PDA

View Full Version : Cigar Lighter amperage/fuse

kobachi
03-21-2013, 11:58 AM
I used the instructions at 1561 Project (http://www.1561project.com/?page=ipod-craig) to wire a set of RCA aux jacks into my stock CRAIG stereo, and am now looking at using an Axxess AIP-RCA5V (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170772544432) to wire up charging/audio for my iPhone. The RCA leads will plug into the RCA jacks I added to the radio, and I'm thinking about removing the cigar lighter and using its leads for the power source and also as a hole from which to feed out the iPod connector :wrenchin: Does anyone know offhand:

How much power is available at these leads?
What kind of fuse they are on?
Whether they share that fuse with any other equipment?
If these leads are always-on or ACC-switched?

Thanks!

Exolis
03-21-2013, 01:44 PM
According to the Colored Schematics. It's on #17 Fuse (I don't know Fuse amount off hand, sorry), and it's connected to B+. It also shares Radio B+ feed.

kobachi
03-21-2013, 02:54 PM
According to the Colored Schematics. It's on #17 Fuse (I don't know Fuse amount off hand, sorry), and it's connected to B+. It also shares Radio B+ feed.

Thanks. I'm not clear on what B+ means here -- does that mean the cigar lead is always-hot, or only when the key is on?

Exolis
03-21-2013, 03:55 PM
It's connected to the Battery, so always on.

Ron
03-21-2013, 06:13 PM
#17- 20Amp: Cigarette Lighter, Radio Supply, Clock Supply

kobachi
03-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Perfect, thanks to you both for the quick info!

TTait
03-27-2013, 02:00 AM
One suggestion...

When I got my car someone had drilled a hole into the ashtray to allow a valet switch for an alarm. When I recently upgraded the stereo, I pulled the charging cable and aux audio cable into the ashtray, and coil the wires up there. When I want to plug in the phone, I slide back the cover and pull out the wires. When I don't want them, I coil them and the interior looks 100% stock.

I have a second USB under the ashtray that plugs into the thumb drive port on the stereo. I have a thumb drive plugged into it - When I want to update the contents fo that drive I lift out the ashtray and unplug the storage device.

I bring this up because I suspect that if you went to the trouble to modify the craig stereo, that you prefer 100% stock appearance over modified.

kobachi
04-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Indeed I ended up doing just as you suggest -- bought an extra ashtray off eBay, cleaned it up, drilled it, painted it, and wired up an iPhone charger/aux-out to the cigar lighter at my modded stereo. It was a fun weekend.

Three days later I decided to replace the stereo with a modern unit. Stock appearance be damned.

I'm sticking with the ashtray "dock" though, thanks very much for that idea.

I also managd to blow the 20A fuse several times =D