sensor and the ability to tailor both fueling and spark under any conditions, it absolutely can be set up to reach the minimum emissions level possible. The key is having the access to testing equipment!

I was talking to the Texas emissions guy just yesterday. He told me that he only has to visually inspect for cats if the car is newer than 1985. He also was very philosophical in pointing out that he isn't provided with any reference to show what "stock" looks like on any car, so how the hell does he know if you've altered it!

Visuals aside, you can control NOx and SOx with richer (cooler) charge and total HC with stoich charge or leaner. Spark timing will also play a role; making sure to advance more when under less load and more when under heavy load will make for a more uniform burn. Knowing at what RPM each test is conducted is key I would say.

AdmiralSenn
03-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Perfect, thank you for the quick reply! I figured as much and the kinder smog technicians have told me similar that their books / paperwork for the DeLorean doesn't show what is and is not stock. So I figure I if I can keep the Shiny/Bling items to a minimum then I might be able to get away with it. I do know what the numbers should be and have access to a smaller sniff tester which is usually a good 'pre' test indicator if I would pass.. So this is looking good..

One more question does one prefer the stock intake Manifold (looks like that is what you have used) vs the Renault Z7U intake manifold ? if I could keep it looking as close to stock as possible I think that would be best! but I didn't really see any pictures of your engine bay with it all said an done?

Thanks again!
-Brian

The Z7U will look more "correct" to the untrained eye as it is designed for EFI from the beginning. The stock manifold can be made to work but you'll have more of a hodgepodge of parts and they may be able to tell it's not stock since several of the parts will be custom. I vote Z7U just to save yourself some hassle.

Spittybug
03-20-2013, 07:51 PM
If it is my manifold that you are referring to, no, mine isn't stock. I have the Peugeot 604 manifold.

elfking
03-20-2013, 10:54 PM
If it is my manifold that you are referring to, no, mine isn't stock. I have the Peugeot 604 manifold.

Ah ha yeah definitely not stock! I guess I was looking at someone else's.... Well I guess I have some time but this definitely looks like ill have to add it to THE list of things to do to the car!

Thank you for all the info... I'm sure ill have more questions as I get closer...