PDA

View Full Version : Word of Caution - eBay '81 DeLorean VIN6647

kajcienski
07-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Hello all - I wanted to take a second to caution any buyers concerning an '81 DeLo (Auto) currently listed on eBay with 56k miles. I happened to be visiting family 20 miles from this listing and took a quick look at it. The ad reads:

"1981 Delorean dmc 12 automatic transmission stainless steal exterior outstanding. Inside is like new. A/C Blows cold. very sound mechanically. Everything is in good working order. Tires and Brakes good. Very nice car $20,000"

Be strongly cautioned that this car is being falsely advertised and needs significant cosmetic and mechanical work.

Among some of the issues: Interior is far from "like new" including seat splits (leather is very tight/stiff), stained/warn carpeting, drooping headliners, broken door panel, sun damage (it is currently parked in direct sun at the side of the road), speakers have been mounted on the dashboard, and the list goes on. Needs a good amount of attention in general. The "outstanding" exterior, though no significant damage to the stainless "steal" as he writes, is mared by deep swirls and cross grain marks. Fascias have been painted a dark gunmetal gray and has warping in the front fascia. The doors do not shut properly (seals are dry, cracked, and missing) - and the latch posts were somehow mounted on the wrong side of the door jam and when fixed, left damage to both the door and door frame. Doors do not lock properly, when shifting into drive I found myself in neutral, you get the idea... It did blow cold AC though! ;)

I saw that someone had bid 15k on this (his reserve is 20k) and knowing that there are several people on this forum looking for a D, I wanted to put this info out there as I would hate for anyone to be taken on this listing.

tyb323
07-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Thanks! Nice catch. I really can't stand these blatant liars on ebay. They neglect the car, let it sit, and then realize it's a P.O.S., but try to sell it for top dollar and hope some poor sap comes along and bites...

Soundkillr
07-04-2011, 11:20 AM
As a side note this is an excellent example of why you should not use ebay to gauge the marque value. I to have seen cars as excellent condition, and upon inspection are absolute dawgs.

DeLorean
07-04-2011, 11:59 AM
This is much less typical, but there are some others that will understate the condition due to their lack of knowledge of the car.

kajcienski
07-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks! Nice catch. I really can't stand these blatant liars on ebay. They neglect the car, let it sit, and then realize it's a P.O.S., but try to sell it for top dollar and hope some poor sap comes along and bites...

I have to say it was pretty shocking to have read the eBay description and then actually see the car. The guy selling it I would say is about 80 and I think flips cars in his spare time (he claims he has owned 5 DeLoreans and "knows what they go for"). I asked him how long he has had it, he said "not long", I said "well how long", he said "a few months", I said "like 3 or like 8", he came back with "a few months". If the guy was younger, I would have really laid into him for posting something so false, even the online pictures are very deceiving and some have been blurred and areas avoided. It was one of those situations where nothing "looked right". It just really bothers me knowing some potentially young and excited kid looking to buy their dream DeLorean could get suckered into something like this - I would be crushed, and very angry... I can deal with overpriced D's but flat out lying about the condition really gets under my skin. Does anyone know if eBay's buyer protection would cover something like this for the buyer? Would the seller really get away with it? Rant over :)

Kukem
07-04-2011, 05:37 PM
The only thing I can find in Ebay's Vehicle Purchase Protection that covers undisclosed damage is for vehicles less than 10 years old.

"In addition, the VPP also provides protection against certain undisclosed damage for vehicles that are less than 10 years old:

The vehicle had undisclosed engine, body, transmission, and/or frame damage at the time of purchase that will cost more than $1,000 to repair. The cost of repair to any one of those components must exceed $1,000. For vehicles in the Boats (engine and hull only), Buses, Commercial Trucks, and RVs & Campers categories, the cost of the undisclosed engine, body, transmission, or frame damage must exceed $1,500. Race Cars are not eligible for this protection. Vehicles that are subject to a recall for this type of damage are not eligible for VPP."

I didn't go through everything, but I did remember reading this when I looked online for a DeLorean earlier in the year.

Michael
07-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Well I have to say I got my car off ebay and it was a pretty good buy, actually a steal. OK I didn't buy it off ebay, I found the auction and contacted the buyer outside ebay channels. I think the point that needs to be made is there is a difference between bidding and buying. I took a chance on my car by flying 1000 miles down to inspect it and take delivery. If the car was misrepresented I would have been out some airfare and some time.

What gets me is that a lot of these ebay bidders bring it upon themselves. They bid, pay, then inspect, thinking a few low res pictures tell the story...sometimes even arranging delivery before they even see the car, but thats a whole long winded post. I just wanted to post this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Excellent-body-5sp-A-C-Leather-/140571730382?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item20baba61ce

Damn thing is at 11k with 5 days left...who is bidding on that pile of crap??? Thats some crazy "calculator steering wheel mod" syndrome gone into hyperdrive. What's up with that insturment cluster and shifter...and what the hell is that thing stuck on the hood, a vent?

