PDA

View Full Version : LANCIA MONTECARLO, DeLorean's ugly lookalike...

ALEXAKOS
03-21-2013, 03:44 AM
Yesterday I visited the Athens Classic car show and froze upon the resemblance...
Then I searched the forum and member SMId had mentioned it in a post of his that this car is very similar to the DeLorean...
http://www.powerful-cars.com/images/lancia/1980-montecarlo-14.jpg

http://hooniverse.com/wp-content/gallery/tutto-italiano-autunno-2011/lancia-montecarlo-v11.jpg

LANCIA Beta Montecarlo (1974 - 1979)
Description & History: Chronologically, this was the last version of the Lancia Beta to hit the streets. Also designed by Pininfarina this car had the added bonus of being built by the famous designer's studio. The funny thing with this car is that while in prototype stage, it was supposed to be a Fiat, a successor to the Bertone. However, the car retained much of the Beta's bodywork. There were two generations made with a 2 year gap between them. Totally, some 7595 Montecarlos were built.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7155/6417735541_1d40e94ce0_z.jpg

attached my image of the car show.17568

OverlandMan
03-21-2013, 08:50 AM
Yesterday I visited the Athens Classic car show and froze upon the resemblance...
Then I searched the forum and member SMId had mentioned it in a post of his that this car is very similar to the DeLorean...

I don't know about this one. I'd say the similarities would be a stretch. The D was designed by Giugiaro not Pininfarina. This Lancia is a mid-engine configuration, whereas the D is rear engine. The D was built for the US market, where the Lancia was built for the European market with a Scorpion US version available (though in much smaller numbers). There are obvious other differences. Not sure about that engine cover...

ALEXAKOS
03-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Jeff, I think you have taken a microscope for your rightfully very detailed comparison.
The title reads "lookalike" and that was my point.
I am just mentioning the first glace similarity:
- Tail light and bezel
- Body outline
- Front darker line on the front of the hood
- Rear side windows (only on several releases of the model)
- Both Italian designers at the SAME era!

You must admit the silver one I took a photo of could be mistaken for an ugly D at a quick look. :ohcrap:

LEVY
03-21-2013, 10:16 AM
Jeff, I think you have taken a microscope for your rightfully very detailed comparison.
The title reads "lookalike" and that was my point.
I am just mentioning the first glace similarity:
- Tail light and bezel
- Body outline
- Front darker line on the front of the hood
- Rear side windows (only on several releases of the model)
- Both Italian designers at the SAME era!

You must admit the silver one I took a photo of could be mistaken for an ugly D at a quick look. :ohcrap:

You are not too far off, John Delorean was negotiating with Fiat/Lancia back in the 70's I believe.

LEVY

Dangermouse
03-21-2013, 10:43 AM
I have to say that I see it, definitely.

ALEXAKOS
03-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Ho scary similar is this image?
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXOv8jmC0a9ykM16p0HzoEe1ToQjrEj Dz6a0CyYp92IXDGoTNJ

plus, this little shitty FIAT even made it out on the tracks..... What has the D to show for in that section?:umm:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/attachments/other-italian-cars/92051d1202631235-lancia-montecarlo-scorpion-glen-800708-01a-bmt.jpg

DashEight
03-22-2013, 12:08 AM
Cant say I find the Lancia ugly. They were rather successful at rally racing so they were doing something right.

Rhsxo
03-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Their is a Lancia Monte Carlo in front of an auto shop in the next town over and everytime someone finds out I have a DeLorean, they always say "There's a DeLorean in front of an auto shop...". I have to tell them "That's a Lancia, not a DeLorean"

I talked with the auto shop owner and he was blown away that I knew it was a Lancia. He wanted to sell it to me for $500 but it was in really rough shape.

ALEXAKOS
03-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Their is a Lancia Monte Carlo in front of an auto shop in the next town over and everytime someone finds out I have a DeLorean, they always say "There's a DeLorean in front of an auto shop...". I have to tell them "That's a Lancia, not a DeLorean"
I talked with the auto shop owner and he was blown away that I knew it was a Lancia. He wanted to sell it to me for $500 but it was in really rough shape.

Oh boy... The similarity issues are that bad eh?? :bawling:

Like the countless times I heard people shout out "WOW! Look A Ferrari!!!" when I was driving by with my C3 Corvette...:popcorn:

eagle-co94
03-23-2013, 03:54 PM

For $500 I'd say you could easily throw a bunch of parts of it online for sale and double your money at the very least with very little effort.

Rhsxo
03-23-2013, 10:06 PM
For $500 I'd say you could easily throw a bunch of parts of it online for sale and double your money at the very least with very little effort.

Yea I suppose your right, but this thing may not even have $500 worth of good parts left. The black ragtop roof is partially pulled back and with a mix of rain and snow that has occurred in the past few months, the interiors probably even worse than the last time I saw it.

SamHill
03-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Looks closer to the inspector gadget car than ours does

SIMid
03-25-2013, 09:19 PM
The Monte to me wasn't the best looking Lancia. Probably one of the worse, even though they are worth more than any Beta in the series. If they weren't rust prone, they might have more desirability. But the Monta had dreadful handling, so the Delorean should come up trumps. :)

I have a soft spot for Lancias (have one trying to restore, bloody sucker I am) and they are a little quirky as well.

Ignore the Betas, check out the hot models from; Fulvia, Stratos and Delta.

Dangermouse
03-25-2013, 11:27 PM
I learned to drive in a Delta. Not many people can say that!

Not an Integrale unfortunately.

Kerichbe
03-26-2013, 08:49 AM
Growing up, I always liked the MonteCarlo. But as a young adult the Ferrari powered 1986 Thema 8.32 was also quite appealing.

JohnZ
05-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Living in Italy, I never had the chance to acually see a Lancia Beta Montecarlo on the road... A part from the Delorean visual connection, I would be curious to see and drive one of those cars! After all, they are oldtimers too!

Anyway, I always loved the Lancia Delta... when I was a kid (15 years ago) there was a man in my village that used to drive a red Delta... I loved it! It was a particular car even through my kid's eyes!

In the seventies my father owned a blue Lancia Fulvia Coupè just like this:

http://www.targhenere.net/gallery/photo.php?photo_id=4093

and then he switched to a Lancia Prisma... I never liked that Prisma.

:)

ALEXAKOS
07-18-2013, 08:28 AM
Well, somebody else saw the connecton....
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/486351_598638836832314_463752545_n.jpg
Or did he think he got him self a Delorean???:jawdrop:

Dangermouse
07-18-2013, 08:30 AM
You know that's a Fiat X1/9 ?

ALEXAKOS
07-18-2013, 10:36 AM
You know that's a Fiat X1/9 ?
Oops YES IT IS!:jawdrop:

Impressed! You know too much about FIAT's for an American. :yoda:
Ever talk about it with your "counselor"? :elmo1:

BTW this guy's black exhaust are way better than some I have seen of Deloreans...

JohnZ
07-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Wasn't the FIAT X 1/9 used as the very first prototype of the Delorean car? It was called "Red Rocket"! I just read it in SSI.

Well... as an Italian I feel proud of it!!

:)

DMC5180
07-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Yes, it was a test mule for testing the differential tire sizes and effects on handling.

Dangermouse
07-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Impressed! You know too much about FIAT's for an American. :yoda:

:yoda:From around here, I am not.;)