PDA

View Full Version : DMC-2 First design sketch

Michael
03-31-2013, 11:50 AM
OK, I dinally roughed out a basic design for the DMC-2. I tried to design this car keeping a lot of not only the basic shape of the original DMC-12, but the design principles of the era intact. I also wanted it to look updated enough for present day. It would be easy to just pull a sleek car design out of mt butt and slap "DMC-2" on it, but I wanted to give it a present day look with a retro throwback homage to the original. Basically what all the car manufacturers are doing today(Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, PT Cruiser, HHR, SSR, etc.)

What I am finding especially difficult is a 3 view rendering. Sure one angle is easy, but making the exact same car from another angle and making all the lines match up is something else. I still have much to do before I begin the actual shading and rendering, I want to do a full front view and a 3/4 rear. In case it doesn't show, there will be a LOT of underbody showing and I am incorporating that into the finished look. The stainless will affix to the underbody in places, but it will show in the center and really give it some depth. I have included my "prototype" profile sketch to keep me from drifting too far from my original concept.

Spittybug
03-31-2013, 04:36 PM
With that much of a wedge shape I think you'd need to be a mid engine design, not rear. Center of gravity would be too high and too far back.... Looks cool though!

Michael
03-31-2013, 11:31 PM
With that much of a wedge shape I think you'd need to be a mid engine design, not rear. Center of gravity would be too high and too far back.... Looks cool though!

Thanks Owen... I don't put a lot of thought in the engineering aspect. If for some reason DMCH decides to manufacture cars and pick up my artwork for peliminary consideration (anyone care to put odds on that?), then they can work out the logisitcs. I just concentrate on the asthetics and learning how to use my tablet. Did the front later today, I will just do a close up shot of the tail lights and not a full 3/4 shot from the rear to finish out the outline. 17812

john 05141
04-09-2013, 03:55 AM
I wonder if it would be cool to have glass in the roofparts of the doors too.
jan