PDA

View Full Version : One for the spelling police

Dangermouse
03-22-2013, 10:07 AM
I laughed and then I cried when I read this last night

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/03/seattle-high-tech-clothing-store-runs-without-people/

key part:

"Hointer works from a customer’s own smartphone. All a shopper has to do is download the app, walk around the store and start scanning favorite items from the tags on the clothing. Once the item is scanned, the app allows shoppers to choose what sizes to try on, and indicates which fitting room the clothes will be in.

“Every fitting room has two shoots in it. One shoot is in, one shoot is out,” explained Shouraboura. “When you start tapping items you want to try on, they appear through the shoot.”

If an item doesn’t fit, the customer simply pulls up the app and requests a new size, and in 30 seconds the shoot spits out the new item".

I'd expect more from ABC News (though I'm not sure why).

How many people wrote, read and proofed this before it was published?

Jonathan
03-22-2013, 10:23 AM
Yikes. They picked the wrong chute, eye guess. Mite kneed a smarter smartphone.

At sum pointe in thyme wheel awl rely on software two knot only correct words naught spelled correctly, but also too pick which word is the write won in the first place.

Sum computer add that was on knot long ago had a girl saying "Eye learned two type bee four eye learned too right." Gooooooood knight, cheque please.

Ron
03-22-2013, 10:26 AM
LMAO

shoot

n.1. The motion or movement of something that is propelled, driven, or discharged.
2.a. The young growth arising from a germinating seed; a sprout.
b. A bud, young leaf, or other new growth on a plant.

3. A narrow, swift, or turbulent section of a stream.
4.a. The act of discharging a weapon or letting fly a missile.
b. Informal The launching of a rocket or similar missile.

5.a. An organized shooting activity, such as a skeet tournament or hunt.
b. A round of shots in a contest with firearms.

6. A session in which something is photographed, filmed, or videotaped.
7. The distance a shot travels; the range.
8. Nautical The interval between strokes in rowing.
9. A sharp twinge or spasm of pain.
10. An inclined channel for moving something; a chute.
11. A body of ore in a vein.

(I tried to save you ol' buddy, but it was too late. Hope your foot gets well soon...)

Dangermouse
03-22-2013, 11:57 AM
I think you give them too much credit Ron.

I have never, ever seen it written that way.

But if that's the norm, then color me corrected.

I learn more wonderful things about American English every day.

thirdmanj
03-22-2013, 12:01 PM
I learn more wonderful things about American English every day.

:facepalm: such a fucked up language...

If you think about it, it really emulates the culture perfectly, everybody uses it, nobody has any idea how the hell it really works.

Dangermouse
03-22-2013, 12:05 PM
:facepalm: such a fucked up language...

Before anyone goes off on me, I was not degrading American English. I just an noting that even though I consider myself bilingual (American English/Queens English) there are new American-isms I learn every day.

thirdmanj
03-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Before anyone goes off on me, I was not degrading American English. I just an noting that even though I consider myself bilingual (American English/Queens English) there are new American-isms I learn every day.

Oh not what I saying. English in general is just all kinds of messed up.

ccurzio
03-22-2013, 12:50 PM

OY. DINNA MAKE ME RING UP THE BOBBIES.

ALLO, GUVNAH.

http://i.imgur.com/QCIBcool.jpg

Ron
03-22-2013, 03:58 PM
Before anyone goes off on me, I was not degrading American English. I just an noting that even though I consider myself bilingual (American English/Queens English) there are new American-isms I learn every day.Translation- "I'm playing the bilingual card." Again. :devil: