PDA

View Full Version : In Portland OR and loving it.

sdg3205
03-30-2013, 11:28 PM
I've never been so taken with another city. I've been all around Canada and the states but there's just something about this city. Oregon is a gorgeous state.

In 2010 my wife and I camped our way down the pacific coast from BC to California and loved the oregon coastal regions. This time we also spent a day traveling in land to mt hood, and saw the timberline lodge, some water falls and beautiful scenery.

Yesterday we walked around portland doing the tourist thing, getting some good eats, hitting voodoo donuts, and also stopped by Powell books where I found a copy of "Dream Maker" and "Hard Driving" to add to my Delorean collection.

Before we set out I shot Steve (mluder) a PM asking for a few suggestions about what to do. His suggestions matched what my wife had dug up so we did them all.

What a beautiful state and a fantastic city. We are just wondering how to fill some time tomorrow before we head back north to Vancouver, BC.

Jonathan
03-30-2013, 11:42 PM
I remember going to a market that was entertaining. The picture I found I have of it says it is on Saturday, so not sure what the likelihood of it being open tomorrow is. There's also a nice downtown amphitheatre type thing you could get lucky and catch an outdoor concert on during the day, or maybe just some street performers, or maybe just some sunshine and a coffee :)

I'm not familair with Mt Hood, but you might consider checking out Mt St. Helen's on your way home. It is well worth the drive in to the parks and rec building to see it close.

sdg3205
03-30-2013, 11:49 PM
Mt St. Helens might be a go!

Thanks Jonathan!

Jonathan
03-31-2013, 12:15 AM
Yea, Mt St Helen's is good. From the interstate/main highway, it is a decent drive into the closest point you can get to, but lots of places to stop for photo ops along the way.

I don't remember much else, other than one really good Mexican restaurant in Hillsboro. Hillsboro is one of their suburbs and has a very large Intel campus there. Not sure what chips they make at the different fabs now, but Hillsboro has been their main R&D site for a while. Nike is there too :)

Have fun!!

beernpizzalover
03-31-2013, 04:39 AM
I love PDX! I know Portland better than Seattle...
It's a very eco (& bike) friendly city and, like you mwntioned, it's just plain gorgeous!!

mluder
03-31-2013, 12:13 PM
I've never been so taken with another city. I've been all around Canada and the states but there's just something about this city. Oregon is a gorgeous state.

In 2010 my wife and I camped our way down the pacific coast from BC to California and loved the oregon coastal regions. This time we also spent a day traveling in land to mt hood, and saw the timberline lodge, some water falls and beautiful scenery.

Yesterday we walked around portland doing the tourist thing, getting some good eats, hitting voodoo donuts, and also stopped by Powell books where I found a copy of "Dream Maker" and "Hard Driving" to add to my Delorean collection.

Before we set out I shot Steve (mluder) a PM asking for a few suggestions about what to do. His suggestions matched what my wife had dug up so we did them all.

What a beautiful state and a fantastic city. We are just wondering how to fill some time tomorrow before we head back north to Vancouver, BC.

That's awesome Dave... Glad you guys had fun.

I would have offered to meet up somewhere but my wife was out most of the day yesterday so the kid and I were stuck cleaning the garage.

Cheers
Steven

mluder
03-31-2013, 12:15 PM
I remember going to a market that was entertaining. The picture I found I have of it says it is on Saturday, so not sure what the likelihood of it being open tomorrow is. There's also a nice downtown amphitheatre type thing you could get lucky and catch an outdoor concert on during the day, or maybe just some street performers, or maybe just some sunshine and a coffee :)

I'm not familair with Mt Hood, but you might consider checking out Mt St. Helen's on your way home. It is well worth the drive in to the parks and rec building to see it close.

Yep - Saturday market - FWIW it's open Sunday's too. Missed that one. Sorry, Dave.

Cheers
Steven