PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back, ODOCers

Cory W
05-24-2011, 08:34 PM
It just looked lonely here with "never" under the Last Post column :) Had to change that.

Let's get back up to speed! How's everyone's cars? On the road? How are they running? Any big projects? Any annoying issues?

micmak
05-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Good to be back.

......Mike......

Jamie
05-25-2011, 12:48 AM
Hey Cory, just added you on Facebook if I'm not mistaken.

Anyways, I'm still under the "awaiting the dream" section, but I'm hoping to be out of there as soon as my wallet allows.

Kukem
05-26-2011, 04:06 PM
I am currently in the process of Purchasing my DeLorean! woot! I will actually be coming to Ontario to get it next week! How would I go about joining the ODOC?! Since there is nothing in New Brunswick.... I'd be the only member! lol I am hoping to meet at least one other owner in the next week or so as I try to finalize this exciting endevour!

sdg3205
05-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Jamie,

I was just in your neck of the woods over the long weekend - Fenlon Falls and then up to Bancroft.

It would be great to get out to a ODOC meet sometime if it ever lines up with one of my journeys home.

Proooooobably wont have my car!

Wells Auto
05-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Good to be back! I didn't realize how much time I spend on this forum until it was gone.

Jimmyvonviggle
06-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Hi everyone I am new to this. My car doors are stuck closed. How would I go about getting into the car....I guess I'll be breaking that small window :(

Cory W
06-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Welcome to our madness, and before you do, please STOP! Maybe we can save you $68.42 plus shipping!

We should be able to walk you through this, but we need to know a few things before we can help you:
-Is is locked or unlocked? Do you have the keys in your possession?
-Can you get either door to at least partially open, or are they still totally closed?
-During your ownership, has this ever happened to you while you were in the car? How did you get out?

I suspect, based on experience with my own car, that the internal door/lock rods need adjustment, causing a "binding" that makes it hard to open. It's possible you could get a door opened by lifting the door handle while turning the key in the lock. Of course, that may not work, which is why we need more info.

Jimmyvonviggle
06-06-2011, 08:42 PM
This car has been sitting for many years and periodically the old owner was able to open the doors. So I have never been inside yet. I will try putting the key in and pulling on the handle. I believe it is the rods on the inside, but I can't access them (catch 22)

Cory W
06-06-2011, 10:36 PM
See if at least one door opens first. It will make things much easier.

In my particular case, one door was great, but I had to press down on the INSIDE door handle (resetting the bellcrank inside) in order for the key to work right.

Did your car come with the shop manual? If not, please follow this link (http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=251&d=1306354654) to download the section relevant to you in .pdf form. There is detailed instructions on how to adjust your door rods there on page P:02:11. I once did a how-to on removing the interior door handles, which I should rewrite soon.

Jimmyvonviggle
06-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Where does one go to change the oil? A Volvo dealer? Or an exotic car mechanic?

Cory W
06-08-2011, 07:33 PM
I do my own. I replaced my oil drain plug with a hex-head replacement (M16 x 1.50, off the shelf at Canadian Tire) and got a bunch of Bosch oil filters from DMC Midwest.

The square-hole oil drain plug can be kept if you have the socket (http://www.delorean.com/store/p-9097-drain-plug-socket.aspx) that works with it. I don't remember the size offhand, but trying to use a 3/8" ratchet head alone did not work for me.

The car uses close to 7 litres of oil. Make sure a copper washer is installed for the drain plug at every change.

FWIW, you could take it to any facility you trust to do it, but you may need to supply the filter and that drain plug tool. There are filter cross references, but they could interfere with the oil gauge sender and are often inferior to what's out there. I used a WIX 51516 filter until finally buying the Bosch filters.

Jimmyvonviggle
06-08-2011, 11:57 PM
OK, thanks for the info I will do that.