PDA

View Full Version : Flux Capacitor Question

Ron
03-31-2013, 09:52 AM
While watching a review of the latest flux capacitor out, I noticed the warning to shield your eyes and had to wonder why Doc would have used clear glass there in the first place?

ccurzio
03-31-2013, 10:23 AM
Troubleshooting. Quick way to see whether it's "fluxing" or not, or if all three leads are working properly. With all of the wires hanging everywhere and everything installed with every regard to functionality and utility, fit and finish wasn't exactly high in the list of his requirements.

He picked a stylish car, and left it at that. :)

Ron
03-31-2013, 10:52 AM
lol....I can think of a simpler way to know if it was working or not w/o risking the dangers :deviltail:

Kenny_Z
03-31-2013, 11:17 AM
everything installed with every regard to functionality and utility, fit and finish wasn't exactly high in the list of his requirements.

Now that I think about it all of Doc's inventions in the movie were built with that in mind except the time train. I wonder if that was intentional by the producers and prop designers. You could argue that the time it took to build the train and possibly Clara's influence pushed him to build to a higher standard.

Jonathan
03-31-2013, 11:20 AM
While watching a review of the latest flux capacitor out, I noticed the warning to shield your eyes and had to wonder why Doc would have used clear glass there in the first place?

Technical/scientific reason? None that come to mind.

Hollywood reason? The audience can't see through it if it's not clear. It is a movie afterall :)

ccurzio
03-31-2013, 11:25 AM
Now that I think about it all of Doc's inventions in the movie were built with that in mind except the time train. I wonder if that was intentional by the producers and prop designers. You could argue that the time it took to build the train and possibly Clara's influence pushed him to build to a higher standard.

I fucking hate the time train, but I never even thought about that. Now I hate it even more.

Starglider
03-31-2013, 12:09 PM
With all of the wires hanging everywhere and everything installed with every regard to functionality and utility, fit and finish wasn't exactly high in the list of his requirements.

Also it's a prototype and Doc was probably running tests, modifying and replacing parts, generally tweaking the design through the build. Easier to do that if everything is accessible.

Ron
03-31-2013, 12:18 PM
Technical/scientific reason? None that come to mind.

Hollywood reason? The audience can't see through it if it's not clear. It is a movie afterall :)LOL GMAB, Hollywood, of coarse! But I asked about Doc specifically...I know he had a reason...one shouldn't blame Hollywood just because they can't figure it out, now...:evilgrin:

Ron
03-31-2013, 12:19 PM
Also it's a prototype and Doc was probably running tests, modifying and replacing parts, generally tweaking the design through the build. Easier to do that if everything is accessible.
:thumbup2:...Now we are getting somewhere!

ccurzio
03-31-2013, 12:21 PM
I already answered the question. :)

Hell, it was even proven when Marty looked at it and said "Flux Capacitor... Fluxing". He didn't have to even take his hands off the wheel to know it was working. Just a quick glance.

Indicator lights aren't as reliable as a visual inspection. The answer is simple utility.

Ron
03-31-2013, 12:28 PM
I already answered the question. :)

Hell, it was even proven when Marty looked at it and said "Flux Capacitor... Fluxing". He didn't have to even take his hands off the wheel to know it was working. Just a quick glance.

Indicator lights aren't as reliable as a visual inspection. The answer is simple utility.
BUT, but..but he wasn't wearing any eye protection DAMN IT....

ccurzio
03-31-2013, 12:30 PM
You don't need eye protection. The "light" being referenced is the super bright flash when the flux capacitor activates, not when it's just on.

It's like a laser pointer. You can look at the ambient generated light, just don't look at the light source itself.

Ron
03-31-2013, 12:32 PM
The "light" being referenced is the super bright flash when the flux capacitor activates, not when it's just on. I don't believe you...even if it wasn't a prototype...

thirdmanj
03-31-2013, 12:35 PM
At some point, this thread-line skeeeeewd into this nerd tangent...

Dangermouse
03-31-2013, 01:16 PM
At some point, this thread-line skeeeeewd into this nerd tangent...

That point would be post #1 :)

Jonathan
03-31-2013, 01:21 PM
That point would be post #1 :)

Clearly a nerd sub forum is required at this point...

Ron
03-31-2013, 01:24 PM
Somehow, I'm beginning to like the Hollywood aspect of the subject better now. :devil:

Jacko
03-31-2013, 04:18 PM
LOL GMAB, Hollywood, of coarse! But I asked about Doc specifically...I know he had a reason...one shouldn't blame Hollywood just because they can't figure it out, now...:evilgrin:Ron, what does GMAB mean?:confused:

thirdmanj
03-31-2013, 04:26 PM
In regards to the Time Train, I always thought it was supposed to be Jules Verne inspired. That's why it looked so steam-punk like. Come to think of it, the Time Train was Steam-Punk before Steam-Punk was a thing.

Ron
03-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Ron, what does GMAB mean?:confused:
Give Me A Break

Sammy
03-31-2013, 05:49 PM

Um, you do realize that Back to the Future was a fiction movie? Do you?

Ron
03-31-2013, 05:56 PM
Um, you do realize that Back to the Future was a fiction movie? Do you? Yeah right -- Next you will be telling me there is no Easter Bunny...

thirdmanj
03-31-2013, 08:16 PM
Um, you do realize that Back to the Future was a fiction movie? Do you?

No way dude. BTTF is proof of time travel.