Isn't it sad that cars like this bring 10-15k, but a well sorted out D struggles to reach 25k.

mluder
07-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Well I have to say I got my car off ebay and it was a pretty good buy, actually a steal. OK I didn't buy it off ebay, I found the auction and contacted the buyer outside ebay channels. I think the point that needs to be made is there is a difference between bidding and buying. I took a chance on my car by flying 1000 miles down to inspect it and take delivery. If the car was misrepresented I would have been out some airfare and some time.

What gets me is that a lot of these ebay bidders bring it upon themselves. They bid, pay, then inspect, thinking a few low res pictures tell the story...sometimes even arranging delivery before they even see the car, but thats a whole long winded post. I just wanted to post this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Excellent-body-5sp-A-C-Leather-/140571730382?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item20baba61ce

Damn thing is at 11k with 5 days left...who is bidding on that pile of crap??? Thats some crazy "calculator steering wheel mod" syndrome gone into hyperdrive. What's up with that insturment cluster and shifter...and what the hell is that thing stuck on the hood, a vent?

Isn't it sad that cars like this bring 10-15k, but a well sorted out D struggles to reach 25k.

I also bought my car privately after seeing it posted on EBay. I contacted the guy through EBay and asked to look at it. The car was in much worse shape cosmetically than his auction description - the dash pad, binacle were sun burnt and cracked, the passenger knee pad and top of center console were sun damaged, there are three good sized dents on the stainless, the driver dorr doesn't close quite right, the rims have curb wear... and that's things that were blatently obvious but NOT listed in the auction.

There are also a few mechanical problems but I think they were probably unknown at the time.

Never the less, he was asking $30K with a reserve of $25. I told him no way and offered him $20 because it had recently had about $9000 dollars in engine, brakes, and cooling work to get it running again and because it had only 6000 original mile on it. He said no so I waited out the auction and he called within a few minutes after he didn't get his reserve.

I'm happy with my purchase and I'll get it back in to shape. However, If I had traveled a distance to see the car or, God forbid, bought it sight unseen I would have been extremely upset at the condition upon delivery.

Just my 2 cents.

uhhair
07-05-2011, 05:10 PM
This thread just proves how valuable a strong community like ours is to aide in any potential future owner making a purchase off of a website like ebay or craigslist.

Virtually anywhere in the world, you can contact someone on this forum who lives locally to the car in question, and they would be happy to inspect the vehicle and give you a delorean owner's true description of the car. Really makes hunting for a delorean much easier and safer than buying one basically blind on ebay.

Kukem
07-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Virtually anywhere in the world, you can contact someone on this forum who lives locally to the car in question, and they would be happy to inspect the vehicle and give you a delorean owner's true description of the car.

This is what I've done for the few cars I have been interested in. I honestly hae to admit, this is a very helpful community.

DMC02766
07-06-2011, 09:38 AM
This is what I've done for the few cars I have been interested in. I honestly hae to admit, this is a very helpful community.

I totally agree... it is definetely a very valuable resource to have!

Ashyukun
07-06-2011, 02:50 PM
I was kind of fortunate in buying mine from eBay- I actually didn't win the auction but was the 3rd highest bidder- and two who bid more than me backed out. As such, I was able to go up (it was a 4 hour or so drive away) and inspect it before finally agreeing that purchase it for my highest bid. I have had some say that I paid too much for it- and I know that the seller made a decent amount on it- but I've not regretted it at all.

Chris Burns
07-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Car just sold for 20k

Ashyukun
07-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Car just sold for 20k
Be interesting to see if it actually 'sells' though... on the auction where I bought mine, the top 2 bidders backed out- and that was without them seeing the car (and it was described pretty accurately with a number of pictures).

jmrydholm
07-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Yikes- speakers mounted on the dash? How tacky...

kajcienski
07-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Car just sold for 20k

Yikes! I want to be there when the buyer has his first gaze upon the "like new" interior and "flawless" exterior. I would probably shed a tear ;) I feel so bad for the buyer knowing he paid 20k. If anyone hears anything more about the transaction, would love to see it posted here. I have seen worse cars, but this was a classic case of deception in the description. Sigh...

Cory W
07-06-2011, 07:03 PM
I know if I took the time to purchase this vehicle and go get it, I'd back out, after taking pictures to show as a warning. Guy would also get feedback to the effect of "car misrepresented"

What's the law there for vehicle misrepresentation? Would a surprised buyer have a case in state court?